Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Dec 2009 at 7:56 PM Last edited by SnowWhiteCharming : 28th Dec 2009 at 12:22 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life
Crashing before neighborhood is loaded--Uninstalled WLOC&Base game+patch worked
Okay, I am having the same problem as a lot of other users here, apparently...only thing is my system specs exceed the minimum requirements. (And whoops@just seeing the "no me too" posts in the locked one, sorry 'bout that. )I just installed WA today...it made me update The Sims 3, first, however. Once I did that, I installed WA and then, again, it told me I needed to update...so it downloaded and installed another patch. I tried to start the game up but the loading screen went funky with a grey square in the middle. Then I pick my family/neighborhood to enter into and it loads about 15-20% of the way then just crashes completely and returns to the desktop.

I have a SR5710F HP Compaq, I just purchased this February. I upgraded my graphics card to a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT with 512 MB GPU. My computer has 3GB of RAM, it has AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450e, each core having 2.30GHz. And it's 32-bit Windows Vista. Also, I have about 170GB of free space...so no issue there.

Please help, if possible. I'd really like to play this game, I just got it!

Yo', I'm on Yearbook now, check me out and leave me some lovin's!!!
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 4:08 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • Sims 3 - Loading Crashes
    If your game is crashing on load, with or without an error message, or the game starts up then just disappears, then you have a loading crash.

Please see the following FAQ and go through the steps listed in order to try fixing your game: Game_Help:Sims_3_Loading_Crasheswiki.
I assume you removed all your custom content, as is the rule. Have you also tried bypassing the launcher?

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 3:51 PM Last edited by SnowWhiteCharming : 26th Dec 2009 at 4:47 PM.
Thanks, I followed all those steps before I posted here. I haven't tried to bypass the launcher because I didn't think the launcher was the issue. The problem is when I actual load my game up. I think I've narrowed it down to the problem being with the patch I'm mandated to install. I believe this to be the issue because I did remove all my custom content...not just suspected problem mods. And that had no effect. I did all the steps in the Loading Crashes thread, and still no difference. The Sims 3 worked beautifully before I had to update to install WA. My game had only been patched to 1.27 prior to yesterday. Anyway, I tried to uninstall WA and see if The Sims 3 would go back to being playable...it didn't. Only difference there was that it was patched up to 2.03 or w/e it is. I reinstalled WA and I downloaded a more current driver for my graphics cards...though not -the- most current, it's from like September or something...I read people were having compatibility issues with WA&the more up-to-date driver for my graphics card. But after having UNinstalled WA, I now have to reinstall the WA patch before it'll even let me open my Sims game. ...I have dial-up, so it's a long process. I don't believe the driver will make a difference, because my other driver wasn't the old...from June or so this year. But I will post here to let people know of the result.

It is very frustrating that something EA made in efforts to fix their game has made it unplayable and furthermore that my brand new game cannot be played at all, regardless of my specs meeting&exceeding the minimum requirements.

EDIT:

Actually, I did try bypassing the launcher, I forgot. When I uninstalled down to The Sims 3 and its most current patch I did try to bypass the launcher but it still resulted in a crash at the exact same place of the neighborhood/family loading screen. I did also try to bypass the launcher for Sims 3 WA, withOUT its most current patch, but it still tells me I can't open the game without updating it. So the launcher bypass dealy is really no help.

shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 4:47 PM
Plenty of people play with the patch without problems. It seems the patch is conflicting with something but you can't blame it all on the patch or everyone would be having the same problem. I suggest following the guide. You haven't mentioned anything about trying with fresh user files, for example.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 4:56 PM
With fresh user files you mean as in renaming The Sims 3 to The Sims 3 backup and having it start from scratch? I did that, as directed in the thread. I'm sorry I didn't make it clear, I assumed it was covered with having said I followed the Loading/Crashing thread's directions without an effect. Yes, I tried taking everything out and having it start as if brand new and it still crashed. So it's not a corruption of my saved files. I also tried, as usual when Sims messes up, deleting the cache files but that, too, had no effect. And as far as the removal of mods go...I've had the packages folder completely empty throughout this dilemma. It is getting so frustrating. Something I haven't tried is I saw someone mention deleting the resource file? Is that something I should try?

