Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 9:37 AM Last edited by Delphy : 8th Mar 2005 at 12:28 PM.
Default Front Page redesign and removal of chatbox
Hi All,

You may have noticed the redesign of the front page - we hope you like it! We've made things easier to find and put the search box in an easy to use location. You do have to scroll down a little to find the latest downloads, but then you had to anyway

One major change that you'll notice is that the chatbox is no longer. All the staff felt that it wasn't really adding anything to the site, and in fact questions where asked there that where being bumped off quickly. Probably only 10 people used the chatbox regularly, and it's really a hangover from the old e107 days when we didn't have a Live Chat feature.

We suggest those who would have used the chatbox for chatting now check out the Live Chat. Those who want to ask a question - please read the forums as per normal.

We thank you all for your patience in the short downtime, and as always, comments about the redesign can be posted here, or more general wishes in the Site Wishlist forum.

Credits go to:
tkdjunkie, for the original layout plan
loverat, rgiles, whitefolks, daysies, faylen, for the input into the look
delphy, for the coding

I've also cleaned up the PHP code, and removed some spurious SQL statements we don't need anymore - so you should find the page loads a lot quicker now

Regards,
MTS2 Staff

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Faster kill pussycat
#2 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 9:51 AM Last edited by nova-storm : 8th Mar 2005 at 9:55 AM.
I like it . Less is always better. But One thing I am not sure of:slow: and might be a good add to the front page. is How/Where to start a forum/thread. I have a thread I would like to start but have NO clue how to do it.

I have learned so much here. And every one is so nice thank you Mighty Mouse :cdance: :
nova

:sniper:
Forum Resident
#3 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 9:57 AM Last edited by KKai : 8th Mar 2005 at 9:59 AM.
Wow ... A professional look, sort of ...

However, the member list does appear to be too long and big.
On the front page, it may better to show just mods/admins who are currently online.

And, a very noticeable improvement of the loading time.

nova-storm
Give the sheep a break ... :D
Forum Resident
#4 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:03 AM
yeah where is post a new thread butten i dont see it i can only reply :confused:
Forum Resident
#5 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:03 AM
Bars in the "poll box" appear to have a miner error.
Faster kill pussycat
#6 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:07 AM
[quote]However, the member list does appear to be too long and big.
On the front page, it may better to show just mods/admins who are currently online.[quote]

But I like the member list kinda makes me feel less alone

nova
:sniper::sniper:
Field Researcher
#7 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:08 AM
I like it very much and the loading times realy feels comfortable now. You left the poll box? I would prefer to get up the latest forumpost list and maybee have it a bit longer. I guess this forumbox is the most used clicking area on your site. Thanks a lot Delphy.
Faster kill pussycat
#8 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:12 AM Last edited by nova-storm : 8th Mar 2005 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I'm dumb
One small prob.

every time I do a search the sight logs me out. I have had to log back in about 4x so far :confused:

nova

:sniper: :weep:

Now I'm not looking for absolution. Forgiveness for the things I do. But before you come to any conclusions. Try walking in my shoes. You'll stumble in my footsteps.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:18 AM
NovaStorm and CarlyDunham, the new thread button appears when you have opened the forum you wish to post in. Was it once on the front page?
Faster kill pussycat
#10 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:23 AM
I dont know cuz I am so new but It would be nice if it was on the front page in brite size72 font letters that blinked and hit me so I could find it :slow:
nova
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:28 AM
It would be a bit complicated though, because then it would have to ask you which forum you wanted to start the thread in. It's probably simpler to choose the forum first before posting your message.
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:35 AM
I'm hoping that the new posts stay above the site news & announcements...More convinient that way.The first thing i do on this site is look at the new posts,rather than site news,so....
Test Subject
#13 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:39 AM
very nice look, i like it.

but i would like the latest-forum-posts-box and "latest downloads" a bit longer as well - the announcement-box is far bigger then them... and as we keep reading them regulary, theres not much point...this box should be scrollable for finding older announcements. only my suggestions

nice work all in all - thanks delphy and the others!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:41 AM
KKai, we're actually debating to remove the member list from the front page completely, except for mods and admins. Also I can't see any rendering errors with the poll bars.

Also, we removed the TOP New Thread button in the forumdisplay about 3 days ago Now you actually have to scroll through the list of posts before you get to it.

Nova, not sure why it is logging you out.... cookies?

Peter,

It's a good point about the forum thread list, but really the front page just acts as a portal to the rest of the site, and bumping the thread list up would make the news and poll less important.
Faster kill pussycat
#15 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:58 AM
[quote]Nova, not sure why it is logging you out.... cookies?[quote}

That is why you are a god Delphy

thank you saved the daaaaaaaaaaaaaay again
nova runs off turn here cookies down :hide:
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 11:09 AM
*mourns the death of the chatbox*
*3 seconds later*
Okay, done mourning :P

I was suprised you still kept the whos online box...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 11:29 AM
Not any more =)

You can still click the "Online" text to get a list.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 11:37 AM
I like the new look, it makes much more sense to have it set up this way. Plus the site is running much faster for me ... if only I could get my browser to behave. Thanks a bunch Delphy
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 11:38 AM
*dies from an inability to adapt to change* :P
I likes it :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
#20 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 12:16 PM
I like the new layout and the new colour scheme (that light grey made the highlighted words look *less* important then the rest of the text!).

Thanks
Field Researcher
#21 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:07 PM
Looks great! wuv it

:howdy:
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:10 PM
nice n small
goodness
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:12 PM
I like the new look!!! It is so clean...and yeah, it was a bit of a surprise, but a good one. My only thing is that when I scrolled over the topics, it used to show the first entry of a thread.

Thanx.
Test Subject
#24 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:17 PM
i like it very much. my only question is what happens whit daysies thread from the frontpage? i tried a search on her name but i can not find it
Test Subject
#25 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:22 PM
i just found it
Page 1 of 3