Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
So how does this tax things work ? I've read it so much on here I'm slightly interested on putting it into my game. :D

Well however you decide you want it to really. The only way to enforce taxes is to decide how you personally want your system to work. Will it be a percentage of the total household funds or just a flat number you choose? Do you deduct them weekly or by yearly?

Once you decide that you deduct the amount chosen from your Sims household. There's a cheat code that allows this but it's escaped from my memory at the moment, you can look it us in the help section though.

Personally I deduct a flat percentage of the total household funds annually using Monique's computer (which can be found on this site).

Easier to deal with taxes if you play rotationally and if you have Seasons, spring time is tax time.

There is some math involved but it doesn't have to be complicated math if you don't make it that way.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 12:47 AM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 18th Feb 2012 at 7:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Firelira78
I've just realized that this means, there is no way at all for a perma-plat sim to have a Grilled Cheese aspiration? That is a major limitation of the game. Is there any hack/mod that can help a sim get a permaplat sim Grilled Cheese aspiration?

There is no such option even in the debug mode. Even though debug mode does have the option to give 'grow up' aspiration to adults.

what about simblender and/or Insimenator? i dont remember whether it did you give the ability to choose it as a primary aspiration or not...

EDIT: Insimenator > Aspiration Adjustor gives you the option to choose the Grilled Cheese Aspiration as a primary aspiration.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
Once you decide that you deduct the amount chosen from your Sims household. There's a cheat code that allows this but it's escaped from my memory at the moment, you can look it us in the help section though.

familyFunds [household name] +/- [money amount]? It does work to a certain level, but only if you've got one house with a certain surname as it takes the money from the most recently-created house (so if Alex Matthews has just come back from university and is waiting in the sim bin, if you try and tax his father, James, the money is taken from Alex instead).

I'm not taking my current played 'hoods, but one I used to tax, I taxed in two ways:
  • Calculated the tax amount, then bought items equal to or just over the tax value and stuck in the inventory of the oldest person on the lot (thus when they died, the items went with them). No mod necessary, although you do have to remember why you've got a helecopter and three different bars in their inventory.
  • Used Monique's computer to donate money. Requires a mod (obviously), and requires a round-up or down of taxes to the nearest $100.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Top Secret Researcher
#54 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 2:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by katya_stevens
  • Calculated the tax amount, then bought items equal to or just over the tax value and stuck in the inventory of the oldest person on the lot (thus when they died, the items went with them). No mod necessary, although you do have to remember why you've got a helecopter and three different bars in their inventory.
  • Used Monique's computer to donate money. Requires a mod (obviously), and requires a round-up or down of taxes to the nearest $100.

Oooh alright. I thought there was an easier way like a mod that would send you bills and they would be the taxes you pay

I also do what you do. Since one of my sims usually inherits their parents house I hate that they already have a bunch of money to start with (unless its a fortune sim) I also have the no inheritance hack for that.
Instructor
#55 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
A sim can go to jail for kidnapping, abandonment, rape, murder, attempted murder, domestic abuse, public drunkenness, indecent exposure, disturbing the peace, failure to show up in "court" (a fun little proceeding I do for the screenshots), not paying child support, not paying a mortgage, not paying a loan, theft over £1000, possession of an illegal substance and/or object (a virus, hydroponic garden, grim reaper phone, skill harvester or a cowplant), child abuse and/or neglect, failure to cooperate with police and break & enter. FUN FUN FUN. I currently have four sims in jail for murder, kidnapping/domestic abuse/rape, indecent exposure/public drunkenness, and not paying child support.

I think your ideas are fantastic , DigitalSympathies! I wonder if you could explain a little about how you enact some of these scenarios -- how is the sim charged with the crime, how do you run a trial in your court, how are the illegal substances/objects discovered, etc., etc.?
Thanks, Vllygrl

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 6:15 PM
Katya, do have the AL version of Monique's computer? is it the one on Simhighway or whatever the name of the site that was gone?
Instructor
#57 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 6:54 PM
I don't have a lot of rules, just a couple about death. When a Sim is set on fire by wrong cooking, I don't let another Sim extinguish the fire, and when a Sim is electrocuted, I always make they are die from that. Even if they survive, I use the inSimenator to let them die .
Forum Resident
#58 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
Katya, do have the AL version of Monique's computer? is it the one on Simhighway or whatever the name of the site that was gone?

