Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 8:13 PM
Default Soinic The Hedgehog- Past And Present
Sonic The Hedgehog for the Sega Mega Drive (Sega Genisis for you Americans out there!) was brilliant. It had the fast speed, beautiful stages, upbeat soundtrack, and great boss battles.

But what about Sonic now? IMO Sonic is a different game than it used to be. Now he's a sword wielding, human lusting, hoverboarding, werehog! What happened Sonic!? It really annoys me to think when I hear a new Sonic game is coming out, I say "Oh thats cool" but that later changes to "Oh great. . " when its released. If some think the modern Sonics are good, thats fine by me. I just think compared to retro Sonic, Sega might as well turn into a pig or something . . And whats with all this characters? Seriously. I love Sonic Adventure, but it seems to be the only good 3D Sonic there is, well Sonic Heroes is good too but Sonic Adventure is better! :P

So what do you think of Sonic these days? And whats your opinion on Sonic 4?

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Advertisement
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 1:02 AM
Sonic died when he moved to 3D. Sega should have let him die with dignity and not become one of the oldest jokes in the industry.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
Sonic died when he moved to 3D. Sega should have let him die with dignity and not become one of the oldest jokes in the industry.

Yah seriously, who makes theses Sonic games these days?? Come on "Sonic Colors" just sounds so stupid. . . and its soundtrack sounds sooo cheesy. *sigh*

Inventor
#4 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 10:49 AM

You mean like Mario? God I hate that fat little plumber.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 1:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin

Lol. But I love Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. . .

retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Aug 2010 at 2:15 AM
You may not be a fan but it is hard to argue that Mario's move to 3D wasn't infinitely more successful than Sonic's.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Aug 2010 at 1:59 PM
You may not be a fan but it is hard to argue that Mario's move to 3D wasn't infinitely more successful than Sonic's.

Yup agreed!

Forum Resident
#8 Old 11th Aug 2010 at 3:53 PM
Sonic 3 and Knuckles 4EVAR!!!!!! Or Sonic CD, everything after Heroes, IMO, is quite horrid.

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Aug 2010 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lovetadraw
Sonic 3 and Knuckles 4EVAR!!!!!! Or Sonic CD, everything after Heroes, IMO, is quite horrid.

Yup that is true. . .

Theorist
#10 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 4:44 AM Last edited by Captain THPS4 : 24th Oct 2010 at 5:12 AM.
Yeah, Sonic really declined for a while there. Sonic Heroes was good but not as good as Sonic Adventure 2 (seeing the Chaotix again was awesome though). It really started with Shadow's spin-off game that had nothing going for it other than finding out Shadow's origins and how he survived after Sonic Adventure 2 (which you can't find out unless you force the final boss battle to drag out on purpose, and the explanation itself makes no sense anyway). Then there was the atrocity that was Sonic '06. I think the only decent Sonic games that came out during that time period were the Rush and Riders games.

I think Sonic is finally recovering though. Sonic and the Secret Rings was okay. The daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed were a definite improvement (especially Holoska, truly felt like a modern version of Ice Cap). Now with Sonic Colours they're making the whole game revolve around that and they're adding wisps which actually seem to improve the gameplay instead of taking away from it. Apparently it's even possible to go through the whole game without using any wisps at all. From what I've seen Sonic 4 doesn't look as good as the classics (where are those momentum-based physics? I've seen video clips where Sonic's just standing on a slope perfectly still!), but I don't think there's any arguing that it's still much better than Sonic '06. Plus there's still supposed to be two more installments. Sonic Free Riders is suddenly starting to shape up too at least content-wise, there's some fun looking levels plus they have included Vector and Metal Sonic with the promise of more secret characters. I'm still open-minded about motion controls, so if I had the money for a 360 and Kinect I would definitely buy Free Riders. Seems the only real bump in the road to recovery was Sonic and the Black Knight. I'll admit that playing as Shadow (er...Lancelot) with his strongest sword was still really fun just because of how ridiculously powerful he was. And even though Sonic had a sword, it was still better than '06. :P

With the whole excessive amount of side characters thing, the recent games have gotten rid of that and mostly save them for the spin-offs. I was never really that annoyed by the side characters' gameplay except for Big's fishing levels in Sonic Adventure. If only Silver made his debut in a better game than '06 he would probably be more popular, it's too bad since aside from Sonic and Knuckles he's my favorite Sonic character.

Even as a huge Sonic fan I'll admit that Mario had a better transition to 3D, and that the Galaxy games are two of the best games ever. If the quality of the Sonic games keep rising though, they may be able to be compared on the same level again. If Sega doesn't blow it with Sonic's 20th anniversary game next year I think it should be safe to say that Sonic is back. Heck, on the spin-off side I can easily say I prefer Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing over Mario Kart.

My top 5 Sonic games are Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Advance, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic CD, and the first Sonic Riders. The old games are definitely still the best but there's still some fun to be had in some of the newer games. Sonic Advance was my first Sonic game and I was hooked before I even beat the first act. Now Sonic is my favorite video game series of all-time, and it's great to see him and my second favorite series (The Sims) recovering simultaneously.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 4:46 AM
I have both Sonic Adventure ports for GameCube as well as Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Heroes. All of these games were great, but I hated Sonic and the Secret Rings and haven't bought any games since. Maybe I should give Colors a chance?
Field Researcher
#12 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 5:15 AM
Old Sonic? Yay. New Sonic? FAIL.

