Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#3126 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:05 AM Last edited by Motorcitydude : 29th Jun 2014 at 11:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I'm not buying it.

If only more people thought like you.

Quite simply, E.A.'s going to E.A. It's do what it's going to do. People giving them their money only encourages them.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3127 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:07 AM
TS1 had emotions too. I remember my very first game of The Sims. I played with the Goths, and Mortimer burned to death trying to cook breakfast for his wife and daughter. Bella was completely unfussed, but poor Cassandra spent days wandering off to sob in her parents' room. And then Bella moved out (and in with her pink-haired girlfriend, my first sim ever, Froglips) and left Cassandra alone to cry about her dead dad. Maybe not as complex as what they're doing for TS3, but... that was 14 years ago and I still remember that poor little pixel girl whose daddy died and mama didn't care.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3128 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:08 AM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 29th Jun 2014 at 12:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
(...)
You mean there wasn't supposed to be a plumbob?
Then again, while I knew WE can see their plumbob, I didn't know the sims were aware of the plumbob over their heads until now, either.
I think what this was intended to mean is that the "rule" says that Sims should not be aware of their plumbotb. It's a non-diegetic element (or rather part of a different diegetic layer). Awareness of the plumbotb by the characters in-game would break the fourth wall, roughly speaking.
Instructor
#3129 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Maybe not as complex as what they're doing for TS3, but... that was 14 years ago and I still remember that poor little pixel girl whose daddy died and mama didn't care.

If there were a clapping emoticon, I'd use it here.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3130 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:10 AM
The fourth wall is already somewhat broken by sims looking up at the camera and waving and shouting about not being able to route somewhere. I don't remember them doing that in TS3 much but they definitely did in TS2.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Instructor
#3131 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:12 AM
The fourth wall is already somewhat broken by sims looking up at the camera and waving and shouting about not being able to route somewhere. I don't remember them doing that in TS3 much but they definitely did in TS2.

Indeed. I see all these reasons why the predecessors are better than TS4, but no reasons why TS4 is better than its predecessors.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3132 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:13 AM

And TS1. In TS2 they were horrid about it - you tell a sim to do something he didn't enjoy and he'd turn and pull a sulky "why me?" face at you. Graham was indicating that traditions were handed down to each new team member - but I think in a verbal sense. I think a lot gets lost in the telling that would be rediscovered in the playing.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#3133 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:15 AM
And he's gone. Feel better, Graham!

Thanks for stopping by!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3134 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Calling it now, toddlers will never be added. Pools? Yeah, probably. Toddlers? NEVER.

ModTheSims Forum archaeologists will uncover this thread in several years after the game has failed. As they search through thousands of dusty, decaying posts and read the words of long dead members for answers they will see that I was right. And I will be a god.

Sorry I said that over 100 pages ago - I'm afraid I'm more godlike than you.
https://www.modthesims.info/show...647#post4423647

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#3135 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:19 AM
So do Sims actually need cars at all? Given they way the neighbourhood is constructed. I'm nervous about things being added in patches as well, patches were a bit hit and miss in Sims 3. And I wonder if the exp packs will combine at all like in Sims 2? At the moment Sims 4 feels like a kickstarter game , only most of those actually add what they promise in my experience. We need to actually see some evidence of what remains playable rather than hearing "yes lots and lots in there" every five minutes.
I think it would have been better to release this as an online game standalone, it would have made money, got the tablet crowd etc and then the team could have put their time and efforts into a true next gen life simulator sandbox for the real Sims 4 we were expecting. I dunno, I didn't want any online stuff but I probably would have bought it out of interest anyway, as long as the full simulator was also available later on.
You can't make a hybrid of life sim and rpg and throw in online stuff and do any of those elements justice.
EA has the absolute monopoly on this life sim little people thing, just stick to making that the most powerful, flexible and versatile beast it can be and stop being greedy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3136 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:21 AM
Also... I wanted to take a moment to address "weirder stories." Because it seems to be a MAJOR selling point of TS4 and I think it's a huge, wild mistake.

