Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 10:01 PM
Default "laws"/guidelines in your 'hoods?
I know a lot of people play with "laws" or taxes and such in their hoods. I'm looking for something new to add to the gameplay so i was wondering what type of rules or laws do you have in your hood?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 10:44 PM
Hi, Octavia! I don't really have a tax system in my hoods, but I use Monique's Payees Notebook in order to have loans. Rich families lend money to those who are not so rich and need money to furnish a house or go on vacation or whatever. Then the family who got the loan pays it back in weekly or daily installments at a certain interest rate.

You can find this mod at www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=203984, in case you want to try it out.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 11:19 PM
Well, all my aliens must go to a certain subhood once they turn into adults. the main hood and each subhood has it's own dormitory. Only one extra sim from the main hood families, or their alien descendants each generation can settle into the mainhood outside of a pre-established household. Downtown is starting to get a bit full, might have to make a new one soon.
Banned
#4 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 12:11 AM
All my sims follow this law: "Do as I say."
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 2:35 AM
I have a charter of sim rights in my 'hood, and they're usually just in place for realism concerns. I have these written out already and play by them with a lot of money math to do in between. :P

- If a sim couple is constantly is fighting in front of their children, or neglects/hates their children, the children will be placed with extended family or family friends, or worst case in a foster home until they either reconcile, divorce and find stable homes, or until they're 3 days from adulthood. The parents have the potential to go to jail.

- If a sim cannot support herself when she has a child, (ie, she lives alone in a scuzzy apartment and works a level one job with barely any pay) the child is placed in care. The same goes for any sort of sex worker - have a child, placed in care. I do this because I want every sim to have a great life!

- A sim can go to jail for kidnapping, abandonment, rape, murder, attempted murder, domestic abuse, public drunkenness, indecent exposure, disturbing the peace, failure to show up in "court" (a fun little proceeding I do for the screenshots), not paying child support, not paying a mortgage, not paying a loan, theft over £1000, possession of an illegal substance and/or object (a virus, hydroponic garden, grim reaper phone, skill harvester or a cowplant), child abuse and/or neglect, failure to cooperate with police and break & enter. FUN FUN FUN. I currently have four sims in jail for murder, kidnapping/domestic abuse/rape, indecent exposure/public drunkenness, and not paying child support.

- Every sim has the right to assisted suicide, abortion, a marriage to any gender, the ability to arrange a child's marriage, adoption*, fostering a child*, a loan and a home (read: shitty tenement) provided by the government. *Unless charged with abuse.

- Sims have the right to leave their job at any time, but not every sim qualifies for a pension. If a sim retains their job above level 5 into elderhood, they qualify. Obtaining a job as an elder, or not being at level 5 by elderhood, means they do not qualify.

- Healthcare is NOT free unless you are on a program that you pay £300 a week for, and believe me, not everyone can afford it. Healthcare include vaccinations (£200 otherwise), abortions (£650 otherwise), pregnancy support (£750 otherwise), labour at a registered hospital (£8500 otherwise), a midwife (£100 otherwise), a therapist's visit (£500 otherwise), curing of a disease (£4000 otherwise, and in special cases even more) and pregnancy tests (£80 otherwise.)

- If you have stolen property or money, reporting it via phone to the police will result in your valuables replaced free of charge with proof of it being missing.

- Certain sims are glitched in my game and will never die (NO MATTER WHAT, believe me, I've tried) - currently, two old men, a teenaged male and an adult woman. I call these people the Eternals, and their job is to take care of the foster children in the community. They are exceptionally good at it even with Free Will on, and surprisingly none of them are Family sims. They can also get through any locked door without trouble, and never have low needs. I don't know why this is, but hey . . . it helps! :D

- If a sim obtains three abortions, they are no longer allowed another abortion for one full rotation of each of the four seasons.

- Alien children are just a nuisance to the genetics in my 'hood, so I usually either send them off to a special encampment where they can roam free (think of it as a war on Aliens if you must) with other occults.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Forum Resident
#6 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 12:26 PM
Oh, I have quite a few, and I think instead of listing them all out, I'll do a brief overview and link to the some of my full rules:

Less money. Sims have higher bills and lower wages, as well as mortgages and loans. This is to prevent them accumulating masses of money, but even going in to Gen 2 sims they're still able to get a fair amount. This means heavy use of cheap apartments which my sims are often glad to see the back of when they've saved up enough money. I'm tinkering with the idea of taxes still, though.

