Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 11:30 AM
Default Mesh shows in CTU - crashes game
I am creating a toddler skirt mesh and wanted to see it in game. Before creating textures and masks. I must have done something wrong though (or forgot to do something) as the mesh crashes the package crashes the gmae if you try to use it.

I have been trying to find a tutorial online that could help me figure out where I went wrong. I am thinking the issue occurs somewhere in the adding of vertices that I did. I did autonumber.

I copy pasted comments from base mesh.

Anyone have any ideas on where I might want to start looking?

Thank you.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 2:02 PM
Adding vertices or renumbering does not crash your game, a corrupt package does.

when creating a package with CTU you only can attache the meshes one time, updating them later with CTU will give you a corrupt package that will crash your game.
you might have done that?
Updating the meshes should be done with S3PE or Postal, or start over with CTU.

renumbering the vertices is not needed with toddlers, they dont have any morphs(not slider enabled)
Other then that i need some more info on the mesh, how did you create it?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Other then that i need some more info on the mesh, how did you create it?

But renumbering doesnt hurt, right? I like to form good habits and I'm using toddlers as a gateway. Start simple. Build on it.

I did not update the meshes in CTU. It happened with the first package.

I started with pfBottomDiaper.
Imported a portion of tfBodyEP4DressSideFlower that I had isolated and saved previously.
Imported puNudeBottom and puNudeTop. Regrouped Nudes into a single group.
Imported pfBodyDressPetalSleeveCollar.

With groups hidden and unhidden as the situation called for I duplicated the tfBodyEP4DressSideFlower for a total of three tiers. Scaled, and moved the tiers to what I thought looked good. Pulled a section from the waist of pfBodyDressPetalSleeveCollar (rest was deleted). Used Vertex Data Merge to line the bottom of waist portion with the top tier.

Decided pfBottomDiaper wasn't working. Imported puTopShirtTee and puBottomPants_corduroy for bleedthrough check and waist comparison.

Scaled, moved, Vertex Data Merged until I was happy with the shape and look.

Deleted Nude, Tee and Pants references.
Imported puBottomNude.
Exported as .obj
Seperated Tiers on the UV map.
Milkshape -> New -> Imported .obj
Used Texture co-ordinator to tweak UV map until I was happy.

Regrouped into one. Renamed to GEOM-00.
Renumbered.
Imported puBottomNude.
Copied comments. from Nude to GEOM-00.
Deleted Nude.
Exported as .simgeom

Created lod 2 and lod 3 following http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=429672

Replaced legs in lod 2 and 3 with nude lod2/3 legs. Autosmoothed (this was to get normals fixed so I could check the mesh in game). Exported as .simgeoms.

Packaged meshes with an empty normal map. Saved and tried to see it in game.

It crashed and I thought because I didn't renumber lod2/3 so I went into lod2/3 and renumbered and exported. Packaged anew and tried in game again. Same result.

I think that is everything I did. I thank you for your patience. I have been trying to follow tutorials but I cannot find one about steps for adding/deleting vertices, or how to handle comments.

I am attaching some of the files. the .simgeoms, two failed packages, .ms3ds I saved and the .obj I imported into milkshape.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  SJBequeathpftutu.rar (321.5 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 1:13 AM
renumbering is pretty useless i think but i will check some files first.
im guessing the comments FNVitems is set to 6 wich will make you lose the renumbering on export anyway
Ill have a look later when i have time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 2:43 AM
I appreciate it! I'm going to keep trying to fix it so if I figure it out I'll update. Thank you again.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 2:13 PM
The mesh itself looks ok but it is missing all the boneassignements.
This doesn't explain the crash tho, when a mesh has no boneassignements it often invisible in CAS as all vertices will snap to the floor.

Also keep in mind that the comments for the medium and low lod are diffrent.

I am afraid you best start over, reassigning a mesh is alot of work
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 4:18 PM
That's not necessarily correct - I have often had meshes cause a crash due to lack of bone assignments, although not reliably.

And, you can update meshes multiple times in CTU, although you do have to close and reopen the program between updates.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
And, you can update meshes multiple times in CTU, although you do have to close and reopen the program between updates.

Maybe you can explain how to do so?
Reopening and reattaching meshes and then trying to save will not work.
Using ''save as'' will crash CTU while using ''save'' will make the package corrupt.
Renaming the meshfile(and commiting) does not make any diffrences.

alot of people already tried this and failed, im wondering wat im doing wrong then.

I have the same problem when trying to update a custom normalmap in a already created package.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 7:56 AM
I noticed the missing bone assignments when I was poking around yesterday. I started assigning bones and am about 1/2 way done on LOD 1. slow going but hopefully it is a step to getting this to work.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 8:58 AM
oh, alot of work....
You dont have to do the legs, those you can reimport and use.