Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 5:38 PM Last edited by Acespt4u : 22nd Oct 2014 at 6:10 PM.
Default Can't beat the lag
Hey guys,

I'm new to the sims universe. I bought Sims 4 and loved it but unfortunately I ran out of content. So I decided to check out sims 3 and it's even more awesome then 4 so far. But I'm having some lag issues I just can't seem to fix.

My system:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/22/2014, 09:59:43
Machine name: MIKE1
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 546
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 4970MB used, 11410MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_100A&SUBSYS_849E1043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2994 MB
Shared Memory: 1101 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: Acer G235H
Monitor Id: ACR0113
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.4411 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.4411
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/13/2014 18:48:03, 19954520 bytes
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (USB VoIP Device)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: USB\VID_05E1&PID_2010&REV_0100&MI_00
Manufacturer ID: 65535
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: USBAUDIO.sys
Driver Version: 6.01.7601.18208 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 7/12/2013 05:40:58, 109824 bytes
------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 33.8 GB
Total Space: 610.4 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B2 ATA Device

Drive: D:
Model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N ATA Device
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have upgraded my RAM and Video card from the stock setup.

I have all the expansions installed. I get lag when scrolling the screen around, also in clicking on sims to bring up conversation options. When the sims walk around you can see lag in their steps.

I have played around with graphic settings and oddly, they seem to have no effect. I can turn the graphics to max and the lag does not increase or decrease.

I installed the Dasboard to look for conflicts in my game. I found quite a few with downloaded stuff. I deleted the conflicted item's and no longer have any conflicts.

I installed process monitor and found nothing that stood out as bad. The highest read count was 19k

I installed CC Magic and merged all my packs into one except for the mods. I tried this with the mods but the mods stopped working. Even with CC Magic the load times to bring up a save game are very long, beyond five minutes.

I tried deleting all my cache files, several times. Does not seem to have an effect.

I have most of the NRASS mods.

Sims 4 runs smooth as a baby's bottom with the graphics maxed out. I know Sims 3 is more demanding but I have a decent system I think.

Please help.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 3:42 AM
Well, the bad news is, TS3 won't ever play as smooth as the basegame TS4. Still, some of your issues should be fixable.

NRAAS Storyprogression might add to lag. You might want to change some of the settings to slow it down, maybe get rid of some of the extra modules if you have them.

If you have Pets, use NRAAS Register to eliminate strays. They add to lag as well.

I don't have much experience with Process Monitor but 19k seems a bit high.
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...r_.28Windows.29

How much CC do you actually have? Did you use CCMagic for package files as well? Also, it's no good for worlds, lots, and counters. I think the issue with some patterns has been eliminated.
If you have a lot of CC, I think merging everything into one file might not be advisable.

EA worlds are notorious for routing issues which also cause lag due to stuck sims. You didn't say what world you are playing, what expansions you have. Ellacharmed here has made some fixes for the worst offenders.
If you haven't, install Overwatch, it cleans up the mess every sim night caused by stuck toddlers, enormous amounts of taxis and the like.

Loading times depend on how old your save is and how much CC you have. They get bloated. Turning off memories helps. Save Cleaner at http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1532.0 helps too.

I'm not good with CPUs, so I don't know how good it is. Your Graphics Card seems fine but maybe there is some bottle-necking going on? Someone more technically inclined might be able to weigh in on this part.

Welcome to TS3!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Well, the bad news is, TS3 won't ever play as smooth as the basegame TS4. Still, some of your issues should be fixable.

NRAAS Storyprogression might add to lag. You might want to change some of the settings to slow it down, maybe get rid of some of the extra modules if you have them.

If you have Pets, use NRAAS Register to eliminate strays. They add to lag as well.

I don't have much experience with Process Monitor but 19k seems a bit high.
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...r_.28Windows.29

How much CC do you actually have? Did you use CCMagic for package files as well? Also, it's no good for worlds, lots, and counters. I think the issue with some patterns has been eliminated.
If you have a lot of CC, I think merging everything into one file might not be advisable.

EA worlds are notorious for routing issues which also cause lag due to stuck sims. You didn't say what world you are playing, what expansions you have. Ellacharmed here has made some fixes for the worst offenders.
If you haven't, install Overwatch, it cleans up the mess every sim night caused by stuck toddlers, enormous amounts of taxis and the like.

Loading times depend on how old your save is and how much CC you have. They get bloated. Turning off memories helps. Save Cleaner at http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1532.0 helps too.

I'm not good with CPUs, so I don't know how good it is. Your Graphics Card seems fine but maybe there is some bottle-necking going on? Someone more technically inclined might be able to weigh in on this part.

Welcome to TS3!

