Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#376 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 1:52 AM
After figuring out that my game crashes whenever it tries to load a lot with a skate rink on it, my twins changed their party plans to be at a bowling alley instead of a roller rink.

The bonus points weekend is almost over; post up spreads people! You can post either the First Day of School spread or Birthday Party to earn your points.

In a week from today I'll be announcing the final round, it's been fun everyone! Remember, you can still post up the mini-themes from old rounds if you want more practice.
Advertisement
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#377 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 4:49 AM Last edited by porkypine : 2nd Jul 2012 at 6:27 PM.
Ok. I just uploaded my school pages.

Whoops! I forgot the binding shadow. Oh well. Reupload the school pics. They don't count anyway.

I guess judge the birthday.

edit Monday July 2, 2012:
Well, that was weird, there were 4 duplicates of the school spread posted. I removed the extras. I guess IE uploader is buggy?
Field Researcher
#378 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 5:12 AM
I should have been able to post up totally finished pages about half hour ago, but my comp has had other ideas tonight - the highlight was as I was trying to save the original psp files before saving as jpegs and making the joined spread - the frellin' thing crashed! So, I've attached the pages as were before that attempted save because there was no chance of redoing what I had lost quick enough
Hoping you might take pity and knock one of the minus points off my score...I need sleep. And a new computer - but that will have to wait for a long time.

Test Subject
#379 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 6:29 AM
I'm sorry you have computer problems Croutonian. Your spreads are very nice. You've won two rounds and you are ahead so you will probably win.

I've posted my school spread. I tried to do something different and not fluff it up so much. Please judge the birthday. I like that one better.
Scholar
#380 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
After figuring out that my game crashes whenever it tries to load a lot with a skate rink on it, my twins changed their party plans to be at a bowling alley instead of a roller rink.
I'm a mite miffed - I'm sorry to hear that your game kept crashing for your Plan A, but your Plan B was my Plan A for a party! I know I can still do it, but it almost feels wrong now...

My spreads ARE on their way (I've been up all night - yes, literally!), but will probably put them up together now that the bonus weekend is over! I was hoping to have the school spread finished but am still not 100% happy with the binding shadow.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#381 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 5:27 PM
Croutonian, you still have a week, you can take what you have and keep working in it. It looks like it would be hard to go back and add drop shadows to what you have, but you can keep adding other things on top. To do a drop shadow now, create a white square the same size as your photo, place it on top, add the drop shadow to that, then set the white square to 'Multiply'. It will turn the white square invisible, while leaving the shadow.

Selly, I'm sorry I took your idea! That's why I've been trying to post right when I announce the new round, so mine is in before people start making plans. As long as you don't do the same color scheme I picked and you don't use the one bowling sticker I used, it's totally fine - and original. I actually wanted to do bowling first, but then thought about doing their party at a joint bowling alley / roller rink sorta place, but those were crashing because of the roller rinks.

I'm not worried about the crashy game right now. I'm in the process of building a new supercomputer with my dad as my college graduation present. It's been seven years since I had a desktop machine. No more simming on a laptop for me! The impending reinstall will take care of all those issues, and I plan on weeding my CC before I transfer it all anyways. I'm glad my sims don't mind moving, this will be their 4th computer to be on. I'd die without my save game files!
Scholar
#382 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 7:37 PM
Phae, no hard feelings, there's no way you could've known what I'd got planned. I thought of a pool party to start with, but switched to bowling very early on as I couldn't get any pool decorations I liked - all the links were invalid . It's unlikely I'll have the same colour scheme (yours look great btw) as I'm planning to go lighter on the background; my last pages' backdrops have been on the darker side and jazzed up with bright elements/photo borders...

And yay for new computers! Sounds like an awesome graduation present; I'm sure your sims will love being on the big workhorse when it's finished (4 machines in total, wow! My TS2 sims have only ever been on the one I'm using now, though once I've got all my CC sorted I'm planning to put them on my new laptop; my TS1 sims had to move back in 2007 after Dad discovered they were taking up a quarter of the hard drive space). Having a decent computer for those precious Sims files is essential!

Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#383 Old 3rd Jul 2012 at 10:05 PM Last edited by porkypine : 7th Jul 2012 at 8:13 PM.
lol Croutonian! LOVE your vacation uh... Holiday woes! Poor thing.

Well DARN! This html editor won't let me use strikeout! (Thanks Phae!)

I think it's called 'vacation' because you are supposed to vacate your normal premises?? Just a guess.. ok. You made me look up the etymology. (You should KNOW that Americans don't speak english. ) http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=vacation

vacation (n.) late 14c., "freedom from obligations, leisure, release" (from some activity or occupation), from O.Fr. vacation, from L. vacationem (nom. vacatio) "leisure, a being free from duty," noun of state from pp. stem of vacare "be empty, free, or at leisure" (see vain). Meanings "state of being unoccupied; process of vacating" are early 15c. Meaning "formal suspension of activity" (in reference to schools, courts, etc.) is recorded from mid-15c. As the U.S. equivalent of what in Britain is called a holiday, it is attested from 1878.

The origin of Holiday implies something Holy, and getting burned up on a beach ain't holy. It's rather devilish. lol

holiday 1500s, earlier haliday (c.1200), from O.E. haligdæg "holy day; Sabbath," from halig "holy" (see holy) + dæg "day" (see day); in 14c. meaning both "religious festival" and "day of recreation," but pronunciation and sense diverged 16c. As a verb meaning "to pass the holidays" by 1869.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#384 Old 4th Jul 2012 at 6:51 PM
Wouldn't you know, I was working on setting up my party Friday evening, when we darn near got blown away and lost power. Just got it back last night. If it's not one thing it's another keeping me fro bonus points. I'm sure it wont be in today, maybe not even tomorrow, but shouldn't be late. I was planning a bowling party too, lol. Will probably still do it, since I just don't feel like messing with something else. Been a LONG week already.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#385 Old 7th Jul 2012 at 5:36 PM
porky, to use strikeout, its the letter s not del. deleted

sorry to hear of your troubles jones, I'm sure you'll get them posted on time though.

I have a new computer now!!! It's tots sweet. However, I managed to leave all my software disks at my parents house (where I was building it) so I can't install sims on it just yet. New computer is sitting in a box behind me. I wanted to finish out our contest on my lappy anyways. Something about horses and midstream. For those of you in the know, it's got a solid state drive so it's super fast, and that silly little Windows 7 rate my computer thing, is all in the 7s (goes from 1.0 to 7.9). I have 7.1s for my graphics and 7.7s and 7.8s for speed. This will be awesome. Lappy has 5.2 (speed) to 6.7 (graphics). I'm moving out into the superfast lane!

I'll be spending some of today and most of tomorrow making spreads for both themes for next round. I likely won't be late, so don't bank on it! :D
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#386 Old 7th Jul 2012 at 11:40 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 9th Jul 2012 at 1:36 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
sorry to hear of your troubles jones, I'm sure you'll get them posted on time though.

Yes, although I've gotten a bit side tracked last night and today...I had the sudden urge to play Medieval, so I have to make myself go back to 2, lol.

Alright...my pages are up...finally. And not late
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#387 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 4:03 PM
So... a prom/after party? and graduation? ok.... I can guess something up from the movies. We didn't have a prom at our school. lol
Field Researcher
#388 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 6:47 PM
I am going to take one more attempt at birthday pages this evening, and if it doesn't work out then I'm going to pull out - I really can't take fighting with my computer like I've had to this past fortnight...it hates doing what this contest requires, over the past 3 or 4 weeks it has even started protesting against recognising the sims disc! Have gotten far too close to chucking the thing out the window...

Scholar
#389 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 6:51 PM
At long last, my Round 4 pages are up - both spreads this time out. I can handle losing a point for being late; trying to get decent photos of the party was a nightmare! I'm just grateful that Paint Shop Pro behaved itself...