Thanks so much in advance for any and all assistance.

Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 5:30 PM
Please read the faq's and the stickies at the top of this forum. There have been numerous problems with the new patches. If you are experiencing crashing while trying to launch with the game launcher, bypass it and run the game from the .exe file instead.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 6:07 PM Last edited by SnowWhiteCharming : 26th Dec 2009 at 6:42 PM. Reason: typos
I have read the stickies, that is why I'm posting here because none of it has aided me any.

And it's not the launcher, is what I'm saying. I did try bypassing the launcher but it didn't change the crashing of the game at all. So there isn't any issues with the launcher at all. What I'm saying is that I could play The Sims 3 just fine before I tried to install WA. When I did try to install it, it made me update The Sims 3 to the most current patch before it would let me install WA. After I did that, it wouldn't let me PLAY World Adventures until I installed the WA Patch, as well. And once I did that I attempted to open the game up...the opening video played fine, I also clicked through it various times as well, and then it came to the scrolling text screen but the screen was all black, the text was yellow, and when it scrolled it all combined into a yellow line across the bottom of the screen. And there was a small grey box in the center of the black. It then popped up to the select a family/neighborhood screen, which looked normal, but when I selected one to try'n enter the game...it got about 15% of the way and then crashed straight to the desk top. Even when I did bypass the launcher, it did the same thing, because my problem has nothing to do with the launcher, you see?

EDIT:

Alright, so, I just finished downloading the necessary patch in order to just OPEN WA. I installed it and then started the game up. But, unfortunately, the same issue arose at start-up and crashed when trying to load a neighborhood. So now my graphics card has an update driver and that still hasn't solved the issue. What else can I try to do?

shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 7:15 PM
Okay back up.. You purchased this Compaq SR5710F and then you installed that 8600GT yourself? Did you uninstall the previous drivers first? Did you manually disable the onboard graphics? Did you replace the stock power supply? Because the stock power supply isn't strong enough to run that card stable..

You also may be overheating, as that case is entirely passively cooled (absolutely no case fans) and was never designed to handle a card that could put out heat like the 8600gt. Also, underpowering your computer can lead to overheating all on its own. That said, I do not want to check for overheating before I'm sure you have a proper power supply installed. Last thing I want is for it to blow and ruin your system.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 7:37 PM
Well, before I purchased this card I contacted HP/Compaq and asked them if this system would support the card I was looking at, without having to get a new power supply. They said it would support it no problem and that as long as I'm getting the 8600, being at mid level, then my system wouldn't have a problem not having a new power supply. I don't have a new power supply. And I thought I disabled the on board graphics? I mean, my computer recognizes the card now rather than the old graphics. I don't understand why Compaq themselves would tell me it would be okay to install this card if it really wasn't. Though, for the last few weeks my computer has been, on and off, making a strange noise...seemed to resonate from around the graphics card. I've had this card in here since sometime before June of this year, because I was preparing my computer for The Sims 3. What do you suggest for a power supply, then, if I have to get a new one? And could that be what's causing my game not to work? Even though it was perfectly fine before the new patch for The Sims 3, and the installation of World Adventures? Thanks again.

shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 7:53 PM Last edited by callistra : 26th Dec 2009 at 8:05 PM.
I'm sorry but HP gave you bad info. The power supply in there is only a weak 250w with crappy rails and it's definitely not up for running that graphics card. This could definitely be the reason behind your crashing. While I can't guarantee you that it's the only thing wrong, I can guarantee you that if you want to continue to use the 8600GT in that machine you need to upgrade the power supply. I'm just hoping at this point that you haven't permanently damaged something, because that is also possible.

