Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Tester Wanted: ★ Meshes for Rugs & Mats ★

by Numenor Posted 23rd Feb 2005 at 3:42 PM - Updated 4th Mar 2005 at 3:33 PM by Numenor : Added link to "no-shadow" set.

233 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 226 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 10
Test Subject
#26 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 6:53 PM
All right now I'm confused how do I actually replace the texture image. I have no idea how to work anything. I got up to step 4 and after that I got lost. I see all those numbers and letters and I get completely lost. I am using SimPE 19. Can someone please help? I would really like to make recolors.
Field Researcher
#27 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 7:11 PM
Sorry, I assumed most people here know how to recolor! Just give me a sec here.
Test Subject
#28 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 7:16 PM Last edited by grizzlibaer : 23rd Feb 2005 at 7:30 PM.
Hi,
its easy.
Step 5.
Click on "Texture Image" and than click on "Plugin View" (i mean thats right in Englisch) - You can see the Texture. Rightclick on the Texture --> Export
Now you can change the Grafik of this Texture . After that go back to SimPE and rightclick on Texture --> Import (choose your Texture - It must be a .png-File!).

IMPORTANT: One Step I forgot --> 2nd right click on the Image and click on "Update oll Size" !!

click COMMIT / SAVE
You are ready

PS: i hope my Englisch is not to bad for unterstanding

greets grizzli

Quote: Originally posted by Lost_In_Wonderland
All right now I'm confused how do I actually replace the texture image. I have no idea how to work anything. I got up to step 4 and after that I got lost. I see all those numbers and letters and I get completely lost. I am using SimPE 19. Can someone please help? I would really like to make recolors.

I am not perfect in English - *sorry* - I try to improve :)
Test Subject
#29 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 7:22 PM
Have you thought about making the rug as a plane instead of a box? That way people could make rugs of any shape without the jagged edges I see in the pictures of the toilet mat just by adding an alpha channel.

I didn't do it myself because I think you guys already did a wonderful job and I didn't want to clutter the the test section.

Divadice
Field Researcher
#30 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 7:28 PM Last edited by windkeeper : 23rd Feb 2005 at 7:33 PM.
To Lost_In_Wonderland

I was hoping to find a quick tut, no luck. But basically, that's it. Thanks, grizzlibaer! Only one step is missing. Let me clarify that for you:

a) Click on "Texture Image" in Filetypes; highlight "Texture Image" in Packaged Files; click on "Plugin View" tab. You should see the old texture now.

b) Right click on it and select "Export". It exports the texture as a PNG file. That's the one you edit with your graphic editor.

c) Back in SimPE right-click on the texture again and click "Import" to import your modified png file back. You shoud see your new texture now.

d) Right click on it again and select "Update All sizes".

e) Click "Commit" button and then File / Save.

Done!
Field Researcher
#31 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by divadice29
Have you thought about making the rug as a plane instead of a box? That way people could make rugs of any shape without the jagged edges I see in the pictures of the toilet mat just by adding an alpha channel.

I didn't do it myself because I think you guys already did a wonderful job and I didn't want to clutter the the test section.

Divadice

You don't need a plane rug for that. The current rugs will do just fine. Jagged edges are most probably because the alpha file is not blurred.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by windkeeper
Attached are a few more recolors from me. I did them to test Numenor's rug. And you can see from the picture, it works just fine!

Wind

I can confirm that Numenor's 2x1 works great with all of the rectangle rugs...but I'm thinking when he said some of them may look a little weird, he might have been referring to 3x4s that are reshaped with the alpha adjustments. When I change the shape of the 3x4, it looks great in the 2x3, but definitely gets cropped in the 2x1...here's a pic of how my oval floral rug and round yin yang rug get the sides cut off in the 2x1. I guess people just need to know that if they delete the 2x1 if they don't like it, that they will also lose the 2x3 and 3x4 versions. I know Numenor mentions that in his description...I just hope people remember it ;-)
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#33 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 8:50 PM
Windkeeper: Attached are a few more recolors from me. I did them to test Numenor's rug. And you can see from the picture, it works just fine!

STOP THE MADNESS! Okay, at least stop mine. Betty has me in a padded cell now. Of course, it is decorated with all of your rug designs!

EDIT: Just when I thougt it was safe to go back in the game! Linda, OMG, so cool!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
IMPORTANT: has come to our attention that on an external site has been posted a "recolour" for some of these rugs that actually are clones of them. This can lead to conflicts, resulting in having "invisible" rugs in the catalog and in the game. If this happens, use the Clean Installer in order to spot the clones (if you need assistance, you're welcome to ask for help).

Ok...I, for one, would REALLY like to know which site this is. I have NO problems at all putting a warning on my own site that says DON'T DOWNLOAD RUGS FROM THIS SITE

If people can't take the time to make their stuff compliant with the rest of us, I feel people should know this.
Test Subject
#35 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 9:06 PM Last edited by divadice29 : 23rd Feb 2005 at 9:18 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by windkeeper
You don't need a plane rug for that. The current rugs will do just fine. Jagged edges are most probably because the alpha file is not blurred.

take a look at this close up of the toilet mat

Look in the red circle, that is jagged bucause of the mesh not a jagged alpha.
Now look at the green circles, if you take a look the colour changes. That is because the engin can't interpret the mesh correctly. Both problems would be solved by using a simple square or regtangular plane. Another thing is, if you wanted to mesh some really odd shape the polycount would be insane, in my oppinion even a 6 sided box is to much since it is a flat object. keep in mind this is game graphics, the polycount should be as low as possible.
Using planes would also minimize the catalogue space used, because every new shape would be a recolour of one of maybe 5 or 6 original rugs.

