Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 5:32 AM Last edited by Qnshr5 : 18th Nov 2013 at 6:49 PM.
Default Genre Drama--Application/Round 1

“What is drama but life with the dull bits cut out?” ~Alfred Hitchcock, writer/director

Concept:
Storytelling is as old as time. Just as our ancient ancestors exchanged tales in different forms--from oral to dance to drawings--so are Sims stories told in different forms. In the modern world there are 3 major storytelling mediums: written, moving picture and still picture. This contest will take those mediums and give you the opportunity to create each one (written stories, films or screenplays and pictures to be used like graphic novels) in 3 rounds with one continuous story. There is a final hitch. You must also switch and mesh different genres each round, too. Combining genres is popular in all forms of commercial storytelling right now. While it’s not as easy as it looks, done well, this skill brings a freshness to old structures. If you’re looking for a challenge, want to flex your storytelling muscles or just want to have some fun, Genre Drama brings it all.

Contest Rules:
1. Forum Rules Apply
2. Sims 2 & 3 accepted
3. No eliminations.
4. No post-editing (unless absolutely necessary and after PMing me for permission). This way judges can begin judging as soon as they’re ready to.
5. One entry per person. First round is application. No placeholders. Must have 5-20 entries.
6. Any CC are allowed. Giving credit is optional, but not necessary as CC neither counts for or against you. Also, all WCIFs regarding entries should be handled in private messaging and not the contest thread itself.
7. Original stories only. No borrowed or recycled stories.
8. Main character(s) must be your creation. Can be any age, species, pet, etc.
9. One continuous story that must have a beginning, middle and end. Endings can be ambiguous or cliffhangers, but must be conclusive.
10. Must have a title and include a 1-3 sentence synopsis with your story’s question above your entry. (See entry form & Round 1 Act 1 below)
11. PG-13 or below only! No Explicit material please! This means no graphic violence, sexual themes, or mature adult material. Cursing is allowed, but must be kept within reason/relevancy.
12. Entry must be in spoiler tags. Example:

Requirements:
Noobs-veterans. This is more about learning and honing the story telling skill in general through handling character, genre, fiction elements and atmosphere cohesively with words, pics, film.

Rounds:
1. Each round will feature a different medium of storytelling: written story, film (or a screenplay with storyboard) and pictures (to be used like “graphic novels”).

2. There are a total of 12 genres to choose from (see below for genre list). In the first round, you will pick 1 genre from 4 sub-genres (speculative/setting based fiction genres) to be the main genre of your story. Because these genres rely heavily on setting and world building, it’s difficult to pull them in out of nowhere. This genre must be featured in each round throughout your story--beginning, middle and end.

3. Out of 10 broad genres you must choose a second genre for each round (a total of 3). This genre will be secondary to the main genre. You cannot use the same secondary genre twice. Once you use it that’s it. The goal is to mesh the two genres together while keeping the continuity and fluidity of the story. You can continue any subplots or refer to anything that happened during the use of a previous round’s genre. You just have to incorporate the new genre into your story. You can even plan your genres from the beginning and have bits that point to a future round. That’s fine. The point here is blending and mixing the genres well. How you use the genres in each round is up to you. Be sure, though, that only two genres are clearly prominent in each round.

Genres: (please see: Genre Explanations & Objectives)
Main: Dystopian. Gothic. Period Piece. Steampunk.
Secondary: Adventure. Comedy. Drama. Fantasy. Horror. Mystery. Romance. Sci-fi. Supernatural. Thriller.

4. In the genre explanations, each genre is grouped into one of four categories of story elements. These elements are found in every genre, but have a greater emphasis in the genres that are featured in them. Pay attention to the story element category and objective of the genres you choose each round. Judges will be looking to see if you accomplished the expectation (objective & element) of your genre.

For example, all main genres feature the Setting--Place & Time story element so a Dystopian will explore a world of repression. If it's a Dystopian Romance (in which character connection is the story element) then that round should feature a deep look at the characters (Romance's story element) in love (Romance's objective) within a repressive society (Dystopian's element & objective). If your next round was a Dystopian Thriller, you'd explore a conflict of heightened danger for your character (Thriller's objective) that antes up the tension & suspense (Thriller's story element) within that same repressive society (Dystopian's element & objective). You could continue the romantic arc as a subplot or the driving force or kill it off, that's up to you and the story. The point is to feature another secondary genre each round. Thus, round 3 would still be Dystopian (whether you topple that society or not), but neither Romance nor Thriller would be the central focus. Your entire story could have the same story element throughout with different secondary genres or different genres and different elements each round.