Your 8600gt does not pull the same amount of power all the time. It will pull much less power while you are doing basic things like surfing the net and more power when you are doing things like games. The more you stress it the more power it will pull. There are one of two things going on here. It could be that WA is causing just enough additional stress for your power supply to start buckling. Or you've been walking an extremely thin line for a long time and now it's starting to give out due to it running at max capacity for so long. And/or you could also be seeing the effects of long term overheating.

Something like this would work fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817139008

I also really suggest adding an exhaust fan to your case. Case was just not designed to handle the extra heat. I'm trying to figure out now if it's 80mm or 90mm and I will get back with you.

Also, make sure that you don't have anything in the slots directly above or below the graphics card. I would also suggest leaving the pci slot cover off the slot directly below to give it more airflow.

I'm going to have to look more into whether or not you need to manually disable the onboard in BIOS, because it really depend on the motherboard. Some do it automatically and some don't. But you definitely should have gone to add/remove programs and uninstalled old drivers before popping in the 8600gt. When you get the new power supply and case fan I can walk you through some driver clean up and reinstall of the card.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 8:17 PM
Oh, wow, okay. Thanks so much for your help...and this power supply looks very reasonably priced, as well. Now, that will fit just fine with my system, without modifications, correct? I don't know much about power supplies because that is not something I've ever purchased. Also, is it just as easy to install as a graphics card or RAM chip or disk drive or w/e? Nothing too bad that I wouldn't be able to handle? And do you suggest, for the time being, I take out the added graphics chip and go back to the integrated one? I mean, until I get the new power supply? I don't want to take the risk of causing damage or anything. But, an issue with that is that I have a dial-up connection so having to redownload and reinstall drivers for my graphics card when I put it back in would take me a day or two just to download. But I can back the drivers up, can't I? If so, where can I find the ones I'll need in order to make sure everything is copacetic?

Thank you so much for all your help thus far, and I'll be awaiting your update on the info I'll need to get an exhaust for my machine. Thanks again.

shiny!
retired moderator
#12 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 8:30 PM
Yes, good thing about most HP computers is they take standard ATX power supplies, like that one. It will fit fine.

I would recommend taking the card out for now. It's the safest thing. You may be okay if you just don't play the game, or you might not be. Can you take the computer to a friend's house and use their net? Or a family members? If so then go to add/remove programs and uninstall all instances of Nvidia stuff. Then turn off your computer, and take out the card. When you reboot Windows, install these: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_w...95.62_whql.html Then you'll have to reboot one more time.

Installing the power supply is more complicated than installing the RAM and graphics card but not too bad. My best suggestion is to pay careful attention to how your current power supply is installed. Follow all the wires to all the different parts and try to hold onto that image so you know where all the wires for the new power supply will go. I can maybe see if I can find an HP service manual but they're not the best when it comes to providing that sort of stuff.

ETA: Yeah their service manual doesn't include power supplies. I'm sorry I should have also originally told you that replacing the power supply on your own will void the warranty. Now truth be told, there are ways around this.. one is to have it professionally installed, but some places charge quite a bit for this simple thing. The second is if you actually have to get it serviced, just swap the power supplies back out and don't tell them you ever put the Corsair in.. Heh.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 9:08 PM
Oh, I voided my warranty anyway on my computer when I installed the graphics card myself, so I'm not concerned about that. I think there's a thing on the inside that shows whether or not your computer has been opened and I've already opened it at least twice, once to install the card and once to clean dust out recently. I thought that may be what was causing the noise I've been hearing...which it's quiet at the moment, though. Thanks again for your help.

