Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 1:31 AM
shwew...tough crowd.

OM
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 3:10 AM
I'm sorry to say I've a problem, I downloaded all 5 parts and got rid of the first part of the name as per Ella's instructions and everything was fine.

But when I opened the tut I've quite a few images what are grayed out, like this.

Any ideas?

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 3:17 AM
Does that happen on a lot of pages, Dee?
My only thought is the downloading is not 100% complete so the unrar process is incomplete too. Maybe redownload and unrar again?

It's not happening to other people, so I don't think it is the upload.
Instructor
#29 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 4:02 AM
After 30 images like that I stopped counting, but it's fixed now.
When you said nobody else had that problem I looked further into it and it wasn't your tut, but my old Adobe Reader.
So I downloaded Foxit Reader and everything works as it should now.
Thank you so much for this tut Ella, very much appreciated.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Field Researcher
#30 Old 9th Nov 2009 at 1:02 PM
so if i followed these steps but wanted to create my mesh in maya first then pass it over to milkshape how do i go about that what are the steps all i keep seeing is bridge this and that is there a tutorial which explains how to bridge between maya -->Milkshape--> S3PE ?
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 9th Nov 2009 at 1:57 PM
You need to export from Maya and import into Milkshape in a file format that is available in both. Seems the popular formats are .obj, .smd and Ascii. There will be some things lost in the translation, of course, but I think these would just import the object's vertices and stuff.

I think I saw a Maya Ascii (*.ma) Import line in Milkshape...

Then when you import the (*.s3asc) file using Wes' plugin in Milkshape after the Decompile step, you can just delete the group(s) of the mesh that will be replaced by the one you imported from Maya. Then you'd need to reassign the joints, etc, before you export to proceed to the Recompile step.

Meshers using Maya chime in, please, and answer melanise ....or correct me (Thx for helping out!)
Field Researcher
#32 Old 9th Nov 2009 at 11:17 PM
well that makes sence ty very much ellacharm i'll be giving that a whirl but yes plz if anyone goes about object meshing for sims2 or 3 in this way plz let me know xx

Melanie
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
Oh! Sorry, I forgot that part, didn't I? It is because of the numbering appended to the filename at the beginning; the WinRAR program is looking for files of the same name. Once you've finished downloading, remove the "MTS_ellacharm3d_???????_" and extract part 1 again.

I'll add this to the instructions, thanks for letting me know, guys.

I am still having difficulty with the file. I did everything you said. I was using All Zip, so I switched to Win rar and it still didn't help. What should I do?

Never burn bridges, you may need to cross them again! - Kalamity_Katie
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 2:29 AM
kalamity_katie,
what browser are you using? Have you tried switching to another (Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE8, Chrome)?

If you use a download manager, is it setup to split into more than 3 chunks per file? You need to change it to max of 3 chunks and, then you can only download one file at a time. If it is set as 1 chunk, you can download 3 files at a time.

Try downloading one file at a time anyway. Wait until each completes before starting another, and then remove the numbering and join them up, before you extract the .pdf file.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 5th Jan 2010 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
kalamity_katie,
what browser are you using? Have you tried switching to another (Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE8, Chrome)?

If you use a download manager, is it setup to split into more than 3 chunks per file? You need to change it to max of 3 chunks and, then you can only download one file at a time. If it is set as 1 chunk, you can download 3 files at a time.

Try downloading one file at a time anyway. Wait until each completes before starting another, and then remove the numbering and join them up, before you extract the .pdf file.

I was using internet explorer, but I will try using my firefox instead and see how that goes. The files were showing when I opened up the zip file in both cases of zip extractors, but they just wouldn't extract. Hopefully using firefox might make a difference. Thank you very much. * crosses fingers *

Test Subject
#36 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 3:19 AM
has anyone successfully gone through this entire thing with no probs yet? not seeing any feedback on that front and i think i may be stuck.

i'm a complete newb and have only successfully done one object for sims 2 a couple weeks ago and it was done by following a tutorial step by step XD. anyway here's my issue...

i'm at the UV mapping part in lithuwrap and have tried to import my table .obj that i exported from milkshape. now i'm not sure if this is even an issue as i've used UVMapper in the past and as far as i know it doesn't show the texture images. however when i load my .obj into lithuwrap i don't see the textures images behind the maps the way it looks in the tutorial pdf. so i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be fitting the maps to since there's no picture. what's weird is if i go into the materials menu on the side they're all listed there and the dropshadow image actually shows up, just not the other two.

sorry it's hard to explain this and since i'm new i'm probably using all the wrong lingo and confusing things further XD. hope this makes sense and hopefully i've just missed something small (O_O)

help? thanks in advance!
<3tash.

oh p.s. i included attachments. mine is the big blank blue one heh.
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#37 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 4:08 AM
I've not used Lithunwrap, but you probably need to import a texture. I use Milkshape to map or Uvmapper. Looking at the image it looks like in the toolbar there is a link for Materials. And the image in the tutorial looks like the multiplier dds img from the package. I know in Milkshape you need to select the model and apply the texture to it. But in Uvampper you don't. I'm guessing by the picture on the left you missed a step to import a texture to map to?
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 2nd Feb 2010 at 4:51 AM Last edited by candyapplegirl : 2nd Feb 2010 at 5:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by kalamity_katie
I am still having difficulty with the file. I did everything you said. I was using All Zip, so I switched to Win rar and it still didn't help. What should I do?

