Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 7:49 PM
Hivemind?
So I read about this in another Sims forum, and it sounds, erm, interesting?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/16/w...gaming-venture/

Sounds interesting, and creepy. It says he wants to "learn about the player" so the game can "create games about our real lives." I'm not sure if it's like, a Sims spin-off, like the Sims but with more realism, or if he's trying to create his own Internet.

All I know is Will Wright may very well be going bonkers.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 7:06 PM Last edited by BlakeS5678 : 27th Nov 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Um, I read the article but, they never really made it clear what the game was going to be about or even a basic frame about what it's going to be like. They only showed us a very confusing picture.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 8:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HiveMind

It's gonna be a social game.
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 11:41 PM
Sounds intrusive to me, don't like the idea of 'collecting data on you' bit.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 3:13 AM
Hmmm - non of those are very clear about what would actually happen with the game though I think Dee is right about not liking the idea of collecting data. OTOH, WW is a very imaginative man: he has past form for interesting ideas.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Banned
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Dec 2011 at 6:35 PM
http://chevyvolt.cm.fmpub.net/#http...right-hivemind/

This article has a LOT of information about HiveMind, but it's still rather confusing.
Scholar
#7 Old 25th Dec 2011 at 9:52 PM
Maybe this is just me being influenced by too much Sci-Fi, but I have a feeling this is Will Wright's attempt at world domination.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 3:55 AM
Hmm... Well, I suppose if anyone was going to conquer the world it might as well be Will Wright. Who knows, maybe we'll all get our very own PlumbBob.

I'm still not understanding it -- are you supposed to like, tell the game your name, age, height, weight, appearance, friends, family, favourite food, gender, job, school, and other PERSONAL information...?
Alchemist
#9 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 10:38 AM
I don't want a game about myself. I play games to escape reality, not to get into another one, as perfect as it may be. If he hasn't got a better idea, he should just retire for good. This really doesn't sound like a good idea to me, especially since it sounds so personal.

ETA: And, what the hell, HARVESTING DATA? Just how much world-domination-ish does that sound? No, but seriously, I'm not going to gladly give away my location, my friends' locations, my financial situation, my name, what else is he going to want? My credit card PIN? A copy of my ID card?

ETA 2: My dreams? He wants to look into my dreams? Wow... This is getting personal. Where does this guy live?

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 10:42 AM
It's to collect your information. Like..... YOUR SOUL!

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Scholar
#11 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 11:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KKiryu007Joker
It's to collect your information. Like..... YOUR SOUL!

HiveMind = Will's Grim Reaper.

Hey there! :)
Banned
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 1:41 PM
He says young people are much more willing to share information.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 10:33 PM Last edited by frankie : 3rd Jan 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Textual.
Wow, I am surprised by the many comments (even at other sites) that are against this, especially since many fans miss Will Wright and want him back for life simulation games. I understand about the personal aspect, but anyone can just create a fake Facebook account to avoid using real information (then again, you could probably choose what to share). If anything, this seems like a very ground-breaking game. Will Wright broke ground with Sim City, The Sims, and he will with this one for sure (did he break ground with Spore?). I didn't even know about this game until I visited SimPrograms and saw a posting of it, along with the new trailer. Did you guys see the video? I am not sure if it is new, but it looks very neat!

http://www.nma.tv/sims-creator-wrig...game-real-life/

Again, just create a fake account if you are a bit paranoid but too curious about the game. That's what I'd do. In The Sims Online, there were plenty of people who didn't use their real information. What is the difference here, really? If anything, this game will probably be much more realistic. I must be one of the very few people who are interested in this concept. In fact, I have long waited for an online game this realistic. It looks so complex and well-thought! Kudos to Will Wright! I can't wait for more information, screen shots, and videos.

Oh, and I'm all for any type of competition for The Sims. Maybe this will shape EA up, since I have been very disappointed in them.
Banned
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 11:15 PM
Oh... So it's basically like an MMO game?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 11:29 PM Last edited by frankie : 3rd Jan 2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Textual.
Yes, but I think it only collects data that you choose to share in order to create a unique gaming experience catered to your interests and what have you. Plus, I believe you get to choose if you want it to connect to Facebook. Regardless, I will still use a fake account just for the game. Or... I might just change my info. It really all depends on how this is setup. It really does sound kind of fun, though. But we shall see in the future!

EDIT: Besides, it looks like the collected data is very basic, according to the video. I only saw the first name, the person's likes, and the chance your avatar will have for any romantic pursuits.
Banned
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 12:06 AM
Hmm... I prefer being in control of EVERYTHING. This sounds like you talk to other people...
Mad Poster
#17 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 1:01 AM Last edited by frankie : 4th Jan 2012 at 1:33 AM. Reason: Textual.
Well, in the Wiki, it mentioned it to be single- and multi-player. So, I wonder about that.