Sad news to know TS3 will never run as smoothly as TS4.

I have NRASS Register, Progression, Overwatch, Mastercontroller, Mover, Potraitpanel, Traveler, Woohoo and Decensor.

I also have the MODS:
Fun&SUN where sims like water stuff
Chef, adds a chef to service options
Hidden skills are able to be learned
24/7 Maid so now I have two maids a butler and a chef
Maid and butler clean pets
Maid and butler feed pets
More traits available beyond the standard amount up to 8
Serve meals mod where the plates are set at the table for all sims.

Register I will set to remove strays and see if that helps. Progression is set to it's standard settings except for the notifications which are set to just blood and romance.

Below are the files with reads over 5k. I don't recognize them so I'm afraid of just hunting them down and deleting them.

I have deleted everything but the read count and file name to save space.
19,372 C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Default.ini
15,949 C:\Users\jenichka\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves\Clothes.sims3\Bridgeport_0x09ffe3d7.nhd
15,211 C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\FullBuild0.package
10,049 C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay\GameplayData.package
7,806 C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\DeltaBuild0.package
5,987 C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Pets\GameData\Shared\Packages\FullBuild0_p10.package

I downloaded Save Cleaner and it seems to help with loading time, thanks for that.

I have played with two maps. The Bdrigeport map and Sunlit Tides. Both have the same lag as far as I can tell.

I have CC Magic and use it. You mention putting my package files into one. I have done that will all my content except the mods. Should I package certain mods? I tried to package them all at first and they seemed to stop functioning.

Yeah I don't know enough about PC's to know if I have bottle necking going on. I can assume I do because my PC is at least 4 years old but my graphics card and ram are maybe 6 months old I think. A new CPU and mother board are next on my list but the install might be beyond my ability. Can I turn up my graphics card to offset my CPU any?
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 6:48 PM
The first thing you should try is to play without any CC at all. Not all bad cc shows up in the dashboard, so do not trust it completely. It takes only one bad file to cause lag. Also, when it comes to dashboard conflicts... if the items that conflict are from the same creator, then it's okay and normal, nothing to worry about. It's only problem when the conflict is between items of different creators.

About deleting files... never delete anything from the Programs Files (x86) -path. Also, if you delete the .nhd file from your saves folder, your saved game probably won't work anymore.

Unfixed Bridgeport world will lag like hell. There's a fixed version here at the MTS2, in the worlds download section. I don't have Sunlit Tides, so can't say anything about that. My game runs smoothly and practically without any lag, even with over 2000 cc files and large map, so there's something going in your game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
The first thing you should try is to play without any CC at all. Not all bad cc shows up in the dashboard, so do not trust it completely. It takes only one bad file to cause lag. Also, when it comes to dashboard conflicts... if the items that conflict are from the same creator, then it's okay and normal, nothing to worry about. It's only problem when the conflict is between items of different creators.

About deleting files... never delete anything from the Programs Files (x86) -path. Also, if you delete the .nhd file from your saves folder, your saved game probably won't work anymore.

Unfixed Bridgeport world will lag like hell. There's a fixed version here at the MTS2, in the worlds download section. I don't have Sunlit Tides, so can't say anything about that. My game runs smoothly and practically without any lag, even with over 2000 cc files and large map, so there's something going in your game.

I have tried it with no CC and yes it's more smooth but I can still see a fair amount of stutter or lag. How does your system compare to mine, better or worse?

I already deleted any files that were in conflict. I lost Some content but it's a small price to play for a more fluid game.

Thanks for the heads up about Bridgeport. I will download the updated version.
Alchemist
#6 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Acespt4u
I have tried it with no CC and yes it's more smooth but I can still see a fair amount of stutter or lag. How does your system compare to mine, better or worse?

Well, here's my main system specs...

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU 3.40 GHz
64 -bit operating system
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Total memory on C drive: 244GB
Current amount of free memory on C drive: 45,5GB

I have all EP's and all SP's (except Katy Perry). 2019 package files of cc (2,91 GB). Another 3,12 GB through the launcher as sims3packs. Loading a save game (large map, big city, lots of simmies) takes around 3 minutes. Instead of playing with EA made maps, have you tried playing with a small or medium size player made neighborhood? When it comes to routing error lags etc., they are usually superior to EA's worlds. It takes only one unpainted spot(caw) in routing to make the world lag. It is also better not to keep the Sims 3 store setting enabled when playing. Sometimes that causes lag and even random crashing. I also did the LAA and 4 GB patch, even though it shouldn't be necessary anymore. At least it stopped my CAW from crashing all the time.

Also, I found you this: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/1...low-motion.html
And: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/0...nt-freezes.html