Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#451 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 9:59 PM
It seems silly to have burglar alarms in cheap units. What's there to steal anyway? I rarely use them and only then in richer househoulds. I hope I didn't get points off for not using them or for my trash chutes being on the outside.
Most of the other comments can be explained by the budget restriction (empty walls, corridor to nowhere, etc). I can't tell you how many times that I made changes, removals, etc, to get the units under budget, which involved creating a copy, changing zoning and moving a Sim in. I was, in all honesty, fed up by the time I was done (and forgot the pathway lighting).
Lots of apartment complexes have no common area and I figured cheap ones would not anyway.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#452 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
No. My second round had no burglar alarms at all, as I mentioned in the description. It's just that all the apartments in my complex this round have a burglar alarm - except one! That's the sort of lack of attention to detail that costs points with most judges.

It's definitely not due to lack of attention to detail, I just don't use them. But then, I also don't have such a thing in my house IRL either. It just comes down to play style I think, but I don't think judging on that is fair. But, I choose cell phones in my game over the other phones, and the judges every round comment (and maybe deduct points) for not seeing phones in the apartments. I don't have a landline phone IRL either, just a cellphone. I understand lack of trash bins, which I have btw, you just can't see them.
Forum Resident
#453 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:52 PM
thank you judges! I wont defend me granny housing hahaha i have been looking to make a home for the aged and my round 2 lot may be a good fit!

just gonna add elevators and other granny things lmao

edit: imma keep those trashcompactors in mind for my next builds. or at least some trash bins.
yer right. I would be annoyed to go out to throw my mcdonalds take out every single time!
Test Subject
#454 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 2:13 AM
Yeah, on the burglar alarms, I just want to mention that I also purposely didn't put them in this last round because it just didn't make any sense to me. I've never lived in a house or apartment with them in real life and it definitely seems like something only very wealthy people tend to have. I didn't see any mention of the lack of burglar alarms in my reviews though so I'm not sure if I didn't get points off and others did or if I did get points off and it just wasn't mentioned? I feel like either way it really didn't make much sense to have them in cheap apartments. I dunno, opinions vary of course, but if they are required it would be nice to have that confirmed. Obviously thank you CatherineTCJD for already saying what you consider required, it's much appreciated
Mad Poster
#455 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 3:54 AM
Really, the way burglars work in TS2 is unrealistic. They shouldn't sneak in at night when you're at home, they should come during the day while you're at work.
Forum Resident
#456 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 4:27 AM
Sometimes I really dislike play-testing, but this time I just want to kick myself for things I've been finding that I should have caught earlier. I had one unit without lights. One bathroom had bright green carpet, left from when I was planning the layouts and was using different carpets for each apartment. One hall lacked wall coverings. One bathroom had routing problems. Oddest looking mistake was the apartment with the painting hovering in mid-air over the couch - I'd been using cheats to layer artwork and I didn't notice the extra copy that I'd placed.
Forum Resident
#457 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 7:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Really, the way burglars work in TS2 is unrealistic. They shouldn't sneak in at night when you're at home, they should come during the day while you're at work.

but there will be witnesses!!!
unless you live in a quiet subburb where daylight means making your street a ghost town hahaha the town house I lived in melbourne had a motion sensor burglar alarm which baffles me really---how does it differentiate between me and the bad guy???? how does it even work???? does it go wooooooooo when it sensed a black and white striped sweater and a ski mask like the sims?
Alchemist
#458 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 1:38 PM
Just dropping in to say thanks to the judges, etc. Judge 2, I did have community bathrooms next to the bbq area, behind the stairs. It's visible in the required pics floor plan shot. Not sure if I lost points for it, but I did want to mention that I included it, especially since that was an edit/comment on my last round.

Speaking of required pics, I didn't realize I went over! @gummilutt, do you know if I had pictures that weren't really required, or if I just went over with my unit pictures? To confirm, it's 32 plus the front, back, ground floor of the entire lot, then a floor plan of each floor in every structure? And then, rent?

So for me, with 5 buildings that would have been, 3 with 3 floors and 2 with 2 floors, that would be... 32 + 16 = 48 pictures plus rent? Or is my math off somewhere?

About the burglar thing, though, I don't always build with them, and more often than not leave out all alarms for a little random risk, but if I'm going to the trouble of putting alarms everywhere, I just include them for completeness, I guess.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#459 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 2:54 PM Last edited by Karen Lorraine : 1st Aug 2018 at 10:45 PM.
A bit late to the party but I was on holiday and then went straight into two long days of a new job! I finally have time to sit at my computer and read the judges comments properly. Thank you very much for the lovely comments, I am pleased that you mostly liked my build I am annoyed with myself for missing the whole lot image as well.