Monique's Computer Updated for AL

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Mad Poster
#59 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:07 PM

oh sorry, i thought this was the child support hack too (or atleast included within he PC).
Scholar
#60 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:02 PM
Just one: Be nice to each other. Make friends and be nice. It's a utopia I know but my game is my world. All sims may not like all of the other but it's along way from "not like" to "hate".
Theorist
#61 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 11:57 AM

This is great! The one downloaded from this site doesn't have an option to give financial consulting.

On topic: I have a few pages of guidelines in MS Word document, but to summarize the contents it's about building a town from scratch in a more realistic manner than the game normally offers.

The game is centered around a rule that all prices are x10, that includes buy mode, phone services and delivery, community lot services like restaurants (e.g. sims pay x10 for food), bills, lots, empty land, etc.

The treasury exists to be spent for building lots (x10, so it isn't quick) that are required for the community: ambassy, school, town hall, hospital, post office, police station, etc. At first the coffins were mostly filling by taxes for education and bills (x10), burials and other stuff. But now it's all about the business tax, 50%. With recent businesses that can make over 100.000 daily the town's growth is picking up speed, and it's slowly turning into a business town. For me personally the most touching event happened when finally one of sims built a free community park for other sims to hang out! Before that they had no such place in the whole town.

Most rules exist to make the game much harder and more realistic, so that there was a real difference in sims' lifestyles. There are rules about which job levels sims can get depending on their education and marks, rules to prevent usage of any easy ways to get money, rules to prevent 'abuse' of game features like dating to get easy promotions from the motive boost and easy wants they give sims, and similar stuff.

To spice it up, there are rewards for sims handed out yearly (one year = one generation). Best Scientist Award for discoveries, Best Business Award for most useful businesses for the community, and Best Cultural Award for doing something prominent for the town. Sims get gold\silver\bronze trophies and a fixed sum of money (50.000, 25.000, 10.000). Thieves love it, they always grab the trophies first whenever they're robbing someone's home
Field Researcher
#62 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 12:47 PM
Since I just started playing sims in Uni again, I have a few new rules for my Uni sims
-Sims who went to Private school get an additional 2,000 Simoleons since EA doesn't include scholarships for it and I haven't found a scholarship for it yet.
-Teens who have a boyfriend/girlfriend always go to college with them, unless I want them to break up/cheat with another sim at college.
-YA's who have the Family Aspiration and a significant other get engaged in their junior or senior year so they can get married as soon as they graduate and start a family.
-If sims can afford it, they can move into their own house in junior year.
-Using a hacked ATM, parents put money in it (depending on how much money the family has) as soon as their kid is born. When the YA finally graduates college, they give the money to them so they can have a little extra money for their new home. Extra money is given if they graduated at the top/were in private school.
-Skill building/education comes before partying and making friends, even though I always try to have my sim make as many friends as they can so they don't have to focus on that so much when they're adults and they have a job.
Field Researcher
#63 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 5:25 PM
I don't have so many rules as above, but in many custom hoods (mostly themed) I play with Laws written in my head for those particular hoods. In a Victorian Hood some richer Sims were the Landlords of poorer Sims. There was a hack/mod on here a long time ago for that long before AL. Sorry, I can't recall it. This made my richer Sims richer and kept the money earned by those that had to pay a high rent much lower and kept them poorer. I was sort of playing Upstairs/Downstairs type classes in that hood.

I decide the story of the hood before I make it. If I make a story book character or whatever, then they must not behave in any manner outiside that character's personailty. I mean Superman would never lie or cheat would he? If a Mother Teresa type were in the hood then she would never keep a gift or sell it for money, she would give it away to someone more needy. Meaning I mainly decide what type of Sims will live there if they are evil or good, which character from any book, cartoon, or movie or anything else will influence that hood, and how they all will behave, and live out thier lives.