As for going some place for internet...I could go to the local library, but I live in a small town and their hours are odd and often while I'm at work...so it'd be a hassle to say the least. Downloading the old drivers after disabling the 8600 graphics card seems unavoidable, but do you know if there is any way to back up my current drivers? So that I don't have redownload them as well? if I do that my computer will be virtually unusable for at least 2-4 days and I can't afford to lose that time.

shiny!
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 9:14 PM
Go to C:\Nvidia\DisplayDriver\ and there should be a folder there with a version number.. XX.XX. Back that up. Although, if you don't have 195.62 I'm going to suggest getting it new anyway. The drivers I linked to above for your 6150SE are what you are going to ultimately need to reinstall for the 8600gt card, so just keep a backup of them from wherever you download. Also download and save this while you are at the library:

ETA: hang on I'm getting you a better driver cleaner
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 9:39 PM
Well, the folder there is for 185.85, but I just updated to 191.07 today...is there a way I can find that update anywhere? I read that the 195 update causing compatibility issues with Sims 3 WA, that's why I didn't get that driver instead. If you posted a link in your last post...it didn't show. I just purchased the power supply right now...so I've still got to buy an exhaust as well, correct? I hope this makes my game run.

shiny!
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 9:41 PM
195 does not cause problems. Where did you read this? One of the earlier 191 drivers did, however..

I'm waiting for an e-mail back on the case fan. You might be able to call HP faster and have them tell you exactly what size you need. Or you could just buy a 120mm and use zip ties to attach it. That works too.. done that with my gpu.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 10:32 PM
Here's a question: once I uninstall my 8600 and reestablish my 6150, would I be able to play my Sims game? I can't remember if the integrated graphics was 128 or 256...but is WA capable at 128MB? And, if it is, shouldn't it play for me if the overpowering graphics card is my issue right now?

I'm just a little nervous about uninstalling the drivers and stuff, it took me so long to download them and all...but I'm sure you're right in that it will cause more of an issue if I don't change it out and my system gets overheated. I'll do that right now...I'll come back an check on the status of this thread when I finish switching them out. I really appreciate all the effort you've put into helping me with this! Here's hopin' I can go to France and make Nectar! :P

shiny!
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 10:37 PM
Your IGP doesn't meet requirements. All things considered you -might- have better luck with it, for a short time anyway, than the current 8600gt setup. I would suggest not trying to though because you could also hurt something. Sorry.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 11:22 PM
Oh crap, LOL. I saw that after I tried it. But when I tried it...nothing was different. It responded the same way it was when I was on the other graphics card. So how can we be sure it's the graphic's card issue? The only thing I've been able to see responding is The Sims 3 patched only up to 1.27, after that it doesn't work. That also means that I can't play WA. But if I uninstall everything and don't patch it I have the strong belief it will work again...since it was working perfectly fine before.

shiny!
retired moderator
#20 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 12:01 AM
Like I said before, I can't guarantee the power supply is the only issue. I can only guarantee you need to upgrade it. Regardless, it was the right decision to upgrade.

191.07 drivers are incompatible with the game, so that might be the cause now if you didn't uninstall the current drivers first and reinstall the 195s after you put in the 8600gt.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 12:11 AM
Well, I took the 8600 out, not put it in. I haven't changed the drivers yet...I did uninstall them beforehand, however. Uninstalled, shut down, then took out 8600 and then started it up again and let it reinstall the necessary drivers...which it installed the 185.85 ones. So now that is where I'm at. But if I download the 195.62 NOW I'll have to download it again, right? After I get my power supply, put it in, and then put my 8600 back in, right? I let a comment on an EA thread about my problem...I'm hoping they get me a response. Because otherwise my system far exceeds the requirements...there shouldn't be an issue starting to game up. An EA admin said on an EA thread
Quote:
We are aware of the issues with the 1.8 patch and World Adventures, and they are being looked into. As soon as I have more information regarding this issue, or a solution, I'll be posting it here in the forums.
What angers me is that if the game was going to cause so many issues, and they knew about it, why did they release it? So many people are having issues after having spent so much money on their product and all they have to say is "we're working on it." I have also noticed a lot of the people having the same symptoms as me are using Nvidia...so I don't know if that is a true correlation or just coincidence. Hope everyone can get their game running soon...

shiny!
retired moderator
#22 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 12:39 AM
Yes, there are a lot of people having problems. However, there are people who are running the game with WA and all the latest patches just fine so you can't just totally blame EA. We need to figure out exactly what's up with your particular computer that's causing all this.

