Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Thanks for the info, Yeabil- have you had any luck with the school yet? Try deleting and replacing the lot.

Thanks for the info!

FYI I had the modified a Simsville world to a city version and of course had the unmodified version as a backup. I played a new version of the town as a "wolfrun" and let it run for 1 1/2 hours at 3 speed with no problems as a simulator. I then played a saved game and actural family vs "wolfrun" of the same town and that's when I got the school problem.

To clarify when it got close to their time to attend it would tell me the school was not in session and to attend in X hours and then the next day when it got close and no school bus arrived I clicked to have them attend and got the same message school was not in session.

When I used the unmodified version of the town with the same saved game they were able to attend.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#52 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 9:18 AM
That's interesting; I'll take a look into this when I get chance. Thanks for letting me know!
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 2:53 PM
Back from testing. Imported the city tag into the food truck and the parking space, added like 20 parking in sunset park and one food truck in front of the science building just in case... Nothing happened. Yeah stupid ideas gives stupid results Meh, at least there's a good thing from the test: having the city tag injected in items doesn't seem to break anything, world works correctly and no borks appeared.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#54 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 6:52 PM
yeabil - Ehehehe wolfrun. Creatures player too, huh? :D

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#55 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 5:05 AM
any chance of recovering the description?
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 2:35 PM
I guess we should cooperate 'til this AWESOME mod will work at 100%
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 4:46 PM Last edited by simsample : 11th Feb 2011 at 1:28 PM. Reason: Re-linked images
Quote: Originally posted by Theabf
any chance of recovering the description?

Quote: Originally posted by LS_Bari
I guess we should cooperate 'til this AWESOME mod will work at 100%

Hehe, you have both volunteered to help! Let me know when you've figured it out.

So far I've found the byte which is responsible for the City flag and those which are responsible for the traffic.

As you can see in my previous images there is a difference between 0x296A6258 in a city:

And 0x296A6258 in a suburb:

If you number the bytes from left to right, like this:
Byte... 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09
City.... 01 00 D7 E3 FF 09 02 00 00 00
Suburb 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Then Bytes 02 to 05 flag the traffic and somehow block the WDDT, whereas byte 06 actually flags the world as a city.

So, if you change 0x296A6258 to 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 then you get a city with a world description but no city traffic; if you change it to 01 00 D7 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 (or any combination of bytes 02 to 05 with byte 06) you get a city with city traffic but no world description. Using bytes 02 to 05 without byte 06 seems to do nothing but block the world description, although I did get an initial short burst of city traffic.

Next tests would be to change the values of the bytes, although that could be a lengthy process of trial and error. If anyone has any ideas or input, I'd love to hear!
Mad Poster
#58 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 6:59 PM
Does your use of 'city traffic' also refer to the food truck behaviour or is more testing needed there to decide?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 7:42 AM
I haven't had chance to test that yet, Menaceman- feel free to test it yourself!
Test Subject
#60 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 1:24 PM
how you could modify the script using S3PE?
you could put it modified to download for me to test?

The traffic is not very important.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Theabf
how you could modify the script using S3PE?
you could put it modified to download for me to test?

The traffic is not very important.

You can just modify it yourself in S3Pe, to test for me if you like.

Just download from my first post and open in S3Pe, and you should be able to figure it out from my pictures. You'll need a hex editor, I used this one:
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delp...xvi32/xvi32.htm
And associate it with S3PE in settings> External Programs.
Test Subject
#62 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 2:20 PM
Thank you! :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 2:43 PM
Cheers Theabf- let us know if you make any discoveries! Specifically I'm trying to prevent this from killing the description of the custom worlds.
Test Subject
#64 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 6:11 PM
I changed only the sixth byte of the suburb script to 02 before to finish world in the CAW.

It did not break the description nor the traffic.

Do I not know yet about the food's car, I have to test.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 6:41 PM
I'm being too much of a perfectionist about my world to have tried any of this yet. It doesn't even have any residential lots yet.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 10:01 PM
Theabf- that's what I found too- byte 06 is the only one that actually gives the world a city icon in the world selection screen.

Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
I'm being too much of a perfectionist about my world to have tried any of this yet. It doesn't even have any residential lots yet.

Hehe, c'mon Menaceman, you're good with CC stuff so I'd really appreciate your input on this. You don't have to use a world that you value- any ole' downloaded world will do. The more people that look at this the better chance of figuring it out, and I'm sure you know more about the game than I do.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 12:03 PM
You're doing a great job... I've tryed but I made lots of mistakes XD!! So I chose to slow down the creation of my world until this will fully work ...
Mad Poster
#68 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 2:33 PM
Okay so I finally did a little bit of testing.
I altered the resource to 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 for a custom world that I had downloaded a while ago and already had a save file with. I loaded it up and placed around 18 food truck spaces and about 8 food trucks. I then ran the game for 24 Sim hours.
My results are thus:
The save file was tagged as a city. City taxis began driving around town immediately and all but one food truck drove off around town. Despite having placed 8 trucks I could only find two driving around at any one time although I do use AwesomeMod so I dunno if that limits the number of trucks or if there is a built in limit anyway. The trucks DID stop and park on other lots and I even saw a townie autonomously and successfully order food from one.
I didn't notice any new ambient sounds other than that of the city taxis. Why is it they sound like wind up toys rather than the regular taxis?

