Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 11:55 PM
Default Package patterns with lots?
I'm going crazy here trying not to include anyone's patterns in lots and I know I've made errors. I know they won't show in game for people.

I've never seen anyone credit pattern creators or provide links to the patterns they use.

The question is are we supposed to just use them then package them with the lot? I think I must have missed where this was discussed
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 1:16 AM
Same as any other CC -- you are required to credit and link to the patterns you use. And yes, people do do that. See this one for instance: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=368850 You can include the pattern in your .rar file IF you have the maker's permission.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 12:36 PM
oh dear, then I'll just try to not include patterns as I would then have too many to include.

Why isn't everyone doing this though? I haven't really seen anyone do it and you can clearly see that the patterns in the pic are CC.

I think it's time I made my own so I can just include them. It's your fault, if you didn't make such good cc then my list wouldn't be so long hahaha
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 1:45 PM
I think the underlying problem is that a lot of people have no idea what custom content they have in their game – with patterns in particular, whichever way you install them, it's currently not possible to include a thumbnail or anything that would tell the user "this is CC" in game. Other CC or store content can have a custom thumbnail, but doesn't always have one, and I believe when it's installed manually it won't show up anyway … so people just upload their lots blissfully unaware of how much CC it contains.

Like Srikandi said, there *are* creators who list everything that's required – like they should – but others simply don't seem to be aware of it. I'm guessing some don't even know that this is a problem for downloaders. If you come across an upload that's missing stuff (be it custom patterns or objects or anything else), please do let the creator know about it – if nobody tells them, they'll never know!

In my experience, the easiest way to manage CC when building lots is to have all of it in a separate folder (or a set of separate folders) and just remove everything I don't need before starting the game. That way I can be sure to not accidentially use anything I don't want to, and it also speeds up loading times.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I think the underlying problem is that a lot of people have no idea what custom content they have in their game – with patterns in particular, whichever way you install them, it's currently not possible to include a thumbnail or anything that would tell the user "this is CC" in game. Other CC or store content can have a custom thumbnail, but doesn't always have one, and I believe when it's installed manually it won't show up anyway … so people just upload their lots blissfully unaware of how much CC it contains.

Like Srikandi said, there *are* creators who list everything that's required – like they should – but others simply don't seem to be aware of it. I'm guessing some don't even know that this is a problem for downloaders. If you come across an upload that's missing stuff (be it custom patterns or objects or anything else), please do let the creator know about it – if nobody tells them, they'll never know!

In my experience, the easiest way to manage CC when building lots is to have all of it in a separate folder (or a set of separate folders) and just remove everything I don't need before starting the game. That way I can be sure to not accidentially use anything I don't want to, and it also speeds up loading times.

I do keep a seperate build folder now for building, I have a list of all the links of the creators I use regularly and just their cc in that folder, patterns are a nightmare though as at the beginning we were just downloading anything without really thinking. I think the best thing I could do is clear my folder and put in what I really need and add them to that list I have. I really should take the time to make my own patterns too as that way I could just always package them. I just don't have a lot of time for that with doing loads of other stuff.

Like you say, it's hard to tell which pattern is cc and which isn't, I did start a thread to see if we could work out a way to identify cc patterns and other cc. It's hard to see in an upload if something definitely has patterns that aren't listed too but I'm sure most people aren't mentioning them.

The other thing is though, Delphy makes us all sign an agreement saying patterns are free to use. It's just a shame stuff doesn't package with the lots