There's always been weird in the sims series. Taking away the pool ladder, sims peeing themselves at weddings, changing into a diving costume to greet the headmaster when he comes to visit... I have a picture somewhere from TS3:IP where my sim finished diving and plopped down on the couch in his wetsuit and flippers to watch tv, with hot dogs (I think they were dog toys?) all over the floor. Weird is fun, weird is awesome. But the weird came, not from deliberate attempts at making weird happen, but just out of the normal gameplay. An entire party would end up in the bathroom with everyone having a shoo-fight because they all had to pee, and that was weird, and it was funny.

But when you push weird, it cheapens it. It makes it no longer fun. The promo with the sims playing chess in mexican wrestling masks? WHY? It just smacks of a bouncy 13 year old shouting "POTATO!" and then laughing their asses off at themselves, going, "I'M SO RANDOM, HAHAHAHA." It's not more fun or funny, and it doesn't grow organically out of regular gameplay.

Saints Row 3 had weird. It was intensely weird - missions to spray raw sewage to destroy property, running around in a bowler hat and tutu and with a tommy gun, flinging yourself off an overpass on a motorcycle to land on an old lady... But it was also within the bounds of the game, and there wasn't anything that stood out TOO MUCH as super weird. Saints Row 4, however, went, "Hey, people really like the silly elements, let's give them nothing but silly!" and then suddenly there was a dildo bat and bobblehead mode and... okay, it was still fun, but it felt like the devs were over your shoulder going "ARE YOU HAVING FUN YET, THIS IS SUPER FUN RIGHT?" and... it was fun, but it had completely lost the charm of the weird and silly because it was trying WAY TOO HARD. I played it for only a couple days before I gave up and went back to SR3, because it was just so WEEHOOWEEEWACKYTIEM!!!! about everything.

Put away the damned mexican wrestler masks. Let sims pee themselves on dates and fall asleep on the dance floor, and let us enjoy it. Stop trying so hard. Stop trying to make fetch happen.

Instructor
#3137 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:23 AM
Also... I wanted to take a moment to address "weirder stories." Because it seems to be a MAJOR selling point of TS4 and I think it's a huge, wild mistake.

I agree. The entire game is a huge, wild mistake.
Put away the damned mexican wrestler masks. Let sims pee themselves on dates and fall asleep on the dance floor, and let us enjoy it. Stop trying so hard. Stop trying to make fetch happen.

Halle-cocking-lleujah! More HystericalParoxysm and less E.A.!
Retired
retired moderator
#3138 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:24 AM
I love the sound of the consequences for not paying bills. And sympathise over shitty broken keyboards. Thanks Graham, your posts often give me a little hope in the future of the game. Either way, I know you guys will do your best to get/keep it on track, it's just not my thing as it is. I do know in the end the game will find an audience, and may become something quite great. I just still think that we, as consumers, need to push back against what's been going on. I'm sorry for the headache it must be for you guys.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
#3139 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:25 AM
Yeah, that's why I said "roughly speaking". There's a PhD dissertation dedicated to this whole way The Sims series builds multiple levels of diegesis or narratological layers and how these levels interact with each other and under what conditions and to what effect this structure can be dissolved, reverted or changed within the course of a game. In broad terms, the Sim being aware of the plumbotb is actually not the same as them being aware of you as their player. The player and the plumbotb are on different levels.

---
Edit: plumbob, plumbob, plumbob. Ok, I hope I got it now.
Instructor
#3140 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
Here's one of the less serious examples... the plumbob isn't supposed to exist in the Sim's world. A Sim should have no knowledge of it. That rule has been broken many times in the name of self-referential humor, but it's definitely a rule that still comes up in discussions.

Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
You mean there wasn't supposed to be a plumbob?
Then again, while I knew WE can see their plumbob, I didn't know the sims were aware of the plumbob over their heads until now, either.

I'm thinking that what he meant is that the plumbob is present in sculptures etc through out the worlds/neighborhoods and that's how the sims are aware of it? or something...
#3141 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
Yeah, that's why I said "roughly speaking". There's a PhD dissertation dedicated to this whole way The Sims series builds multiple levels of diegesis or narratological layers and how these levels interact with each other and under what conditions and to what effect this structure can be dissolved, reverted or changed within the course of a game. In broad terms, the Sim being aware of the plumbot is actually not the same as them being aware of you as their player. The player and the plumbot are on different levels.

