Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:41 PM Last edited by EmilyClock : 8th Jun 2010 at 11:23 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
"...TS3.exe" -disablestoryprogression is not working. I cannot turn it off. *Edit* - false alarm!
Is this an issue with the latest patch because I'm fairly sure it worked beforehand. And am I doing it right - as I've put it in my title (end of quotation marks, space, all one word)?

I keep finding threads on all kinds of websites saying this problem was fixed with a patch, but I have the most up to date patch and I still couldn't turn story progression off! So I was still doing it like this, and now it's not working.

Please help, I'm scared to play on it until I know my families aren't going to get wrecked when I do. Thanks in advance.

*Edit* - Thank you Twallan for all your helpful suggestions, but I've continued playing and found that my favourite Sim has disappeared from their home - I'm praying they've just moved but I haven't checked yet.

Is there anyone who can fix my weird, weird problem?? Please tell me it's something minor like I've edited the target bar wrong or something! Story Progression is completely out of my control

*Edit* - False alarm! My game is now telling me my Sim hasn't moved at all. I'm going to assume this is simply because the first time, my graphics weren't keeping up with my mouse, (this happens frequently) and my mouse thought it was clicking on a neighbouring house. It is probably as Twallan said, and a device of the career system, and not story progression.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:55 PM
Since the patch, have you tried turning off Story Progression the normal way ? Via the Options menu in-game ?

And how are you gauging whether it is actually being disabled ?

Cheers.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 9:01 PM
Ha yes I have unchecked 'enable story progression' in the Options menu!

Well I currently have very few sims in my neighbourhood, but two that I have just moved in and not yet played have got jobs and been promoted in careers I didn't want them to have.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EmilyClock
but two that I have just moved in and not yet played have got jobs and been promoted in careers I didn't want them to have.

Were those sims unemployed when you moved them into town ?

The jobs they received, were they to fill coworker/boss slots for your active sims jobs ?

If so, that is not a story progression system, that is a function of the careers system. You need to provide them a proper job or the game will dragoon them.

Cheers.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 9:12 PM
Then that's what's happened! Thank you!

That's awful though. Is there no way to stop it? If I want a Sim to be unemployed will they keep acquiring other jobs when my active Sim gets a job? This would really disrupt my game.

Thanks
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 9:15 PM
If I want a Sim to be unemployed will they keep acquiring other jobs when my active Sim gets a job?

Once they have a job, they will stay in that job.

So what you could do is provide your sims one of the new Self-employed careers (added in Ambitions), or simply leave them in whatever career they initially wind up in.

Cheers.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 10:17 PM
Ok, one last question.

Do unemployed Sims acquire jobs *only* for the purpose of filling the slots of 'boss' and 'co-worker' for your active Sim, or do ALL Sims you leave unemployed spontaneously become employed, regardless of whether story progression is on or not?

Because I've just been playing and found another Sim I left unattended is now in the culinary career, despite no other Sim in town having this career. Does this happen too or does it mean story progression really is still turned on??

Thank you for all your help!
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 11:06 PM
Does this happen too or does it mean story progression really is still turned on??

As far as I know, that should not happen if story progression is disabled. I cannot think of a reason why the sim would have been added to that career.

However, don't take that as a sign that it IS enabled, as it could simply be that my knowledge is lacking.

Now: A new pregnancy, a marriage, or one of your sims moving to a new house... Those would be definitive proof that the progression is still enabled.

Cheers.

Locked thread