The story element categories will make it easier for you to decide which genres will work best for your story as they give you a general look at a main focus of what otherwise would appear to be very different genres.

5. Follow the Three Act story structure. Each round will explain what’s expected. (Don’t worry. It’s actually quite simple. )

Judges:
2-3 judges and 1-2 emergency judge are needed. Judges should expect to score within 72 hours after a round closes. I can fill in as a judge. Judges must meet contest forum rules. I’d prefer that judges have a background in any form of sims story making, ie stories, machinima, pictures or avid reader/watcher or judging so good constructive feedback can be given to contestants with their scores. Please PM (private message) me with qualifications and tell why you’re passionate about stories.

Judging:

Parameters:
All the criteria breakdown is based on a 5 point scale with 5=nailed it, 4=mostly yes 3=almost 2=somewhat 1=barely 0=not at all

1. Creativity (10): Is the story original?(5) Is it entertaining?(5)

2. Character (15): Is the main character realistic and relatable, emphatic?(5) Is their goal and desires clear & understandable?(5) Do they have a development arc?(5)

3. Story (20): Does the plot make sense/understandable?(5) Are the points in the Three Act structure there?(5) Is it flowing, choppy, or stagnant?(5) Does every scene, shot, picture, word move the story/film forward?(5)

4. Genre (20): Is the main genre clearly represented/shape the story(5) Are the expectations of the genre met?(5) Do the main genre and secondary genre blend together well?(5) Do the story elements of the genres stand out?5

5. Atmosphere (20): Altogether (plot/characters/setting), does the overall mood, tone, emotion fit the genre/storyline?(5) Do the props/staging draw us into the world?(5)
***NOTE: Each medium (story, film, picture) will have 10 points specifically for that medium’s round. The following is a breakdown of three separate rounds NOT one or all rounds. ***
  • For Story Round: Do the words paint a picture?(5) Do the screenshots complement the story/bring it alive?(5)
  • For Film/Screenplay Round: Is it visually stimulating?(5) Films Only: Does the audio/music complement the film/bring it alive?(5) Screenplays Only: Can the story be "seen" like a moving picture through the words?(5)
  • For Picture/Graphic Novel Round: Do the pictures tell the story?(5) Is it visually stimulating?(5)

6. Presentation(15): Is it organized/follow the entry form?(5) Does it adhere to the rules?(5) Is it within the rounds limits (screenshots/words/time/editing)?(5)

7. Bonus Rounds(15): Breakdown of points determined per round.

Scores will be added and averaged between the judges. Max points=100/round. Bonus round max=115/100

Judges:
1. eyelleenn
2. Qnshr5
3. ijustneedsomeeyes

Emergency Judge(s):
1. heaven

Timeline:
You have three (3) weeks to complete each round. Rounds end 11:59:59 PST.
Round 1 begins Oct 29; ends Nov 19
Round 2 begins Nov 20; ends Dec 11
Round 3 begins Dec 12; ends Jan 4(two extra days because of the holidays)
Extensions: Late entries will be accepted with a -10 point penalty up to 24hrs and -20 up to 48 hours after a round closes. This applies to all rounds EXCEPT Round 1 (no late entries!). Penalties are taken out of your final round score (not bonus points).

This applies unless I’m PM’d before the round ends with a good excuse for an individual no penalty extension. If there are a lot of contestants who need an extension, a round extension without penalty will be made, but don’t bank on it.

Entries and Scores:
ContestantsRound 1 EntryRd 1 ScoreRound 2 EntryRd 2 ScoreRound 3 EntryRd 3 ScoreFinal Score

Round 1: Don’t Save the Drama for Your Mama!
Written Stories

Round 1 Ends: 19 Nov 2013 Timer

Entry Form Structure:

Resources:
For Story & Picture:
How to Write a Good Story
Picture Taking Tutorial

For Plotting/Other:
Five Plot Point Breakdowns Good for understanding story structure
Movie Genres Includes all but one of the genres used in this contest.
Advertisement
The other one
#2 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 8:08 AM
Oopsee. Looks like whoever approved just forgot to write the approval post. Sorry if that caused a little bit of a delay. I think you're good to go though. Hope you get plenty of entrants; it looks like a fun contest

Contest Approved
  • The host has checked in so let the contest applications commence!
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 8:29 AM
Thank you missroxor! Checking in for real! Let's get this show on the road!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 8:48 AM Last edited by Qnshr5 : 14th Nov 2013 at 4:29 AM.
Genre Explanations & Objectives:
You can get more information on the sub-genres of these genres at The Script Lab (which is what I used for most of the explanations below as it has good, to the point info.) So some of these may say film, but the genres stay the same no matter the medium. You don’t need a sub-genre, but seeing what the sub-genres of the big genres will give you a good understanding of not only what the genre entails, but how wide and open the genre is.

