Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 12:02 PM
Default Where have i gone wrong?
Ive been trying to make an object with a glass pitcher and flowers i have tryed cloning both the SculptureVaseDaffodil and the SculptureAtriumFern but when the object is loaded into the game only the flowers are visable (screen attatched) cant figure out where im going wrong here. Any help will be appreciated.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 12:22 PM
Did you map the glass part? Did you try to change the glass shader at all? Did you assign joints?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 12:24 PM
Did you test your clone in the game before beginning to customise it? I advise everyone to do that for every project, to rule out cloning errors in the tool or base object itself.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#4 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 12:42 PM
That's always an excellent thing to do and one which, I'll admit, I sometimes forget myself.

The sculpturevasedaffodil object though should work...I've cloned it using the 12/13 version of the s3oc/s3pe and current S3ObjTool and it comes up fine in the game after opening it in MS and saving over the MLOD.

I've never used the atrium fern so I know about that one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 12:55 PM
I did map the glass but didnt change the glass shader not really sure how to do that.
Alchemist
#6 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 1:02 PM
Try making it again using the daffodil vase and without mapping the glass part. The glass part has its own group and that group is assigned to a glass shader not the shader your map is for.

Edited to add: and be sure you assign joints to all the groups...even the glass one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 3:03 PM
Thanks for the help the glass is showing up now but the flowers are not.Although they are visable in the thumbnail they dont display in game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 9:03 PM
Sorry to double post but after testing the vase out with no changes made its only displaying the vase but not the flowers so i guess its a cloning issue.
Alchemist
#9 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 12:03 AM
Are you cloning with WA or the base game? I have the base game and the object cloned just fine for me. Since this item. unlike some others. will be essentially the same no matter which game you're cloning with if you really want to use it you could use the base game clone.

If you're in WA and want the clone let me know and I'll post a base game clone for you. If you're in the base game there's no reason this item should have cloning trouble.

If you're in WA and want to try a different object try the sunflower vase. It has two groups with flowers and vase just as the daffodil vase has.
Alchemist
#10 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:12 AM
Sorry for the double post. I just used my WA game to clone the daffodil vase. I brought it into MS and overwrote the original with itself. Did that with both MLOD1 and MODL. Recompiled etc.

Put it into my base game where the object didn't even show up.

Put it into WA where it appeared completely as it should. I really can't say why yours had invisible flowers Amie...mine doesn't in either game although the WA version won't show up even as a selecton in Buy in my base game.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:22 AM
There is a flag for EP's. Did you check to make sure that was set to 0? Also what patch do you have on your base game? You will need at least one patch to be compatible since, I hope I get this right, the game after a patch uses the Deltabuild in addition to Fullbuild. Patches seem to be required for proper custom content to show.
Alchemist
#12 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:47 AM
Well, I'm completely happy with my patch-free base game. All I'm using it for lately is to mesh anyway so it doesn't matter...right?...and that *is* a real question...meshes I make with no patches from clones with this base game should be fine for everyone right? That's what I'm aiming for.

I have no patches in my base game but all the custom content I've made, and almost all that I've downloaded, shows up just fine. I've never downloaded anything that says it requires WA...but then that isn't a real problem...that's exactly how things have been in the Sims all along and I accept that. If you don't have the newest version people who are cloning things in that version are making things you cannot have. I'd rather make things everyone can have regardless of the game version they own.

When you say there is a flag for EP's are you referring to the clone I made using my WA game? This one worked out just fine in my WA game. And that's the question...why am I able to clone this item and have it show up correctly in the respective games when Amie was not able to? My WA version showed up fine in WA...my base game version showed up fine in my base game. (still need to try it in WA but my guess is it'll show up fine there...everything else I've ever cloned has)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:01 PM
I have base game with the latest patch. Finally go it working with the fern object took about five atempts :sigh:
Thanks for the help, im enjoying meshing for the Sims 3 although it feels like everytime i learn something new i hit the next brick wall.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#14 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:25 PM
Yes, OM. Meshes for all would be the ultimate goal.

So what version of S3OC do you clone with? And this is on the same computer as the base game setup with no patches? Do you have a different computer then with WA installed for cloning? And what version of S3OC do you use then? Are these games installed on different computers or just different user accounts on the same computer?

The patch did change something, so for compatibility you have to have one patch to use content if it was made with a game installed and patched. I have no intention of uninstalling my game right now, so my content is going to require a patched game. Not that I am currently making anything worthwhile anyway. But once I reinstall my OS I certainly will look into different user accounts for different game setups.
Alchemist
#15 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 10:17 PM
Yes to which question?...lol.

