Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 5:53 AM
Default Custom Skins for TSM?
I just got TSM for my birthday! But I wanted to use some MTS custom content because I like my sims to be pretty... I know that I can convert TS3 hair into TSM hair using S3PE but can that also apply to custom skin tones? Or can I just install custom TS3 body mods with no worries? Or worst case scenario, I can't use any MTS body mod in TSM?!

Any info would be great. I tried googleing it but all the info seemed outdated and irrelevant. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 11:19 AM Last edited by doren : 22nd Jan 2012 at 11:30 AM.
As far as I know (and that is not very far) you can use custom eyes from Sims 3 but not the skintones. You can find replacement skins in the custom content/mod list here, however they mainly add the "details" (for people like me, who think that after 49 years they should be able to handle the sight of virtual nipples).

That said, I wish the darker skins - and the very light one - were better coloured. As it is most of my sims have light/light medium skin. The pale skin makes them look like a ghost.

I just saw that there are replacement skins in the General Durandal mod topic, with colours like purple or grey.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Piggister
I just got TSM for my birthday! But I wanted to use some MTS custom content because I like my sims to be pretty... I know that I can convert TS3 hair into TSM hair using S3PE but can that also apply to custom skin tones? Or can I just install custom TS3 body mods with no worries? Or worst case scenario, I can't use any MTS body mod in TSM?!

Any info would be great. I tried googleing it but all the info seemed outdated and irrelevant. Thanks in advance!

Word of warning. Most Sims 3 Mods will Not work with The Sims Medieval. Even the hair that has been converted has some problems. Bald spots and the hair is a little too big because the heads are smaller in TSM. Some have had limited successes with Grim's program and tutorial for clothes and whatnot, following the hair tutorial will give you some success with some of the hair, but just putting Sims 3 mods in your package folder will not work for the most part. Wish it did, but it doesn't. Not sure if it's true for skin tones. But I do know that furniture, tapestries, windows, doors, accessories, trees, wallpaper, and clothes don't work from Sims 3. If anyone has a list of Sims 3 Mods that will directly crossover with TSM besides the sliders, please post them in a new thread and list them. Please?

I like playing The Sims. I don't like to be played like a Sim.
Instructor
#4 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 4:34 PM
Skintones and meshes in TSM are sized and organized differently. The TS3 packages also contain several file formats that aren't valid for medieval. Even after a sucessful conversion of a TS3 hair/clothing mesh, there will usually be an issue with size, placement, and missing bones. These issues can be fixed,but it usually requires knowing a lot about making TSM mods. And, if you know enough to make a conversion, you know enough to make your own new objects.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 3:43 AM
You can create your own skintone like mine here. I did my best but it didn't turn out the way it's supposed to be, the head part doesn't stick well to the body on some clothes. That's why I can't share it, but if you're a better modder you can do it (and maybe even share :p)

Oh and you can also add "some" sims 3 custom default eyes like the one I'm using, some will cause a weird thing on the chin.

There's a tutorial I used to create that skintone. (scroll down to post 3)
Scholar
#6 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smukase
You can create your own skintone like mine here. I did my best but it didn't turn out the way it's supposed to be, the head part doesn't stick well to the body on some clothes. That's why I can't share it, but if you're a better modder you can do it (and maybe even share :p)

Oh and you can also add "some" sims 3 custom default eyes like the one I'm using, some will cause a weird thing on the chin.

There's a tutorial I used to create that skintone. (scroll down to post 3)

I'm currently trying to make an anatomically correct female skintone, but just using the default as the base with added highlights. I've never fiddled with skintones before, and it's never occurred to me to look for a tutorial, so it took me an embarrassing couple of days of trying and un-doing most everything I attempted before I managed to actually get something that looked like it could be saved.
You look like you've changed the entire tone as well as adding highlights. Excellent work, she looks really good. Would you mind uploading a pic of an example of the flaw you mentioned? There are so few re-textures around for TSM that I'm fairly sure someone will want to download it.
Is there not a way you can fix it?

