Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 11:32 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I can't install SIMS2PACK files? I follow instructions but they lied?
Okay, so I double-click SIMS2PACK files to install them like instructions say. Guess what. They lied. Double-clicking doesn't work! 'Cause when I double-click a SIMS2PACK file after moving it to my Downloads folder, a box pops up saying 'Windows can't open this file'. So basically, those who posted the instructions lied. Can somebody tell me the REAL way to install SIMS2PACK files? I downloaded a hospital from this site for my game and I really want it but I can't install it!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 11:36 PM
The instructions say double click the file because the game is supposed to have it's own program for installing S2P files. However, it sucks. So probably for the best that it doesn't work. Download and install Clean Installer and try again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 12:17 AM
I'm trapped by the stupid idea of Parental Controls so I showed my mom and thinks it's a virus
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 12:34 AM
What, Clean Installer? Posted by Mootilda? Here?

It's not a virus.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 7:16 PM
This thread was incredibly helpful for me to sort my own issues with the same packages, but it also made me go

Hi, I'm Camilla, and I'm a Sims 2 addict!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 9:27 PM
I know it's not a virus, but my mom thinks everything is.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 11:38 PM
Well, if the game's sims2pack installer isn't working, and you can't convince your mother that Clean Installer (which, I might add, is probably a hell of a lot safer to download than the sims2packs themselves!) is not a virus, then you're out of luck. As far as I know, they are the only things that will install sims2pack files.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 12:01 AM
Instead of viewing everyone as being out to get you (zomg, the person who posted directions lied to me! *dramatic wrist on forehead pose) and thinking of parental restrictions as "stupid", you could consider taking a mature approach to the situation and having a calm, logical discussion with your mom about what the problem is, and why the proposed solution (using the Clean Installer) is a good one.

Do a search on the Clean Installer, find out what people say about it, see if you can find any negative references to it, and relate your findings to you mom during the discussion, and be prepared to SHOW her what you found, if she wants to see evidence for herself. As a parent, she's likely to be far more impressed with that than with your blind resistance to her concerns.
Site Helper
#9 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 12:11 AM
I also recommend the Clean Installer, but if you aren't allowed to download it, then you'll have to use the package installer that came with the game. You can re-associate Sims2Packs with the package installer that comes with the game.

First, find the PackageInstaller.exe which is associated with your latest EP (or SP if the SP has a later game engine). Note the full path.

Then, right click on a Sims2Pack in Windows Explorer and choose Properties. You will have the option to choose which program to open the Sims2Pack with. Specify the full path for the latest PackageInstaller.exe on your system.

From now on, when you double click on a Sims2Pack, the package installer should run.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I also recommend the Clean Installer, but if you aren't allowed to download it, then you'll have to use the package installer that came with the game. You can re-associate Sims2Packs with the package installer that comes with the game.

First, find the PackageInstaller.exe which is associated with your latest EP (or SP if the SP has a later game engine). Note the full path.

Then, right click on a Sims2Pack in Windows Explorer and choose Properties. You will have the option to choose which program to open the Sims2Pack with. Specify the full path for the latest PackageInstaller.exe on your system.

From now on, when you double click on a Sims2Pack, the package installer should run.

I found it! Hopefully my Mom will let me install it since it actually came with the game!
Site Helper
#11 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 9:28 PM
There's no need to install the package installer. It was installed when you installed the game. So, it's already on your computer.

I'm guessing that the file association was lost somehow. All you need to do is to re-associate the package installer with Sims2Packs. In other words, you just need to tell Windows where to find the program.
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 2:22 AM
Oh, this helped me out so much!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 3:04 AM
@brelyn18 I hope you downloaded Clean Installer and are NOT using the installer that came with the game. It's a pile of junk and while it will install things it will also change your files into strings of gobbledygook and tip everything haphazardly into your download folder, including things you might not want.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 9:31 AM
To be fair, Clean Installer also tips everything into your Downloads folder - you need to know what you do and do not want to be able to use it like that.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 10:42 AM
Well yes, you do have to uptick things you don't want.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 3:27 AM
The message saying Windows can't open the file gives you two options: Search for a solution on the web, or open it with another program (usually happens when you reinstall and Windows tries to open it with the old package installer that isn't there anymore). Clic on open with another program, then they give you options to choose, there must be The Sims 2 Package Installer, clic it. If it's not there, clic on search for a program (on the options) and go to C: Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2/*Latest Expansion Pack name*/CSBin/The Sims 2 Package Installer (or wherever your game is located).

:)
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Sep 2015 at 6:41 AM Last edited by [email protected] : 22nd Sep 2015 at 6:51 AM.
Oke I found this thread in my search for answers.
I can't make the default package installer work properly, whenever I try to unpack a file, it tells me to doubbleclick it. I do so and it continues to tell me to doubble click. I found the Clean Installer and thought "yay finally!", but ney. At first I had installed an old version, fair enough, I removed it when I found the new version, but now it just tells me that I should unstall the old version. Wich I have. It doesn't exist on my computer anymore. But I still get the message that I should uninstall the old version, that I no longer have. I really hope someone can give me an answer, so I don't feel like a complete moron for spending hours downloading content, that I cannot install.

Please note that, I have previously NEVER ever ever, had problems installing packs. I have always used the default version with no problems whatsoever. I use the Ultimate Collection Origin handed out to their users last year and my computer runs on Windows 10. I really sincerely hope someone can help me.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 22nd Sep 2015 at 7:11 AM
When you uninstalled the old version, did you actually do it from the control panel?