Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 2:14 PM
Default TS3 and Dragon Age
I was hoping I might find someone here who is experienced with modding both TS3 and Dragon Age... specifically creating custom hairs. I'd really love take some of the hairs from Dragon Age and convert them for use in TS3.

In your experience, would I be able to take anything from the Dragon Age files to convert into TS3 files (like textures?), or would I probably have to start from scratch and just try to model the TS3 hairs after the DA hairs as closely as possible?

Thank you for any help anyone can give me!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 2:23 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a utility that will let you look at the DA textures... I know at one point I started poking around to see if I could see why the skins in it are so darn pretty compared to TS3.

There's this: http://social.bioware.com/project/41/
And also this: http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset

I know the textures for DA are .dds files. No idea what format the meshes are.

Whatever you do, it must be strictly for personal use only - NOT to be redistributed to others! Bioware's content is copyrighted and without their permission to share what you make with their stuff, well, I think they probably have more lawyers than you do is all.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 2:31 PM
There's also a tutorial here on how to get the files out and convert them, etc.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 3:11 PM
Thank you so much for the help! I admit, I've never modded DA or had much success with TS3, so this might be too ambitious of a project to take on - these are definitely starting me out well though. Thanks again!!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 9:48 PM
It would be awesome if someone managed to do it. Also do you think that it would be possible to do it the other way e.g Sims 3 ----> Dragon Age? Cause the hairs in the game are horrid.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 19th Oct 2010 at 11:28 PM
first thing first ,you gonna need DAO installed ...
- you need the Dragon AgeToolset v1.01 from Bioware official site .
- you need some knowledge of scripting ...

the plug-ins
- for MAX2010 are "DAOImportExport5.07" by Eshme ..
the ones I use .
- for Blender 2,49 (not 2.5beta) with Python 2.6 use these DragonBlender_v011 by NewByPower

the mesh format can be a little confusing at first ,goes like this :
MMH / PHY: "modelhierarchies.erf"
MSH : "modelmeshdata.erf"
MAO: "materialobjects.erf"
DDS: "textures.erf"
ANI / GAD: "anims.erf" etc..

in DAO ; The bones and geometry are loaded separate ...
GOOD Luck !