Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 8:26 AM
Default Come talk to me about college in the main hood!
I asked a question about this on the Stupid/Random questions thread and got a couple of replies, but it's pretty hard to hold a decent prolonged conversation over there, so it was suggested that I start a new thread.

Essentially, I have a sim (Ad Hart) who's currently a second semester Sophomore, and his pregnant girlfriend (Dawn Unity) is a first semester Senior. She'll be having the baby shortly before graduating, and then probably moving back in with her mothers, at least for the time being. Ad wants to go with her, but he also wants to finish his degree.

So, with Squinge's mega college pack, can he move home with her and finish his degree there? Does this work for sims who are already YAs in a college subhood, or only to newly grown up teens?

Can he also visit community lots in the college subhood, and does his semester timer advance normally there? (If not, he's going to take an awful long time to graduate).

I'm begining to think it might be better for him to just drop out and then upgrade him with the batbox after having him write a novel and do some teaching practice (a full week working as a substitute teacher), as I did for Scot Land when he refused to go to college but still wanted to become a teacher, like Ad does.

So, college in the main hood lovers, please convince me otherwise! And if you'd like to just talk about the day-to-day workings of this set of mods, I'd love to hear it to have some help making up my mind!

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 8:33 AM
I play YA in the main hood all the time, but I have never moved one from uni back to the main hood as YA. I thought Gummi said on the other thread that you can move him back if you use a teleporter and cheat the move in. I would try that. I would not drop him out without giving it a go. Make a backup of your hood first.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 8:48 AM
I had a YA adult move back from Uni to live with his sister to save on costs. If I recall correctly, I used the SimBlender to add him to the family. I assume it would also work for the cat teleporter or other cheaty tools of the sort. The only disadvantages that I recalled are the giant ugly semester tester sitting on the back porch and the constant backup.

I don't believe he was able to visit any of the Uni lots, though.

In my experience I noticed the batbox doesn't always assign the uni memories correctly. It's not a problem if you use SimPE or memory manipulator but it's something to be aware of.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 12:27 PM
Like I said in Stupid Questions, you can move a YA from college hood to main hood without problems. Using a Sim to propose move in I believe will cause the YA to drop out and age up, but if you use simblender or similar mods to add to household it works fine.

I just tested with another YA in main hood that I have, and walk-to function. University sub hoods do not show up, so it seems your Sim won't be able to visit college lots. I tested sending my Sim to a main hood community lot, and the semester count down does not continue (as it does with college YAs on main hood lots, no?). But I could spawn the semester tester again and re-start the semester. Don't have time to test how it plays out when you return from the community lot, but I should hope it remembers since the count-down on pop-up shows it going down.

If you decide not to play him as main hood YA, I have a suggestion. Rather than having him drop out and upgrade with Batbox, I would make him a townie using simblender, and then use syberspunks grow up townie-mod. It lets you ask any townie to graduate, and you can dictate what honours and which major they should graduate with. Make sure you have a mod to prevent him from losing his memories when you add him to the household. I forget which one people use, a quick google found Squinge's no townie memory loss but also one here on MTS with unclear comments as to if it works or not.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 2:34 PM
I don't think a sim can ask a playable uni student to move in, only dormies; and that guarantees a grow up on the spot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 2:45 PM
One way to take him to community lots would be for campus YAs to invite him along when they go out. If they put him in a social group, or invite him to meet them on a community lot, of invite him over and start a casual group, he can go everywhere as a visitor. Ad has a lot of friends and relatives on campus, and is not the only playable student with his major, so he could get quite a bit of campus time spread out among the lot of them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
If you decide not to play him as main hood YA, I have a suggestion. Rather than having him drop out and upgrade with Batbox, I would make him a townie using simblender, and then use syberspunks grow up townie-mod. It lets you ask any townie to graduate, and you can dictate what honours and which major they should graduate with. Make sure you have a mod to prevent him from losing his memories when you add him to the household. I forget which one people use, a quick google found Squinge's no townie memory loss but also one here on MTS with unclear comments as to if it works or not.

Yeah, I think I'll have to look into that. I think the fact that he won't be able to speed his semester up by going to community lots might be a deal breaker for me - otherwise it'll take him close to ten days to finish his last three semesters, by which point this baby will be in school already, which seems a bit rediculous...

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 8:40 PM
You can, it'll just take one extra step to summon the semester tester (testingcheats on, shift click, spawn -> semester tester) and set it to start classes to make the timer run down. But it's your game, you know best what solution works for you

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 10:46 PM
No need to take ten days. Get his grade up and use the college adjuster to set exam to two hours, do this for each semester he has left.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 10:56 PM
If you want any more info on this, there is a thread I started called "Community College" there's a lot of helpful tips on there. Can someone link it?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Aug 2016 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MikeJMW55
If you want any more info on this, there is a thread I started called "Community College" there's a lot of helpful tips on there. Can someone link it?

Thanks - I found it and had a read.

I installed Squinge's Mega College pack this morning, and tested it in a test hood. It seemed to work pretty well, although it took several tries to spawn the semester tester - has anyone got the link to the buyable one before I trawl through Mike's thread for it again? Apart from that, I managed to grow a teen to YA at home, and she wrote a term paper, went to class, and also I could make her semester timer run on community lots. I also confirmed that it's possible to move a YA back from a college lot to their parents' home and continue their education there, and also that once they lived in the main hood, they could no longer visit Uni lots, but, like Peni said, I can have their friends and relatives invite them to Uni lots, and can make the semester timer still run on normal community lots. I might need a skilling on community lots mod to go with that, though...

The only thing I'm not sure I can do is to speed up individual semesters without a mod which changes the length for everyone - Ad has three semesters left, and I'd like to be able to play each one individually (not just graduate him immediately, which I know I can do), but just quicker than the standard 72 hours. Any ideas?

Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 6:54 AM
InSimenator lets you subtract or add hours of your choice from the timer. Brings up the restock refrigerator menu and you fill the bar however much you want to add or remove. The SimBlender and SimManipulator might have similar options, I don't know, I haven't looked.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 7:29 AM
The buyable one is on Lions gold record thread (that lets you make a working dorm in the main hood) http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...&topic=12165.75 last post.

~Call me Jo~