Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 11:36 PM
Default Trans sims?
Following on from this thread, wherein I suggested that an apparently-female Goth baby born into a "Beginning of Pleasantview" type hood could grow up to be Mortimer, I was wondering - how many of you have trans sims in your game, and how do you implement sim transition if you do?

I've been curious about the possibility of trans sims for a few years, ever since reading this post by strange_tomato in which she talks about playing Sam Thomas as a trans man (using InSim to change "gender behaviour" to male, among other things). I've never had InSim in my own game, so didn't really follow through on this curiosity - but in the time since then, I've gained a number of friends & loved ones who are openly trans, and it's starting to feel a little narrow & unrealistic to have all my sims be cis. In the same way I enjoy using ACR's "gender preference" settings to get some diversity in sim sexuality, I'd now like to have more diversity in sim gender identity, and finally get all letters of the LGBT acronym into my game. So: any tips?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 12:23 AM
I've done it a lot (not personally, just deciding to change a sim). And I have the hair and clothes to make it fun! I do it when the sim seems that way, or a teen grows up in clothes that look ...um, not the right gender. Or just because. And (since it's NOT RL) I don't have to worry about things like: If that little boy likes girly clothes, does that make him ANYTHING, except maybe a future clothes designer? If a teen boy dresses (feels?) like a girl, but he LIKES girls, does that mean he's a lesbian?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 1:27 AM
No. Apart from the bother of having to set it up, I like my neighbourhoods as utopias where no one is ever born into the wrong gender (and pregnancy only happens if you want it etc.).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cakeninja
How many of you have trans sims in your game, and how do you implement sim transition if you do?

I have one trans Sim. When she aged up to toddler, it was just clear that her gender is female and screw what the game said. I can't explain it, her name just didn't suit her and everything about her said female to me. I made the transition in three steps. First step was choosing clothing I felt she'd like, then changed her name, and finally used SimPE to fully transition. I also created a custom memory for the trans sim itself, and for friends/family. I also changed some of the memories of her birth. I use a lot of custom memories, so instead of the regular maxis memories for births mine get custom ones where the memory description depends on how they are related. So for example her big brother had gotten a "got brother" memory, which was changed to a got sister memory.

I'll include some pictures of Sigrid growing up, and the fully transitioned Sigrid.

She's the only trans sim so far, because she's the only one that's given me the impression that she is trans and that the game got her gender wrong. If another one pops up at some point they too will transition

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Instructor
#5 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 12:44 PM
Since this is a game where gender can be "changed" at birth by not saving...I like to believe that every sim born is born their true gender. However, they may express their gender non-traditionally (or not at all!).
Scholar
#6 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 3:22 PM
I've got one Sim who's trans (female to male), but he's a supporting character from a story. (I made Sims of an OC and some of his friends, and put them in a house.) Sims that are just Sims, born in a legacy or something, are different. I tend to avoid projecting serious real-world issues onto them, because they live the sort of ridiculous lives you expect from Sims.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 5:49 AM
Years ago, I ended up with an accidentally trans sim. The family had 5 boys, I wanted one to be a girl. I tried probably 10 times, always a boy. So I decided to change it in SimPE.

If you've ever changed a sims gender in SimPE, it's a 2-step process. You have to change the option to treat as male or female, and change the character file.I changed "Treat as" to female and saved. I tried change the character file and SimPE crashed. And continued to crash every time I opened it. I couldn't get it to work ever again for that hood. I decided to give up, go back and just live with the boy.

I didn't notice until Eduardo became a teen that because I had left him selected as female, "he" had a female voice. I thought that was a good estimation of a real trans person- assigned a male body at birth, but identifying as female.

The hood got borked so I never got to work on an actual transition. I've thought about recreating it, but haven't found the right sim.
Alchemist
#8 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 10:12 PM
in past times playing did do transgendered sims. Don & Nina to Dawn & Neo; the Burb couple.

this time playing; have plans to transgender these couples::
-Nina Caliente & Gordon King to Nimrod & Gina.
-Herb & Coral to Hera & Carlo
maybe Cassandra Goth & Don Lothario; if I do, would also transgender at least Alexander Goth.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 4:53 PM
@grammapat: oooh, where did you get the hair & clothes from? Would you mind sharing some links?

