Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 11:33 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default At a standstill with CasTextureUnitool!
Awhile back I tried installing CasTexture Unitool on my Mac with no luck and a lot of frustration. I realized that I may have somehow forgotten to also download Mono.

So, this time around I did everything. I downloaded the CasTextureUnitoolNo3d.rar file and the CasParts.rar file and followed the install directions to a tee. I successfully installed Mono.
So, now I'm to the step of actually opening the .exe file for CasT Uni. Which I can't do. Now, I thought the whole point of downloading Mono was so that I could.

So far, I've followed some instructions in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=366580

"Depending on your exact setup, you may have to explicitly tell mono to use X11 for drawing operations (this is not enabled by default), like so:

- open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
- type export MONO_MWF_MAC_FORCE_X11=1 and hit enter
- type mono /path/to/your/exe (or the easy way: type mono and a space, then drop the exe onto the terminal window) and hit enter

To reset it, type unset MONO_MWF_MAC_FORCE_X11 and hit enter (then it'll use the default driver again)."

That came up with a bunch of errors in Terminal and did nothing else. So, now I am completely stuck and don't know what to do. I've done several searches for help and have found nothing.

If it helps, the error in Terminal was this:

Gtk not found (missing LD_LIBRARY_PATH to libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0?), using built-in colorscheme

Unhandled Exception: System.EntryPointNotFoundException: GdipCreateFromXDrawable_linux
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:GdipCreateFromXDrawable_linux (intptr,intptr,intptr&)
at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromXDrawable (IntPtr drawable, IntPtr display) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromHwnd (IntPtr hwnd) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetAutoScaleSize (System.Drawing.Font font) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.GetAutoScaleSize (System.Drawing.Font font) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.GetAutoScaleSize (System.Drawing.Font font) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PatternBrowser.PatternBrowser..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) PatternBrowser.PatternBrowser:.ctor ()
at CASPartEditor.Form1..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) CASPartEditor.Form1:.ctor ()
at CASPartEditor.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.EntryPointNotFoundException: GdipCreateFromXDrawable_linux
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:GdipCreateFromXDrawable_linux (intptr,intptr,intptr&)
at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromXDrawable (IntPtr drawable, IntPtr display) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromHwnd (IntPtr hwnd) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetAutoScaleSize (System.Drawing.Font font) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.GetAutoScaleSize (System.Drawing.Font font) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.GetAutoScaleSize (System.Drawing.Font font) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PatternBrowser.PatternBrowser..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) PatternBrowser.PatternBrowser:.ctor ()
at CASPartEditor.Form1..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) CASPartEditor.Form1:.ctor ()
at CASPartEditor.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 3:44 PM
What version of Mono?
What version of OSX?

Quote:
type export MONO_MWF_MAC_FORCE_X11=1 and hit enter

For the current version of Mono (2.10.8_3), I didn't have to do this bit. But I tried with Dashboard/Custard/s3pe/s3oc, not CTU...When next I fire up OS X (which should I load - SL or Lion?) I'll try to remember to test for this.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 9:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
What version of Mono?
What version of OSX?

For the current version of Mono (2.10.8_3), I didn't have to do this bit. But I tried with Dashboard/Custard/s3pe/s3oc, not CTU...When next I fire up OS X (which should I load - SL or Lion?) I'll try to remember to test for this.

I'm using Snow Leopard I believe and version 2.10.8 of Mono.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 5:25 AM
Yeah, skip the export line. This is confirmed. I'll go and edit the sticky in a minute...

Another step you need to do outside of CTU is to set the path.
  1. Open the pathOverrides.xml file as indicated, in TextEdit
  2. navigate to the Sims 3 program path as shown
  3. right-click on any folder under that, and select Get Info
  4. copy+paste the path into the .xml file between the double quotes " "
  5. save the file
  6. in Terminal window, type "mono <spacebar>"
  7. drag and drop the correct .exe as indicated, from a Finder window into the Terminal window
  8. wait a while - it takes a bit of time the 1st time; until you get the agreement form and a textbox to enter your creator name
  9. should be good to go after that
  10. you can also verify the path you set manually above is recognized by the application by going to Options in the File menu. If you copy+paste correctly (with no extra characters or strings, the exact value you pasted should be listed there on the top part of the dialoq window.

For those on Lion, I have attached another image to show it works the same way.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 11:58 AM Last edited by eringobragh22 : 5th Mar 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Additional info
Yeah, skip the export line. This is confirmed. I'll go and edit the sticky in a minute...