Quote:
Judge 3: I adore the lot! I want to live there myself! Looks like luxury but it still is cheap.
One question tho, why is there a hole in the top roof? Is it for the sun to shine to the balcony?
Also loved that you used different wallpaper combinations inside rooms, makes them look more ”decorated”.
There is a hole in the top roof because the inspiration image I used had one and I liked it so built it in to mine

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#460 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 3:39 PM
You guys have inspired me... I've been working on a SUD Housing Project for BDC (BellaDonna Cove) and I've learned it is near impossible to get the rent under $1000 if you use the AL Spiral stairs! I'm trying to make the units at least 8X6 w/a loft - and the only way I can get the rent down is if I use Marvine's ladder (like so many of ya'll did) the space is too small for a straight staircase, and if I put in the spiral stairs the rent shoots up to $1300! Yikes!

I know if I made it all one level, I could do it much cheaper. But, I want a loft, daggity-nabbit!

I think I've got it sorted now - 4 units with 2 single beds in a shared room (like in a twin's room or a dorm) fully decked out, with the rent at $945 for each unit. Whew! That was a challenge All this to say - You guys ROCK

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#461 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
the town house I lived in melbourne had a motion sensor burglar alarm which baffles me really---how does it differentiate between me and the bad guy???? how does it even work???? does it go wooooooooo when it sensed a black and white striped sweater and a ski mask like the sims?

You turn the motion sensor on when you leave, so it knows any movement it detects is not you. If you want the sensor to be active at night, or if you have pets in the house, the installers need to take care where they put the sensors so they don't generate false alarms from you going to the bathroom in the middle of the night or your cats deciding to play "the floor is lava."

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#462 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You turn the motion sensor on when you leave, so it knows any movement it detects is not you. If you want the sensor to be active at night, or if you have pets in the house, the installers need to take care where they put the sensors so they don't generate false alarms from you going to the bathroom in the middle of the night or your cats deciding to play "the floor is lava."

that's good to know ^^ no wonder they didnt put any bathroom doors in the hall! our bathroom was a jack and jill type that went from my room to my mom's. It's just us and she's mighty protective so it's all cool.
--but what if the motion sensors are on and I wanted a midnight snack???-- dagnabit!

--anyways I unknowingly made my round 4 entry by making a dorm with 4 units and had a common area that had access to upstairs. There's room for 2 more units up and I'm---I just switched the doors! Hahaha
the problem is I decorated the thing with CC cos it was for personal use. guess I gotta make a no-cc version lmao
Top Secret Researcher
#463 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 4:55 AM Last edited by yavannatw : 3rd Aug 2018 at 6:37 AM.
Default Round three: roomie mania
I had a vision of a view of birch trees from a common area and built around that idea. Haha - it wasn't so easy for some reason. Anyway here is my two-storeyed, six unit apartment block. All units include phones (two phones in the two-level units), trash chutes on the inside, and smoke/fire alarms. I have not included burglar alarms as I only include those for rich Sims.

Required pics

Now inside the units, starting with unit 1, which covers two levels.

Unit 2

Unit 3

Unit 4

Unit 5

Unit 6

It was very difficult to narrow the pics down to 4 per unit!

Now for the extra eight pics which includes the common area.
Forum Resident
#464 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 12:15 PM
updated my round 3 entry uvu it's ready to go on the judges' table
hope you like it~ it is the only entry I really thought about as I have a personal attachment to the sims who will live there.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#465 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 7:18 PM
@yavannatw
Quote:
Additional shots
You may add an additional 8 shots of the structure (what part you show is up to you), and an additional 6 for each unit up to a maximum of 24 pictures. So 32 + required screenshots is the most you could have.
Note: Picture limits were raised for round 2 and on. Numbers listed above are the round 2 and onward limits.
So you can have 6 pictures per unit

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Field Researcher
#466 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 9:17 PM
Default Round 3: Roomie-Mania

This building has five apartments: one suitable for two people; one for two people or a couple and a singleton; one for three people/couples; one for four people; and the last for two adults not in a relationship, a child and a toddler.

All apartments have phones, smoke alarms and either a bin, trash compactor or trash chute, and I've pointed out their locations in the picture descriptions. There is also a burglar alarm in the communal entrance, and a smoke alarm out by the grill.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Top Secret Researcher
#467 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
@yavannatw
So you can have 6 pictures per unit

But it says maximum of 24 - 6x4=24.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#468 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
But it says maximum of 24 - 6x4=24.
To be honest I don't think that's very clear. You can have a maximum of 32 screenshots.

Top Secret Researcher
#469 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
To be honest I don't think that's very clear. You can have a maximum of 32 screenshots.

