Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 19th Mar 2013 at 2:52 PM
Sorry I''m currently in work eating my dinner and I was reading this thread, sorry I can't add much info at the moment, but have you tried just calling your world university not Sims university, the reason I'm saying that, is that many of the opportunities are trigged by the game play file found in your Bin folder. If you look at this file you will see that that some of the opportunities require <TargetWorldRequired>University</TargetWorldRequired> so the game looks for this world. So try and rename your world university in caw and see what happens. To what I can remember when I looked at this file the other night the name was just university I checked the WDNM file in a hex editor.

Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#27 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 4:59 AM
Interesting. I'll try that and see what happens.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 27th Mar 2013 at 8:28 PM
I was just babbling about this stuff in chat channel and decided to come and finally poke nose back into forum instead of flailing about guessing how it might be done. So glad this is being sorted. Must work on better university world! Thank you everyone working at this problem and sharing things! We'll see if I can add anything to it later =)
Test Subject
#29 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 7:45 PM
Has anyone gotten far enough to know if/how you can pre-populate a university town?
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 12th Apr 2013 at 6:41 PM Last edited by PWN9483 : 2nd May 2013 at 9:38 PM.
Has anyone gotten far enough to know if/how you can pre-populate a university town
Quote: Originally posted by FoxPaw
Has anyone gotten far enough to know if/how you can pre-populate a university town?

Added the.ini file flag to a world with University lots placed to make it a University World.
If I start with a base game and have a young adult then sign up and attend university they do with no problems.

The issue I have is trying to populate a CAW University World and have those Sims I've assigned to lots attend University.

The Townies I populate in CAW/EIG for my University world -with the exception of students- work as expected just like any other CAW world.
The Students do not work completely. There's no way to go through the enrollment process and select how many semesters, how many credits.
You can using NRaas/Immediate/Career/Choose Job select 'University Student' which will make their career a student, but without any classes (no University enrollment process).
Update April 2, 2013: Update: You can also use "NRaas/Debug Enabled/Options:Sim/Occupation/Add Profession/University Student" on the sim and assign them University from

This means the sims assigned in CAW/EIG to the CAW University World, graduate on their first day of school with an blank diploma.
There after they are just unemployed sims sitting around town.
Update April 2, 2013: If you have NRaas Story Progression installed after they graduate Students assimilate into the world, move to their own lots and get jobs and simply become part of the community.

Note: If I don't populate Dorm/Fraternity/Sorority in CAW/EIG and play in TS3 without having placed any Sims on those, the game generates the students, it plays fine.

Trying to make my own set of sims, that are assigned to fraternity/sorority/dorm, that attend university doesn't wholly work.
Here's what I have tried so far...

Making a Sim a University Student:
Select the Sim, use NRaas, Immediate/Career/Choose Job (not 'choose school'), from the list, scroll down till you find "University Student".
If you go back to Immediate/Career and select Level, you can choose between being a student or being a professor.
Update April 2, 2013: You can also use NRaas/Debug/

Couple of issues:
1: Assigning a Sim as a University Student is the only option I have found.
I don't see a way to assign how many credits, how many terms or which field of study they will have. This is critical and missing and results in #2 below.
2: Instead of "attending" class they simply graduate on their first day without having taken any classes.
They don't have a class schedule, so how can they attend???
This kind of sucks because my goal was to have fraternity/sorority's that specialize, say a nerd sorority where all the roommates study science.
Still working through the issues....

Tips:
- Keep in mind that Dorms, Apartments, Sorority and Fraternity homes will fill to 8 residents. If you do not assign premade sims, the game over time will generate sims to fill them.
- If you place premade sim group's in these buildings leave room for your student.

How to populate CAW world with your own sims:
When you are in Create-a-World (CAW), open Edit-in-Game (EIG),
Type Control-Shift-C to open debug, enter TestingCheatsEnabled True
open debug again, Type MakeSim (creates a townie) to "enabled NRaas.
Now you can click any building that will house sims, select NRaas, select Porter and a text list of your premade sims (located in your "Library" folder) will show.
Simply choose which Sim/family/group to assign.
When you're done assigning sims, Open the debug window (Control-Shift-C) and type restartmotives.
Then save.

