Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 12:04 AM
Awesome! And I did not know about SquishDDS, I shall check that one out.

Edit: SquishDDS does not appear to open DDS textures, so you would still need to use Aorta, but it seems to have a more sophisticated way of creating DDS's, allowing you to pick the DTXC compression you want. I may have to add this to my tutorial, as it might help increase the quality of the textures.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 1:55 AM Last edited by robotguy4 : 12th Jan 2010 at 2:10 AM. Reason: error list added
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
robotguy, can I ask you to remove the EA pic from post #16?

How 'bout putting it in a spoiler?

Also:

I got it to start up in Winebottler!

Sort of.

It just shows that start up thing and then it shuts off... Unfortunately, I kind of forgot the details what I did to get to this point...

I remember that I did basically what pbox said to do, and installed .NET and d3dx9 via wine tricks. I also started up winecfg and checked the box next to "emulate a virtual desktop" (under the graphics tab).

Console errors:

By the way, here is yet another Wine related program I found, if anyone wants to look into it.

I like pie...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 2:17 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 12th Jan 2010 at 2:54 AM.
Re. SquishDDS: I've used it successfully to make some TS3 wallpapers – I don't really remember what I did, but I believe I just needed to convert something *to* DDS, not open one. So it's entirely possible that they have different features.

Re. the CAW splash screen: hmmmmm .. this reminds me of something. I believe I have a faint memory of having read about problems in wine with programs that have a splash screen, as opposed to opening a window directly. I'll see if I can dig up a bookmark or two about this. Then again, maybe you've already solved this with your "virtual desktop" setting?

ETA, just quickly checked it, the only difference (when I set it to "virtual desktop") is that I now get the above error message on a pretty blue background. Plus the following Terminal output (same as I had before):

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.762)

which I solved by installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86), still no worky. Same error, no terminal output anymore =/.

(Yeah you can put it in a spoiler if you love it so dearly .. I just don't want this thread to become too unwieldy)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 3:43 AM Last edited by robotguy4 : 12th Jan 2010 at 4:39 AM. Reason: Link fixed!
Re. the CAW splash screen: hmmmmm .. this reminds me of something. I believe I have a faint memory of having read about problems in wine with programs that have a splash screen, as opposed to opening a window directly. I'll see if I can dig up a bookmark or two about this. Then again, maybe you've already solved this with your "virtual desktop" setting?

ETA, just quickly checked it, the only difference (when I set it to "virtual desktop") is that I now get the above error message on a pretty blue background. Plus the following Terminal output (same as I had before):

*shrugs* I have no clue. I'm going to stop fooling around with CAW for a while...

While CAW is a pain, S3OC works like a charm under wine. Heck, you don't even need to copy TS3 folder! You just need to know where to look when you set up the game folder (Z:\Applications\The Sims 3.localized\The Sims3.app\Contents\Resources\transgaming\c_drive\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3)

I might get to the other tools in a bit... In the mean time, try S3OC out. Please note that there are probably bugs or something, however, initial testing shows it works.
(X11 required)

I like pie...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 5:43 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 12th Jan 2010 at 6:50 PM.
What's that s3oc_test link in your post? Please don't link to any software without stating what it is .. thanks =).

I also can't access the rapidshare or whatever it was thing right now, I'm told the servers are too busy. For small uploads – in the name of science – you can use http://modyourpanties.com if you want (this is run by Delphy, uploads will only work on mts).

I just now saw your edits in post #20 on winecfg – in a non-bottled wine, you access it by typing winecfg into Terminal, which opens the preference panel in x11.

Also, I guess I am lagging behind in x11 versions .. because I'm still on 10.5.7. There was something about the next version that required 10.5.8. I just never get around to run the upgrade.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding DLL overrides, however I believe I already solved my dll issues (or at least, it all behaves like I solved them). But I found a useful link about the whole registry business while RTFMing:

http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/using-regedit

Re. S3PE and S3OC in wine:

I just installed s3pe_0912-13-1729 in wine (the installation went without a hitch) and attempted to run it, which gave me this:

I'm getting no splash screen or anything.