I added eyes from TS3 when they first added make-up to TSM, it was an attempt to combat the blue-eyed bug, by putting them in the make-up section, but they were really huge, yours look like a good match in size. I like the TSM eyes, they have what TS3 eyes don't...they're expressive. I find TS3 sims kind of dead in the eyes, I make my fave guy in TS3 wear sunglasses most of the time lest he creeps me out too much lol I totally wish EA would do something to fix the look of TS3 sims, but this late in the series, I doubt they will
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
I'm currently trying to make an anatomically correct female skintone, but just using the default as the base with added highlights. I've never fiddled with skintones before, and it's never occurred to me to look for a tutorial, so it took me an embarrassing couple of days of trying and un-doing most everything I attempted before I managed to actually get something that looked like it could be saved.
You look like you've changed the entire tone as well as adding highlights. Excellent work, she looks really good. Would you mind uploading a pic of an example of the flaw you mentioned? There are so few re-textures around for TSM that I'm fairly sure someone will want to download it.
Is there not a way you can fix it?

I added eyes from TS3 when they first added make-up to TSM, it was an attempt to combat the blue-eyed bug, by putting them in the make-up section, but they were really huge, yours look like a good match in size. I like the TSM eyes, they have what TS3 eyes don't...they're expressive. I find TS3 sims kind of dead in the eyes, I make my fave guy in TS3 wear sunglasses most of the time lest he creeps me out too much lol I totally wish EA would do something to fix the look of TS3 sims, but this late in the series, I doubt they will

I absolutely know what u mean! I've been looking everywhere for custom TSM downloads until I just gave up. I had hoped I didn't have to go into creating some myself since I'm not very good with modding.
It took me so many hours to create that skintone which others would probably create in a short time or make many different ones in the same time. So as to not take any undeserving credit, this is a skin blend which I blended with a sims 3 skintone for which I'd first have to ask permission for in order to share. I thought blending would be easier but I was wrong.

Eventhough I could use this skin in my game, there are quite a lot of problems like I mentioned before. I am still experimenting with it to create an acceptable skintone. I'll try to blend in better, and with the other skincolours as well.
Some of the problems are: the cheek on the left looks strange because of smudging and improper blending and the as you know the problem with the neck. I have seen one of your posts before and I think you've had the same problem as well so you know what I mean. I ll keep working on it though (fingers crossed).
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 9:42 AM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 5th Mar 2012 at 9:52 AM.
Some of the problems are: the cheek on the left looks strange because of smudging and improper blending and the as you know the problem with the neck. I have seen one of your posts before and I think you've had the same problem as well so you know what I mean. I ll keep working on it though (fingers crossed).

If you use dxt1c instead of dxt5 that should fix the problem with the neck, (and if it doesn't try it with S3 instead of Nvidia, that made a difference to mine, even though it apparently shouldn't.)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 8:22 PM Last edited by smukase : 6th Mar 2012 at 8:40 PM.
If you use dxt1c instead of dxt5 that should fix the problem with the neck, (and if it doesn't try it with S3 instead of Nvidia, that made a difference to mine, even though it apparently shouldn't.)

lol sorry dear but I have no idea what you're talking about. Like I said, I'm usually not a modder but I don't know what crazies drove me to trying this because for a "slow" (lol) person like me, it would have to be insanity. I understand though that you're talking about something else rather than the nvidia plugin tool correct? I wouldn't know how to use it anyways even if I got it X3
Just to be clear though, there is nothing wrong with the neck when the face is on the original EA skin, the neck difference only happened with the other custom body skintone I tried to keep together. I guess "match color" didn't work on that.

Actually I blended a part of the face with the skintone as much as I can, then I played around with the hue to make it light up as much as possible so that when I hit match color, it would seem as natural as possible and less pasted in like on this picture. And then I would cut out a huge part of the face (or just select all of it and paste it on another layer on top of the original EA face, then rub out the edges with a rubber that is set on the soft brush and as big as possible to make it blend even better but to also keep the the EA neck so that it attaches well to the body without the neck problem. And then since the color is already matched, there is barely anything to notice, especially from far it just looks like the skin EA should have provided us with. I left it that way and discarded the body skintone. And btw, it took me a long time to get to this but the result is pretty ok but I only managed to do the female faces only. I'm sure if you find this method interesting, you could create much better.