I have the Dec. 13 version of the cloner and s3pe. I have the ObjTool version just before the latest one. These tools are on the same computer that I have my base game installed on.

I have a different computer with World Adventures on it. I have the same versions of the tools on that one except for the ObjTool. I don't mesh on that computer so when I need to dig things out I get them with the first two tools installed on that second computer and hand them over to my other computer where I decompile them and work with them. To test in World Adventures I toss the finished package back and install it on that second computer. These are two separate computers not just two different user accounts on the same computer Both comps are the same although the base game one has Vista installed and the other comp has Windows.

I can't explain why I've been able to use user-made content in my base game even though I have no patches installed...but I am Apparently though, only as long as it wasn't cloned from a game with World Adventures installed. All clones I've made with that game will not show up in my base game. <shrug>

I've successfully used all user-made content which requires only the base game that I've downloaded with the exception of a single pattern. I can't remember where I got it from but I think the pattern itself was borked...I downloaded several from the same site at the same time and only the one wouldn't show up in my game. I haven't downloaded much since last fall though...maybe the change in patch-status making a difference appeared around then?

Amie if you're using the base game I cannot understand why the flowers didn't show up for you with your daffodil vase clone. They showed up fine for me. Whatever the problem was it isn't because of the tools...or at least not the tools all by themselves.

I know what you mean...every single object in Sims 3 seems to have it's own set of rules...you have to learn how to mesh this game one object at a time.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#16 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 10:55 PM
Um...Yes to whatever makes sense.

Ok, so can I ask you to test my one tile tables in your base with no patches game? And let me know if they show up? It does makes sense that anything cloned with WA won't show in base game. Have you looked at the EP flag in those?
Alchemist
#17 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 1:01 AM
Well, the question I most wanted the answer to is this one:

"meshes I make with no patches from clones with this base game should be fine for everyone right? "

I tried your tables in my patch-free game and they don't show up. The last thing you posted which I put in my game was a set of very nice windows. Those showed up...

I think I downloaded those last fall during one of the last shopping sprees I went on. After that I pretty much got absorbed in meshing to the exclusion of playing so I stopped downloading. It would seem that sometime between then and now the patches started screwing with custom content since the tables you cloned are base game tables and I should be able to see them in my game. EA sux pretty much...and not in the good way.

If I ever get the urge to decorate I guess I'll have to get a patched base version going or use WA. But for meshing I prefer to use no patches if using them makes my stuff not downloadable for people who aren't keeping up with EA's incessant boat-bailing.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#18 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 1:20 AM
If your using the S3OC that was fixed for no blue lotting, and your game is unpatched, then everything should work for all users just fine. I think. Pretty sure.

And I did put the patch I had installed in my table thread because I figured it was important. And it turns out that it is. From what I understand the patches are now looking at an additional file for the game, which is why content cloned from a patched game don't show.

I'm not sure I will ever fix those table, because I can't imagine not having the 1.7 patch. It's stable. It gave me recolorable stairs/fences - which reduces the amount of cc tremendously! And basements. I do not want to make two of stuff. Which is why I have put off my Rabbit holes project also.
Alchemist
#19 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 10:45 AM
Thank you for the answer...that's reassuring

I wouldn't describe your little tables as being in need of fixed...probably it's the case that most people who use custom content have the most recent patch and your tables show up just fine for them. It's me that needs to patch my game I suppose.

"From what I understand the patches are now looking at an additional file for the game, which is why content cloned from a patched game don't show..."

In my more cynical moments I start wondering if this kind of move on EA's part was really necessary and if it wasn't, after all, just a way of fracturing the community into smaller pieces to make yet another obstacle to ease of use of user-made content.

Ever since it became clear that for EA Sims 3 was gonna to be about having their own mega-paysite I've tended to wonder if behind closed doors they don't have a sort of adversarial motive behind a lot of what they're doing with the game. But I guess I'm just suspicious by nature...heh.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#20 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 12:43 PM
On the whole I am an advocate of everyone keeping the game patched up to date, rather than creators having to maintain non-patch versions of everything. I am afraid creators will soon get burnt out like that and it will end up being a nett loss to simmers. For each problem introduced by a patch, it usually turns out that some CC or a tool was broken in some way and the patch just showed it up. A lot of people who reinstalled patchless only had to wait for the tools and CC to be fixed, and play a temp hood unmodded while they waited.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)