Katie, I had problems trying to open them, too... and it was just my own misunderstanding of what the instructions are saying to do. Here's what I did, and I finally got it to work:

When you click on each of the downloads, you'll immediately get a box that pops up, giving you the options to "Open" "Save" or "Cancel". Most of the time when you're downloading something, you'll click on the 'open' option, and extract the files you want to download... but this time click on "Save" instead. Save the files wherever you want to put them (I put them in My Documents).

Download all five files like this, but do not try to open them up in Adobe until you've downloaded them all and changed the file names per the instructions.

Once they are all downloaded and the names have been changed, go back to your documents (or wherever you put the files) and double click on Part 1, and double click the .pdf file inside to open.

I hope this helps!
Test Subject
#39 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 5:51 PM
I am having the same exact problem as Sococo. I have followed the AMAZING tutorial to a "t" and i have the all blue screen in lithunwrap...have you found a way to fix this, or maybe even a workaround?
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 2:23 AM
Sorry for the tardiness in my response.

Sococo, shawbones,
On page 48, step 10 outlines the method to assign a texture/material to groups and you should be getting the "texturized" table as shown in the picture. If you had skipped that part or the textures are somehow not applied (have you selected groups and clicked Assign?), you can do this step in LithUnwrap (although it is a bit more troublesome).

The same thing can be accomplished in LithUnwrap - shown on pages 56-57.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 2:51 PM
Ah! I will try this as soon as I get the chance. I feel like such a dope.
Thanks.

Quote: Originally posted by candyapplegirl
Katie, I had problems trying to open them, too... and it was just my own misunderstanding of what the instructions are saying to do. Here's what I did, and I finally got it to work:

When you click on each of the downloads, you'll immediately get a box that pops up, giving you the options to "Open" "Save" or "Cancel". Most of the time when you're downloading something, you'll click on the 'open' option, and extract the files you want to download... but this time click on "Save" instead. Save the files wherever you want to put them (I put them in My Documents).

Download all five files like this, but do not try to open them up in Adobe until you've downloaded them all and changed the file names per the instructions.

Once they are all downloaded and the names have been changed, go back to your documents (or wherever you put the files) and double click on Part 1, and double click the .pdf file inside to open.

I hope this helps!

Lab Assistant
#42 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 3:08 PM
Woo hoo! I got them to open! Now I need to get to work! Thank you all for getting my brain to understand the directions! I can't believe how easy that was, I feel like a complete dork! I will have to dedicate my first mesh to you, Ella! You did a great job on this! Thank you!

In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 4:19 AM
For those having problems downloading and extracting the tutorial, I've added a wiki link to a pictorial guide in the first post. A tutorial on downloading a tutorial, oh! the irony!
Field Researcher
#44 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 12:45 PM
Your tutorial has been very helpful. How do i enable the RGB pattern CASt-ablity?

I cloned an object that has 2 areas of recolor, followed all the steps, Then edited the Footprint and vpxy as shown in another tutorial and my object works and looks good (It wraps in my new base texture), But in game it tells me the object is not recolor-able! < o.O> wha?!?<O.o>.

I have repeated the process over and over and the same result. good looking, wraps the base texture, but no recolor.

I saw a tutorial on "enabling patterns" do i have to do this too? I thought if i was making it use the same number of areas of color as the clone, and used the default img's it would work?

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Alchemist
#45 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 3:25 PM
What object are you using for your clone? At what point in the process is the recolorability being lost...before or after you edit the footprint & vpxy? Are the recolor channel buttons still present on the final object and just don't work?
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 11:38 AM
Yep, need to know the original object you cloned from..and to add to OM's questions -

You needed to edit the Footprint and vpxy because you made the new mesh bigger/smaller? Did you remember to uvmap the new object to the part mask dds (the colorful one)?
If you just want to enable new channels to make a 2-channel object to 3-channel object, then yes, cmomoney's tutorial would be applicable.
But if you want to retain it as a 2-channel object but you're losing the CASt-ability, then some steps were skipped or this is caused by some other issue...

What version of the tools are you using and do you clone with Defaults checked or unchecked?
If you deviated from the steps, what do you change or what other tool do you use?
Alchemist
#47 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 12:43 PM
Lol...it's like we need a standard checklist of questions that can just be copied and pasted into a thread...tool version?-check, additional tools used?-check...and etc.

I feel like an OP could end up feeling grilled/interrogated if I clobber someone with the whole list of what I want to know about their object all at once. But there are so many little things that could be causing their problem that it's hard to figure out sometimes unless you have detailed information.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#48 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 1:53 PM
If the object is not recolorable, and never was, you won't be able to simply follow cmo's tutorial for enabling channels. Because there aren't any! LoL

I've looked at non-recolorable objects and they have no material stuff in the OBJD.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 11:24 PM
So the object in question is the inscription plaque from debug. It's recolor-able in game, but the clone does not retain the materials as you have said about non-recolor-able items.... Is this a flaw in S3oc?

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#50 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 11:34 PM
Possible. Try recloning with renumber unticked and the default only unticked. Then delete any resources (IMG) that you don't change. Then renumber and see if it is recolorable.
Page 2 of 5