Btw, do you really think it's necessary to ask for permission from this person who created the EA skin? Her creation is not recognizable anymore, especially on TSM because I would very much like to upload the skintones just to share. Btw, they only show up on the females because I didn't have the patience to do it all over for the men. But in game it makes the females look more softer and gentler, just like it's supposed to be so I don't think it would bother anyone. Since I don't have the update patches, I also made a seperate version for myself (or those who dont have them either) so that when I scroll the detail slider, it adds good make-up instead of freckles and a sickly looking face (I love the freckles btw, I just couldnt find a way of keeping them separate and what s the use of adding freckled makeup right!). All the skintones have different makeup that looks good on it, for example the albino one has pink lipstick instead of the the white one which has peach, and the darkes one has for example very dark cherry, something like that. I looked at the makeup update and I didn't like it anyway. For those who want to keep freckles I can add my own custom "details" on the skintone since if I leave out the "blemish" face, you would scroll to it and the face would revert to EA original. I can just create a blemished version of the skintone as well, just copy paste modify and save as the blemish skintone. Sorry if I sound too repetitive, I'm such a noob with these things. Anyways you could make a men's version if you have the patience because for starters, the deep pores and and rough jaw would be a problem for me anyways since the men wouldnt look as "manly" without them, I know the face skintone is basically the same as the women, but still. Maybe some will like it that way and I can still do it for them, no problem, just copy paste :p. So what do you think? should I just go ahead and upload the skintone in the download area?
Scholar
#10 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 10:38 PM
I understand though that you're talking about something else rather than the nvidia plugin tool correct? I wouldn't know how to use it anyways even if I got it X3

I'm using a dds converter, so can't comment on that plug-in, I'd imagine it has the same, and probably more in-depth options though. From your comment above, does this mean your currently using a converter too? If so the options panel should have radio buttons to switch to dxt1, which is what skintones should be saved under (learned this after much trial and error and loss of my own skin) It should allow you to switch between Nvidia and S3 as well. The Nvidia setting kept darkening my skin on conversion, switching to S3 solved this for me.
I still use PSP 7 and haven't seen a need to upgrade yet, it does everything I want it to. I'm not really sure what other programs do now. Can you view DDS directly in your art program? It should still have those options for saving if it does.

I'm sure if you find this method interesting, you could create much better.

It's pretty much the way I think I'd attempt a first try, but I kind of like most of the tones in the game, there are some I don't use though, and was thinking about attempting a full change at some point, at the moment I'm just highlighting the default skins and adding anatomically correct features to them, (I'd like to add that that's not normally something I'd consider doing .) My main problem is I lack confidence. It will take me a few goes of modifying parts of what's there before I'll get up the nerve to attempt a full change to the tone. Maybe one day I'll give it a go.

Btw, do you really think it's necessary to ask for permission from this person who created the EA skin? Her creation is not recognizable anymore, especially on TSM because I would very much like to upload the skintones just to share.

If you mean a custom content creator, then I'd say yes. If you mean the default skin included in one of the games then no.

Btw, they only show up on the females because I didn't have the patience to do it all over for the men.

I don't think it's a big deal to not have the same skin tone choices for men, gives more of a varied look between the sims around the kingdom as well. I wouldn't worry about that.

I looked at the makeup update and I didn't like it anyway.

This has been the first Sims game where I think they look much better without makeup, but I think it's because they're so natural looking already it's a shame to spoil that look.
I do use it occasionally just for a bit of variety.

For those who want to keep freckles I can add my own custom "details" on the skintone since if I leave out the "blemish" face, you would scroll to it and the face would revert to EA original. I can just create a blemished version of the skintone as well, just copy paste modify and save as the blemish skintone. Sorry if I sound too repetitive, I'm such a noob with these things. Anyways you could make a men's version if you have the patience because for starters, the deep pores and and rough jaw would be a problem for me anyways since the men wouldnt look as "manly" without them, I know the face skintone is basically the same as the women, but still. Maybe some will like it that way and I can still do it for them, no problem, just copy paste :p.

I use the 5'o clock shadow slider and beard stubble a lot for a manlier look, I'm happy enough with that, don't think I would do any justice to a male skintone. You seem to be going through the learning process as to what's involved in it all, and the more you do the easier it'll become. You should try one without someone elses as a starter guide, I think you'll be surprised at what you can do.
So what do you think? should I just go ahead and upload the skintone in the download area?

I'd still say not without permission first, a lot of creators also have the policy of not modifying their content in any way, but everyone's policies are different, have you read the creators view on altering their content? you might find you don't have to ask at all if you credit them? Is there any way they'll let you use it? It can't hurt to ask, the worst they can do is tell you to keep it just for personal use.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 9:16 PM
Default The male version
I'd still say not without permission first, a lot of creators also have the policy of not modifying their content in any way, but everyone's policies are different, have you read the creators view on altering their content? you might find you don't have to ask at all if you credit them? Is there any way they'll let you use it? It can't hurt to ask, the worst they can do is tell you to keep it just for personal use.