Every single career has education requirements. Some require a high school diploma, some require an associate's degree, some a bachelor's degree (the default Uni EP education), some a master's degree, and some a doctorate. Also, a sim's job depends on their LTW, aspiration, and personality -- this is partly due to certain skills being gained better if a sim is of a particular personality (i.e. Neat sims learn Cleaning better, Serious sims learn Logic better). Career Guidelines

University costs money. An associate degree costs $1k per year for two years, a Bachelor's $2.5k per year for four years, a Master's $3.5k/year for two years, and a Doctorate $5k for four years -- yes, this means to get a Doctorate to, say, reach the top of the Natural Science career, sims will pay $37k in total uni fees. Sims have three ways to pay: have the money saved up beforehand and pay all at once, pay as they get their degree, or pay afterwards. Paying afterwards means no money worries during their education, but they do have to pay interest on it. Associate's Degree Info, Bachelor's Degree Info, Master's and Doctorate Degree Info.

Job levels and level of education as decided by a sim's motivation (defined as their Active points minus their Playful points). A sim with +5 or higher motivation is an overachiever and can do anything in game; a sim with -5 or lower motivation is an underachiever and is very restricted in their education, job, and own business opportunities. Motivation Info.

Children. When aging to teen, sims are assigned an ideal number of children. This is calculated from their aspiration and personality (the formula is (1/3(Neat + Outgoing + Active + Nice))/Aspiration Bonus, where aspiration bonus is family= 1, knowledge= 2, fortune= 3, popularity= 4, pleasure= 5, romance= 6). As an example, a sim with personality 9 Neat/10 Outgoing/6 Active/7 Playful/1 Nice and aspiration Pleasure would have an ideal number of children as 2 (rounded up from 1.7; if the total is .4 or lower, it's rounded down, .5 or higher it's rounded up). This is put in to their ACR2 token and helps to decide how many children they have. If sims go one rotation with a want for a child but no one gets pregnant, I force one or two try for babies on the next rotation. If neither of those take or the sim experiences a miscarriage, they can have IVF at a cost of $10k per try -- this guarantees a pregnancy but does not guarantee against miscarriage. Sims can also get abortions, but I'm still tinkering with those rules.

All debt is handled using Monique's computer. Sims take out a loan for the specified money and, if it's needed for something intangible (like uni fees or IVF) it is instantly donated -- this way sims pay interest on their loans. If a sim dies with debt owed, it is passed along to (in order): spouse, child, parent, aunt/uncle, niece/nephew, cousin. If no close family is found, their debt is written off.

Sims age only twice a week in this rule-laiden 'hood, and as a result sims also skill slower. Aside from overachievers, sims can only skill autonomously or when they have the want to skill.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 1:38 PM
Sims aging twice a week sounds awfully fast to me! Normally they're adults for 28 days, children for a week, teens for two weeks.

All the exterior rules people impose on their sims make my head ache. The laws of Drama Acres are, for the most part, simply the arbitrary game mechanics. For instance, you can apply for a marriage license in college, but none will be issued until one of the pair has left college and founded a household. Head of Household has a much stronger legal meaning in Drama Acres than IRL. Heads of Household are legally responsible for all the members of the household; when Pigeon Hawkins moved back in to take care of the Old Folks, she assumed financial and legal responsibility for Ma, Pa, and all siblings still living at home, enabling Pa to retire. When Greg Aerius moved back in with his ma, however, he didn't assume Headship till she retired and asked him to. Lora Phoenix is the Head of Household for the House of Fallen Trees (even though she took her husband's name); the younger Tricou siblings who've moved in with her have, at least tacitly, accepted her authority over them, though they can move out with their share of the family funds any time. If, when her sister marries, she leaves her illegitimate baby behind, she'd have a hard time reclaiming the kid if she changed her mind. The senior member of the Greeks is Head of Household for all of them and the one responsible if the bills don't get paid. Students in dorms have ambiguous legal status - the college theoretically stands in loco parentis, but the household collectively is responsible for tracking the bills for the whole dorm. This is one reason it's desirable to move into a residence, with a Head established by whatever means the household determines; usually the oldest, but in the case of age-mates, generally one natural leader will come forward, having been the one to organize the house. This is the person whose name is on the lease.

Statutory rape laws are much stricter in Drama Acres than in the real world, which is why even kids who are fully committed don't touch each other when one leaves for college before the other graduates high school. There's one legal age for almost everything - sexual consent, use of intoxicants (all intoxicants; there's no arbitrary distinction between beer and drugs), voting, right to found a household, etc. And, as the Newsons prove, independent minor laws are surprisingly generous - Gavin couldn't have been more than fourteen when he became head of that household.