Most now must start out with only $100.00 and on a vacant lot with little aminities and they will have to have 6 kids and survive weather, and lots of other rules before they can even start to build shelter and if I do allow them to borrow money they must earn and pay that back in a short time period before they can add more, and only one can work most of the time and can't visit community lots.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 7:05 PM Last edited by Acadia : 29th Aug 2014 at 7:38 PM.
In my hood main rule is money doesn't come from nowhere and that applies to all free money and includes many higher challenge mods making bills high, salaries low and skilling difficult. I'm not using loans because it would do too much the same as base game does by giving sims far too easy start.
As only exception to my "no free money" principle, each teen or above sim has a "social benefit" of 100 simoleons per sim that can be used to pay their rent in extreme cases so they can be inhabited. Social benefit applies only if sim otherwise has no place to go or legal relatives so it's basically only for CAS sims, adult adoptees or sims that have been kicked out from apartment with no cash left. This is only because family bin or neverending youth doesn't seem like good solution either, especially not because I tend to synchronize my all families to same time with JM Pescados Sync Timer.

Children or toddlers don't have own individual benefit if they have living parents but if you "adopt" a townie child, you can raise another 100 simoleons social benefit. As summary teen and adult, adult and random child, or two adults can get total 200 simoleons. Sims without children (toddlers or babies) can team up with whoever they want to, but children cause mess so to be real nobody would probably team up with a single mother just to get 100 simoleons of rent covered. Those cases teaming up with another sim to provide for rent is allowed only with a good reason (if they are friends, also another sim has children, another sim has maximum personality points in nice, or they share serious three points romantical interest). For second time ending up to social benefits kids will be taken away.

And ofc sims who ended up on social benefits, won't be able to access other community lots than nearby food store, park and public library, and don't have protected woohoo, the most fashionable clothes, access to university or other stuff that wouldn't make that much sense.

How my system works practically

I have game modifications for no inherited money when sim dies, no 20k handouts when sims moves out, harder promotions, less money from various things, 10 times higher bills and what else... Together with those it's actually possible that sims from playable households end up to be ones needing my "social benefit". I use familyfunds cheat as way to prevent sims from getting crazy starting cash. For 8 adults family I simply type "familyfunds [family] 800" after creating them. If I later need to give money to a sim who shares same last name with too many and has ended up family bin, I move that sim to apartment lot that has apartments with suitable rent, add enough "room mates" (so rent doesn't exceed their total social benefits), rent one and get rid of rest of the money.
On the other hand I have also "Sleep on floor bad" hack from Cyjons for forcing my sims sleep at floor before energy failure because it makes perfect sense, Simlogicals shelf beds because they also make sense and haven't too great motivation boosts, and InTeen without chance for miscarriage because in reality mother needs to either have bad luck or go through way much more than some cleaning and cooking to loose the baby.
As biggest "advantage" added to my game in return of having lot of less wealthy sims who struggle with everything, I have enabled skilling and developing hobby enthusiasm at community lots because without massive amount of money in every playable household it wouldn't make much sense that only the rare sims that can affort to own football field, gym and skating-rinks are able to go for their hobby. And I use SimBlender to get kids adopted elsewhere sometimes when it seems it's needed, usually when adult sim ends up applying for my "social benefit" introduced above or a baby is unwanted.

