Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#76 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 1:17 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 24th Feb 2017 at 1:51 PM.
It looks to me you have the age old problem with floor levels. You have to make sure the roof sits on the same floor all around, or that sounds a bit odd. If floor 1 goes up at the front it will be less room for the 2 floor. When cfe gets complicated you have to pay attention to the floor levels. Follow the floors around and make sure the roof sits in the right place.

A roof typically needs a flat surface.

No wait. I'm off here. In the tutorial they use the roof wall as the front wall to the garage and put a garage door into that? I just see a hole new set of bugs appearing infront of my eyes lol. I'm so good on cfe and knows how that works, so this is not how I would do it

Scratch all that. It wouldn't surprice me if you got a different result in a different game. I may be cynical, but I have seen things like that behave differently in different games. It might be different patch levels etc. After all a roof is suppose to sit on a wall, but you might get around it by doing it a different way. It might be that you haven't done it EXACTLY like in the tutorial, because you have to get around limitations in the game.

Edit: I think I may have done that before on a build where I wanted a balcony to be inside, but I didn't want to use cfe.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#77 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
In the tutorial they use the roof wall as the front wall to the garage and put a garage door into that?

Yes, that's right. And when the roof is added on top, the roof inside the garage kind of disappears, but not fully.
Perhaps I could try to add a foundation and one tile of real wall on each side of the garage front, so the roof is smaller, and doesn't go through the walls of the the adjacent room..

And technically the garage doors can be added with MO on, if the garage is on a foundation (a wall in foundation height). Don't know what would be the best approach here. Don't want to make something that will cause problems for others.

ThunderWoodSimmer
Top Secret Researcher
#78 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 10:44 PM
Oops, I posted the tutorial that doesn't use CFE, but is not for a second story on top of the garage. This is the one that uses CFE, but can be built over the garage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w90xq7FfAtk

Also, a castle can have a separate (detached) converted carriage house that is used as a garage. Then no tricks are needed.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#79 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
Oops, I posted the tutorial that doesn't use CFE, but is not for a second story on top of the garage. This is the one that uses CFE, but can be built over the garage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w90xq7FfAtk

Also, a castle can have a separate (detached) converted carriage house that is used as a garage. Then no tricks are needed.

Thanks, I'll check that out in-game in the morning.

The castle kind of isn't a castle anymore really. It is based on a real life mansions floor plans, so it's more like a mansion now.

ThunderWoodSimmer
Top Secret Researcher
#80 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCatInDaWoods
The castle kind of isn't a castle anymore really. It is based on a real life mansions floor plans, so it's more like a mansion now.

LOL- It is funny how builds take on a life of their own. So many times I had a plan to do one thing, and something completely different evolved.

Would you please edit the title of your thread so the first word is TS3? We are trying to get people to remember to do this so there is no confusion. I am hoping that a few threads that model this will help remind people to identify their game in their thread. Thanks!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
dodgy builder
#81 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 2:14 PM

I just saw this tutorial now, what an ancient thing! 2009, I'm just curious how you got to that? Is it someone you know, or did you just google for it?

LOL- It is funny how builds take on a life of their own. So many times I had a plan to do one thing, and something completely different evolved.

That is a part of the fun It's also much easier building a house your first time from a floorplan. There is still enough challenges in house building, but you don't need to bother with making something that has an interesting shape as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#82 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 11:33 AM

Would you please edit the title of your thread so the first word is TS3? We are trying to get people to remember to do this so there is no confusion. I am hoping that a few threads that model this will help remind people to identify their game in their thread. Thanks!

I guess that's true. But this mansion I changed on purpose just because the exterior I came up with just didn't sit right with me.

Also, apologies for the silence again, but I think I finally found a way to build this house with attached garage, no cheats used.

And I edited the title of the thread.

ThunderWoodSimmer

Page 4 of 4