There aren't any public indecency laws. The Crumplebottom Brigade is an activist cult protesting this, in their disguise as skinny little old ladies.

I also invent or imply laws for story purposes when and as I need them. The Ianas are semi-legal simmigrants. I don't know how they achieved this ambiguous state, but I like the sound of it. It implies a certain amount of pragmatism in an otherwise stupidly restrictive bureaucracy. Ernest and Sage Ann needed a special court ruling on whether their marriage could be legally allowed based on their level of consanguinity. And so on.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#8 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Sims aging twice a week sounds awfully fast to me! Normally they're adults for 28 days, children for a week, teens for two weeks.

I think that might be a bit of misreading/misunderstanding. Aging two days a week = age increments by one on Thursdays and Sundays (as opposed to age incrementing every day of the week), the only exception being babies. This means they are toddlers for about 10 days, children for four weeks, teens for five weeks, adults for 17.5 weeks. It might sound long, but it's giving me plenty of opportunities to get to know my sims in a lot more detail.

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
All the exterior rules people impose on their sims make my head ache.

Speaking for myself, it's not too bad, although a lot of that may be due to the slower aging. Pretty much everything is calculated when it's needed, which is usually on an age transition -- I will say that I do need a few browser tabs/text documents open, but they're only open when I need them. The only ones I constantly keep open are the motivation levels (and what they can do) and my rotation schedule.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 4:35 PM
I don't generally have any set laws in my game, with one exception. By order of the (insert neighborhood name here) council of family affairs no family shall have more than two children unless they submit form 113a and ask for a waiver or if they during their second pregnancy they have twins.

Amended law: Due to the Crumplebottom Committee on moral abuses it was discovered that certain Sims were being advised by the gypsy/high witch to eat cheesecake during pregnancy to insure twins which during the second pregnancy was determined to be a deliberate act by certain Sims to circumvent the law, and so it is illegal for Sims to purchase or make cheesecake when a Sim is pregnant, or to given to a pregnant Sim. Sims who violate this law shall receive a stern lecturing from Mrs Crumplebottom and may even suffer corporal punishment via her handbag of hitting.
#10 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 6:27 PM
1. When a sim makes a mockery out of your personal honor (i.e getting caught with someone else) attack until all is right in the world.
2. You are innocent of all crimes unless it results in murder. That means Bella Goth throwing Dina through some shop windows is innocent unless Dina dies from injuries.
3. If divorce comes children MUST choose a side no matter the age.
4. Romance sims must compete against each other to break up the most marriages in order to get into the marriage breaker hall of fame.
5. You cannot sue someone who defiles your marriage as entering into marriage is recognition that you are allowing romance sims the opportunity to destroy it.
6. Super fertility (10+ kids) will either make you a god to some of shunned by others, just be sure to exploit your children properly in your eyes if they are successful in life.
7. Bisexuality is encouraged, you are only given one life screw as many as possible.
8. To mate with a mutant (i.e any supernatural) is to be known as a groupie to their supreme being.
9. If a serial killer is on the loose in town do not run for the door run up the stairs. You don't decide your fate I do.
10. Above all else LIVE life to it's fullest potential and slap that Crumplebottom back.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 6:39 PM
- My sims pay child support with a hack, this even includes the parents to a child being raised by grandparents
- There are higher bills with a hack and they come every day
- They are only allowed up to level 5 in a job without a Uni degree

- Public school kids get $10,000 put in an account in their teen years. Private school kids get $15,000. Upon aging to adulthood, this is their housing funds. The 20,000 the game gives is donated back. If the family does not have the 10 or 15 grand then the child must reside at home until that amount is saved in order to move out. If the sim attends university then their 10 or 15 grand collects interest and they can add any semester monies to it as they go. When they graduate this is their housing fund and the $20,000 gets donated.

- Aliens are discriminated against and are not allowed to attend Uni
- Sometimes there is a generation or so of population reduction where 1 child per family is enforced
- If a couple (same-sex or hetero) wishes to adopt they must pay $5,000
- If a same sex couple wishes to use invitro (women) or a surrogate (men) it will cost them $20,000
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MuletotheFoxxes
Well, all my aliens must go to a certain subhood once they turn into adults. the main hood and each subhood has it's own dormitory. Only one extra sim from the main hood families, or their alien descendants each generation can settle into the mainhood outside of a pre-established household. Downtown is starting to get a bit full, might have to make a new one soon.

