Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 2:25 AM
Default How is the sims medieval?
I'm a Sims fan, but I'm on the edge about buying the Sims Medieval, does it have enough sandbox gameplay to warrant a purchase?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 2:52 AM
It's pretty fun, but it's not as sandboxy as TS3 (the engine it's made with). It's mainly based around quests, and once you finish them, you have to chose another or make another sim of another class to do other quests of that class. I haven't played to the point where you unlock another path or whatever (other than "learning the ropes" or whatever it's called), so that's about all I can say.

If mercilessly slaughtering peasants is your thing, then it's right up you alley

Also it uses the rabbithole feature from TS3, but in a different way.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 5:49 PM
It can and will get boring when you have the next kingdom is open and you have to start over with lvl 1 again.
There is this at EA web site that can help you use the Sims from 1 kingdom in the next kingdom. http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5516778.page

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#4 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:16 PM
The free time after you finish an ambition is pretty fun, you get to just mess around with your heroes. You know, stuff like leveling them up to 20000 or going on a random rampage. If you'd like a game with a bit of Sims 3 and a bit of RPGs then this is the game for you :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 11:22 PM
How much of it is moddable? What are some of the best mods for it?
Inventor
#6 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 12:00 AM
People have made mods for it; there are some in the TSM part of this forum, but not very many. I believe people have also made hair conversions from TS3 -> TSM. I would guess that it is the same as TS3 code-wise, like I've said before, they use the same engine. I'm no expert at coding, so I could be wrong.
Space Pony
#7 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 2:48 AM
BEST SIMs Medieval Review video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F50xuorpn8
Field Researcher
#8 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 4:37 AM
It's pretty neat. I love how they don't tiptoe around alcohol usage like they do in TS3. Juice indeed. I have to be in the mood to play it though.

I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.- Mitch Hedberg
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 2:05 AM
Do the Sims age? Can you have Generations?
Space Pony
#10 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NightK
Do the Sims age? Can you have Generations?

They don't age per se, but transition from baby into childhood. Then if the parent (the controllable SIM or "Hero") dies, the apparent heir transitions into adulthood to assume the parent's role.

I say parent because in this game when a SIM gets married to a Townie (an in game SIM the game creates) you do not gain control of the Townie, unlike in TS3.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
They don't age per se, but transition from baby into childhood. Then if the parent (the controllable SIM or "Hero") dies, the apparent heir transitions into adulthood to assume the parent's role.

I say parent because in this game when a SIM gets married to a Townie (an in game SIM the game creates) you do not gain control of the Townie, unlike in TS3.

Unless you add them to your active family via TestingCheats, of course.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:08 AM
It seems like fun, but still I have a feeling that so much more could have been done. Why don't they do more with this game?
Inventor
#13 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:13 AM
It's just a spin-off, kind of like The Sims Stories was for TS2.
Space Pony
#14 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NightK
It seems like fun, but still I have a feeling that so much more could have been done. Why don't they do more with this game?

EA were scared off by the bad rep this game received from players. I mean it wasn't as Sandboxy as the main SIMs 3 game was. But I personally liked this game because of its RPG elements.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:36 PM
Default It's very good.
If you're expecting The Sims, you'll probably be confused or disappointed. This game is quest driven. I just got the Pirates and Nobles expansion and so far I'm pleased with it. Except for a problem with dirty spots on the faces of my pirate Sims, it's been great. No glitches so far (knock on wood) and the new story lines are interesting enough to hold my attention. What I really love about it is the way things look. The people, the clothes, the objects, the kingdom, are all "ridiculously good looking". If you like to decorate and create Sims this has plenty to entertain you. There are instructions here for using the same kingdom in a new ambition, so if you get attached to a kingdom or just don't want to start all over again, you can. The only thing that would make me deliriously happy would be a new expansion with more quests, but it looks like EA is done.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 29th Aug 2013 at 5:56 PM
This is still probably my favorite Sims game.
The reason I'm not playing it as much, as like all Sims games, after a while, it gets old.
But for someone who is normally loath to start over, it game me lots of opportunities to have fun and I spent at least a hundred hours in it, maybe hundreds.

Its a good game, that if they hadn't given up on it could have been outright amazing.
At least the modders have pushed it part of the way there. Definitely pick up some of those.