Note: When I add sims to the world using NRaas, I have the following NRaas Packages installed:
NRaas_DebugEnabler.package, NRaas_ErrorTrap.package, NRaas_MasterController.package, NRaas_MasterControllerCheats.package,NRaas_MasterControllerIntegration.package, NRaas_Porter.package

Note: there's more to populating a world, lots of tricks to use like which lot the sim you created with Makesim will be placed on.
See: Tutorials:Populating CAW Worlds
See also: Cleaning the Global Layer - suggest this step right before trying to populate a world.
Tip: When you first create a world, copy the GlobalLayer.layer somewhere and reuse this when you need to clean the globallayer.

Legend:
CAW - Create a World
EIG - Edit in Game
NRaas
Test Subject
#31 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 12:24 AM
This is fantastic

Simrealtor
Visit My Sim Realty for quality lots and worlds for your sims!
www.mysimrealty.com
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 30th Apr 2013 at 1:52 AM
Has anyone had any luck yet with the dang orientation/meet and greets? I haven't looked at this in awhile myself, got a little frustrated with it.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 30th Apr 2013 at 11:06 AM
I was planning on beginning an investigation but I got caught up and remain as such. I've mostly been making it a thought experiment though thinking about what is going wrong and keep coming back to either the string of code to make it a university world is wrong somehow or there is component missing to it. I also noticed last night while I was looking at the lot in the uni world that the student union was locked. I don''t think it is super important but it might somehow be connected. I guess the easiest way to possibly test that would be to unlock the lot then go send a sim to uni and see if the orientation happens. Also remember reading that some of the objects weren't buy able. Has anyone unlocked them yet?
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 2nd May 2013 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
Has anyone had any luck yet with the dang orientation/meet and greets? I haven't looked at this in awhile myself, got a little frustrated with it.

The scripting for the "Meet And Greet" is hard-coded to a specific Lot ID, which only exists in the University world itself.

It would require a scripting mod to associate it with another lot.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 2nd May 2013 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by twallan
The scripting for the "Meet And Greet" is hard-coded to a specific Lot ID, which only exists in the University world itself.

Thanks Twallan !

Wonderful information... a starting point, love it.

I will check the lot id info against EA's University World and see if I can match them up. If it works I will report back with that info.
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 5th May 2013 at 10:03 PM
Thank you Twallan. PWN, please keep us posted. I only know enough about scripting to break stuff. I'd been hoping to look into the meet and greet again later this week, that part has been driving me crazy.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:02 PM Last edited by PWN9483 : 6th May 2013 at 7:43 PM.
Thank you Twallan. PWN, please keep us posted. I only know enough about scripting to break stuff. I'd been hoping to look into the meet and greet again later this week, that part has been driving me crazy.

Should be mid May at the earliest before I can investiage this. :P
Alchemist
#38 Old 11th May 2013 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twallan

Can't it be done by tuning the <kOrientationLotId> in OrientationSituation_0xbfa7038a201037c1.XML? Just a guess.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 11th May 2013 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Can't it be done by tuning the <kOrientationLotId> in OrientationSituation_0xbfa7038a201037c1.XML? Just a guess.
I made a package override of that xml, and changed the lot id to my student union lot, and that still didn't trigger the meet and greet.
Alchemist
#40 Old 29th May 2013 at 12:19 PM
According to Twallan's revision notes in Careers, it is now possible to have Meet and Greet in other lots, unless I understood it wrong.
Test Subject
#41 Old 27th Jul 2013 at 6:26 PM
Have any new developments been made to the possibility of having multiple universities? I'm new to this stuff and want to ask the community before embarking on my own, potentially dangerous mission...
Test Subject
#42 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 7:30 AM
Default ?
Mine is not working?
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 12:31 PM Last edited by LifeJunkie : 20th Nov 2013 at 11:47 PM.
I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying anyway. A few months ago I used this method to get a world from SimRealty as a uni town. It worked and I have enjoyed it. However I've been playing around with the default uni town in CAW and want that result as a uni town. I cannot for the life of me get rid of the SimRealty one as a uni town. I went as far as re-installing University Life to get rid of anything and it still shows it as that one. I deleted all the University files in saved games and Cache files. Where could it be coming from?

