Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 6:34 AM
Default Recolors way too big in filesize
So I have recently decided to try creating some recolors of Maxis paintings in order to create signs/logos/menus for some restaurants I want to make. I am using the SimPE Wizard to recolor as well as mspaint. But for some reason, the filesizes are always ridiculously high (1-3mb). I have been able to make a few that are under 300k, but most are well over 1mb and I'd like to make them smaller. I've tried decreasing image quality as well as different image types (jpg instead of png) and they are still too big. The Sims Compressorizer does nothing to the size either.

Does anyone know of a way I can create recolors without such a large file size for a simple recolour?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 11:29 AM
Could you upload some of the files so I can take a look and try to work out where the bloat is coming from?

It's also worth turning down your DXT settings when you build the images - start with DXT1, or DXT3 if you're using transparency, and only increase it if you get poor texture quality.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 12:07 AM Last edited by jtf04240 : 24th Mar 2017 at 2:32 AM.
I have uploaded the "Dunkin' Donuts" recolors. I have others as well, but I figure whatever is causing the bloat to these is also causing the bloat to those. I'm relatively new to recoloring and was using the simple "wizards of simpe" to do the recolors so I'm not familiar with the "dxt1" or "dxt3".

I did try and find some answers at the SimPE website, but the forum is no longer available (at least I couldn't find it).

Thanks for your assistance!

EDIT: My upload was rejected. Anyways, I think I figured it out (finally!). I opened up the recolors that I made with the wizard in SimPE and the selection of "raw32bit", I changed it to DXT1 and that dramatically reduced the filesize.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 12:25 PM
Ah yes, that will make a difference!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 11:36 PM
Thanks, though. If you hadn't mentioned the dxt, I would not have known where to look.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 1:16 PM
Actually, DXT3 will in most cases give you a better result than DXT1, even if there's no transparency. I've found that DXT1 sometimes gives a grainy result. DXT3 is fine for most recolors, and also works if there's a black and white alpha. If there's a greytone alpha, use DXT5.

If the filesize is still too big, you can use the compressorizer to drastically reduce file sizes. Not sure if the original site is still up, though.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 3:09 PM
I would still say you should try DXT1 first - of course, if you get graininess then switch to 3 or 5, but there's no point in making the files bigger than they need to be just because you didn't take 30 seconds to try the lower setting and see how it comes out.