I also tried to run s3oc, same story – installation works fine, but when I try to run it I get

This is in wine-1.1.24 with XQuartz 2.1.6 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple33) on OS X 1.5.7.

I just posted in the s3pe/s3oc forum, maybe Peter or Inge would have an idea what those errors are talking about.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
#31 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:52 PM Last edited by robotguy4 : 13th Jan 2010 at 6:25 AM.
What's that s3oc_test link in your post? Please don't link to any software without stating what it is .. thanks =).

I thought I did... Hmmmm... I am sometimes don't make senses, maybe... =P

You know how TS3 installs with Cider, without you having to go through it and modify the DLLs (non-modded TS3, that is), the winecfg, and winetricks?

Yeah, that's what that file is... But for S3OC. It includes a pre-configured version of wine (which, so far, works on my computer). Basically you unzip it and run it. After a few seconds of configuring itself (which, it seems to do every time you start it up), it then starts up. X11 required.

I also can't access the rapidshare or whatever it was thing right now, I'm told the servers are too busy. For small uploads – in the name of science – you can use http://modyourpanties.com if you want (this is run by Delphy, uploads will only work on mts).

Oh... That's useful. Ok. Will do. Its not exactly a "small" download, as it includes Wine, however, I'll see what I can do. I might try a different file site.

UPDATE:
Another user reports they can run S3OC just fine

If "run S3OC fine" means "it starts up," then yes, its fine...

If you mean, "it works without problems," then no...

Further testing (thanks Flabaliki!) has shown that clones created via S3OC in Wine are not perfect...

A bit of documentation:
Quote: Originally posted by Flabaliki
the object was invisible

not -all- the time though

also, when i cloned it, it cloned as a .world

There may be more to this, however:
i didnt have any patches installed

so i dont know

Frankly, I don't know either...

Probably Wine's fault...

I like pie...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 10:54 PM
Default Workaround for mono issue
For people who get errors in mono that go

Quote:
Unhandled Exception: System.NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.AudibleAlert ()

Delphy just pointed me at a possible workaround – get a newer copy of the System.Windows.Forms.dll where the original issue is fixed and use that. See this post at the mono forums for pointers.

Re. s3pe/s3oc, have you tried running it in a current mono? That sort-of-works, albeit it is extremely slow and crashy. Might be sufficient for simple tasks though.

Lab Assistant
#33 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 6:43 AM Last edited by robotguy4 : 30th Jan 2010 at 6:06 AM.
Re. s3pe/s3oc, have you tried running it in a current mono? That sort-of-works, albeit it is extremely slow and crashy. Might be sufficient for simple tasks though.

I tried that, eventually. It started up fine for me, however, it was buggy and, from what I tried, impossible to set it to recognize the Sims 3 folder without copying the file somewhere else (it wouldn't recognize my Machintosh HD Apps folder for some reason. Anyone know why?)... I might try the thing that you linked to later...

I also tried running TSR's TSRW (RC2) in Wine. It starts up, but the render doesn't work and it crashes whenever I tried to do something in it...

update:
I was able to get Delphy's Dashboard to work via Winebottler. It seems to work fine. My game seems to run faster after using it. I had to install .Net 2.0 and fontfix via Winetricks to get it to work.

I like pie...
Instructor
#34 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 7:13 AM
Ok i am a total newbie at this. But for the life of me i can not figure out how to use exe's with mono. most notably i need S3PE to work so i can merge packages.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 10:04 AM
S3PE is extremely slow and crashy under wine/mono (and pjones wasn't the least bit surprised – he actually predicted that –, so I don't think it's an issue with my setup). Can what you need to do be done in Postal as well, perhaps? If so, then I'd recommend using Postal.

If not, please let us know what exactly you're having problems with. Is mono installed already?

Test Subject
#36 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 2:53 PM
I tried running several of Delphy's programs under a stripped version of Windows XP in VMware with no luck. No clue why and probably not programming savvy enough to be able to find out. Most likely my version of XP is too stripped.

I have been able to get Delphy's Sims3pack Extractor to run successfully under Wine on my iMac. EDIT: I used WineBottler to package it as an app, very handy that is.

