Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:32 PM
Default Question about re-coloring objects
I have been tinkering with the SimPE object recolor wizard, and I was wondering if there is a way that you can view your objects without opening the Sims2?

Remember... He who laughs last, didn't get the joke..
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:33 PM
no, I dont think there is...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:36 PM
That sucks, because the game takes forever and eternity to open. That's a long time to wait just to veiw an object.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:37 PM
yeah I know, when I make my pictures, I have to open the game check them all, thenif one, just one stupid picture is back to front, I have to exit the game redo the picture then load the flipping thing back up again, so d@mn annoying
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th May 2005 at 11:04 PM
I don't know if there is any other way than loading the game to see the result of your work. I only can say, recoloring objects takes a lot of time. But it still is fun to me and when I see how many people are downloading and how many are giving a quick but nice comment it was worth the work. I have downloaded so much around here and sharing my recolors is also a way for me to give a little bit back.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th May 2005 at 3:34 AM
I have another problem now too. I re-colored a few things using the wizard, but when I clicked "import" the file didn't show up in the wizard, it was just blank, so I opened the game to see if it worked and the game crashed. Anyone know what the problem could be?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 12th May 2005 at 5:10 AM
hey, i have that exact same problem. i posted this a few days ago and someone said to go to the SimPE forum. i haven't yet, but you could always try...

hope this helps

funami1300
Test Subject
#8 Old 13th May 2005 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kmercer1
I have another problem now too. I re-colored a few things using the wizard, but when I clicked "import" the file didn't show up in the wizard, it was just blank, so I opened the game to see if it worked and the game crashed. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Hiya, new round here, and saw this post and thought I would reply.

I downloaded SimPE today, and had this exact problem. I imported the recoloured object into the sims after the some of the images being blank, and thus the game crashed upon me trying to access the new recoloured object.
I went into my download folder and deleted the file that I had just imported.

This is what I downloaded and am currently using.. SimPE Version 0.35b CEP (Colour Options Enabler)
DDS_Utilities_7.33.0325.1320

I opened up SimPE and went to options to let the program know where the DDS Utilities where installed (downloaded from Nvidia). I then ran SimPE and found the object that I had previously chosen to recolour.
So as I had already recoloured and saved all the said files I tried to import them again, they went straight in and all images showed up as I imported them.
I then saved the recoloured object as before, closed down SimPE and ran the Sims University and there was my nice new recoloured object.

Dont exactly know what the problem was but I notised in the options that the DDS utility had not been found, so as I said above I browsed to where the DDS utility was installed. Tried again and it worked.

Hope this helps
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th May 2005 at 9:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. I installed the DDS utility as well, and that seems to have solved my problem. It still sucks that you have to load the game to preview your objects though. You should be able to view them with some kinda of SimPE tool. Atleast I'm getting a new graphics card next week, so hopefully my game wont take forever and a day to load. Yippee.
Instructor
#10 Old 14th May 2005 at 2:44 PM
Hi I posted a tutorial on how to view your recoloured items outside of the game. Click here.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 16th May 2005 at 9:59 AM
If you use SimPe's object workshop to reoclor objects you can preview the recolor. In which case you just select the material override and click on the preview tab at the bottom right.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:12 AM Last edited by mickyss : 16th May 2005 at 10:23 AM.
Ok here's is what i do.

Pull the obj from the item your colouring and load that up in milkshape 3D, Yes clone the Item in the work shop to pull the obj.

1. Use Milkshape to open the obj.

2. Groups select the items,

3. Materials - New select a uv map or the extracted textures.

4. Assign them.

5. Keep playing with the texture and reopen the textur under Materials.

MilkeShap 3D is the Key to it Good Luck

Oh the load time is due to large poly Item's or just lots of stuff downloaded and added this is a cache and memory issue.

Thou that said the game will be smoother once loaded.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand? What do you mean by "workshop"? I've been using the Wizards of SimPE thing, if that's what you mean? I'm wanting to be able to view the whole re-colored object, not just the texture.

Blah, this is all too confusing.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:27 AM
SimPE, Plugins, objetct workshop clone item start change modle name update.

Then geometric Date container rip out the obj.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:33 AM
You guys are speaking a foreign language to me. I need something like "SimPE for dummies" :weep:

Field Researcher
#16 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:41 AM
here are some pic hope they help,

1st snap009 to snap009

Just use SimPE not the wizard
Attached files:
File Type: rar  HYS Snaps.rar (110.6 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#17 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:45 AM
SimPE for dummies Ill have a look at making a PDF soon
Field Researcher
#18 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:52 AM Last edited by mickyss : 16th May 2005 at 10:56 AM.
MilkShap 3D
With imported obj and exported teture from SimPE
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th May 2005 at 10:56 AM
Interesting.. thanks for the snaps... I think I may have a little better understanding of a couple things. Joy. Perhaps I should have stuck to skinning.. I seem to be better at that. o.O Ah well. Never hurts to try.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 16th May 2005 at 11:02 AM
it took me 4 days of stuffin around to get it right, All the way to making new Objects.

Don't give up
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 16th May 2005 at 11:50 AM
Just so you all know, any 3D program that is capable of loading an obj file can be used to preview your recolors. I use Bryce myself. Making new meshes is just too much for my brain to handle right now, but recolors I can do, lol.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 16th May 2005 at 12:01 PM
I'm not particularly understanding the whole setup of some of the textures. It's not blatantly obvious what part is what, like a dresser for example.

I don't understand how you get this..

from this... ?

Like I said. I think I'll stick with skinning. I deffinatly have to give credit to a lot of people. It's truely amazing to me the things some people can do.

Instructor
#23 Old 16th May 2005 at 2:06 PM
Do a forum search on templates. Various people have uploaded textures that make it obvious what part of the texture maps to what part of the object. Unfortunately not all objects have templates made though.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 16th May 2005 at 11:01 PM
if you are using the object workshop you do not need to clone and export to view a recolor. that's way too much work.
personally i will not use the wizard as it's not as stable. quite often recolors will crash your game, as already discussed above.Object workshop on the other hand, always works, and has never crashed my game.
the workshop is part of SimPE, just click on plugins and then object workshop.
if you go to the material override, highlight it, click on plugin view and then at the bottom right click preview- see image1. a small blue window will pop up that generates an actual 3d view of the recolored objects- see image 2.
(Note my images are samples only, i didn't actually do a reoclor, but you get the idea, lol)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th May 2005 at 2:45 AM
OK, this is what I get when I do that, simaddict99.
Screenshots

Page 1 of 2