Now, let's see what I can put together for prom/graduation, especially as I never had a graduation ceremony: my secondary school simply had a GCSE Certificate Evening sort of thing, Sixth Form had nowt at all (I got my A-Level certificates by post) and I failed Uni in my second year...

retired moderator
Original Poster
#390 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 7:45 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 10th Jul 2012 at 3:05 AM.
Its not really fair to ask you to make pages for something you've never seen, that's why I've been doing example pages. Anyone who hasn't gotten their pages up can still do so before me and they won't be late. If you need to fix stuff you've pretty much got all day to do it. I got side tracked and set up my new computer and then spent way too long at the Prom myself. And I still have to get you all those grad outfits. This round might actually get pushed out a few days because of it all. Can't give you all less than 2 weeks to work!

Edit: I don't know what it is about my game, just keeps crashing, mostly in the same places. After replaying the same 2 days 4 times in a row, I just gave up for today on getting Graduation pictures. Instead, I've finished off my Prom spread for you all.
Field Researcher
#391 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 8:10 PM
My birthday pages are up - comp and Paint Shop behaved rather nicely for the most part...until PSP froze and refused to unfreeze or even admit to being like that so I could close it easily lol was just after I'd saved though so thankfully hadn't lost any progress this time - woulda been up about 12 hours ago if it hadn't been for that (I went to sleep for just over half that time to see if it'd sort itself )

Compression to get the file size small enough is still an issue though, and I highly doubt it can be solved.

Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#392 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 11:08 PM Last edited by porkypine : 13th Jul 2012 at 12:37 AM.
You better not quit Croutonian - not so close to the finish line! You've already won 2 rounds. :0) (You may want to yank CC you aren't using and clear the cache.)

added July 11: GAAA! Trying to get these teenagers to perform the prom doings is a royal pain! They keep moving away or they lose their outfits when they travel. I had to use cheats to summon them and get they fancy duds back on and the game kept crashing. lol. I've learned to get rid of cheat tools after I use them before calling the next cheat. Anyway. It took far longer than it should have to set the prom up. I hope the college grads aren't as much a pain.

added July 12: I don't think I'll have time to get these triplets through college unless I can find a graduation cheat.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#393 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 1:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
added July 12: I don't think I'll have time to get these triplets through college unless I can find a graduation cheat.

I think Phae said she may bump up the deadline since she hasn't gotten a graduation page up yet.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#394 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 2:26 AM
For those of you struggling to get the dang sims to stay in the right place, you might want to have a look at treeag's sim freeze clock. Very handy!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#395 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 3:26 AM
Since it's Thursday and I've just finished getting my Grad photos taken, I'll be extending the final deadline another half week. The new deadline for the entire contest is Midnight between Thursday July 26 and Friday July 27.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#396 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 3:47 AM
So is the bonus still this weekend, or next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#397 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 5:01 AM
ummmm, how about bonuses run from Friday till all of Tuesday? That's five bonus days. +1 for Friday and Tuesday, +2 for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Either Prom or Graduation spreads are eligible for bonus points.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#398 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 2:07 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 13th Jul 2012 at 6:33 PM.
That sounds reasonable. I still may not get them, lol, but I was just wondering, just in case.

EDIT: So is there anywhere to get caps and gowns?
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#399 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 5:48 PM
That's kewl! I have the prom ones but have been vacillating on trying to get the college grad considering I don't have enough free time to get them through college to graduation...
retired moderator
Original Poster
#400 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 7:39 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 14th Jul 2012 at 9:27 PM.
Oh right! Here are the caps and gowns I made. Sorry I didn't have time to do all the nice things you are supposed to like removing unwanted ages, binning, or familify, or even checking if their eye brows are correct. I'll do a proper post of them after my creator anniversary. Luckily though, for picture taking, they are still perfect. I wanted to do a few more hair styles underneath the girl's hat, but I didn't get to it and it kept breaking, so the only hairstyle is the one that my teen girl has been sporting, that shortcute cut thing. I was trying to add the longstraight one, but no luck.

Edit: Whoops! Porky caught my mistake. I missed the tf outfit recolor, it should be fixed now!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Phaenoh_TeenGradWear.rar (3.53 MB, 15 downloads) - View custom content

Page 16 of 19