DivaDice29
Forum Resident
#36 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 9:09 PM
I was just at Sims Expo. Sargantana does an amazing job of culling great finds from so many Sites. There are a lot of Sites showing rugs now and I just simply twitched as I went past them actually refusing to add to my rug collection not knowing if they would hurt the marvelous work done by Wind, Il Magnifico, Donna, Linda and the great Echo. Poohbah. I am still twitching.
Inventor
#37 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 9:21 PM
Great work everyone. Now a few of my most favourite objects can all be found in the one thread. So much easier. Thanks.
Test Subject
#38 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 10:33 PM
This is great! Cheers to the rug-makers!
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 10:34 PM
I just wish I had the time to download all the beautiful rugs I'm seeing, and if I saw the site that Jinyc mentioned, I bet I'd twitch too!

Well done, Echo, Windkeeper, and Numenor.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 10:38 PM Last edited by windkeeper : 23rd Feb 2005 at 10:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by divadice29
take a look at this close up of the toilet mat
Look in the red circle, that is jagged bucause of the mesh not a jagged alpha.
Now look at the green circles, if you take a look the colour changes. That is because the engin can't interpret the mesh correctly. Both problems would be solved by using a simple square or regtangular plane. Another thing is, if you wanted to mesh some really odd shape the polycount would be insane, in my oppinion even a 6 sided box is to much since it is a flat object. keep in mind this is game graphics, the polycount should be as low as possible.
Using planes would also minimize the catalogue space used, because every new shape would be a recolour of one of maybe 5 or 6 original rugs.

DivaDice29

As I was saying in another thread, it's the matter of personal preference. You can take 2x1 rug, apply alpha to it and create your perfectly flat toilet mat with no jagged edges and even shadows.

I just prefer 3D looking rugs and mats . For some reason to me making plane rug underminds (sp?) the whole 3d object making process, lol. I was concern about those shadows before I tried the mat in the game - they are mosly not visible.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 10:49 PM
Thank you - ECHO, Numenor, & Windkeeper! I am using these in my game and they are awesome! They look perfect! I worship all of you who are now creating new objects for TS2! Most of them are absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you again! It is much appreciated!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#42 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 1:45 AM
Hey DivaDice29

I did consider making the rugs a flat plane, but in my mind's eye they looked no different than the floortile based rugs - essentially, I thought they looked like painted on floors rather than a rug placed on a surface. Thanks for your thoughts though
Mesh Maestro
#43 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 2:26 AM
Wow Great job all of you.... Thanks for you efforts and sharing...
Field Researcher
#44 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 2:29 AM Last edited by windkeeper : 24th Feb 2005 at 3:11 AM.
OMG! Echo! I think I fixed it!! The changing shadows on your mat! *bouncing* Thanks to DivaDice29, who made me wonder, lol!

*Edit* removed the attachment. I'm going to try the same fix for the other files and send you files after :D

*Edit again* never mind, the other rugs did not improve much, but the toilet mat - big difference! The file is in the mail :D
Screenshots
Test Subject
#45 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 3:02 AM Last edited by divadice29 : 24th Feb 2005 at 3:07 AM.
Echo and windkeeper I understand your points about the added thickness,but in my opinion it is a lot of extra mesh to add for a very little effect, I like the idea of the rugs because it is more versatile than making rugs of floortiles because you can get what ever shape you want on what ever surface you want just thinking about the amount of different floortiles that would take makes me dizzy. Essentially rugs will cut the number of floortiles you will have to load into the game down alot. Thats very good but if we make every new shape as a different mesh its gonna make a lot of mess in the catalouge anyway and I think it kind of ruins some of the idea. Completly flat rugs may not look different from floortiles at first glace but they are at least as versatile as boxed rugs, maybe even more, and they cause less stress on the game engin so, in my opinion they are still the better choice.

DivaDice

edited to add:
Windkeeper what did you do to fix them?
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 5:45 AM
oh...and just so jinyc doesn't think I forgot him....I *am* working on that doormat idea....here's a start...but as you can see, it still needs some work LOL

but, it's on my to-do list, I promise.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#47 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 6:31 AM
Thank you grizzli and windkeeper. I am now *finally* able to go try my hand at recolors. Hopefully I make something worth downloading.
Test Subject
#48 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 8:01 AM Last edited by grizzlibaer : 24th Feb 2005 at 8:19 AM.
hi,

I still don't know how to clone the object so can you make a 1x1 rug (preferable pieces the fit together without gaps - like a carpet runner ...) - standalone with its own texture! Please :bow: - its really very important for me.

greets grizzli

I am not perfect in English - *sorry* - I try to improve :)
Forum Resident
#49 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 8:12 AM
So, for your classier sims, here's an authentic collection of antique rugs, thanks to Leslie :-)

You know, this is like sneaking booze or drugs into rehab! :banned: These rugs are better than basket weaving! I guess a Betty cure for me is a hopeless dream! :smash:

Linda, I love the look of the door mat and can't wait for it to be finished. Thank you!

Joey
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 9:08 AM Last edited by Numenor : 24th Feb 2005 at 1:46 PM. Reason: Recolour moved to the "Rug recolours thread"
Good news! Echo has created (as per request, eheheh! ) a lovely little Door Mat that is perfectly suitable for 1-tile doors.
The package has been added to the first post.

Like all the other rugs, I've modified this package to be compliant with the new "EP2" format; it is recolourable as a stand-alone object (i.e. it uses its own textures).

Thank you Echo!!!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Page 2 of 10