Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 6:03 PM
Default Problem: specular appears only on one channel
I want to make two-coloured patterns, with a shiny surface. I'm using Delphy's Pattern Packager, newest version (1.4).
My specular is completely white and I unchecked "Use default specular map".

Now the problem: In game, only the topmost channel is shiny.
For example: I make a pattern that has a background (red channel) and dots (green channel), then only the dots look shiny.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is there no possibility to make a completely shiny surface and several recolourable areas?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 8:55 PM
It IS possible to make a multi-recolourable, completely shiny surface, but I honestly don't know what you're doing wrong.

I've been doing some experiments with speculars (and Pattern Packager 1.3) and they seemed to work fine, though brighter colours look less shiny to me than darker ones. And shininess looks different on different surfaces.

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift, that is why
We call it the Present.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 10:20 AM
I tried with version 1.3 but I have the same problem.
I also tried to make another, nearly transparent channel on top of the others. The shine is everywhere but the shine is nearly invisible because the channel is nearly transparent.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Killc*a
I tried with version 1.3 but I have the same problem.
I also tried to make another, nearly transparent channel on top of the others. The shine is everywhere but the shine is nearly invisible because the channel is nearly transparent.

I don't know if this can help you any, but when preparing a specular map for a certain pattern I always use the same base as my texture. Example, if I am making wood tiles, I will desaturante the original wood texture and turn up the contrast, the darker areas will have less shine and the whiter ones will have an accented shine.

Speculars are not that difficult to understand in my opinion (again, this is keeping in mind what I know about speculars). At first I thought they were difficult, but really, all you need to remember is that white areas will produce the highest shine and black the least amount...so just play with the in betweens of white and black.
Test Subject
#5 Old 28th Sep 2009 at 4:43 AM
Ah well