Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 6:49 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life
Downloading Custom skin ?
Hi ya
I just bought Sims3 and expansion's & went looking to download better looking skin in the game.
How do I get a number of different skins to work in my game?
Also i have no clue about what default and non default means.
All help appreciated

Thanks
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 7:02 AM
You'll need a mod to display more skins, I think. Master Controller should do it, and then you should be able to use your scroll wheel to go through them all; that's how I do it.

As for the difference between default and non default, any details that the custom default skin has (like anatomically correct details, for example) will be added to all skins, whether custom or not. So, say you download an anatomically correct default skin and then use one of EA's skins, that'll become anatomically correct as well. I hope I explained that clearly XD.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 7:38 AM
Just, be careful deleting any skin that may have been used on sim. It creates a weird graphical bug that you'll have to use Master Controller to pull them into CAS and assign them a new skin to fix.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 9:10 AM
A default skin is a skin that replaces the skins that are in the game. All Sims will use that instead of the original one.
A non-default skin will not replace the original skin but add a new one to the skin tones. If you assign a non-default to one Sim, only that Sim will have it, while the others will continue to have the original one.
You can have multiple non-defaults and use them independent of each other, while you can only have one default skin replacement at a time.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 2:10 PM
want to add that if you replace EAs skins with ONE default as mention above you need to delete caches to make them show up correctly after re-entering your sims 3 game.
also the mod that is needed to show more non-default skins isnt needed anymore - dont know since which patch level - but certainly not at the last patch level (to which you should be patched anyway). you can scroll down the skin panel just normally.
summary:
delete the CasPartCache.package and the worlds caches if you have costum worlds as mentionend in the wiki entry. BUT MAC USERS DO NOT DELETE WORLD CACHES EVER!
dont use a mod thats obsolete

also note that awesome detailed looking defaults can lead to performance backdrop, since they get displayed on all sims in your neighbourhood!. if you realize lag and you hadnt changed anything else (i always would do such changes step by step) re-think your choice. try to find a less detailed (that maybe NOT needs a hq mod to look like the creators pictures) skin default.

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>