Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 12:43 AM Last edited by Pygsmyemm : 22nd Sep 2014 at 1:27 AM.
Default Custom university going into build mode
So i can't play my custom university... i don't know what i've done wrong... i added the right doors to the doors... i moved my sim into it and then i go to play and it just loads up into build mode :\ is there anything i may of not added? or do you have to do a certain thing to play the university?.it says also to select a list of names and select my sim in wikipedia but her name isn't in there :\ so confused... she's in the student bin though.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 12:51 AM
I don't have enough information to tell what you did, so there's no way to tell what you did wrong. Could you be a little more detailed?

If she's in the student bin, all you should have to do is move her into a dorm, or a residence she can afford, from the neighborhood screen, just like anywhere else. You only need to select anybody off of a list when you're moving teens into the student bin from Neighborhood view.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 1:08 AM
I moved her from her parents house, a taxi picked her up like it should, she went into the student bin so i moved her in, i tried to play the university but it went into build mode instead of playing, i changed the lot zoning to dorm when i finished building my university so it's the right zone type, do you need to move in other students before you move your own sims inside?. She is a teenager too.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 1:42 AM
She won't grow up till she lands in a house, so that's all right, You should be able to start with any student in the lot bin. It sounds like you must have screwed that dorm up someway. You still have any premade dorms in your lot bin? If so, place that and move her in. If that works, the problem's limited to your dorm. If not, the problem is your university. Either way, that will give you a starting point. Good luck.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 1:48 AM
Maybe it's an object i haven't added? or i have added into it? what can't you have into unis? and do they need some sort of check-in for it to work?.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 2:00 AM
No, no check-in needed, no special objects. Maybe you just typed in the code wrong and only thought you had the lot zoning changed properly. It's not like an apartment, where you can tell it worked because the mailbox changes.

Back up your game and start testing, starting with moving her into a residence she can afford (an empty lot will do) to make sure the University's working. There's no point in guessing. Only testing will tell you what happened.

If this is your first time playing University, perhaps you should experiment with a premade one (in a test hood if you really don't want the premade Uni playables in this one - though honestly the more playables you have at Uni the more fun it is IMHO and a lot of the premades are rad) to learn how the University subhood works before you go the custom route.

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 2:06 AM
No... i checked it myself the lot is a dorm and when i go into it the usual stuff in build mode doesn't let you use it, are you supposed to delete the mailbox for a dorm? because i did that... but do you need that to pay the dorm bills?.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 2:21 AM
Well, that's probably your problem - Never ever delete a mailbox! The dorm will have a regular mailbox and bills will be paid by the playable every third day, just like in an ordinary hood.

You may have to rebuild the dorm from scratch - I'm not sure that deleting a mailbox doesn't break a lot in a way that can't be fixed by replacing it. If you have a buyable mailbox, though, go ahead and try it.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 2:39 AM
Never ever delete a mail box as that totally wrecks your lot. Residential or dorm or apartment will only ever load build mode and your sim probably disappeared as well. The mail box is vital to the lot. You could try placing a buyable mail box when no sims are on the lot in normal build mode, but I would bulldoze the lot as it may have done other things to the lot that we don't know about. I also agree with Peni in that if I was you I would use a test hood and a regular Maxis Uni first so you can see how it works. Your teen should grow up as soon as she steps out of the taxi, then the cafetiere worker and other dormies show up soon after.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 2:51 AM Last edited by Pygsmyemm : 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:04 AM.
I'm fine with the building i've been doing it for years just i didn't know you needed the mailbox, looking at what i did in the dorm everything i put it in is fine, i read up and what you can do is turn it back to residential, then try to move a sim inside, save it, move them out then move then move them back in, even just changing the zone may make the mailbox come back.

Edit: Didn't work aww...i have to re-build an entire dorm again, that's sucks as i love the form i made, oh well... i will just re-build it lol.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 6:11 AM
I deleted mailboxes before I knew it destroyed the lot. I use this buyable mailbox from Sim a Little Dream in case I'm doing something where I need such a thing. Sometimes when rezoning a community lot to residential, the game doesn't generate a residential mailbox so sims I moved in vanished. I use the mailbox for that problem for example. There are different versions depending on what EPs you have. Like everything else, you should back up your game before trying it.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:18 PM
Go into your broken dorm and use the dropper to put all of the items, walls, floors etc into a collection file. Then take pictures from the top-down mode so you can quickly recreate the floor plan.

It sucks to have to rebuild things but this makes it much quicker and easier.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:44 PM
I'm just re-building it because i don't know if a buyable mail box would corrupt my game but i remember what i did, it isn't so bad re-building it again really as i made the rooms the same size this time but the other didn't have symetical rooms so i'm kind of glad to do a re-build, best size for rooms is 4 x 6 there is just enough space even for the study rooms so i guess they will be walking around more smoothly now and less likely there will be any problems.