I think my game wants me to follow through on this "thinking about including trans sims" thing, because Darren Dreamer just rolled a want to become a witch. Not a warlock, which is the want I usually see on male sims, but specifically a witch. And if that's not an example of a sim telling me their preferred gender, I don't know what is.

@Charity and @TigerAnne: sure, I understand the desire to give your sims easy lives without involving Serious Real-World Issues. For my part, my game is no utopia (what with alien abductions, ACR pregancies, plenty of sims living in poverty, not to mention the situations that the Newsons and Nervous Subject started off in...), but trans sims in my game will get an easier time of it than trans people do in real life, so perhaps I should call it semi-utopic. There's no racism or homophobia in my megahood, and I'm not going to be simulating any transphobia either.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 5:35 PM
sorry cake person, I don't have any LINKS! Some of my hairs say "XMS.Flora" I have so many hairs (mostly long, curly, some with flowers), and so many CLOTHES! I keep them in a separate folder..

Scholar
#11 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 6:17 PM
I have a trans couple. Jo (FtM) and Alex (MtF). Alex is gorgeous even more so than some of my born as female Sims. They have adopted 3 children and had one of their own. I forget who carried it.

Now BoilingOil has a mod where you can change the gender permanently by earning a token with aspiration points. I consider that saving up for the surgery. It takes a long time though, so I did change them with SimPE. Alex sounds female and can get pregnant by a male. Also Jo sounds male now. I have a...ahem, CrammyBoy installed so Jo has, erm, male parts even though the body is still shaped female. I have proper clothing so they look the correct genders it's just when are naked but I play it as Sims can't have surgery like that except facial surgery lol

In one hood Pascal is trans, and another I gave a mother to the Newson children who is a trans woman named Gloria since EA says the mystery adoptive mother was named Gloria.

I will post pictures of them soon

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 6:17 PM
grammapat, that's quite okay! I'll keep looking around & maybe post a WCIF topic. And meanwhile, since I now have a sim telling me quite clearly that they'd be happier as a woman, let's see what I can achieve using Maxis-only content...

Well, it's not perfect, but it's a start. Please allow me to (re)introduce Pleasantview's leading artist, Violet Dreamer:

I'll take her jewellery-shopping next time she goes to a community lot, let her grow her hair out some more over the next few rotations, and have a look round for some skirts or dresses that work with the EM mesh.
Screenshots
Scholar
#13 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 6:52 PM
@cakeninja Trust me, my Sims don't always have easy lives. Their problems are always within the realm of what the game mechanics throw at them, though. I know that many players want more serious issues in the games: Real life illnesses that require long treatments, Sims being disabled and using wheelchairs, the possibility for children/babies to die in accidents, sexual abuse, substance addiction and racism, to mention a few I've seen mentioned. Some legacy writers include things like these in their stories, although it logically cannot have happened in the game.

Sims being dirt poor and literally living on the lawn, being orphaned, abducted by aliens or becoming severely depressed, all of that is regular gameplay. What I meant, was that when I play legacy families, I allow shit to hit the fan within the confines of what the game can throw at them. However, I don't add in things like racism, sexism, gender dysphoria, or religion, for the sake of a more gripping story. It doesn't really fit with a reality where mental illness is treated by a guy who flies on a pocket-windmill, and loneliness makes you hallucinate big, pastel bunnies.

With Sims that are based on my own original characters, things are different. I can't give a Sim a debilitating bowel disease, but I can give him an appearance that suggests he's not healthy, for example. I don't actually play their stories in the game, though. OCs just act like townies. On the other hand, I'm toying with the idea of turning one of my many plot-puppies into a Sim-illustrated story. It would be set in the real world, and would touch upon real-world issues like politics, religion, science, identity and heritage. I'm not sure I have the guts, though.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 6:59 PM
As an example: Holly Wood, from the wonderful hood Emerald Heights. When she became a teen she told her parents she liked girls. They sent her to a Home for Wayward Girls - like she was BAD! It WAS for the best - she was accepted by the other girls, started hormone treatments, and when she became an adult was the man she always knew she was!

