Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 1:34 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 21st Sep 2013 at 4:10 PM.
Default Avoiding pixelated textures by using SimPE and GIMP problem, please help :) -SOLVED I think, I'm not really sure, see last post
Hello! I wasn't sure whether to necro the old thread, or make a new one, so sorry if it's wrong.

I was following this advice by Fakepeeps7 here in comment 7, http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=437379, when I got stuck. I used a maxis dress because the original texture had no pixelation, so I would be able to see if it worked. However, my png ended up like this:

As you can see, there are ugly black lines around the edges of the dress texture, at the top. But also, the tights are a solid brown, when they should be kind of see-through. I hope that makes sense. I replaced the texture anyway, and it did look bad in the game.

What it should look like:

What it does look like:

I am using GIMP instead of Photoshop, so I don't know if that's the problem.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Thankyou
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 1:41 PM
That's a problem with the transparency. Did you make sure to enable transparency in GIMP when you were saving? Could you post a pic of your PNG saving options in GIMP? I have to admit, I don't know if GIMP/PNG actually supports partial transparency, and if not that could be the problem - you can see that where the texture is supposed to be 100% transparent, like on the arms, that's working fine; but where the texture is supposed to be translucent, such as on the tights and the skinshadows, those sections are coming out with 0% transparency.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 2:10 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 21st Sep 2013 at 4:06 PM.
Thanks for answering. I'm not sure how to be honest, I've only ever used GIMP to make clothes for the sims, so I only know how to use the funtions I've used when following tutorials. GIMP isn't instinctive to use, I find. If you know what I mean.

EDIT-I've been googling and fiddling around a bit, and I managed to make this using 'add layermask':