I had a 'hood like that once! It had a bunch of shopping districts and every sim except an heir would go to a certain hood depending on their personality or if they were an alien or plantsim.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 8:33 PM
It's actually a lot more fun than I thought it would be at first. Just did it for organizational purposes originally.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 12:57 AM
Oh I'm looking for new game rules too. I like some of the ideas I've seen here. I've altered mine a few times trying things that did and didn't work out, but here's what I've stuck with:

Game Play Rules:
- Any sims aged up to teens or CAS sims have their aspirations randomized on a 1-6 dice.
- Any attempts at "woohoo" has a 50-50 chance for "try for baby" by flipping a coin; unless the sims is trying to try for a kid, then its always try for baby.
- Witches: Children have a 50-50 shot at becoming a witch if one of their parents is a witch; 100% chance if both parents are witches. Sims with no parents as witches but with a family history of witchcraft also have a slight chance depending on how far back their history goes.

Actual Sim Rules:
- There may be only one mayor. Usually when it starts out it's the founding family's household, and it's usually passed down to their eldest son. Once that family has been eliminated of it goes to an "election". Then it's passed down in that household until they are gone.
- A recent one I've taken to wanting to keep is the BACCs challenge of the military being a separate shopping district, and all the rules that go on with that in regards to housing and living there. I may expand that though, to make it so aliens may live there as being investigated.
- Only children of richer families may go to private school.
- Only townies that marry into my sims, or father a child may move into the community. In otherwords, no random roommate townies. It keeps the population in check and everyone has some kind of family history with the founding sim.
- The BACC challenge requires that your sims pay to build a college via taxes or a similar system. Right now I am tinkering with it, it's being funded by donations from richer families at this moment. It also requires sims to pay for their education unless they intend to join the military afterward.

That's all I can think of right now, I've got some more but I'm drawing a huge blank.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 8:15 AM
Some random rules/laws I've made over time:

- No cheats like motherlode/kaching or dragging the skill/relationship bars. Though I sometimes drag the relationship bars down if I want 2 sims to fight with each other, but never up.

-Snapdragon bouquets are only permitted to be used for businesses and if there is a baby in the house. Though sims can make snapdragon bouquets and sell them but never use them except in the conditions I've mentioned.

-Work on the junk car can only be done during weekends. That is a rule I recently made up as sims were becoming really rich working on the car.

-Shy/nice sims always get the family aspiration. Serious/shy sims get the Knowledge aspiration. Grouchy/active get the fortune aspiration. Outgoing/playful get the popularity aspiration. I don't give Pleasure aspiration much, because it has very silly and low power wants. Also, I give my sims Romance aspiration only when I want them to be immoral for story reasons. (only 3 sims have gotten that so far). Widowed/widowered elder sims sometimes get Grilled Cheese aspiration, if their spouses have died long before their due time and I want the sim to be kind of a hermit. As that is the only way he/she'll not chase after other single people.

- In most cases, I 'fix' the marriage of any sim turning teen. I make them 'go steady' asap. Send both to college together to rekindle their love and get them engaged and they get married as soon as they graduate. Marriages made thus are almost always lifelong.

-Sims learn skills and decorate their houses according to their personality. For eg: A nice, shy female family sim will be good at cooking and creativity and will decorate their rooms and surroundings with beautiful and soothing colors. There will be lots of flowers and scenic paintings. A weirdo wacky kind of a guy like maybe Vidcund Curious will have futuristic decor around him. He'll never learn to paint, but he'll like to use the Robot station or the Mechanical dummy from the Medicine career track.

- Many townies get killed or their name and appearance severely changed when one generation is over, so I can pretend they are new people.
That's all the various 'rules' I can recall now.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 5:42 PM Last edited by Deryn : 14th Feb 2012 at 8:17 PM.
Okay being serious these are the rules I play by.

Neighborhood sizes

The Principle neighborhood cannot have more than 32 standard families living there and no more than three special families. These special families can be Supernaturals (Aliens, Bigfoot, Elves, Plant Sims, Servos, Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, or Zombies) or can be families that are exempt from one or more of the normal rules for that neighborhood.

Each sub-hood (shopping district) can have up to 23 normal families and no more than two special families living there. Downtown areas are treated like the main neighborhood for the amount of families that can be established there.

Universities can have any number of students as are eligible to be in school, but may not mix generations, meaning that a full generation of students must graduate before new students may be placed in the University.

Exceptions: Neighborhoods with Supernaturals can exceed the limitations above only if there are more Supernaturals born in game (not created in CAS) than the neighborhood limits allow for because of in game incidents that are not player induced, such as Alien abductions that were not planned for or Supernaturals being spawned or created by Sims or NPC’s while not under the control of the player.