Each genre has a general explanation and an objective for the contest to help you better zone in on how to present it.

Field Researcher
#5 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 2:13 PM
Hello I want to be a Judge I am particapating in Loafs It takes a village contest and I've been a member since Janurary

Check out my Tumblr its called Sims2pictures

Call me Colin
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 7:49 AM
Just a reminder, if anyone is interested in either being a Judge or an Emergency Judge, please PM me.

Everyone: If you have any questions about this contest, don't hesitate to ask.

Memory Games A Sims 3 Thriller Mystery
Test Subject
#7 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 5:09 AM
I would like to join this contest if I may.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 6:06 AM
You certainly can Pseudocode. When your entry is ready submitted here. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 10:34 PM
Okay, just so I can make it clear so I don't get into hard work only to do things all wrong, all three rounds -has- to be a different form of storytelling? Say round one I chose to film, second round would be my "graphic novel", and the third would be the traditional way of Sim story telling: pictures with words?

"Open your mind before your mouth."
-Chris Motionless from Motionless in White
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PrettyKitty23
Okay, just so I can make it clear so I don't get into hard work only to do things all wrong, all three rounds -has- to be a different form of storytelling? Say round one I chose to film, second round would be my "graphic novel", and the third would be the traditional way of Sim story telling: pictures with words?

Each round seems to already be chosen for which medium you should be using. Under the Round 1, it says "Written Stories" so I believe the first round is the traditional story form. You'll just choose your genre.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PrettyKitty23

heaven is right. To make it easier for judging, the mediums are chosen for each round. You'll choose your main genre for all rounds and then a secondary genre for each round. The first round is "traditional" Sim story telling: pictures with words/prose or Written Stories (with pictures). Chosen since it is the easiest for a beginner to ease into Sim story telling.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#12 Old 12th Nov 2013 at 10:42 PM
I've got a start at this, but I still don't know if I'm going to enter. There's a LOT of different components to this contest; it's a bit overwhelming. It's not terribly complicated, it's just a lot to consider. I'm also a bit bummed by the steampunk time period restrictions, it wouldn't stop me, but I like to blend a "rebuilt" future with steampunk. I thought about some sort of alternate timeline with in your given eras, but then my head started hurting, lol. Dystopian is better as far as stuff I already have for TS2, most of my steampunk stuff is in TS3, which doesn't play well enough on my pc for this contest.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Nov 2013 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jones7659
I've got a start at this, but I still don't know if I'm going to enter. There's a LOT of different components to this contest; it's a bit overwhelming. It's not terribly complicated, it's just a lot to consider. I'm also a bit bummed by the steampunk time period restrictions, it wouldn't stop me, but I like to blend a "rebuilt" future with steampunk. I thought about some sort of alternate timeline with in your given eras, but then my head started hurting, lol. Dystopian is better as far as stuff I already have for TS2, most of my steampunk stuff is in TS3, which doesn't play well enough on my pc for this contest.

I had thought of putting a future option in the time restrictions. I can't remember why I decided not to. I may have thought it might confuse someone, but I guess they could just ask if they're unsure. Anyway, I'll open the genre up to include a future option just be sure to have an explanation (can be brief) as to why the future looks this way and keep the overall style/look within the stated time periods of 1760-1940 (thus there can be some things that have a modern or futuristic look/function).

But another option that may go better with what you already have in game is to go with dystopian and just have a steampunk look or flare. A dystopian world doesn't have to be grey or medieval. It could be the opposite in appearance. You can have more than two genres, but you'll be judged on the two genres you state in your entry form. So, if it was a dystopian with a steampunk style then the dystopian world would be judged not the steampunk look to the world. So the oppressive society should take precedence over the "what if" advanced tech were in the past or the future regressed to a past time. As far as the four main genres go, dystopian has the most leeway in how the creator wants it to look. Even gothic, though it's open as far as time is concerned, has look as its restriction as it needs a dark style. So, as long as what's in your world looks like it's apart of that world, you can do whatever you want in dystopian.

