Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 2:26 AM
Default Name Generator - Where are the names?
Okay, I really love the name generator in this game first & last. Unfortunately, I'm not keen on scripting nor playing around with TSM's files.

My question is where can I find the list of names used in this game? Which file does it reside in and what do I use to open it? (I can find the program(s), I just need to know which one, please.) OR is there somewhere I can go online to find the list of names used, which I already googled and searched this subject and I wasn't able to find this either.

So any help or suggestions on the huge list of names used in the generator would be fantastic, please! Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 5:27 AM
I want to know as well, I just had Dwight Farnsworth come up as a possible Forgemaster, and it was weird.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 6:47 AM
Some of the names I've only heard once before, but they are super pretty! I just can't seem to find where the names are located.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 7:24 AM
Maybe they are in the STBL files; I seem to recall them being there in Sims3.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Scholar
#5 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 10:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
Maybe they are in the STBL files; I seem to recall them being there in Sims3.

They are. They're all listed about 1/3rd of the way down. There's certainly plenty of them. I'm kind of impressed. I love that they have a name generator in this.
Thank you Shimrod for saying where they are, I would never have found them otherwise.
I haven't minded a lot of the names, but there are still plenty I wouldn't use, it will be nice to be able to change some of them.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
They are. They're all listed about 1/3rd of the way down. There's certainly plenty of them. I'm kind of impressed. I love that they have a name generator in this.
Thank you Shimrod for saying where they are, I would never have found them otherwise.
I haven't minded a lot of the names, but there are still plenty I wouldn't use, it will be nice to be able to change some of them.

Where are the SBTL files?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 1:01 PM
Y'know, I don't expect this game to really be an accurate portrayal of the Middle Ages. Really I don't. And I truly enjoy it. But having a Pirate named Misty Darkblade, just doesn't cut it. Or Flowerseller Fawn. I wish someone would find a nice listing of Medieval names and do a mod to get rid of the twinkie, modern first names, at least.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lerf1950
Y'know, I don't expect this game to really be an accurate portrayal of the Middle Ages. Really I don't. And I truly enjoy it. But having a Pirate named Misty Darkblade, just doesn't cut it. Or Flowerseller Fawn. I wish someone would find a nice listing of Medieval names and do a mod to get rid of the twinkie, modern first names, at least.

You could always find these files and mod them yourself
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 8:43 PM
You know, I'm starting to be pretty sure that it takes names from my characters too. For example, I had a king called Carolus Magnus (I know, I know, I'm not modest at all) in a couple of games, and then I started seeing people with a Carolus first name or Magnus last name. Ok, maybe coincidence. Then I make a bard called Johnny Sonata, as in the City Of Villains character, then I start seeing people with a Sonata last name. And so on.
Scholar
#10 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 8:44 PM

I would strongly suggest getting the medieval core or some other edit-in-CAS mod. Then you can rename the offenders yourself whenever you notice one.
Scholar
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 9:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moraelin
I would strongly suggest getting the medieval core or some other edit-in-CAS mod. Then you can rename the offenders yourself whenever you notice one.

It looks like the NPC's are already named in the STBL file (don't know if all of them are though), so you could edit at least some of the offending ones from the file.
I kind of want to change servant Dimples' name, but she's been in so many kingdoms, it seems somehow wrong now LOL
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 1:09 PM
Where are the STBL files located?
Test Subject
#13 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 6:36 AM
Wow. Maybe I should give the generator a chance. I've been completely ignoring it, choosing instead from a comprehensive list of absurd aliases Shawn keeps giving to Gus on "Psych". It's becoming increasingly difficult to get behind a monarch named Ghee Buttersnaps and his stalwart wizard chum, Methuselah Honeysuckle. Trust me, nothing makes you want to start over from scratch like a barrel-chested blacksmith named "M.C. Clap-Your-Hands".
Instructor
#14 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mackieG13
Where are the STBL files located?