Starting Families

Each staring hood begins with the families in the main hood as determined above. These families begin with a bonus of 20,000 Simoleans (Familyfunds or kaching x20) which they can use to establish their family holdings, These holdings consist of a house, any furniture, decorations, and external features (gardens, gardening plots, pools, driveways, statuary, and cars) but do not include the purchase of additional lots (business lots, or vacation houses).

These funds may also be used to purchase additional clothes, entertainment equipment (including cellphones, mp3 players etc). Thereafter the Sims may not use money cheats to gain money, but must use in game methods to acquire wealth.

Second Generation Families and New families

The first born male heir of each family inherits the family holdings, and his siblings if male must establish new homes in any of the sub-hoods so that only one house per suburb has the family name. When this quota is filled additional houses with the family name can be added but distribution must remain fairly consistent.

Female siblings may remain in the family holdings until they are married or may choose to live in apartments, but cannot establish households. The exception to this rule are any lesbian Sims who are allowed to establish their own households, or single female Sims who have a male child. Second generation Sims who are establishing new homes are not allowed any bonus money that they have not acquired in game.

The only time new families can be added to the neighborhood that are not born in game is in the event that an Elderly Sim has passed away leaving a vacant house. In this case a new Sim family can be created for the neighborhood. This newly created family however does not gain the benefit of any bonus funds.

Family Size

Sims are allowed a maximum of two children per generation unless one or more of these births results in twins. These twin births may not be forced (by deliberately eating cheese cake). Alien Sim births count towards this maximum unless the abduction is accidental after the maximum number of children for the household has been reached.

Adoptions: Elder Sims, same sex couples and single Sims can opt to adopt children if they so desire, but are restricted to the same limitation (two children) that other families are subject to.

Special circumstances: In the event that there is an extreme imbalance in the number of similar sex children having been born in a single generation, A number of University students can be created in CAS when that generation enters University to create a balance ratio of male to female Sims.

Reward objects/Genie Lamp/Wishing well

Certain reward objects are restricted to specific neighborhoods. In normal neighborhoods where no Supernaturals exist only realistic or feasible reward objects are allowed (no money tree, smart milk etc.). In Supernatural or “Strange hoods” most if not all special reward objects become available. The genie lamp cannot be employed in non-supernatural neighborhoods, but may be sold. However the Wishing well can be kept in non-supernatural neighborhoods but must be treated as a decoration only in these neighborhoods.

Weekly Goals

Each Sim week a household must fulfill one or more Goals in order to advance to the next week’s goals, and if they cannot fulfill that goal they must try again each week until they fulfill the goal. The goals are as follows:

Week one: One Sim must go to a community lot
Week two: One Sim must go to a community lot/hobby lot, or downtown. Take the family to a community lot, or on vacation.
Week three: Two Sims must go to a community lot/hobby lot, or downtown. One Sim must go on a date or group outing. Take the family to a community lot. Start a family business or buy vacation home. Go on vacation.
Week Four: Three Sims must go to a community lot/hobby lot, or downtown. Two Sims must go on a date or group outing. Take the family to a community lot. Take care of the family business. Go on a vacation, and throw a party.
Week Five+: four Sims must go to a community lot/hobby lot, or downtown. Three Sims must go on a date or group outing. Take the family to a community lot. Take care of the family business. Go on a vacation, and throw a party.

University goals/term

Term one: Go to a community lot, Hobby lot, or downtown lot. Go to a University lot
Term two: Go to a community lot/hobby lot or Downtown lot. Go on a Date or group outing. Go to a University lot.
Term three: Go to a community lot/hobby lot or Downtown lot. Go on a Date or group outing. Throw a party. Go to a University lot. Influence a Sim to write a term paper.
Term four: Go to a community lot/hobby lot or Downtown lot. Go on a Date or group outing. Throw two parties. Go to a University lot. Influence a Sim to write a term paper.
Term five: Go to a community lot/hobby lot or Downtown lot. Go on a Date or group outing. Throw three parties. Go twice to a University lot. Influence a Sim to write a term paper.
Term six: Go to a community lot/hobby lot or Downtown lot. Go on a Date or group outing. Throw three parties. Go three times to a University lot. Influence a Sim to write a term paper.

Cheats allowed

Under general circumstances no cheating is allowed, unless the cheat is being used to solve a problem with a Sim or lot (such as using move objects to unstick a Sim or fix a game glitch).

Pets

Under normal circumstances Sim families can have up to two pets (Dogs or Cats) but may have as many minor pets (birds, Womrats, fish) as they desire. Families with more than two cats or dogs are treated as special families and fall under the limitations of that class of family.