Just tried to run the Dashboard with no success, it opened but immediately went error face.

"I protest! I am not a merry man!"
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 2:58 PM
I seem to recall that most of Delphy's stuff requires .NET to be installed, do you have that? And you might want to post the errors you're getting, perhaps they provide a clue.

Test Subject
#38 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 3:18 PM Last edited by Kitanne : 17th Feb 2010 at 4:50 AM. Reason: Post Update
When I was running VMWare? Yes, I did. Programs would run for literally a split second and then die.

I got Dashboard running beautifully although only through opening it with Wine without bottling it. I'll try again after work to see if I can figure that out.

Edit: So, I've had no luck getting Dashboard to run after closing it the first time. Still futzing around with it and will post if I find a work around. After playing around in Wine some more and getting a better sense of how it works and how to switch between prefixes, I'm now able to run the following programs in Wine:

The Sims 3 Dashboard CTU (the OSX version only)
Sims3Pack Multi Extractor

The only thing I notice is that sometimes the Dashboard can run a little slow, specifically right after scanning a folder. The amount of files its scanning doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference. Whether two files or 2000, it takes up to a minute for the list to pop up. I don't know how this compares to running it on Windows. EDIT: This seems to have disappeared when I downloaded the newest release today. Yay!

BTW, I'm running Leopard (10.5.8) on an iMac9,1.

"I protest! I am not a merry man!"
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 12:01 AM
A couple things from a non-techy simmer:

1. 3viewer is the only program I could get to work for me. My launcher was broken, and I tried every mac program (except bootcamp etc) to install sims3packs.
2. I have no idea how the conversation about create a world via wine has changed since the other postings on here, but I'm hoping to install bootcamp and use CAW. Very newbie question- will I have to buy the sims 3 for windows to do this? Is there any other way?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 12:13 AM
emmejuice: the game disc is the same for OS X and Windows, so you won't have to rebuy that.

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 2:27 AM
emmejuice: the game disc is the same for OS X and Windows, so you won't have to rebuy that.

OH DUH. Thank you...

:)
Test Subject
#42 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 9:45 PM
I'm running Delphy's CTU with Mono and I finally got it to run and everything, now the one problem I'm having is that I can only press the "Add New Design" button once each time I run the program. The first few times I ran CTU it worked fine except a couple bugs, but this keeps happening now. I've deleted and re-extracted all the files and restarted my computer and the program repeatedly, and I'm totally out of ideas. Is there anything in the code I can maybe change, or something else I can do?
Test Subject
#43 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 3:51 PM
Howdy.
I'm going through all of these tools and trying to find the easiest and best way to run them. (Particularly S3PE etc).
You guys were running S3PE in wine under winetricks mono? I was just running it in straight OS/X mono through xquartz terminal. Extremely crashy, but if you go niiiiice and sloooooow and have vodka handy, it will work. Just got to give it time for the screen to refresh properly.

I'm ATTEMPTING to make a cocoa app that will do the same thing, but i'm only a newbie with Xcode, so it's taking some time. The crashiness doesn't bother me as much as the lack of apple key or command key function.

Delphy's multi pack extractor seems to run better straight under mono as well (without wine).

Also, it works best if you get the latest version of xquartz (2.5.0). AND you have to reinstall it whenever you get an apple update, because apple updates revert you back to apple x11!!!
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 31st May 2010 at 11:53 PM Last edited by LoofahFlufferduff : 1st Jun 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Latest Version of Mono with Xquartz runs most TS3 .NET based programs well. No need for wine.

Oh, and GIMP for MAC includes most of the available plugins and can edit and compress DDS files.

Mac-tastic Sims 3 - Tips and tutorials for making the most out of your Sims 3 experience on Mac :D
http://www.mactasticsims3.com
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 11:18 AM Last edited by LoofahFlufferduff : 15th Jun 2010 at 9:34 PM.
Default How to run S3PE with Mono
http://www.mactasticsims3.com/s3pe.html

Ok, to run the Sims 3 Package Editor, the first thing you will need is a copy of ‘Mono’. Mono is a framework developed to run Windows .NET applications on Mac. You can get the latest copy of Mono at http://www.mono-project.com/. Just download and install it like any other Mac app.