SASDeltaBuild2.package and SASFullBuild2.package. Make sure to use the one in the SASDeltaBuild2.package if it's available.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 5:24 PM Last edited by ladyskye : 25th Sep 2011 at 5:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gonif
Wow. Maybe I should give the generator a chance. I've been completely ignoring it, choosing instead from a comprehensive list of absurd aliases Shawn keeps giving to Gus on "Psych". It's becoming increasingly difficult to get behind a monarch named Ghee Buttersnaps and his stalwart wizard chum, Methuselah Honeysuckle. Trust me, nothing makes you want to start over from scratch like a barrel-chested blacksmith named "M.C. Clap-Your-Hands".

OMG, that's a scream. ROFLMAO!

If you will go here;
http://www.s-gabriel.org/
they have a huge archive of Medieval names and surnames from all over Europe, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Judaic, and Russia.
Also try here for lists of Medieval Names;
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names.html
Maybe that would help your blacksmith!

I like playing The Sims. I don't like to be played like a Sim.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 5:30 PM

I agree with you. The Darkblade part fairly OK, the Misty part, not so much. If you can find the file for the names generator, go here;
http://www.s-gabriel.org/
They have a huge archive of names that should help and which are historically accurate. Also try out this site;
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names.html
They also have a huge archive of names which are time period appropriate.

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grimreefer24601
SASDeltaBuild2.package and SASFullBuild2.package. Make sure to use the one in the SASDeltaBuild2.package if it's available.

What program do I use to open and or modify this file? Lots of things I know, but this isn't one of them.

Instructor
#18 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ladyskye
What program do I use to open and or modify this file? Lots of things I know, but this isn't one of them.

I use S3PE to open packages, and it has a built in STBL editor. Open the package, find the STBL you want to edit, right-click on it and choose edit STBL.

The main STBL's are really big, so it may take awhile to to edit with S3PE. I know there is another STBL editor available here on MTS, but I've never used it.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grimreefer24601
I use S3PE to open packages, and it has a built in STBL editor. Open the package, find the STBL you want to edit, right-click on it and choose edit STBL.

The main STBL's are really big, so it may take awhile to to edit with S3PE. I know there is another STBL editor available here on MTS, but I've never used it.

Thank you very much. I worked all night and have to get some sleep, but tomorrow morning after I get off work I'll start looking through it. If nothing else I have a short vacation coming up around Halloween, and will piddle around in it then. Thank you again.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 4:45 PM Last edited by ladyskye : 26th Sep 2011 at 5:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SeaSamia
Some of the names I've only heard once before, but they are super pretty! I just can't seem to find where the names are located.

I found them. They are about a quarter to a third of the way into the String_ENG STBL file in the SASDeltaBuild2.package after adventures. And there are hundreds and hundreds of them. They seem to be arranged with surnames first, then women's names followed by a list of short titles like midwife and poor and goodwife or farmwife. These are followed by men's names and the titles like pig farmer, squire, junior apprentice. These are followed by quests.

I am used to a simple javascript name generator, with lists of names that are randomly combined, the script choosing one from one list and one from another. This isn't remotely related to one of those.

I really wanted to modify a few of them like Daisy, and Fawn, and Misty. But...

What I did not know (and still don't) is whether these names are included in quests or adventures. If I do modify them, will it screw up a quest or adventure? Everything in this game is very interconnected. Also they are intricately numbered. Is the name important or is the number connected to it more important, the name being incidental? If I want to alter the name do I just alter the name or (cringe) do I have to alter the numbering as well?

It seems if I want a certain list of names in the game, my best bet still seems to be to edit in CAS.

Instructor
#21 Old 26th Sep 2011 at 10:46 PM
Editing the STBL shouldn't cause any mishaps in your game. The worst that would happen is if some text is changed to a longer string some of it might get cutoff. Only a problem if you have a really long name.

The strings in this particular instance are used only for the name generator. Once a name is selected the string is copied to the sims first and last name slots, and the STBL will never be used again for this sims name. This means that any changes to the names in the STBL will not affect any existing sims, only newly created ones. If you wanted to replace the current names in your kingdom you will have to use CAS.

The number is how the game finds the string, so it should not be changed. Only change the string itself. It's probably possible to add more names to the list, but to be sure I'd have to look deeper at the name generator code.