Another step you need to do outside of CTU is to set the path.
  1. Open the pathOverrides.xml file as indicated, in TextEdit
  2. navigate to the Sims 3 program path as shown
  3. right-click on any folder under that, and select Get Info
  4. copy+paste the path into the .xml file between the double quotes " "
  5. save the file
  6. in Terminal window, type "mono <spacebar>"
  7. drag and drop the correct .exe as indicated, from a Finder window into the Terminal window
  8. wait a while - it takes a bit of time the 1st time; until you get the agreement form and a textbox to enter your creator name
  9. should be good to go after that
  10. you can also verify the path you set manually above is recognized by the application by going to Options in the File menu. If you copy+paste correctly (with no extra characters or strings, the exact value you pasted should be listed there on the top part of the dialoq window.

For those on Lion, I have attached another image to show it works the same way.

Oh my god! Thank you so much! That is the first amount of progress I have made in months. I was beginning to give up completely. =D

So, is there any kind of shortcut to opening Unitool in the future or do I have to go through those steps each time? Also, after I've chosen a creator name and it opens, does that mean it's properly installed and everything? Is there a particular place I should keep the folders that came with it (casparts and the main folder)? Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make sure everything is done correctly.
Again, thank you! :D

EDIT:
Okay, maybe I spoke too soon. Untitool did, in fact open after I did that but when I went to "Find a CAS part" a window saying "Please find your Sims 3 root. I did and then the same window keeps popping open. And when I click cancel it completely closes out of Terminal shows another error -____- :

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "/Users/Rachel/Downloads/MTS_CTU_Team_991369_CasTextureUnitoolNo3D/casparts/pfTopShirtLongSleeveLayered.caspart".
File name: '/Users/Rachel/Downloads/MTS_CTU_Team_991369_CasTextureUnitoolNo3D/casparts/pfTopShirtLongSleeveLayered.caspart'
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CASPartEditor.Form1.showMeshDetails () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CASPartEditor.Form1.cmbMeshName_SelectedIndexChanged (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.SetSelectedIndex (Int32 value, Boolean supressAutoScroll) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex (Int32 value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CASPartEditor.Form1.getMeshNames (System.String gender, System.String age, System.String parttype) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CASPartEditor.Form1.cmbSimAge_SelectedIndexChanged (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.SetSelectedIndex (Int32 value, Boolean supressAutoScroll) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox:SetSelectedIndex (int,bool)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox+ComboListBox.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonUp (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox+ComboListBox.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Mon Mar 5 04:18:41 Rachel-Shepards-MacBook.local mono[89551] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Mon Mar 5 04:18:41 Rachel-Shepards-MacBook.local mono[89551] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Mon Mar 5 04:18:41 Rachel-Shepards-MacBook.local mono[89551] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Mon Mar 5 04:18:41 Rachel-Shepards-MacBook.local mono[89551] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Mon Mar 5 04:18:41 Rachel-Shepards-MacBook.local mono[89551] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window

Also, I tried rooting it to the casparts folder too since I noticed that's where all the parts are but that didn't work either. I click the folder and then ok and it closes and then window telling me to find root folder pops open again over and over.

In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 1:08 PM
Have you done step#10? Can I see an image of the Options dialog window with a view of the path? Looks like CTU still cannot locate your Sims 3 program files.

So my CTU setup is Desktop/Tools/DelphyCTU/casparts. The CTU program rar has its own casparts folder that I remove and use the contents of casparts.rar instead.

Just a tip: I generally don't keep Applications I use in the Downloads folder. Once I've installed it, it goes to an Archive or if it gets updated regularly from a reliable programmer/development team, it goes into the Trash. The Downloads folder is kinda temporary location for things I've downloaded and need to install, so once I've handled that, it gets moved or deleted - you know - GTD (handle things once)!
For all my Sims 3 Projects, I have 2 folders on my Desktop: Tools and Projects.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:55 PM
Have you done step#10? Can I see an image of the Options dialog window with a view of the path? Looks like CTU still cannot locate your Sims 3 program files.

So my CTU setup is Desktop/Tools/DelphyCTU/casparts. The CTU program rar has its own casparts folder that I remove and use the contents of casparts.rar instead.

Just a tip: I generally don't keep Applications I use in the Downloads folder. Once I've installed it, it goes to an Archive or if it gets updated regularly from a reliable programmer/development team, it goes into the Trash. The Downloads folder is kinda temporary location for things I've downloaded and need to install, so once I've handled that, it gets moved or deleted - you know - GTD (handle things once)!
For all my Sims 3 Projects, I have 2 folders on my Desktop: Tools and Projects.