EDIT: OK, so I got the MySimRealty version out of my game and went back to de default one to start out with. I did the whole thing over, but with the edited default uni town. But when I go to edit university town to see if it works, the game crashes and gives the message "The Sims 3 has stopped working". It's so annoying that I got the other one to work, but this one won't.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." Luna Lovegood

"It's lucky it's dark...I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs." Albus Dumbledore
Test Subject
#44 Old 28th May 2014 at 7:54 PM
Default I got
Hmm, I think I re-exported it without Error Trap (somewhere in there last night I removed mods again). I'll try it again today. I saw he updated a bunch of stuff last night, yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsyOQNkyMXc
Forum Resident
#45 Old 31st May 2014 at 3:10 PM
Since someone necromanced this thread, I'm now bold enough to ask a question. Has anyone been working on a medievalish University replacement?

Another question. Is it possible to tag an ordinary world to use bicycles only like in University (or China too I suppose)?
Field Researcher
#46 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 9:43 PM
I realize this thread is really old, but I have a question and maybe someone has answered it/knows what to do.

I'd like to be able to bring the concept of renting a property into the homeworld WITHOUT the random roommates being spawned by the "Apartment" lot type. I want a lot to function just like the rental house lots in the University world - the "off campus" houses.

Does anyone know of a way to find where in the coding this particular feature is, and maybe think of some way (via a mod) to make it a new lot type to zone lots as, so it could happen in any world?? If so, that'd be awesome! I'd be willing to try it myself if I knew where to start.
Inventor
#47 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:36 PM
From Edit Town you export the lot when you are in the UNI world and import it when you are in a regular world
(maybe also a cheat command is needed?). This should let you at least place the lot, if it will work as expected
is a completely different story.

You can override the "Venues" _XML resource in GameplayData.package with an edited version that removes
the world restrictions from the meta-autonomy tuning of the lot. But, again, if the "unlocked" lots will work on
worlds for which they were not designed is hard to tell (maybe they rely on features/settings only available there).

Custom lot subtypes aren't possible (actually they are but you can't assign them a custom meta-autonomy,
so there's no point). They can be made with a core mod.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
From Edit Town you export the lot when you are in the UNI world and import it when you are in a regular world
(maybe also a cheat command is needed?). This should let you at least place the lot, if it will work as expected
is a completely different story.

You can override the "Venues" _XML resource in GameplayData.package with an edited version that removes
the world restrictions from the meta-autonomy tuning of the lot. But, again, if the "unlocked" lots will work on
worlds for which they were not designed is hard to tell (maybe they rely on features/settings only available there).

Custom lot subtypes aren't possible (actually they are but you can't assign them a custom meta-autonomy,
so there's no point). They can be made with a core mod.

I'll try moving the lot there and seeing what happens.

The problem is that in other worlds the "Apartment" lot type fills up other players in the household that I don't want.

I've used the public/hidden markers to create an apartment building that 1 family can purchase, and then "Enable roommate services" from the phone to spawn NPC roommates. But I want to be able to rent the property, not buy it.

Could something be editing to stop the game from filling up the Apartment lot type with playable Sims?
Field Researcher
#49 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 3:06 AM
So I copied the lot from university and moved it to a home lot. It did not work the same...

I noticed that there is no sub lot types under Residential in the University world. This is interesting to me ...
Field Researcher
#50 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pjsutton
I'll try moving the lot there and seeing what happens.

The problem is that in other worlds the "Apartment" lot type fills up other players in the household that I don't want.

I've used the public/hidden markers to create an apartment building that 1 family can purchase, and then "Enable roommate services" from the phone to spawn NPC roommates. But I want to be able to rent the property, not buy it.

Could something be editing to stop the game from filling up the Apartment lot type with playable Sims?

what about creating an object that when placed on the lot, allows the property to be rented?
Page 2 of 4