Well, actually, the Sonic Adventure series is pretty good. I have SA2B and I'm trying to get me some Chaos Chao. :P

The future is bulletproof,
The aftermath is secondary,
It's time to do it now and do it loud,
Killjoys, make some noise!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Six_by_Nine

Well, actually, the Sonic Adventure series is pretty good. I have SA2B and I'm trying to get me some Chaos Chao. :P

I loved the Sonic Adventure series, but that was the last Sonic series I loved.

Forum Resident
#14 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 4:13 AM
Has anyone tired the new Sonic 4 game? I think Episode 1 is the only part out right now. It's just like classic sonic! This was the first time I've had fun playing a sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 battle. It's kinda of challenging/frustrating too, just like Sonic 2. I remember some of the stages in Sonic 2 were incredibly frustrating.

Quote: Originally posted by Six_by_Nine

The Adventure series was probably my favorite, especially with the chao sub-system.
retired moderator
#15 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 4:41 AM
Personally I thought Sonic 4 was rubbish. If you want a modern looking sonic then checkout this free Sonic Fan Remix.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 11:28 PM
Wow thank you for that link ElPresidente! That Sonic looks far more fun to play than any of the modern Sonic games :P

Theorist
#17 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 10:57 AM
I've had Sonic Fan Remix on my laptop for a few weeks now and I'm still not tired of it. It definitely is 2D Sonic physics done right. Love the whale cameo too. Really looking forward to seeing what levels will be in the final version!

I've yet to play it, but I was shocked to see Sonic Colours get so many positive reviews. Asteroid Coaster and Aquarium Park look like they will be on my list of favorite Sonic levels. The beginning of Asteroid Coaster reminded me of Shadow's final level in Sonic Adventure 2 except it's on a roller coaster. The soundtrack is great too (I listen to Aquarium Park, Planet Wisp and some of Starlight Carnival's music while using buy/build mode in TS3 now unless it's the LN music) The cutscenes haven't been this funny since Sonic Adventure, and the new voice cast is great especially Tails, Espio, and Rouge. I hope the Madworld writers are kept on for future Sonic games. Plus there's an amazing bonus for collecting everything (the game just came out, so I won't spoil it).

Here's a funny Sonic Colours commercial Sega posted on their channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGkgyDtiuyc

It's going to be really interesting to see where Sonic's games will go from here.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 5:51 PM
Sonic Colours does look fun, and looks like the best Sonic game (gameplay and graphic wise) I have since in years. Heres hoping for a Wii at Christmas!

Test Subject
#19 Old 23rd Nov 2010 at 12:05 PM
I always liked Sonic R myself lol, the music was addictive X].

Anyone else remember Sonic Shuffle on the Dreamcast?
Field Researcher
#20 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 5:12 AM
Sonic? BLECH!!!!

I hate him and his size 96 clodhoppers. It was always anathema to race around and leave perfectly good rings hanging around unloved. And yet when I tried to collect them in what I felt was proper fashion, I was always losing 75% percent of the darn things I had gathered up to that point on a bed of spikes or something stupid like that. Give me Mario any day. Where I can tread lightly and hit things precisely and still have the speed burst in my back pocket in case of emergency. One of these days I hope Robotnik succeeds in barbecuing the little punk into hedgehog burgers.
Theorist
#21 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by apv301
I always liked Sonic R myself lol, the music was addictive X].

Anyone else remember Sonic Shuffle on the Dreamcast?

"Can you feel the sunshine? Does it brighten up your day? Don't you feel that sometimes, you just need to run away?" LOL, Sonic R had such weird but awesome music. Oh yeah, and that was the first and only game that the creepy Tails Doll appeared in.

Sonic Shuffle is one of the few Sonic games I haven't played, missed out on the Dreamcast unfortunately. It looks fun though, kind of like Mario Party except with cards. I hosted quite a few Mario parties back in the day so I wouldn't mind seeing a remake or sequel on the Wii.

If it makes you feel any better cappyboy, Sonic temporarily died in Sonic '06...but that game didn't actually happen due to the random ending. XD
Test Subject
#22 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Guysim1993
Lol. But I love Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. . .

You shall die!
Sonic rox 4eva!
NO MATTER WHAT THE FREAKS SAY!!!!!!!

to me! to me!

I allied with the GROX
Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cappyboy
Sonic? BLECH!!!!

I hate him and his size 96 clodhoppers. It was always anathema to race around and leave perfectly good rings hanging around unloved. And yet when I tried to collect them in what I felt was proper fashion, I was always losing 75% percent of the darn things I had gathered up to that point on a bed of spikes or something stupid like that. Give me Mario any day. Where I can tread lightly and hit things precisely and still have the speed burst in my back pocket in case of emergency. One of these days I hope Robotnik succeeds in barbecuing the little punk into hedgehog burgers.

Yo mama's so stupid she graduated elementary school at the age of 80.

I allied with the GROX
Test Subject
#24 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Captain THPS4
"Can you feel the sunshine? Does it brighten up your day? Don't you feel that sometimes, you just need to run away?" LOL, Sonic R had such weird but awesome music. Oh yeah, and that was the first and only game that the creepy Tails Doll appeared in.

Sonic Shuffle is one of the few Sonic games I haven't played, missed out on the Dreamcast unfortunately. It looks fun though, kind of like Mario Party except with cards. I hosted quite a few Mario parties back in the day so I wouldn't mind seeing a remake or sequel on the Wii.

If it makes you feel any better cappyboy, Sonic temporarily died in Sonic '06...but that game didn't actually happen due to the random ending. XD
Yayz! I stabbed Mephiles!

I allied with the GROX
Test Subject
#25 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 9:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
I hope Bowser kills Mario soon!

I allied with the GROX

Page 1 of 2