Yeah, I didn't completely understand step 10.
So, do you only use the the casparts folder? And deleted the "MTS_CTU_Team_991369_CasTextureUnitoolNo3D" folder?

And is this what you're asking for?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 3:36 PM
Yep - correct picture.
Wrong entry. The "Sims 3 Root folder" path needs to point to the transgaming path (like in my pictures), not your User's Documents path.

Extract this file first: the "MTS_CTU_Team_987146_CasTextureUnitool.rar" as it has a casparts folder on its own. But its empty.
Then extract the "MTS_CTU_Team_987224_CasParts.rar" into the casparts of the Unitool folder created above.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 2:03 AM Last edited by eringobragh22 : 6th Mar 2012 at 2:14 AM.
Yep - correct picture.
Wrong entry. The "Sims 3 Root folder" path needs to point to the transgaming path (like in my pictures), not your User's Documents path.

Extract this file first: the "MTS_CTU_Team_987146_CasTextureUnitool.rar" as it has a casparts folder on its own. But its empty.
Then extract the "MTS_CTU_Team_987224_CasParts.rar" into the casparts of the Unitool folder created above.

Ohh okay. I think that makes sense now. So just put all the files that are in the caspart.rar into the empty casparts folder?

And I feel dumb now. haha I can clearly see in your images the correct path yet I somehow completely bypassed that earlier. Let's try this once again.

Okay, it appears to be working now. Although it's a little laggy when I scroll through the casparts after selecting age/gender/type of clothes. But I'll just choose to look past that. =P
Now, I just wonder if I can actually make stencils and whatnot like I originally planned. The last time I attempted to get the DDS plugin for Photoshop that wouldn't work either. -_-
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:18 AM
Any non-native program is going to be laggy and somewhat crashy on a Mac. And some features won't ever work properly, even though the program can run on a Mac. You can load it, but it cannot run as the programmer intended. It goes with the territory - because of the added layer of processing they require on Mono or any other "virtual" platforms. If you're really into creating for the game, I'd strongly suggest getting Windows and using BootCamp. You'll get less headaches that way.

Jumping through hoops during Installation is only the first hurdle when creating on Macs with native-PC-based applications.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:27 AM
Any non-native program is going to be laggy and somewhat crashy on a Mac. And some features won't ever work properly, even though the program can run on a Mac. You can load it, but it cannot run as the programmer intended. It goes with the territory - because of the added layer of processing they require on Mono or any other "virtual" platforms. If you're really into creating for the game, I'd strongly suggest getting Windows and using BootCamp. You'll get less headaches that way.

Jumping through hoops during Installation is only the first hurdle when creating on Macs with native-PC-based applications.

Yeah, I used to play only on a PC and then when I bought my own computer, I bought a Mac. I have a love/hate relationship with it.
I do however have a pc. It used to have Linux on it and I attempted to install a burned copy of Windows on it and that failed. So, now it has no OS and I can't figure how to get one on it. Also, I'd rather not go out and spend an arm and a leg on Windows and don't know anyone with a spare copy.

So, do you have any idea if there is a compatible Mac DDS-Plugin for Photoshop (or GIMP)? I tried just using GIMP instead although I'd rather not but now I cannot find a DDS-Plugin for that either....
In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eringobragh22
So, do you have any idea if there is a compatible Mac DDS-Plugin for Photoshop (or GIMP)? I tried just using GIMP instead although I'd rather not but now I cannot find a DDS-Plugin for that either....
No idea on this, sorry! Google is no help? I don't have Photoshop Mac version to even test.
Isn't the plug-in just a Python script?

I know for Gimp it is. And is installed in the script folders (either in Documents Appdata or Programs path). So since I also have no idea where the AppData equivalent for Mac is - I suggest :google:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 5:24 AM
No idea on this, sorry! Google is no help? I don't have Photoshop Mac version to even test.
Isn't the plug-in just a Python script?

I know for Gimp it is. And is installed in the script folders (either in Documents Appdata or Programs path). So since I also have no idea where the AppData equivalent for Mac is - I suggest :google:

I've been Googling it for several hours now. =P
It's looking like there isn't a Mac compatible DDS Plugin but I was hoping that someone on here knew of a workaround. Most people just say to use GIMP since it apparently has a DDS plugin but I can't find one for Mac either. And I can't even make simple clothign stencils without using .dds files.
Also...I have no idea what a Python script is? haha

Anyway, thanks for all your help with Unitool! At least that's one problem out of the way. :D