Pets that are born to a family that exceed the number allowed may be sold to families that do not have pets, or can be given up for adoption.

Apartments

In Neighborhoods where apartments are available each Apartment building is treated as a single household when determining how many households are in that particular neighborhood, regardless of the fact that up to four Sim families may live in an apartment. This special circumstance allows for University students returning to the neighborhood to be reintegrated into the neighborhood If their numbers would exceed the maximum allowable households per neighborhood/sub-hood.

General Gameplay

Each household in the main neighborhood is played for one Sim week starting at 11:57pm Sunday-11:57 on the following Sunday. Sims in the family begin with maxed Motives, Skills and Fitness When first played. However if the Sim loses points to his Skills he is not allowed to raise that skill up, unless the skill benefits his predestined hobby enthusiasm.

Each Sim also begins with a job if their life time wish calls for one in order to achieve platinum status. Sims whose lifetime wish does not involve success at a job may work in any field and must use normal means (newspaper/computer) to find a job. A Sim who loses their job must use normal means to get a job, and may return to the field they had been in if that job becomes available to them.

During that Sim week a note must be made detailing the most significant events that occurred for that family and the worst event that occurred.

Once all the households of a neighborhood, or sub-hood are played, two terms of a University are played, and then the Sims of the first Sub-hood are played, before returning to University for another 2 terms. This rotation continues until all households in the neighborhood are played, and then it begins again.

It should be noted that once Sims graduate University they may be reintegrated into the neighborhood as detailed in the appropriate section, but they cannot exceed the number of households in a given hood unless that neighborhood has apartments to house Sims beyond the normal neighborhood maximums.

Sim death

When a Sim dies in a non-Supernatural neighborhood that Sim cannot be pleaded for or raised from death, and the Neighborhood undertaker must claim the tombstone or urn and deposit the diseased Sim’s tombstone in the Sim graveyard. This includes Sim pets that have passed away. In Supernatural neighborhoods, Sims tombstones or urns can be kept on individual lots (if room allows it) or can be taken by the Sim undertaker to the Sim graveyard. Sims can also plead for the lives of dead Sims in these neighborhoods If the neighborhood allows for the possibility of Zombie Sims.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 7:58 PM
For my Megahood:
-Teen sims are charged admission to college. Academie Le Tour costs $12,000, Sims State costs $8,000, and La Fiesta Tech costs $5,000. If the sim attends private school, $2,000 are lopped off the admission fee. (I wanted there to be more incentive to attend private school.)

-If a sim kid or teen is in public school, they attend a Simlogical school based on where they live. If they live in Pleasantview, Bluewater Village, or Belladonna Cove, they attend Belladonna High. If they live in Desiderata Valley or Strangetown, they attend Tumbleweed High in Strangetown. If they live in Riverblossom Hills, they attend... whatever the school there is called. I forget. Heh. Just because the school has "High" in its name doesn't mean only teens attend. It's just there to make the school sound more realistic.

-Sim children in private school attend Stilton Academy in Veronaville. Space is limited, because if there are too many students I find it too overwhelming to play, and that's no fun. Because Kent Capulet is the headmaster, I've decided the headmaster NPCs that visit sims' homes are members of the school board. There is a strict no-fighting policy. If a student attacks another student, he or she is expelled.

-Sim teens in private school attend Wensleydale Academy in Desiderata Valley. The same rules apply, but the headmaster is Rick Wrightley, Guy Wrightley's dad.

-Students are encouraged to sign up for extracurricular activities. What's available depends on the individual school's resources. Belladonna High, for example, has lots of options: Teen sports (basketball or soccer), junior sports (same), band (playing whatever musical instruments are available), dance team (ballet bars) nature club (bug hunting or working in the school's greenhouse), or art club (any activity in the art room- easel, drafting table, pottery wheel, etc.). I plan on having basketball and soccer playoffs between schools.

-Once sim toddlers grow into kids and outgrow their toddler things- cribs, high chairs, toddler-specific toys, etc.- they can donate them to charity. I add the stuff to be donated into one of the parents' inventory. Then I teleport in either Trent or Trisha Traveller (Trent is a pastor) and have the parent befriend him or her enough to get a postive reaction when they give them the kids' old things. The next step would be to go to the house of a needy family and have one of the parents befriend Trent or Trisha enough to let them give them the donated toddler things. I haven't had that happen yet, though... now that the Brokes are doing better I can't think of any needy families in my megahood. Maybe when some of my sims in college graduate and start families they'll need extra help.

