Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2014 at 12:19 PM
Default Making separate image maps for one mesh?
I'm relatively new to meshing, and have always struggled with mapping. I can manage okay if there is just one object in the mesh, but I'm in the process of creating a vintage food tin set. The thing I would like to know is can I have separate image maps for each tin I create within the mesh? They don't fit very well on the image map altogether as some of the tins look fine whereas the textures on others look really stretched. Am I making sense?

Sim Fans UK - Free downloads, tutorials, game help and chat!

I'm selling my vBulletin 4 suite - please contact me if you are interested in buying it.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th May 2014 at 12:34 AM
Yes, you can. If you separate the mesh out into multiple groups, you can then make multiple subsets, one per group, each with its own texture, following this tutorial. Bear in mind that you can only have two recolourable subsets, though I believe you can have as many unrecolourable subsets as you like.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th May 2014 at 1:37 PM
Thank you very much, I'll have a look at that

I'm selling my vBulletin 4 suite - please contact me if you are interested in buying it.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th May 2014 at 5:52 PM
I think I'm beginning to get it now - if I created a chair with both fabric and wood, the subsets would mean you could choose both the fabric and the wood separately in-game?

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th May 2014 at 7:58 PM
Yes, exactly. The two subsets would also not share a texture, so you wouldn't have to worry about making sure that the wood parts are UV mapped separately from the fabric parts - you can have them overlap as much as is convenient.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th May 2014 at 9:34 PM
Ooh, that's even better! My mapping leaves a lot to be desired, so that would make things a bit easier. I managed to make a champagne and glasses set once, with the glasses being transparent. I remember having a terrible time getting it right - is that the same kind of thing?

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th May 2014 at 11:18 PM
That would certainly be a lot easier using subsets. If you think about windows - the trim and the glass are two separate subsets, with the glass subset set up to use a transparent glass shader, and the trim being a regular opaque shader. It'd be the same with drinks glasses, reading glasses... all sorts.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th May 2014 at 11:44 AM
Right, well if I've done it once, I'm sure I can do it again - thank you for your help!