Then, download Sims 3 Package Editor from the link provided in the previous post. (Note again: you need the ‘manual install’ .7z file, not the easy install .exe file. If you need a 7z opener, get one from http://7zx.en.softonic.com/mac (that’s just a drag and drop 7z compressor and extractor. Very handy, gives GREAT compression).

It’s probably easier to make a file on your Desktop called something like ‘s3pe’, and move the 7z file into there before you extract it, otherwise it will make a mess of your downloads folder! To make life easier, I also created a folder on my Desktop called ‘Sims3Tools’ and moved the ‘s3pe’ folder in there, along with the folders of the other Sims 3 tools I have.

Now, we get to the tricky part. Open up your Terminal (In your Applications/Utilities) folder. Then you need to navigate to the ‘s3pe’ folder you just made. If you stuck where I told you, this is how you would navigate there:

cd Desktop/Sims3Tools/s3pe

then type in

mono s3pe.exe

and that should run the program. It can be a bit crashy, so you want to be nice and gentle with it. Let it finish what it is doing before you ask it to do something else.

Any problems, please PM me on this site, or through www.mactasticsims3.com

Mac-tastic Sims 3 - Tips and tutorials for making the most out of your Sims 3 experience on Mac :D
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#46 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 3:00 PM
"File does not contain a valid CIL image."

This seems to be caused by not using the manual install version, but your archive utility may also be an issue. The Unarchiver barfs trying to uncompress the manual version, with errors on each .exe in the 7z archive. It will give the error "Could not extract the file "xxxx.exe": Unknown data format" for each exe in the archive which then causes mono to not be able to read them. I assume they were corrupted. You need an archive utility that will simply ignore file types and unarchive, the one posted above works I have no idea about any others.

A note on 7zx (linked above), I also had that same error if I simply extracted them to my downloads folder and then tried moving them to a folder named s3pe. I know I got all files since my downloads folder was empty except for the dmg for 7zx. So be sure to create the folder for S3PE and move the 7z file into the folder before extracting just in case it wasn't an odd glitch.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#47 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 4:08 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 3rd Jun 2010 at 1:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by LoofahFlufferduff
Now, we get to the tricky part. Open up your Terminal (In your Applications/Utilities) folder. Then you need to navigate to the ‘s3pe’ folder you just made. If you stuck where I told you, this is how you would navigate there:

cd Desktop/Sims3Tools/s3pe

then type in

mono s3pe.exe

Easier way: type mono, then drag and drop the exe onto the Terminal window and hit enter.

Lab Assistant
#48 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 8:35 PM Last edited by LoofahFlufferduff : 15th Jun 2010 at 9:32 PM.
"File does not contain a valid CIL image."

Actually, that is because the 'easy install' version is not a .NET executable - that is, it is not in the 'Common Intermediate Language' (previously known as MSIL). Mono can't open that one.

WINE can. You can use WINE to open it up, and then Mono to run it.

Of course, it is easier just to download all of the 'manual install files' - which is what the 'easy install' exe contains and what WINE would unpack.

OH and PB - yes, that is an easier idea, but on my blog I also have a tutorial for making an automator app that you can use like an 'app icon ' on your desktop, or in your applications folder or wherever... for S3PE or other mono programs. And you need that navigation code for that.
http://www.mactasticsims3.com/mono_runner.html

Lab Assistant
#49 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 8:53 AM Last edited by robotguy4 : 27th Jul 2010 at 9:42 AM.
Another program to mention:
Graphic Converter

Its native (e.g. no mucking around required) and can do .dds, apparently. This is convenient as some Macs have it installed as a default.

Also, Skininator seems to start up in WINE. I'm not sure what tricks were used, as I'm dusting things off here... It doesn't seem to be able to save, though...

P.S. BUMP

I like pie...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 10:36 AM
Graphic Converter comes preinstalled? That's new to me .. under what circumstances (I never even bought a mac with anything pre-installed .. it was always just the hardware and the system discs)? Apple don't mention anything about it: http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...cconverter.html

Who or what is Skininator, can you provide a link/description?

Page 2 of 6