If you download the 95.62 file now then you don't have to download it again. Just keep it on your desktop or My Docs, or something else safe and you can reinstall it again after you put the 8600gt back.

If you want to, I can take you through some other trouble shooting steps in the meantime.. Like this will totally rule out a game only problem:
Quote:
1) Go to My Documents and cut/paste your user files from C:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ to your Desktop. (This is where your saved game data is so if you don't want to lose it make a backup first)
Also, back up your cc from 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods'

2) Uninstall the base game (and expansion if you have it) from Add/Remove Programs. Then restart your computer.

3) Manually delete the entire 'The Sims 3' folder from 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3' (you should have backed up your cc in step 1) (and 'The Sims 3 World Adventure' folder from 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures' if you have the expansion)

4) Download and install this program: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Use the registry cleaner. When it prompts you make a backup of the files you are removing

5) Restart your computer, then try to reinstall just the base game try to play the game. Don't patch it the first time. See if it works. If it works then you can experiment with patches and if you have the expansion

6) If it still works, you can try adding back in your user files

Make sure to pay attention to the last bit and only install the base game the first time. Let me know if that works, and if you can get WA the patch to work after the total clean install.. we'll see exactly where the breakdown is. If it still doesn't work after all that then there is something else going on with your computer.

Also let me know what antivirus you're using.

And run this program and choose to save a log: http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micr...4-10227353.html Upload the log here. Make sure you don't click to fix anything It's a totally manual program and you have to know what you're doing or you will destroy your computer.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:13 AM
Alright, I'll try that out. I started the 195.62 download, but I'm better off going else where to download that to a flash drive or w/e. It took me all day to download the patch for The Sims 3 in order to install WA, but we really should see if the issue is the patch. It could just APPEAR to be the patch, since it did work before I patched it past 1.27 yesterday. My anti-virus is Live OneCare. I'll get back to you with all this info after I've gone through it all...I should be able to get to you about the unpatched game fairly shortly, however. Thanks again for your patience.

shiny!
retired moderator
#24 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:17 AM
Liveone care is well documented to cause problems with the Sims games. I'm actually rather surprised you haven't had more problems if it's been running all this time. Uninstall it completely through add/remove programs then restart your computer. Let me know if that changed anything.

My suggestion is to get Avast! for free: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html That will take you absolutely forever to download on dialup, and even install.. so make sure you do what you can at the library.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:59 AM Last edited by SnowWhiteCharming : 27th Dec 2009 at 2:21 AM.
Really? I used to have Norton, but I removed it because I was told that caused conflicts...so I installed Live OneCare...I'll check out that anti-virus you linked me to. Here is the log file, I zipped it.

Log File

I'm currently installing The Sims 3 base game, when that finishes I will update you on how it responded..whether still crashing or not. It takes forever to install this darn thing...don't know WHY they didn't include a loading game or anything to keep you occupied, grr. :P

Okay, expect an edit in a few minutes.

EDIT:

Alright...The Sims 3, base game, no patches, worked perfectly. No issues at all. My only issue is that I thought I had saved my The Sims 3 folder, and I didn't. I saved a few folders inside it but not the whole thing...so I have to redownload all my content from The Sims 3 store and other launcher installed items. But yeah, the game started up loaded the neighborhood issue free. So there is something definitely interfering with the running of the game through the patches. It's the only thing I've done all day, and last night, that has made any difference on the crashing.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  hijackthis.zip (2.5 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content

Locked thread | Locked by: callistra Reason: solved
Page 1 of 2