Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 5:10 PM
Default s3pe making compressed files larger??
Title says it all really. I've recently been finding that when I combine package files with S3PE the merged file can be larger than the combined size of all the files merged inside it!

For example, I just merged my "skins" folder. The size of this folder unmerged is 39mb. The merged package file is 52mb!

I know it sounds a bit mad, but it's true. Am I doing something wrong? I've used S3PE for a year or more now, and it definitely did not used to do this before.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 3:28 AM
Is the merged file just bigger with skins or other cc as well? I've also seen before that it's not good to merge skin package files.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 11:08 AM
Good that you mention this. I've always wanted to post about this at simlogical but always forgot and now the forums are gone. I experience the same: merged furniture and merged clothing files get larger, while merged hair gets smaller.
I think it is Anach who still maintains some sort of S3PE merging support but I lost the link to their site, unfortunately.
Theorist
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 2:38 PM
Also, if you open a package with s3pe, remove some resources then save, it can be bigger than the original file...for some reason..

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Alchemist
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 6:15 PM
Yes, that's why I run the finished merged .package through S3RC; it reduces the filesize by a sizeable amount (e.g. on an 180MB merged package, it'll cut off about 30MB).
Doesn't S3PE decompress things like _IMG resources? I think those are responsible for huge .package file sizes.

Quote: Originally posted by koalaluvv
I've also seen before that it's not good to merge skin package files.

You can safely merge anything except mods. Personally, though, I've found that merging Nraas mods has no negative consequences, but merging other smaller scripting mods will cause them to not work. That being said, merge mods at your own risk.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Yes, that's why I run the finished merged .package through S3RC; it reduces the filesize by a sizeable amount (e.g. on an 180MB merged package, it'll cut off about 30MB).
Doesn't S3PE decompress things like _IMG resources? I think those are responsible for huge .package file sizes.

You can safely merge anything except mods. Personally, though, I've found that merging Nraas mods has no negative consequences, but merging other smaller scripting mods will cause them to not work. That being said, merge mods at your own risk.

Ah-ha! Thanks for posting this. I noticed the same issue recently. Commenting so I don't forget to check back and grab S3RC.
Theorist
#7 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 9:10 PM
I don't have any problem merging mods

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil

This is really helpful, thanks! I'll give it a try.