Edit because somebody was cruel enough to press disagree to my post even it's my game style Despite these modifications most of my sims don't live in hell because I'm old player, amount of challenge feels suitable even without community lot skilling. That was added just for fun because it's boring if every sim has same hobby due to lack of space on their home lots, and since I'm not using aspiration rewards at all and get energy only by sleeping on home lot, they still have limited time for skilling between their work days.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 8:29 PM
I have no rules at all - I just play. For fun I do, however, rotate my households, play them the same number of days as far as I can (but sometimes, when I particularly enjoy playing with a family, I linger there longer). I don't even have a "Do as I say" - law - because free will is on all the time in my game. I have tried out various mods and got rid of most of them; the only cheats I use are 'motherlode" and"aging on/of" (I don't even use move objects, because I'm a lazy builder and as long as my Sims can walk around in their homes without bumping into each other all the time, I'm happy). I think if I have a rule, it might be to keep my Sims alive as long as possible. Because I like them
Mad Poster
#66 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:05 PM
Actually, I have a rule. No cars. My Sims just walk everywhere
Scholar
#67 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:19 AM Last edited by Lord St.Croix : 1st Sep 2014 at 5:39 PM.
Number One Rule: Do what I say, when I say it
Other rules:
All sims go to college (not because they should all be be there, but because two paths of aging would mess with things)
Sims are expected to pair off with a future spouse during their teen years or college years if another sim of the opposite sex is available
Romance sims are excluded from the above rule, as are sims who the story calls for to remain single
Though Romance sims are not expected to marry, they are expected to reproduce
Unless the story calls for divorce, all marriages are for life
No graves on home lots; it must be immediately sent to the graveyard
Money laws are lax; no taxes, no alimony. However, child support is mandatory for anyone who has a child living with another parent.
Due to the recent talks between the Alien Homeworld and Sim Nation, only sims who want to be abducted (i.e Knowledge sims) may be abducted
Scholar
#68 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:26 AM
Not that this thread is 2 1/2 years old, it is interesting...

I don't have proper rules as yet, but I do have "building regulations and rules":
-All buildings must have Sunshine Stucco all the way around on the outside
-All buildings must have a light grey roof
-No more than three storeys high (excluding an attic)
-All communal lots must have a bench and a set of toilets
-Houses and small lots, i.e a pub, have to be 2x2 unless you have privileges (then it can be up to 3x3)
-Medium lots, i.e a park, can be 3x3 up to 4x4 (privileges are not needed, but it is more pricey to run)
-Large lots i.e, apartments/hotels and shopping malls can be from 4x4 to 5x5 (also don't need privileges, but yet again is more expensive to maintain)

-Home business lots need permission to run and have their own rules:
--Must have a communal loo
--Must have at least one main room for stock to be sold
--The owner's furniture for living must not interfere with the shop (Beds stay in the bedroom, etc. unless being sold)
-Owned community lots, must have a bench and toilets as above mentioned, and do not need permission to run. However there are limited spaces, so shop owners tend to team up and sell their stock together.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#69 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:57 AM
I can't really think of many rules that I have, although my sims of my favourite characters, who all live in Pleasantview, are not allowed to cheat on or split up with their spouses. Aging is also off, so I suppose they're not allowed to age. They're not allowed anymore babies either, all their kids are carefully planned in accordance with canon/head canon! Oh and they all have to be best friends with my other characters, have the career I allotted to them, have their house exactly as I want it, wear the clothes I decided...............Maybe I do have a few rules after all!

I try not to have too many rules for my Strangetown sims, as I'm trying to play more like Peni Griffin, and let the sims decide what happens. I do have a couple of families with really bad genes, however, and the remaining members are not allowed to have any babies (it sounds meaner written down than it does in my head!)

I only have one rule which applies to all my sims-'Thou shalt not associate with the rabble!' (Rabble=Maxis sims, townies etc.) Any time one of my sims brings a townie home from work/school, they MUST immediately ask them to leave. If a townie rings the doorbell of one of my houses, they must be ignored. If one of my sims talks to a townie on a community lot, they are in disgrace! However, 2 of my sims have broken this rule, as they were struggling to find love, so I turned a blind eye to them going out with a couple of townies-I'm not sure if I'll let them get married or anything, maybe if they roll the want?
Mad Poster
#70 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 1:12 PM
I have a lot of rules Usually held in notepad or wordpad files. Here's a selection/list:

Ageing. I have a custom age file which I made myself and there are age limits for things. Sims may not date anyone younger than half their age + 7. (Townies can be any age within the age category they are) Teen jobs have age limits (12, 14, 16 or 18). Sims go to university at 18, if they are going, which is 3 or 4 days to adulthood, and they only intake on an even-numbered day. Each year at uni is one day in the main hood, and they can only live in halls (dorms) until the end of the second year.