It's more defined with pores than the female one because I blended it with the original skintone. (I'll try to add my own custom stubble/slight freckles)

I havent received any answer from the creator yet so I'm waiting a bit and if I don't hear anything from him/her, I'm sharing this skin and crediting her. If she ever sees it and asks me to take it down, no problem.
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:34 PM
I was bored
Scholar
#13 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 12:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by samko2223
I was bored

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting that when I scrolled down =D
Great work
Test Subject
#14 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 3:51 PM
smukase can you upload there your skintone many members will be grateful for that please
Scholar
#15 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexanderFebo
smukase can you upload there your skintone many members will be grateful for that please

I believe Smukase already did.
I think it's just the skintone for the face.
You can find it here
Test Subject
#16 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 8:00 PM Last edited by AlexanderFebo : 4th Apr 2012 at 10:58 PM.
i think you should take those skintones and import to sims medival http://therewasnothingleft.tumblr.c...icrobotic-shyne
Test Subject
#17 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 10:43 PM
hey can someone say where those eye from in screnshoots ? please i would like to know
Scholar
#18 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 11:59 PM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 5th Apr 2012 at 12:55 AM.
hey can someone say where those eye from in screnshoots ? please i would like to know

I have permission from the creator to convert those eyes for TSM and upload them here
If you give me about an hour to gather some screenshots I'll post them very soon.

*EDIT* Posted here : http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post3824938
Test Subject
#19 Old 17th Apr 2012 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by samko2223
I was bored

Could you please offer this as a MOD? It would be awesome to have some werewolves wandering around my Elven kingdom! Werewolves and elves, living together: MASS HYSTERIA!
Test Subject
#20 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 12:58 PM
I've just made myself a rather nice light blue skintone which replaces the lightest white skin, but I'd rather than it as an extra option above and beyond the currently available skins- does anybody know how I can achieve this? I've tried altering the instance numbers, but all that did was stop the mod working at all! I am flailing around in the dark a bit here .
Scholar
#21 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ophidia
I've just made myself a rather nice light blue skintone which replaces the lightest white skin, but I'd rather than it as an extra option above and beyond the currently available skins- does anybody know how I can achieve this? I've tried altering the instance numbers, but all that did was stop the mod working at all! I am flailing around in the dark a bit here .

Maybe it will be similar to how they managed to get them to show separately for TS3 in the end, you could always try checking threads to see how that worked. It might not be similar at all, but it's worth checking in to as a possibility. I think it used to require a mod to get them to show...I say used to, because I'm sure I don't have a mod for non-default skins in anymore, but if I scroll with my mouse wheel the non-default ones are there. I don't play TS3 too often so my memory of what works and why is a little hazy.
Test Subject
#22 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 5:54 PM
Thanks for your reply. I've just been looking through various posts and the mod that allows non-default skins isn't needed in later versions of Sims 3, and also contains Sims 3 unique code that crashes TSM quite spectacularly! I looked at using the Skinninator to make a non-default package, but no luck there.

I think I shall just have to stick to replacing the lightest skintone!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 14th Jul 2013 at 9:08 PM
i think you should take those skintones and import to sims medival http://therewasnothingleft.tumblr.c...icrobotic-shyne
That's exactly what I did I hope you enjoy it. Oh and btw, the eyes I used are not those of chickieteeta, I just put flajko's directly into my game, they still work. But I think just to be on the safe side, you might want to use chickieteeta's since she adjusted them for sims medieval.
Test Subject
#24 Old 14th Jul 2014 at 9:59 PM
this are good looking skin tones id love it if they could do a vampire skin tone...... dont ask why
Test Subject
#25 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 10:13 PM
I don't own TSM, but I plan on playing it some day. To that extent, I generally try to find mods that really make the game a bit more customized. I'm not a modder myself (but, I'm working at it, with two mods in the works. If you want to know, it is a Custom Dragon Follower for Skyrim, and a Custom Mermaid model, which has been an absolute pain to import into Blender), and I was looking for a skin/morph for a half-dragon. The modding will be painful, but I was hoping of making a Half-Dragon character, being able to switch between a Human and a Half-Dragon form (meaning with both human and dragon aspects mixed together). It would be nice if someone were able to pull it off, considering that I'm already struggling using a Modeling program that seemingly sucks.