So 24 plus the 8 structure ones is 32.
Space Pony
#470 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 1:59 AM
Gummi has sent me day before yesterday over Skype that her computer is broken! Unfornatelly I was not able to log on my Skype untill now, so this announcement comes tid late, sorry.

She hopes she can have her computer fixed till the deadline, so, for now, no extensions for this round. We will see IF she gets her computer to work by then, if not she will see if she is going to exted the judging and the round4.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Space Pony
#471 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 2:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
So 24 plus the 8 structure ones is 32.

Yes you are correct.

I assume gummi had in mind that only 4 units are mandatory as you can only have 4 families in an apartment building. Otherwise if you have like 11 units and take 6 pics of all plus 8 PLUS reguired you would end up to near 100 pics :D

6 pics per unit, maximum 24 + 8 optional structure/or unit =32 . Naturally plus the reguired pics.

At least this is how I understood it. I can be wrong and heavily indeed :D

And as you have 6 units you had only 4 per unit.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#472 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 6:23 PM
Playtesting and screenshot taking are in progress!

Top Secret Researcher
#473 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 7:48 PM
First of all, I am quite sorry for the absentee judging, ugh. Life right now... is easing up its grip on my neck, but that aside I'm going to try and leave some comments on things I have seen mentioned. Please do hail me if I am missing something!

Trash cans, I do love having one in every apartment - no matter where the trash chute is located. Something about walking every frozen dinner to the outside trash bugs me.
Burglar alarms, in poorer housing no of course I wouldn't expect to see them. Some apartments look very nice from the outside, so I would just assume they would be protected, and on the flip of that who can afford to replace items if you're already poor. (I suppose when I check for the alarms, I check for both smoke and burglar, especially if the housing is nice.)
Smoke/fire alarm or at least a sprinkler seem almost mandatory.
Going forward, I will just skip looking for the burglar alarms, as it probably does come down to play style and it seems like a divided topic.

Charmful, I am very happy to hear your flowers from round one had no wilting despite not being able to reach them. That is good information for me to have!

HugeLunatic, I understand the cell phone issue, but honestly hardly any of my Sims have them. Eeep! So having them in an apartment when you're starting out saves some money.

PhantomKnight, I'll look over your score notes on my end and edit that with Gummi - I'm sure I did deduct a half point and yes, they are there. Thank you for pointing them out!

Please know that while I am VERY green at judging and having a seasoned keen eye, I appreciate the comments you all leave and will be more active for the next rounds so I'm more visible. Everyone is doing so well, and I am so impressed at the different buildings being presented. Well done, all of you. You're inspiring me to build again myself (which may or may not be good, haha). Thank you all for your patience with me.
Mad Poster
#474 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 8:27 PM
I'm pretty sure if there's no landline in an apartment, the townie living there can't be called. But I could be wrong. I often am.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#475 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 9:45 PM
Round 3: Roommates - Barracks for military sims

This building is based on several military barracks I've either lived in or had family living in, with the colours and materials used on the floors and walls influenced by those and by other military buildings I've been in throughout my life. The common spaces are also ones I've seen within the same buildings as quarters. One common space I left out was an eating mess/dining hall; every unit has a kitchen, and the sims can use them. I did include the club/recreational areas of a mess, with a formal section based on an officer's mess I remember visiting and one all-ranks game area. There are also some training spaces.

With the sims, you may or may not get roommates in the military career track, but there are plenty of occupations in the military and several maxis careers can be interpreted in such a way that they could indicate military employment. I have no problem with the idea pretending they are military sims or using cheats, mods, or SimPE to give them a new career.

Each unit is appropriate for different purposes (short term housing while on course, long term course housing, or long term postings) and for different ranks (length of stay tends to be more determinate of housing than rank, but officers usually have more space and privacy).
Unit 4 is meant for up to 8 sims on basic training, either officer or enlisted. It's not too long a course, but there is little privacy, a lot of restrictions on time and personalizing the space, and daily inspections.
Unit 3 is meant for up to 6 sims, of any rank on short courses or at low rank (jr officer or enlisted) for long term courses. There is some freedom to personalize the space, but the choice of blankets is limited to one of 3 and the rooms are subject to weekly inspections.
Unit 2 is meant for 4 sims, in unmarried quarters for long term housing and at low rank, but it's a definite step up from unit 3, as the only inspections are annuals by base fire or by building maintenance if there's a problem. Each roommate actually has a private room and bathroom.
Unit 1 is meant for 3 sims, either fairly high ranking officers on course or mid-rank officers staying in quarters for a long posting.

Locked thread | Locked by: gdayars Reason: Contest over
Page 19 of 25