I hope that helps. I know it's a lot of options to sort through and decide on.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th Nov 2013 at 2:36 PM
What I have going on is dystopian, with a bit of "forced" steampunk because of having to reuse materials and relearn technology.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 4:32 PM
Alright, there are 3 days and 15 hrs left until round 1 closes. Hopefully we'll start seeing some entries soon.

Also, if anyone is interested in being a judge, we still have one slot left. Just send me a private message.

Field Researcher
#16 Old 17th Nov 2013 at 7:34 AM
I considered it because I love doing stories, but in the end the need for the film part just wouldn't have made it enjoyable for me
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Nov 2013 at 3:06 AM Last edited by Qnshr5 : 18th Nov 2013 at 3:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Tamlyn
I considered it because I love doing stories, but in the end the need for the film part just wouldn't have made it enjoyable for me

Don't let that keep you away! The film part has two options. You can either do a film or a screenplay. The "screenplay with storyboard" option will look like a script with pictures. So, going that route would be still be writing for those who don't or can't do a film. The difference being that the writing style and amount would not be the same as a written story since a script is more visual in tone, is in present tense and focuses on dialogue & action (not thoughts since you can't see thoughts unless, of course, you think out loud or use a voice over ). I see that I did forget to add the second judging criteria for the screenplay, though, which might be cause for confusion.

But for anyone who is feeling intimidated by either the film or graphic novel parts, you can write through the entire contest! I have no intention of forcing you add speech and thought bubbles to your pictures in the graphic novel round either. But how the written parts are done will change in each of these rounds. Instead of stretching your visual arts muscles you can focus on stretching your writing and picture taking muscles. I hope that helps and it's not too late for anyone who still wants to enter!
ETA: There will be resources for each round to help anyone unfamiliar with that medium gain understanding of how to do it.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 18th Nov 2013 at 8:09 AM
I think it probably is a little late for me. I should have said something earlier!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Nov 2013 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tamlyn
I think it probably is a little late for me. I should have said something earlier!

I'm sorry, Tamlyn. I would have loved to have you.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Nov 2013 at 6:55 PM
We have the 3 required judges: eyelleenn, ijustneedsomeeyes and myself. And our emergency judge heaven. If someone else would like to be an EJ there is one more slot open, but it's not necessary. Now all we need are some contestants! Can't wait to see what stories everyone comes up with.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 20th Nov 2013 at 9:14 AM
Time's up. This round and the contest are closed due to no entries. I guess I should have been less confusing and taken more time to explain the film category as that got several agrees to being off putting. It sounds more scary than I had planned it to be. Even in the screenplay option the script format would have been bonus points so it could have been written in prose since only words, not format, are actually judged. But, then again, I'm not sure that that's the main reason there was little interest so I don't know if I would try this contest again or not. Story contests don't seem to get as much lovin'.

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#22 Old 20th Nov 2013 at 10:25 AM
I think some of the problems regarding contests in general is that MTS needs to promote them better as they are rather 'buried'. An announcement on the front page would help enormously! I saw your contest but I am not a story writer so had no plans to enter. I am sorry that your contest did not receive any entries.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#23 Old 20th Nov 2013 at 10:29 AM
Bah

I think it is a real shame that you did not get the entries; though I now realise that November is nanowrimo month. Its such a huge investment in time to do a story contest; the ones that have got the entrants have always turned out to be one of the fave things people do and something people can look back on with pride. I think its often a case of too many things we want to do and not enough time.

Don't give up on the idea - I like the format and I think if you were to perhaps post a story in the story section using this format then that would help for a future contest as then you could link to a finished example.

@ Karen - we really did try and publicise - several staff posted to tumblr and we also posted a front page announcement : http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=514604

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Nov 2013 at 10:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
@ Karen - we really did try and publicise - several staff posted to tumblr and we also posted a front page announcement : http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=514604
Oh, yes, see it now. Sorry, must've missed that one.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Qnshr5
Time's up. This round and the contest are closed due to no entries. I guess I should have been less confusing and taken more time to explain the film category as that got several agrees to being off putting. It sounds more scary than I had planned it to be. Even in the screenplay option the script format would have been bonus points so it could have been written in prose since only words, not format, are actually judged. But, then again, I'm not sure that that's the main reason there was little interest so I don't know if I would try this contest again or not. Story contests don't seem to get as much lovin'.

Thanks for making the attempt. I considered entering but could not commit to the time involved. The whole setting up the world thing was a bit intimidating for me. Loved the idea of the genre mashup though and I would have loved to read all the stories.

Page 1 of 2