Careers - I use the unicareers hack from MATY which I have customised to my game as follows:

The Monty and Capp families have rules in my Veronaville - things like the Montys value self sufficiency and are against concepts like hired staff, university, etc. There is a family business and acceptable careers are things like Culinary, Journalism, Military. The Capps OTOH have a family greek house at university, like to show off their wealth and boast prestigious careers like Business, Education and Politics.

I have rules for who gets which aspiration perks. The work perks are related to how long a sim has been in a job. Individual aspiration perks are granted by various means. Sometimes personality/hobby enthusiasm/interest related, sometimes things they achieve, sometimes it's just luck of how they are born. The "needs" column, they get one point for each of the following:

Sims should look for pets available to adopt in the neighbourhood rather than going to a pet shop. I have a list of who wants a pet and who is selling pets or expecting a litter and try to match them up.

(In my normal hood, not megahood) If a sim doesn't have enough money to rent a house they get a grant to rent a room at one of three emergency accommodation buildings - St. Sarah's house, designed for children, very bright with lots of play facilities, St. (something I forget!) which is eco-friendly and everything is made of wood, you're expected to help out in the communal gardens here. Or St. Lithian's which is really run down, dirty and old and attracts criminal types. It's literally a single room you get with a communal kitchen and common room, each room has a bathroom, but at St. Lithian's don't expect the plumbing to always work. You don't get to choose which you end up in, although without children you don't get the chance of St. Sarah's so families with children have a higher chance of ending up here than the bad house. I roll a dice based on the amount of places free in each house. I've had families of six squashed into the tiny rooms here. Even in the nicer houses they want somewhere else to move as soon as they can!

Some hoods are considered rural, so the career tracks available in these hoods are more limited. For some careers sims must move to the subhood they are based in and there is a "ceiling" of that career track otherwise.

At uni, I don't usually have skill items in the dorms, but only in specific major buildings. Sims must go to the appropriate "classroom" or the library to study those skills. They can buy items to put in their own rooms if they can afford and fit them in, which is rare.

I set the risky odds and the ideal number of kids in ACR based on these formulas:

Clothing and appearance - I dress my sims to fit their aspiration, hobby, career, personality and social class (if they are playable or live in an apartment). So for example sloppy sims always have stubble or a beard and unkempt hair and never wear white, active sims wear sportswear, outgoing sims dress more crazily or "alternative". Romance sims dress sexily, fortune sims wear clothes which look expensive, knowledge sims are more likely to wear glasses. I grab townies and dress them according to their stats too. It gives me an idea of what a sim is like when I come across them.

Finally (for now, maybe I'll be back with the contents of my RandomStuff folder!) sims in my megahood have three universities to choose from each with different degrees available, and different grade requirements from school to be accepted there.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#71 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:32 PM
I use a complex series of rules and limitations on occupations, etc. which can be found here , although I've tweaked them some.

These are in addition to the general rules I follow on rotations, etc.
Scholar
#72 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 5:11 PM Last edited by IrishA03 : 30th Aug 2014 at 10:56 AM.
I'm not sure if it's a law, but Don Lothario must have a child/woohoo with one new woman every week.

