Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#51 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 2:42 AM
Strange ideas you have of Russian restaurants. I've been to a few and never seen anything alike in them. And I'm from Russia.

The ones I've been to were pretty expensive, though. But I have serious doubts that bathrooms your pictures show can be found in anything called a restaurant. Maybe a cheap eatery? Still weird, two toilets, a row of several sinks?

The last I've been to had a huge bathroom with one toilet, which among other functions, could air your butt. Oh, that was hilarious! Maybe that one was made in Japan. The bathroom also had layers on the floor, and a sink with mirror stood on the highest layer.

There's not really anything overtly Russian in architecture or design of restaurants, though. Well, maybe the dishes in some of them are Russian, but mostly not. You can make those at home, after all.
Advertisement
Inventor
#52 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 2:47 AM
I believe this would be an even better idea.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I would guess, though, that you have to go through the bathroom to get to the toilet, eh? So it's really part of the larger bathroom.

Nope. They both have separate doors that open out into the hall and they aren't connected at all.
Undead Molten Llama
#54 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 2:58 AM Last edited by iCad : 24th Dec 2014 at 3:09 AM.
@Babahara: Well, the original intent was more of a joke, I think, based on the silly pictures the media over here circulated around the time of the Sochi Olympics, when accommodations were being quickly constructed and things were a little...odd, plus inspired by an upload of a restaurant with a restroom configuration that the OP found to be a bit odd. So, basically, don't take it seriously. Really, there are weird toilets all over the world. This I can tell you from experience. One of the weirdest I ever saw was a urinal...for women. It looked like a space toilet. And that was in the States. And let's not even discuss some of the...interesting...things in Japan. Like, yeah, butt dryers.

@Charity: And that's actually an awfully convenient configuration for Sims. You ought to Sim your house.

@ScaryRob: Well, with the amount of time it takes for a Sim to pee (Like 15 in-game minutes, sometimes), I tend to imagine that hand-washing is included, even if we don't see it. I have no desire to have them spend another 15 in-game minutes washing their hands. Especially not in my large-families-with-one-bathroom households, where each person's bathroom time is scheduled and monitored so that everyone gets a chance.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#55 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Anyway, I was talking about having a (non-enclosed) toilet and a urinal in a gents' room. If there's a guy using the toilet, another guy won't come in and use the urinal. I don't actually know if another guy would come in if a guy was using the urinal, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't use the toilet if he did come in. I can't say I've ever seen/used a row of urinals in the game, whether or not multiple guy Sims will use them. I'm sure that set-up has been on a lot in my game, but I've just never thought about observing the behavior. Next time I'll pay attention.

I'm not sure if they would use them at the same time, but I did once have a line of urinals in game only to have everyone on the lot block my playable from getting near them. It was a unisex bathroom and they all just stood there talking. Needless to say he peed his pants and I went back and remodeled that bathroom.
Undead Molten Llama
#56 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 4:32 AM
Yeah, Sims do seem to like hanging out in bathrooms. They're like the social centers of their little world. Many of the babies in my game seem to be born in bathrooms... Sims often get married in them, too, because I just can't be bothered to move them to a more appropriate room, much less throw a wedding party shindig.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
Original Poster
#57 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
Strange ideas you have of Russian restaurants. I've been to a few and never seen anything alike in them. And I'm from Russia.

It was just a joke and most if not all of the pictures I posted probably didn't even come from Russia, although I'm pretty certain they're from sonewhere in Eastern Europe. Please don't be offended.

Quote:
The last I've been to had a huge bathroom with one toilet, which among other functions, could air your butt. Oh, that was hilarious! Maybe that one was made in Japan. The bathroom also had layers on the floor, and a sink with mirror stood on the highest layer.

Since you mention it:

I think that's obviously in someone's house - someone who takes their throne time very seriously.

Quote: Originally posted by pico22
I believe this would be an even better idea.