EDIT: New information!

Quote:
The name Will Wright might not ring a bell for many but popular games like The Sims, Sim City and more should all be plenty familiar. Creator Will Wright has recently detailed his newest game, HiveMind and we are now hearing it will also be coming to Android phones and tablets.

With HiveMind the user wont be controlling virtual people and walking around Sims style — instead you’ll be living and playing yourself. He aims to fully bring our real lives into a videogame. The idea sounds a bit scary, but at the same time is quite awesome and I’m looking forward to hearing more details on this unique idea.

Thanks to DroidGamers for the awesome picture this game actually has a lot more to offer than just alternate reality gameplay. HiveMind will be a game of ourselves. Players will be able to interact with our social network site and identities, mobile phones and tablets, twitter, places we visit, other games we play and more will all be integrated into HiveMind.

If this sounds sort of like check-ins you’d be right — but it’s actually highly involved and evolved into a full-fledged game. The idea of virtual reality blending with real life is a scary thought to many I’m sure — not to mention something we’ve seen in plenty of Hollywood movies in the past. The game will customize itself based on the player and obviously things like Facebook integration will be completely opt-in and not required. We are hearing most internet connected devices including smart TV’s will also work for when players watch a big game, or the latest movie.

Privacy will be a huge concern for many so this is getting extra attention and most likely the developers and Will Wright are taking extreme precautionary measures with privacy. We don’t know much about this new game yet, but expect to hear and hopefully see more now that it’s 2012.

Source: http://androidcommunity.com/sim-cit...d-too-20120102/

We'll have to see how the developers ease people's reasonable privacy concerns. But at least you don't have to allow the game to connect to your Facebook or other profiles. I still wonder how this game is going to turn out. The information is still very vague.
Banned
Original Poster
#18 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 11:39 PM
Hmm... Still, I play the Sims to make Sims, and pretend that I AM the Sim. Making a person that is exactly like me, well, why don't I just live, y'know?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 2:46 AM
That's fine. Everyone has different tastes. The Sims will probably not go anywhere anytime soon, so I can sill have both games to play.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 5:57 AM Last edited by KKiryu007Joker : 5th Jan 2012 at 6:11 AM.
Eh..... a game of one's self Sim ONLY would be kinda boring...... but I might still play it out of curiosity..... I couldn't play one character forever......

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KKiryu007Joker
Eh..... a game of one's self Sim ONLY would be kinda boring...... but I might still play it out of curiosity..... I couldn't play one character forever......

Now, this, I have to agree with. That'd be the only downfall for me. I wonder if we can create multiple accounts to be able to have different "Sims." That would be the only other alternative. I'd totally be creative and have fake friends as a fake person, lol.

But like you, I will still try it out because there are no other Sims-like MMO out there that I know of. And I do not count SecondLife. I'm talking with an actual objective on top of a social game.
Banned
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 6:02 PM
But I hope it's also a generation game, like TS2 and TS3. I wanna have babies, damnit!
Mad Poster
#23 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 5M0K3
But I hope it's also a generation game, like TS2 and TS3. I wanna have babies, damnit!

Didn't you see the video that I had linked to? It showed a couple holding a newborn and an elder couple with walking canes. I was excited about that. If your avatar can have children, it'd be a cool game for it being a social one. It would make you feel attached to another play if that player were your spouse, but then things could get ugly if you decided to cheat, lol. I wonder how the drama would unfold. Would a game like this even impact real friendships?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 12:42 AM
There is already a video for HiveMind? I knew that I am, once again, far behind when it comes to this type of information (I only discovered this game -- accidentally -- on January 2nd)! The information, from what you guys and gals had gathered and what I'd read from some articles a few days earlier, on the concept of the game seems intriguing, and yet, disturbing. Despite the thoughts I am currently having of the developers watching your every move (insert "Every Breath You Take" by The Police), I am looking forward to acquiring more information on HiveMind. Heck, I may even buy the game and try it myself (using a "fake" account, of course). But if I read any reports about players having an ice cream truck parked outside their places of residence, "watching" them play the game, then I will not invest my time and money into HiveMind.

Heh, sorry about that, I can be a bit paranoid at times. I will still look forward to getting more information on the game before I can form a true opinion about it. *Stares long and hard at the Will Wright Sim she has been working on since forever.* You know what? Maybe I should scrap you before you get into my hard drive and -- wait a minute -- YOU'RE already on my hard drive! My personal files aren't safe!
Mad Poster
#25 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Didn't you see the video that I had linked to? It showed a couple holding a newborn and an elder couple with walking canes. I was excited about that. If your avatar can have children, it'd be a cool game for it being a social one. It would make you feel attached to another play if that player were your spouse, but then things could get ugly if you decided to cheat, lol. I wonder how the drama would unfold. Would a game like this even impact real friendships?

That would be kinda cute.

Page 1 of 3