-Rich, high-status families sometimes hold dances for their college-aged kids. They rent a big college lot and invite other college kids of their class. The reason for this, as you might guess, is for some posh families to encourage their kids to marry into other posh families. (Not all rich families have this mindset.)

-There are two political parties: the Pastoral Party and the Classical Party. The Pastoral Party advocates a return to simplicity... sims growing their own food, making their own clothes, etc. They're also strongly eco-friendly and pro-supernatural. If they're in power over a subhood, some of the laws they might pass are:
a) $5,000 fine per prejudice-based assault on a supernatural
b)$100 fine per use of a motorized vehicle that isn't eco-friendly
c) $700 given to households of 4+ sims to be used for a small garden*
d) an $800 grant to teens that max out either nature art, music, or literature hobby,
e) college students who have at least a passing grade and less than $1,500 per person get $600 for a garden.

*pays for 1 compost bin, 1 ladybug loft, 3 dirt plots, and 3 bags of fertilizer

The Classical Party takes family very seriously... either patriarchal or matriarchal, depending on the family. They believe in promoting left-brained activities and want well-funded libraries, schools, and colleges. Some want to restrict supernaturals and their rights, but others (like Mary-Sue Pleasant) want to support them and hate that others in their party don't. Some of the laws they might pass are:
a) welfare of $300 every Sunday and Wednesday if there is only one adult sim in the household that's employed with a salary of under $400 per day. If there is only one teen sim employed, welfare is every $500 every Sunday and Wednesday.
b) $2,000 divorce fee
c) $1,000 grant to teen sims upon learning either: parenting, fire safety, or physiology
d) fine of $4,000 if a werewolf is in public between 6 PM-7 AM
e) fine of $400 per dark spell performed in private, $900 if in public
f) grant of $2,500 to teens who have at least an A- and are in public school and either: have 5+ points in logic or body.

For my retro hood:
(Since I'm just starting out with this one, some of these are what I plan on doing but haven't gotten to yet.)

-If a sim gets sick, I have my doctor sim make housecalls. I teleport him in, select him, and have him make Grandma's Comfort Soup. After I unselect him and he leaves, I send money to his house with Monique's computer.

-Since this hood is a combination of the '20s through the early '60s, there will be speakeasies. Not all sims will be able to visit them, though. I'm going to limit the sims who can go with TwoJeffs' Visitor Controller. For example- no police officers, no pastors, no teens.

-Simlogical schools... I plan on having a public elementary school, a public high school, a private elementary school, a teen boys' boarding school with some day students, and the same thing for teen girls. I might put in a parochial school too.

That took me like 5 hours to type out.
Instructor
#18 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deryn
I don't generally have any set laws in my game, with one exception. By order of the (insert neighborhood name here) council of family affairs no family shall have more than two children unless they submit form 113a and ask for a waiver or if they during their second pregnancy they have twins.

Amended law: Due to the Crumplebottom Committee on moral abuses it was discovered that certain Sims were being advised by the gypsy/high witch to eat cheesecake during pregnancy to insure twins which during the second pregnancy was determined to be a deliberate act by certain Sims to circumvent the law, and so it is illegal for Sims to purchase or make cheesecake when a Sim is pregnant, or to given to a pregnant Sim. Sims who violate this law shall receive a stern lecturing from Mrs Crumplebottom and may even suffer corporal punishment via her handbag of hitting.

After reading that headache inducing morality thread that's going on right now, I'll say this comment gave me a much needed laugh.

Handbag of hitting...*snort*

Liv Loves Simming: http://livlukas.tumblr.com

Liv Loves LiveSimming: http://www.livestream.com/livlukas

Alchemist
#19 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 11:11 PM
For the main hood
Aging - toddlers, children and teens age roughly once a Sim year - so after all four seasons have passed. Babies age at the normal rate. Adults don't age until their last child is out of the house or the first grandchild (who isn't the result of teen pregnancy) is born. Babies who go off to college with their parents stay toddlers until their parents graduate and take them back to their main hood.

Education - There's no school in the summer, but college runs year round. Kids get summoned to the Community Center ( a lot with toys, games and skilling objects) once a week. The center is on a residential lot and doubles as a home for the Sims who run it. Private school is free, but you have to maintain a B average and gain a certain number of logic and creativity skill points to be allowed to stay, unless you're a member of one of the upper crust families who get into private school by default.

Sims who work in the criminal career risk getting caught and sent to to jail.

in vitro costs $3000. Adoption from the adoption pool is free. Sims can also arrange a private adoption; the cost for that is set by the Sims involved.