Lab Assistant
#69 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 2:46 PM
Have you tried to REPLACE the file of the world with the one of Bridgeport? I mean delete all the keys of the file then import the ones of Bridgeport...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#70 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Okay so I finally did a little bit of testing.
I altered the resource to 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 for a custom world that I had downloaded a while ago and already had a save file with. I loaded it up and placed around 18 food truck spaces and about 8 food trucks. I then ran the game for 24 Sim hours.
My results are thus:
The save file was tagged as a city. City taxis began driving around town immediately and all but one food truck drove off around town. Despite having placed 8 trucks I could only find two driving around at any one time although I do use AwesomeMod so I dunno if that limits the number of trucks or if there is a built in limit anyway. The trucks DID stop and park on other lots and I even saw a townie autonomously and successfully order food from one.
I didn't notice any new ambient sounds other than that of the city taxis. Why is it they sound like wind up toys rather than the regular taxis?

Wow, that's great Menaceman! It's different from what I noticed in my custom world- if I set the resource to 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 then I wasn't noticing any of the fake taxis, so I'll try again in another world. If the city is getting the traffic and the city status, plus food trucks and the original World description, then that will be what we need to test with for a while. Good work!

LS_Bari, thanks for your nice comments! Yes, I tried importing the Bridgeport resources into a custom world, that resulted in the WDDT being broken, as mentioned in my first posts.
Retired
retired moderator
#71 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 3:58 PM
Fantastic work tech-minded simmers! I'm really impressed watching you all work this out.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Fantastic work tech-minded simmers! I'm really impressed watching you all work this out.

Cheers, Kiwi_tea!

I hope you know that by replying in this thread you're automatically recruited to the research team, right?
Retired
retired moderator
#73 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 5:37 PM
I have a total of 0% experience modding. Only just getting my head around the tools. The amount of damage I could do trying to test files scares me. But if I get time between prepping Riverblossom Hills for upload (beyond a mammoth task) then I'll try this out in a back up.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Mad Poster
#74 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 7:39 PM
I can also confirm that the world has retained it's description when selecting it to create a new game.

kiwi_tea, I haven't a clue when it comes to game functions. The most modding I have done is create mesh and text replacements or recatagorisations.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 8:05 PM Last edited by simsample : 11th Feb 2011 at 1:32 PM. Reason: Re-linked images
Hehe, Kiwi_tea- you've done lots of unusual things with your worlds, like putting sims in and also modding ini files, so you're well qualified to play around with this.

Menaceman, I'm not seeing the food trucks working in my world by setting 0x269A6298 UNK to 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00. They will linger for a while and then disappear (and rematerialise later) but I'm not seeing them drive around as you are. I do see traffic now though- I think the reason I was mistaken before was that the world I was testing on has a lot of separate islands, so less road interconnections than Bridgeport (making the traffic seem more sparse). Thanks for testing that, you were a great help!

I made another little discovery with this resource though. I remember Tamlo31 (stw402) finding the resource responsible for flagging a world as a vacation world here. Well guess what- it's the same resource that we're talking about here, 0x269A6298 UNK. I only cottoned onto this when I was playing with the byte values and got this on loading a save:

I'd changed my world into a vacation world!
The byte responsible for that is byte 06 again; if you set it to 01 then you get a vacation world, set it to 02 and you get a city. If it's set to 00 then you have a suburb/ town. When flagged as a vacation world then your world will not show in the dropdown menu; you can still load it from a save though (that's when I got the above message).
I also managed to break it completely- if you set byte 06 to anything else then the game doesn't know what the heck the world is, so gives it a blank icon!

The other bytes I'm guessing are concerned with identifying the world, which could be why they obliterate the WDDT. Here's a comparison of 0x296A6258 UNK in the EA worlds.

Byte number....00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09

Bridgeport.......01 00 D7 E3 FF 09 02 00 00 00
Twinbrook.......01 00 FA 10 B6 09 00 00 00 00
Barnacle Bay...01 00 B8 6E 86 08 00 00 00 00
China.............01 00 4C DB 59 08 01 00 00 00
Egypt............01 00 48 DB 59 08 01 00 00 00
France...........01 00 50 DB 59 08 01 00 00 00
Sunset Valley: Not present
Riverview: Not present.
Screenshots
Locked thread
Page 3 of 9