Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2011 at 3:27 PM
Default Make Needs Static and Autonomy
Today I tried out Make Needs Static for a household intended to make all household members' Needs locked. So these sims are no longer having the needs for Eating, Sleeping, or anything at all, and of course will never die to starvation, etc...

What surprises me is that these sims suddenly have no desire to do anything else. No socializing, no TV watching, in fact, they just stand exactly where they are with the occasional idle animations like hand clapping. Basically there is no Free Will left in them.

I am not complaining about this, however, I wonder if this is working as intended or there is something else I should know about?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 29th May 2011 at 3:36 PM
I think its working, I get that too where they don't do anything. Its so you can make them skill build and build relationships without have them stop everything and go "I have to pee !" repeatedly
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th May 2011 at 3:45 PM
"Neat" sims will not get bothered by dirty surroundings and clean something?

When it comes to working time, will they go to work? I haven't been able to test this because my household is all self-employed.

Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 29th May 2011 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
What surprises me is that these sims suddenly have no desire to do anything else.

That should not be surprising. "Desire" is defined by a sim's needs, which you have maxed and made static.

Without the requirement to improve any of their needs, a sim has no reason to complete any particular interaction, and hence do nothing at all.

Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
When it comes to working time, will they go to work? I haven't been able to test this because my household is all self-employed.

The push to work is not governed by a sim's autonomy, so they should still go to the rabbithole on schedule.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 29th May 2011 at 7:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by twallan
That should not be surprising. "Desire" is defined by a sim's needs, which you have maxed and made static.

Without the requirement to improve any of their needs, a sim has no reason to complete any particular interaction, and hence do nothing at all.

o_O

Yeah, because that reflects reality!

"I've watched enough TV. I shall now proceed to stand here for the next five hours. :D"

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Duck Defender
#6 Old 29th May 2011 at 7:50 PM
Pretty cut and dry, really.

Without the "Need" to do anything - why would they do anything?
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 29th May 2011 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CleoSombra
"I've watched enough TV. I shall now proceed to stand here for the next five hours. :D"

That sounds like an awfully boring existence.

You may want to break the "fourth wall", and ask the Watcher to restart your dynamic needs.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 30th May 2011 at 5:26 AM
I don't know if this was a glitch or what, but I tried doing the static needs for meditation, to get the hours up, but the amount of time meditating never registered. Yeah, even vamps with needs static will stand in one place till they burn to death, outside obviously. They get the want to go inside.. well fuking DO IT then!!

Go suck an elf...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 8:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by brillo_pad
I don't know if this was a glitch or what, but I tried doing the static needs for meditation, to get the hours up, but the amount of time meditating never registered. Yeah, even vamps with needs static will stand in one place till they burn to death, outside obviously. They get the want to go inside.. well fuking DO IT then!!

It reminds me of "Q" in Star Trek. They belong to a master race in the universe that has god like power to do almost anything, or at least this is how I remember it. These people just sit around in 1 place staring at the window ... because they have tried and got bored of everything in the universe.

Btw, "Make Needs Static" somehow spills over to my other active family as well. I made Static for this household, and when I switch to another, sims here are also locked into max Need as well. Weird.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 12:05 AM
I live on Static Needs mode! My sims do live their lives, but I am always making them work on projects like novels, paintings, romances, etc. that I don't want to stop to fulfill needs. But sometimes if I abandon one Sim to play with another, the abandoned one will just stand there. I find it to be irritating but at the same time helpful if I need that Sim out of the way.

I wish there was some kind of mode where needs would go down when you wanted but otherwise would be static. Like, they'd have their hunger need go down long enough to eat meals or birthday cake, or their sleep need go down long enough to sleep a full night. Just so when you wanted to make them act normal, you could, but you didn't have to deal with EVERYTHING all at once.

Maybe that's just me being a pitiful, wimpy, cheating Sims player .
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CleoSombra
o_O

Yeah, because that reflects reality!

Sims have simplified needs, while human needs are complicated. We have too many needs, and its impossible to include all of them for digital pixels.

This is one of the theories of human needs. And I believe if we managed to solve all of the needs, then we would be staring at the wall for 5 hours too. :P
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 6:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
Sims have simplified needs, while human needs are complicated. We have too many needs, and its impossible to include all of them for digital pixels.

This is one of the theories of human needs. And I believe if we managed to solve all of the needs, then we would be staring at the wall for 5 hours too. :P

I wouldn't. I would be staring at TS3's autonomous flow of life for 5 hours though. Yep, when I am bored, I just let them run on their own, while leaning my head on my hand to watch everything unfolds. It is actually a really relaxing zero energy way to pass the time, especially when you are too exhausted to lift a finger.

That is, until something like a fire starts up. I gotta intervene or sims just do the freak dance in 1 spot and letting fire consume them eventually without even knowing how to run away, what idiots.

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#13 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 6:17 AM
Sims actually have invisible motives that they act upon that they do when none of their regular classic motives are particularly pressing. However, by locking and maxing ALL of them, you've basically permanently short-circuited the sim's brain to "HAPPY!" mode. Interestingly, when this is done in rats, they behave exactly the same way, except that they can't actually be made to not require food or water, only to not care because they are SO HAPPY, so they just end up dying.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.