Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
#26 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight_frog
I agree that TS2 is better.

I know this is a little off-topic, but do you think I should re-install University? I have everything except for that Expansion in my current game; one thing I just hated was having to play that extra lifespan, but TS3 players seem to be desperate for a college expansion.

University is cool to have in your Sims game, you may or may not know this but having a sims inventory was first introduced with University ep. It wasn't interactive, it only held personal electronics you could not drag it out or in. Nightlife change the inventory and made it so that is was now very actiive.

Some of University ep added features, that was never before in the game until that Ep came out was as follow:

1. Household merging : Before the only way to move a Sims from one household or family was through social interaction. When UV was added the Sims could be tranfer from the family bin and place in a regular hoods or College hoods.
2. Influences was added, Lifetime wants, Computer added a new way for social, new careers and so many other feature was added when UV came along.

If you do not like playing with them while they are in College there are Mods to help with that to speed up their time spend there. So It's just a matter of what you want. Gee since you spend money on UV you may as well use it.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 3:54 AM
Lots of times I have born-in-game Sims who have a lot of skill points, so when they're in college, the minute they have that performance meter filled up, I use a mod (Sim Manipulator) to speed up the clock and send them off to finals. (TwoJeffs' college adjuster works too.)

Or I may go at a more leisurely pace, like if the Sim came out of Create-a-Student. Maybe I want them to "shop around" for their future spouse. I do that at times--I might want them to marry a townie, and the time at college gives them time to build up a relationship.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 8:11 PM
I use this mod by Dave Luv for universities
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 2nd Dec 2011 at 4:56 AM
I remember when I bought the Sims 3 the first day it came out, and then when it took 2 hours to install that annoyed the crap out of me And then once I began playing it and creating my sims, I thought what the heck is? I traded it in the next day at Gamestop for thirty bucks and got a Sims 2 expansion pack.
Theorist
Original Poster
#30 Old 2nd Dec 2011 at 12:56 PM
Just a few comments since I have gone back to Sims 2...

I haven't played a lot yet. I've been downloading like mad since there are so many great new items since I last played.

I stumbled across the Victorian theme on the download site. Being an Anglophile, I love stuff like this so I am considering making a neighborhood of just Victorian sims...just to indulge.

I can say my 'low end' laptop loads up pretty fast and gets me where I need to be with all but one EP. (no stuff packs) and a good chunk of CC. Sims 3 took a longer time and rendered my items 'grey'.

Of course Sims, as a hobby, is so time consuming and I just don't have a lot of free time (I home school my 13 year old). But I find time here and there. I was considering using Sims time for some lessons in technology for him. At least in Sims 2 I can let him build his own people/houses/neighborhood and it doesn't effect mine at all since we can play any family we want without 'weird aging up' of neighbors or other glitches from Sims 3.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 2nd Dec 2011 at 1:21 PM
Welcome to the club! Bought Sims 3 on release day, spent the next month just trying to get it to work on my computer, then was even MORE disappointed when I did and haven't looked back. Sims 2 is just more fun with a LOT more to do.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 10th Dec 2011 at 6:57 PM
I bought The Sims 3 the day it was released in my country and I was really pleased. My friend came over and we played on it for a while... until we got bored and moved to The Sims 2 again. The Sims 3 ran slow, it looked unrealistic (the extremely cartoon-like Sims just added to this) and it was glitchy and buggy. Obviously the features that come with it's Expansion Packs and the base game itself are desirable, but they are not worth it in my opinion. I got my dad to resell it on eBay just before Christmas so I got it for pretty much the same price I paid in the shop (around £30). It's great that you're returning to TS2 because everything about it is just amazing in my opionion! CC, cheats, the general appearance... although I might as well add I'm currently using my newer laptop for it, and the graphics aren't as good - but apart from that, I love it! :D
Mad Poster
#33 Old 12th Dec 2011 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Octavia<3
I have MG installed without AL and ive never had an issue with it

I got MG (in the Fun with Pets combo) before AL...and while "play peek-a-boo" was an option with a toddler, the action kept dropping out of the queue. Then when I got AL, I no longer had that issue...my Sims could play peek-a-boo with a toddler.

Also, I have a child with a developmental delay, and he loves watching me build houses. When I create a room I ask him, okay, what do we want in here? I think it helps him. He loves it whenever Bonkers (a kitten in the adoption pool) joins a household.
Theorist
Original Poster
#34 Old 12th Dec 2011 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
Also, I have a child with a developmental delay, and he loves watching me build houses. When I create a room I ask him, okay, what do we want in here? I think it helps him. He loves it whenever Bonkers (a kitten in the adoption pool) joins a household.

I think Sims can be very helpful for kids with disabilities. Definitely a good tool. My 13 year old (with Asperger Syndrome) is allowed to play his own guy in my neighborhood but now he's more entertained by watching what happens with 'free will.' When these 2 visitors to his lot had a punch up he thought it was great and began snapping photos.

Now he's asking me 'how do they get married?' 'how do they have a baby?' and other more detailed questions. I just tell him keep playing!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Field Researcher
#35 Old 12th Dec 2011 at 7:14 PM
The best thing about the Sims series is there are so many possibilities in how you can play the game.