Hilarious.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Nope. They both have separate doors that open out into the hall and they aren't connected at all.

Wow, freaky.
But wait, I just checked your profile and you're in New Zealand, which is practically in Europe, culturally speaking, and the Queen is still your official Head of State, if I'm not mistaken. So that explains the weird bathroom configuration.

Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Really, there are weird toilets all over the world. This I can tell you from experience. One of the weirdest I ever saw was a urinal...for women. It looked like a space toilet.

Do you remember the inter-galactic bar scene in the original Star Wars movie, where all those creatures hung out? Image what the restrooms in a place like that must look like.

Although I've lived in the US for decades, I was born in Europe, the specific country I won't mention. The house I was born in was built sometime before WW2. It was my grandmother's house and she raised me until I was six years old.
Her little house had no indoor plumbing except for a cold water faucet in the kitchen sink. The toilet was an outhouse, out in the yard. A concrete cesspool under the yard had to be pumped out once or twice a year. The bathtub was one of those old tin ones and it was in the musty, dirty basement below the kitchen. This is a good example of one:

Not only was the plumbing minimal, but I think she only had a small wood stove to cook on, at least until I was about four or five, when she got an electric range. That would have been in the mid 1960s. I'm not sure about that though, she may have had the range already at the time I was born.
Something else she had were a couple of old fashioned irons, for ironing clothes. They were the kind where you had to put hot coals inside, kind of like this one:

It'd be cool to have those now, but I'm sure they were thrown away years ago.

Other than the wood stove in her kitchen, there was another one in the adjoining living room. There were two bedrooms upstairs, but no heating at all. In the wintertime, you just had to make a fire in the wood stove in the living room and leave the door to the little hallway open so the heat would eventually rise up the stairs to the second floor. We always used hot water bottles as well. I remember that we finally got a small oil burning stove to replace the wood burner in the living room, which was great because it could be kept running and keep the house warm all day and night, if needed.

I've got a TS2 version of the house, which I'll upload sometime. Architecturally it's done, I just need to furnish, decorate and test it.

My God, how primitive it all seems, yet it was as recent as the 1960s.

So, for the record, when I jest about European toilets or whatnot, I'm not doing it from the viewpoint of someone's who's never been there, because I have.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 2:07 PM
Yep, the separate toilet and bathroom (with sink in the bathroom, not the toilet) is typical of British houses built in the 1920s to around, perhaps, the 50s or 60s? I think it was because families were bigger and it was uncommon to have en-suite bathrooms or downstairs toilets so you really needed somewhere separate to go if somebody was in the bath already.

I don't know, though, why the sink is in the bathroom part. Because you have to touch two door handles to reach it! I would guess the privacy was less of an issue - people were used to sharing one tin bath full of water in front of the fire so nudity within families wasn't taboo, but watching somebody use the toilet is never pleasant. Most people I know who live in houses like that either knocked the wall through, or installed a mini sink in the toilet room.

If my sims are short of bathroom space I will omit the sink but in real life - no thank you!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 3:16 PM
@simsfreq makes sense! Yeah, I'd actually never seen a separate toilet until I went into old european houses. One was my great-grandma's, I think, and the other was built back when the local coal mine was still active, so pretty dang old. The things those door handles must've seen, though... *shudder*
Theorist
#60 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 8:27 PM
I wasn't offended I just didn't detect the humor and wanted to fix wrong thinking about restaurants, haha.

The picture with that throne toilet is golden comedy.
Mad Poster
#61 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 9:06 PM
ScaryRob, you reminded me my grandparents. They was living in small village between swamps. Outhouse, water from well and kerosene lamps...
Swamps got drained and electricity was connected to them at mid 70's.
Theorist
#62 Old 30th Dec 2014 at 2:21 PM
A toilet in Mashuga house, inspired by this thread:

This is a true Maghuga bathroom! Those who played TS1 will know.
Page 3 of 3