...and no amount of make up would have made her PRETTY!

Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cakeninja
I think my game wants me to follow through on this "thinking about including trans sims" thing, because Darren Dreamer just rolled a want to become a witch. Not a warlock, which is the want I usually see on male sims, but specifically a witch. And if that's not an example of a sim telling me their preferred gender, I don't know what is.

I would be careful though, as the game doesn't create trans sims and the wrong gender want may be a sign of corruption.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I would be careful though, as the game doesn't create trans sims and the wrong gender want may be a sign of corruption.

Yeah, I figured it might well be a corruption symptom, albeit a relatively benign one. It's a Maxis Pleasantview that I started before I was aware of Tarlia's cleaned versions, so corruption is pretty much a given, unfortunately. I'm just enjoying the hood while it lasts...
Mad Poster
#17 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 2:31 AM
I have had one-she was a true one-because the skin that she appeared in was for a male. How was I supposed to know which sex she'd be? It was a very attractive skin, and it wasn't tagged for male or female, but once you saw her naked, you noticed it. I think she did, for sure..

She became a very popular 'woman of the streets' and fell in love with all of her customers-but she refused to marry any of them, fearing that her secret would be discovered. I think she rather enjoyed playing with their affections. I really should restart that hood to see how she made out. She was a hoot to play.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 6:00 AM
I've ended up in a weird situation before where I decided to resolve it by just playing the sim as trans, before I had any serious mods in my game, just cc clothing and makeup and hairs, not even cc objects, so years and years back now. For some weird reason I messed up naming a pair of twins, giving the boy the name intended for the girl and the girl the name intended for the boy. The name that was supposed to be the boy's was gender-neutral, and the name supposed to be the girl's was, well, not. So I had a pair of twins named something like Jordan and Tiffany and didn't realise until they were children because toddler girls often end up looking like toddler boys because there are hair options in common. I was really busy in the family and hadn't even bothered bringing them to a mirror to change their appearance to spot the problem. So after I noticed, before I next launched the game, I found and downloaded a few female clothing options for male sims, ones that had meshes that turned the bodies female-looking not just obviously dresses on men, and some long hairs for men. So I used those to dress up Tiffany and played her like a girl even though the game still recognised her in all ways as biologically a dude. And it wasn't that I found this easier than trying to find a mod to change names in game or figuring out how to do it in SimPE, I just figured it's happened so I'll run with it.
Scholar
#19 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 6:08 AM Last edited by DezzyBoo : 12th Dec 2017 at 6:32 AM.
Here are some of my trans Sims

Alex Jones

Alex and her husband Jo Jones

Pascal Curious (I haven't changed her name yet)

And recently I decided Jo and Alex's son Christian should be trans. He was born with the same feminine skin as Alex and a beautiful face and there was just no way he wasn't supposed to be female. She is now Christiana, because I am so creative and junk.

More about them here.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#20 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 6:16 AM
You can probably get away with Pascale as a girl's name. I think that Christine would be the female equivalent of Christian.
Alchemist
#21 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 1:08 AM
there are a number of feminine equivalents of Christian; Christina, Christine, Christy, etc.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 6:23 PM
Dezzyboo: and I am SO SICK of "disagree" people!

Theorist
#23 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 6:31 PM
*giggles* ....

sorry @grammapat ... I HAD to ...
(I don't really disagree, but the brat in me made me do it ... :P)
Mad Poster
#24 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 6:39 PM
TSK. I had no idea WHO did it;but since it was just you, being silly, I won't have to punish you. Want to help frost Christmas cookies? Lick the fudge pan?

Theorist
#25 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
TSK. I had no idea WHO did it;but since it was just you, being silly, I won't have to punish you. Want to help frost Christmas cookies? Lick the fudge pan?

I meant I was YOUR disagreer.

I disagreed that you don't like the disagreer ... does that mean it comes full circle ...

ok my head is spinnin now ... lol
Page 1 of 2