You can just be creative with homes, community lots, or Sims. You can create stories, and film them or take pictures. You can create a Sim and either plan their life or just see how it goes. There is also the possibility of treating your Sims to a fantastic life or torturing the poor little souls. You can partake in challenges; or if you’re really smart you create mods or custom content.

It can be a way to pass a couple of hours or it can be your own little world.

...if all else fails you can start over by deleting your Sims folder in my documents (2 & 3 only).
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dahll Haus
I totally understand. I gave up on Sims 3 right before Generations came out. Sims 2 has all the expansion packs and all the mods/hacks you could ever want. It's all I play anymore.

Really? I gave up on Sims 3 right before Generations came out too. I was waiting to get Generations but I got SO bored of stupid Sims 3 so that was when I quit. I used to have a blast with that custom content I put on Sims 3 . . . but it got boring. Still, I'm happy I still have Sims 2.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never (falling anvil drops on head)
Field Researcher
#37 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 2:48 AM
There are great aspects of both. I love TS2 for the stability, but I like that in TS3 I don't have to family rotate to keep the ages even. And I wish I could get community time to work on my game! I hate having to play the same day again, but I digress. I'm probably about to head back to TS2 because even with the loading screens, everything loads faster(all eps and stuffs) than TS3 on my lappy.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
You're not obligated to send teens to Uni, and there are hacks to squash Uni-related Wants/Fears, if those bug you.

I wouldn't willingly play without any of the EPs myself, because even if I don't utilize the main features of some of them (like businesses in OFB, or apartments in AL), each one brings something to the table that's well worth having.

Wish I could give examples, but I've been playing the full game for so long, I forget a lot of details about what comes with each EP. I just know they're all important to me for various reasons.

For this, I just use Christianlov's Fake College Diploma for Sims that I want to have a degree but don't want to play through Uni.
Test Subject
#39 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 6:54 AM
Hi, after the announcement of this new crappy EP Showtime, I too am going to start playing Sims 2 again, but I've had some problems and wondering if anyone can help me? I have Windows 7, and the base game and expansion pack (only tried one, apartment life) installed fine, and I am able to get pass the loading screen, but in game, my sims are transparent, you can see-through them. I really don't know what the problem is, could it be because of my graphics card. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670, is this card too advanced for the sims 2 games, or is it something else?
Scholar
#40 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 7:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tita4
Hi, after the announcement of this new crappy EP Showtime, I too am going to start playing Sims 2 again, but I've had some problems and wondering if anyone can help me? I have Windows 7, and the base game and expansion pack (only tried one, apartment life) installed fine, and I am able to get pass the loading screen, but in game, my sims are transparent, you can see-through them. I really don't know what the problem is, could it be because of my graphics card. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670, is this card too advanced for the sims 2 games, or is it something else?

I dont think graphic cards can be "too advanced" for TS2, or any older games lol. You may need to look in the help section, since I've never heard of that problem. Could try updating drivers, patching, etc. TS2 works fine on Windows 7 if you are wondering about that too.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 10:16 AM
The sims 2 seems to be the perfect balance between sims 1 and 3, sims 1 had cr@py graphics and game play in sims 3 is.. well... cr@py too! :D
Test Subject
#42 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 2:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
I dont think graphic cards can be "too advanced" for TS2, or any older games lol. You may need to look in the help section, since I've never heard of that problem. Could try updating drivers, patching, etc. TS2 works fine on Windows 7 if you are wondering about that too.

Alright, thanks! I look there.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
the ability to recolour everything is great but would waste a lot of time if you were to recolour many or every single item or sim content.

agree, but since I hated playing the game itself, I did a LOT of recoloring of almost everything.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
transmogrified
retired moderator
#44 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 10:04 PM
...meanwhile, I am gearing up to play TS3 over the holiday break. I'll probably play my TS2 neighborhood a bit, too, but I wanted to do something different over my longish holiday and since I wouldn't want to commit to a second ongoing neighborhood and no TS2 challenges have really grabbed me like the War challenge did, I've decided to go with TS3. I expect I'll be back here by New Year, moaning about how awful it was and how pudding-faced Sims bullied me and teased my dog.
Scholar
#45 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 10:35 PM
Good luck with that mangaroo I wish I could last playing TS3 for a few weeks, since I get the urge to play/enjoy it every few months. But then I'd end up back on the desktop within 10 minutes. Pets EP was my most anticipated TS3 EP, and it also failed to grab me back into the game
Site Helper
#46 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 4:55 PM
If you want playable instruments, they came in Uni. Otherwise you're stuck with the piano. So did the cowplant and the resurrectonomitron.

There were a lot of little things that Uni added besides the extra life stage, and not all of them were carried over to later packs.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Top Secret Researcher
#47 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
...meanwhile, I am gearing up to play TS3 over the holiday break. I'll probably play my TS2 neighborhood a bit, too, but I wanted to do something different over my longish holiday and since I wouldn't want to commit to a second ongoing neighborhood and no TS2 challenges have really grabbed me like the War challenge did, I've decided to go with TS3. I expect I'll be back here by New Year, moaning about how awful it was and how pudding-faced Sims bullied me and teased my dog.

You'll come back to me... la la la I just know you will.

P.S. I think you'll like the building part of the game though.
Page 2 of 2