Don't you mean plumbob? The green diamond?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#3142 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:27 AM
In TS2 sims were aware of you. I found it creepy. Sometimes they'd be chatting away and the second you'd point the camera at them they'd stop and turn their heads to you... And if you rotate the camera down to get a birds eye view, their heads would snap up too, so your looking down at them and they're like "wazzzzuuup"

it was terrifying and I had no idea this was supposed to happen, thought it was a glitch or that my sims are evil and will come and get me.
Field Researcher
#3143 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:28 AM
Saints Row 3 had weird. It was intensely weird - missions to spray raw sewage to destroy property, running around in a bowler hat and tutu and with a tommy gun, flinging yourself off an overpass on a motorcycle to land on an old lady... But it was also within the bounds of the game, and there wasn't anything that stood out TOO MUCH as super weird. Saints Row 4, however, went, "Hey, people really like the silly elements, let's give them nothing but silly!" and then suddenly there was a dildo bat and bobblehead mode and... okay, it was still fun, but it felt like the devs were over your shoulder going "ARE YOU HAVING FUN YET, THIS IS SUPER FUN RIGHT?" and... it was fun, but it had completely lost the charm of the weird and silly because it was trying WAY TOO HARD.

I was just talking to my boyfriend yesterday about how this kind of thing happens in almost every franchise, be it books or TV or films or games. As soon as the people in charge realize what audiences love - usually something that they didn't realize was going to be as popular as it was - they go overboard with it. And then it ceases to be what it was. Jack Sparrow in the Pirates movies, Claptrap in the Borderlands games, Jack and Karen from Will & Grace, etc.

I know some people probably love all of those things, but they're all examples to me of taking something funny and subtracting all the subtlety because nothing is funnier than something funny IN YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME, right?
Alchemist
#3144 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plumbobot
In TS2 sims were aware of you. I found it creepy. Sometimes they'd be chatting away and the second you'd point the camera at them they'd stop and turn their heads to you... And if you rotate the camera down to get a birds eye view, their heads would snap up too, so your looking down at them and they're like "wazzzzuuup"

it was terrifying and I had no idea this was supposed to happen, thought it was a glitch or that my sims are evil and will come and get me.

I thought it was a cute detail :lovestruc
#3145 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plumbobot

The creepiest was when the stuck nannies would do it. They'd be standing there in several days worth of pee puddle, in a cloud of green vapor, and whichever way you'd turn the camera they'd turn to squint right into it with a mean look that said "if I die here, I am going to haunt you".

#3146 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Don't you mean plumbob? The green diamond?
Yes, of course. Plumbot, Simstember - what else to confuse my aging brain?
Mad Poster
#3147 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:33 AM
Hopefully, the ability to mod those masks out the game is easy as an XML is in Sims 3. I really hate those masks.

Thank you Graham for your input. It was nice to learn some of the gameplay possibilities. I am apprehensive because of the microtransactions but that is another story.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#3148 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:35 AM
It was a nice detail but sometimes I wasn't sure whether it was me watching them or them watching me...
Instructor
#3149 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:36 AM
Weirdness is sims pissing themselves or dying of hunger in front of the fridge. Not this Mexicanwrestler grannyhipster laughterdeath bullshit.
Quote: Originally posted by tedw
I was just talking to my boyfriend yesterday about how this kind of thing happens in almost every franchise, be it books or TV or films or games. As soon as the people in charge realize what audiences love - usually something that they didn't realize was going to be as popular as it was - they go overboard with it. And then it ceases to be what it was. Jack Sparrow in the Pirates movies, Claptrap in the Borderlands games, Jack and Karen from Will & Grace, etc. I know some people probably love all of those things, but they're all examples to me of taking something funny and subtracting all the subtlety because nothing is funnier than something funny IN YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME, right?

Ah, yes. The scourge of Flanderization.
Mad Poster
#3150 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:39 AM
Good morning! Anyone know if we have ghosts or aliens yet?
Locked thread
Page 126 of 920