Edit because my Kindle spell checks the wrong words.
Top Secret Researcher
#73 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 6:56 PM
As I look at this thread and see my old posts on here it looks like this was the thread that made me want to start playing with more 'rules/laws'

I have to say, I enjoy my game a lot more with these new 'rules' that I obtained from Katya_Stevens. My game was getting a little too boring with my sims being 'perfect' all the time. Not to say you have to have rules to makes your game more enjoyable but it was helpful for me to move from control-freak habits. Now all my families are different from one another and have more unique story-lines and backgrounds.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 7:49 PM
I have a formal system of laws in Heimlichbourg that has to be approved by two legislative bodies. The Chamber of Tribunes, representing free citizens, can propose laws, and so can the Grand Duke, but those laws have to be approved by a majority of the Chamber of Oligarchs, representing the nobility. All these laws have to be written out as novels, generating income for the government- and my sims can sue each other! Lawyers collect fees and also generate income from writing legal arguments (novels), so it's a good profession, though my hood has only grown ever big enough to support two lawyers at a time, two lawyers who are constantly facing off in court and then in their off hours they're constantly drinking at the Fat Cannibal and making out in front of their spouses

Check out my Simblr to follow the development of the Grand Duchy of Heimlichbourg!
Mad Poster
#75 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 8:25 PM
I've remembered more which I don't stick to religiously but try to bear in mind when playing.

Personality points - I've tried to play more to these with little guidelines. So neatness - very neat sims can't stand mess and will clean up anything which it's possible to clean. They shower or bathe as soon as their hygeine hits halfway, they don't like to be less than optimum freshness. They always save leftovers. High - medium neatness will clean up obvious messes like plates etc even if they are not green yet. They might not clean up another sim's mess but instead get mad if they don't clean it themselves. They usually save leftovers. Low-medium won't clean until it's obviously needed. Plates will be left to get green before they are cleaned, counters wait until they are filthy, etc. They shower when they start to stink but not usually before. Really low neatness, I cannot direct to clean unless they complain about their environment score. They are happy to live among the filth and let others worry about it.

Shyness is mostly related to new friends and love interests. Outgoing sims will make a move, shy sims I don't direct to make a move and instead it's up to free will and ACR. If they keep rolling wants then I might do some leading up to it activities but it takes them a long time, generally. Shyer sims are also less likely to hire help and instead prefer to do things themselves and might be less likely to go to community lots unless they need to for some reason. Shy teens don't tend to act out as much, they don't sneak out and will only go out with permission. Outgoing teens are more likely to sneak out, hold parties, etc. Outgoing sims I usually build a space into their house specifically for socialising, and they're probably more likely to seek out casual sex.

Activity for me is about whether they are a "night owl" or a "lark". This is a simple numbers game - any active score above 5 means they have a set time to wake up and they never sleep past this time, unless they are ill or pregnant. With six points they wake up at 9am, seven points 8am, etc down to 5am for 10 points. I manually wake them if I notice or there's an automatic alarm clock you can set just for one sim at a time. Consequently, they tend to go to bed early. Sims on the lazy side of the scale go to bed on time to get enough sleep for work, but other than that they sleep and wake whenever. For really lazy sims I let them sleep as long as they want and stay awake until ridiculous times too. Sometimes I don't bother to wake them for work, leading them to be more suited to occupations which don't have set hours.

Serious and playful - I don't really have much with these, maybe I'll think of some! I imagine serious sims would never ever pull pranks or play games which aren't sports, and would probably be quite offended at the situation. They would tend to have more professional seeming jobs and generally be more conservative in their views, being strictly faithful, etc. Playful says to me - I don't want to fit the mould. I can be silly. I take things with a pinch of salt. This person probably isn't going to overthink everything. If something goes wrong they just move on to something else. They are probably creative and would suit a more open ended job than an office job, or perhaps don't see work as very important and instead make the most of their free time.

Nice and Grouchy. Going by the actual behaviour of sims here rather than the image that "nice" and "grouchy" conjures up, I tend to see grouchiness as being tough hearted, unsympathetic, perhaps cruel or selfish (but not necessarily so), whereas niceness is more akin to wimpiness than any particular kind of empathy - crying easily seems to be their defining point in game. So nice sims are a bit more of a pushover and tend to do things for others more readily - they always make group meals rather than single ones, that kind of thing. I also use this in dates - a nice sim, I open the date's wants panel and close the controllable sim's wants panel and play to the date's wants. For grouchy it's the opposite, and for sims in the middle I look at both.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Page 3 of 4