Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2010 at 12:32 AM
Default Wanting to make a medieval neighborhood
Okay, I've been chomping at the bit to try making a medieval neighborhood, since I find that era fascinating.

I'd like some advice before I get started. What custom content do people here recommend, what downloads, and what mods? Now that I finally got that extra GB of memory installed (I'm running Vista aka The Memory Hog), I'm ready to give it a try.

I do know how to download and install custom content, and how to enable it. But I'm a complete n00b when it comes to things like meshes.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd May 2010 at 1:52 AM
I've got a dedicated game for Medieval going right now.

Things you should get for the game to make it authentic:

Replacement vehicles-so the vehicles that are used for school and work are more authentic
Replacement NPC's-you can have the maid, nanny and other NPC's coming in to do their work with authentic looking costumes. You can also have Tavern maids, bartenders and even the cook dress authentically.
Replacement default terrain-so the game can have dirt or other type roads.
Medieval Clothing-you don't want to see modern dress back in the 14th century!
Authentic walls and floors-people didn't have Formica back then.

You should just search under the term Medieval on this site and others-there's literally tons of things you can put into the game to make it look medieval-I've spent the better part of a year assembling my downloads for the hood, and have now just gotten it "perfect".

Also, you might try the Sims Wiki (link at top of page) to search the "custom content" area. It has lots of links for you to check out.
It might take some time to put everything together, but I feel if you want to do something special, it's worth the effort!

The newer mods that came from the "Medieval Challenge" are great-and those creators should be very proud of themselves!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd May 2010 at 8:03 AM
Do I have to totally clear a custom neighborhood of its townies or anything?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd May 2010 at 10:08 AM
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th May 2010 at 8:43 PM
I'm still a bit unclear as to what a mesh is. Is that like a template? (Like I said, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to that.)
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 4th May 2010 at 8:59 PM
Not really. Think of it as a skeleton. Without your skeleton, there would be nothing for you to put clothes on. It's the same with meshes. Without a mesh a recolor will not show up, so make sure you download any meshes that a creator says are needed. Hope I helped!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th May 2010 at 2:43 AM
Thanks, Exxy, that's kind of what I was thinking.

Well, I'm going to go hunt for the custom stuff. Downloading the stuff, that's a snap, I even know to put a Downloads folder in my Double Deluxe folder.
Inventor
#8 Old 12th May 2010 at 7:46 AM Last edited by anothereyjana : 12th May 2010 at 7:49 AM. Reason: left something out
Another good place to look for Medieval content is Garden of Shadows, they have lots of items there, including defaults and replacements, some for even small things that you wouldn't even have realised at first would be out-of-place in that time period (the little stools the kids stand on to reach things, mops, various bags, etc.). One realy good thread to hunt through is the "default revamp" one, which is in "Quick! Into the Tardis!", under "Pixelated" (that will hopefully make more sense when you see the layout).

Also, for more info on the meshes and stuff, definately check the help and tutorial sections here. They really helped me when I first started, and will fill you in on a lot of terms that most people in the sims community use.
Test Subject
#9 Old 12th May 2010 at 9:03 PM
Hi,

Quote:
Do I have to totally clear a custom neighborhood of its townies or anything?

Yep, unless you don't want a bunch of ugly, modern-ish looking visitors stumbling across your castle lot. As far as I know, medieval replacements (I strongly recommend the ones by Sunni) are only available for NPCs that fulfill a special task like housekeeping or mail delivery, not for ordinary maxis clothes. An excellent tutorial on getting rid of NPCs is to be found on More Awesome Than You here.
For lovely medieval coiffures, take a look at Bipsouille's homepage. Clothing by zoej and Iamliz13 are a must for all medieval-sims-freaks, too

Phew. I could give you a lot more download links as I used to play a Middle Age TS2 some while ago, too, but somehow I'm too tired/lazy to list them now. Sorry. If you need any help, feel free to pm me, though. Good luck with your project, hope you have fun!