Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 2:29 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 7th Feb 2014 at 5:01 PM.
Broken
You were beaten, broken. Your husband hated you and the kids. But finally, finally, you were able to drown him.
Now you must survive on the scraps he left you.

THE CHALLENGE
You must make a small, broke family survive and build their lives back up.

THE SETUP
Create a single mother to a few children (I used one teen, one child, and one toddler)
Move them into a semi-large lot, any lot from the top row will do fine.
Buy them the absolute minimum furniture NEEDED to survive. Meaning:
-One fridge.
-One counter
-One stove/grill (I will check which is less expensive and edit out the other)
-One bed.
-One toilet
IF TODDLER
-One crib

NOTHING ELSE
Then use familyfunds to reduce their funds to a measly $50.
You must then have this family survive and build their lives back up. Considering they have no house and are living in a park you might want to start with that. Have the mom and any teens get jobs, but someone must be home at all times for any toddlers as you cannot afford a nanny!

THE RULES
-NO MONEY CHEATS
-CC is okay so long as it's realistic (for example none of those mood boosters)
-No money trees.
-No ressurecting any sim that dies. Once they're gone, they're gone.

THE GOAL
-Try and get these poor souls the most successful lives you can.
The challenge ends when the youngest child you started with hits adult age. Or you can keep playing longer, but this is the best place to add up your score. If you have uni, you can end it when the youngest hits YA if you like, and you don't need to play the uni kids as part of the challenge if you don't like, so as not to go back and forth.
SCORING
+1 point per promotion
+10 points if you can get the mom remarried
+10 points if mom goes permaplat
+2 points for every room in their house completed (By "completed" I mean walls all around, doors and windows, wallpaper on both sides of walls, flooring, all objects that are typically in that room plus one decorative object)
+30 points if anyone makes it to the top of their career
+5 points for every good birthday
+50 points if you make it above 100,000 simoleans
-5 points for every bad birthday
-50 points if someone dies
-10 points per aspiration failure
-20 points for repoman

I may edit this challenge later, but good luck and have fun!

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 2:42 PM
Looks pretty fun! It's simple and would be a perfect mini challenge in my BaCC.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th May 2012 at 11:02 AM
I am trying this challenge. Well I do not do challenges, but it would make a wicked story! Thanks for the idea!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th May 2012 at 12:44 PM
Wow, this sounds like my life...I'll try that one. One question though...are you allowed to keep the Computer that Mr. Humble brings the family?

~ You can't prove courage without fright ~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th May 2012 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DasRabennest
Wow, this sounds like my life...I'll try that one. One question though...are you allowed to keep the Computer that Mr. Humble brings the family?

The what that who does what now?

=^..^=
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th May 2012 at 4:46 AM
Starting with Freetime and Apartment Life, Ron Humble appears at the door of every sim and gives them a free computer preloaded with SSX3 and Sims3. You cannot talk to him, deflect him, or avoid him. He is as implacable as doom.

You can, however, trap him on your front porch indefinitely if you're quick and working with a front porch which is a routing issue waiting to happen.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th May 2012 at 5:05 AM
Just use move objects and you can delete the computer for nothing.
Inventor
#8 Old 14th May 2012 at 9:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Just use move objects and you can delete the computer for nothing.

While it is still in the box I imagine. P:
Instructor
#9 Old 14th May 2012 at 9:47 AM
You don't even need moveobjects. Just grab the present in b&b mode and delete it for nothing.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 14th May 2012 at 10:35 AM
Lol yes, while still in the box. No move objects-even better.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th May 2012 at 1:13 PM
Will he still appear if they do not have a door? Because they don't have a front door in the beginning of the challenge.

=^..^=
Mad Poster
#12 Old 14th May 2012 at 1:25 PM
I'm pretty sure he appears even if you don't have a house.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#13 Old 24th May 2012 at 7:25 PM
There's a mod out somewhere (I"m thinking over at MATY, Directors Cut) which stops Rod Humble from appearing.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th May 2012 at 7:57 PM
There is indeed a hack to prevent Humble from showing up, called "NoHumble.package" from PMBD, in the director's cut or the ordinary EP packages for each.

He's an annoying, stupid NPC which should never have been made. All he does is give you a computer that advertises the Sims 3.

I mistakenly took the hack out once and when I saw how obnoxious he is (and inappropriate to the medieval era), I quickly replaced it.
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Jun 2012 at 10:41 PM Last edited by fluffy_fan22 : 5th Jun 2012 at 3:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
I may edit this challenge later, but good luck and have fun!

I was just wondering, but, is it alright to end when the youngest ages to Young-Adult rather than Adult? I don't want to skip college, but I also don't want to deal with going back and forth so many times.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fluffy_fan22
I was just wondering, but, is it alright to end when the youngest ages to Young-Adult rather than Adult? I don't want to skip college, but I also don't want to deal with going back and forth so many times.

That'll work too. I'll edit it.

=^..^=
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 5:02 AM
Or you could just delete the computer from Mr. Humble and pretend that he never showed up. If you don't want to put mods and hacks into your game. In my game he only shows up once, drops off the computer and then leaves and I do not have the mods to make him stay away so I am not sure why that is considered annoying. I just delete the computer and be done with it.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 3:15 AM
I am having so much fun with this challenge. : ) Will have to post pictures for you to see soon. : )
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 9:14 PM
Thanks! I'd love to see the pictures.

=^..^=
Field Researcher
#20 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 9:10 AM
Ohhhh, can we make the family including the father and, once moved in, kill off the father (special hack or dump him in a pool without a ladder and wait). That way there's the ghost to deal with as well...

Oh Noes Not Another Blog! - where you can see my awful custom content and horrible attempts at challenges, storytelling and picture taking.
Not much up there right now, this is only the beginning! :D
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 2:56 PM
Nice addition, Ann!

=^..^=
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 2:19 AM Last edited by simsrsexy : 13th Jun 2012 at 2:34 AM.
my game crashed due to icky CC. lost the data but I have fixed the problem and I am starting over. : )
Test Subject
#23 Old 16th Jun 2012 at 2:59 AM
A couple questions:
There needs to be a wall for the toilet, so how does that work?
Can they have a shower or bathtub? Because their hygiene will drain without it.
I thought they needed to have a table and chairs in order to be able to eat their food.
But anyway, thanks for the awesome challenge!!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 16th Jun 2012 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by girl_on_fire
A couple questions:
There needs to be a wall for the toilet, so how does that work?
Can they have a shower or bathtub? Because their hygiene will drain without it.
I thought they needed to have a table and chairs in order to be able to eat their food.
But anyway, thanks for the awesome challenge!!

A couple answers:
You may put in a wall for the toilet.
You are welcome to buy them a shower or bathtub---after you drain their funds and begin the challenge.
Foods are able to be eaten without table and chairs. The sims will eat standing up. Toddlers will take their bottles on the floor.

=^..^=
Test Subject
#25 Old 16th Jun 2012 at 5:35 PM
Thanks! I figured the table and chairs part out a little too late, though.
Page 1 of 3