Sims have to pay child support if they don't have joint or full custody of their kids. Teens who have kids are strongly encouraged to let the baby go to the adoption pool or arrange a private adoption, because it's very difficult to juggle paying for child support and college. If a teen gets physically assaulted by their parent, they can move out and the parent will have to provide financial support.

Sims who need money can borrow it from other Sims, then pay it back with interest.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 1:39 AM
I've been going through and creating very strict rules lately. Here's what I have so far:

- Teens age up when they ACR says they're 18.
- Nobody gets married, engaged, has babies, flirts, or anything unless they have a want to do so, have at least 2 bolts or ACR trumps me
- Everybody gets a random event that I roll at the beginning of every round of play. This event does not necessarily have to be completed. It's really there just to give me something to do in case I get bored.

For regular primary and secondary education, all sims go to the regular school on their lots but when I'm on the teacher's lot the teacher brings all the students to the school where they skill and earn talent badges. Public school students must have 6 skill points and 1 point in their OTH in order to advance to Secondary school where they will require 15 skill points and 3 in their OTH to graduate. If a sim is in private school, I'm treating that like a "college prep" or "AP" coursework so the requirements are doubled. If a sim happens to fail to meet their requirements (unlikely, but it could happen) then that student has no opportunity to go to college and can only achieve an Associates Degree through correspondence (AKA: Monique's Computer) providing they can afford the tuition. That is the highest degree they'll be able to achieve, however, so their earning potential is severely limited.

See, I've also made a handy dandy little color coded graph for all the careers where certain colors correspond to certain degree requirements. Most of the level 4-7 careers require at least a Bachelor's degree (AKA: having gone to college and graduated) but the higher careers require higher degrees (Master's and PhD) which is basically just them spending money to skill on Monique's computer. Sims can also attend vocational school for $1000 for bronze, $2000/silver, $3000/gold.

I also have "clubs" that my simmies belong to. Folks in the Adventurer career track, for example, get together and go on vacations. Sims in Culinary get together and cook for each other or enter cooking contests. That sort of thing.

There's also crimes that sims can be sent to jail for. Assault, Involuntary Simslaughter (they're fighting, I roll a 6, the loser dies), murder (same scenario except the winner has a want of seeing the victim's ghost), robbery, tax evasion, etc. The criminal is put on trial with a randomly selected jury choosing his/her fate. Basically I tally the total relationship the jury has with the criminal and with the prosecuting attorney. Whoever is higher is the winner.

Divorce is pretty complicated to. The couple is required to attend 3 counseling sessions with the local attorney (who will have learned Couples' Counseling). $250 a session and the lawyer will attempt to repair the relationship. If that hasn't succeeded then the divorce can go through but it costs $5000 so if the couple doesn't have the money, no divorce is granted until they do. I currently have a couple in my BACC who don't have the money for divorce despite the fact that they desperately want to be rid of each other.

All sims pay taxes. Currently the tax rate is 10% for sims whose net worth is less than $150K and 15% for those whose net worth is more. Subject to change but it works so far.

Sims who earn the money rewards from owning businesses may use the grand total to expand their business. If they do not need or want to expand the business then they may take 10% of that money for themselves and the rest must be donated to the state.

I like making my simmy lives extremely difficult. It's more fun that way.

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect...Hungry
Field Researcher
#21 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by akksgurl
- Everybody gets a random event that I roll at the beginning of every round of play. This event does not necessarily have to be completed. It's really there just to give me something to do in case I get bored.

Just curious, what kind of events?

Also, I really like the clubs idea—I might have to steal that for my game.
Site Helper
#22 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 5:30 AM
You could use something like the "Sims 2 Random Occurrence Scenarios", available here:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg233944
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg234356
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 1:57 PM
Does anyone else feel like a loser because they dont have these rules lol? I mean I have certain rules like who gets the house when the parents die and etc. but nothing about jail and taxes and what not xD
Mad Poster
#24 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
You could use something like the "Sims 2 Random Occurrence Scenarios", available here:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg233944
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg234356

what do these do exactly?
Mad Poster
#25 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
Does anyone else feel like a loser because they dont have these rules lol? I mean I have certain rules like who gets the house when the parents die and etc. but nothing about jail and taxes and what not xD

Not a bit! Never, ever, ever let somebody else's playstyle make you feel like you're not measuring up to some ideal standard. You play the game for your reasons and they play their game for theirs. If you think adding rules is fun, do it; if not, don't. There's no wrong way to do it, except the way that isn't fun for you.

There's enough stress in this life without trying to keep up with the Joneses in how we play our solo computer games!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Page 1 of 4