Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 6:17 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Installing Custom Worlds
Hi, please forgive me for maybe asking a dumb question, but I'm having an awful time trying to install a custom world. I've tried going through the tutorial and get as far as renaming the different parts. I don't understand where to go from there though. When I try to extract the different parts, it says that the file already exists and I can't go any further. Could somebody please explain step by step and exactly what to do and where to put the files? What path do I extract them to after renaming them w/o getting a duplicate warning? That's where I'm hung up. Thanks!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 8:14 PM
It sounds like you might have been working too hard. When you download a multipart .rar file, just save them all to the same folder-don't unzip them till you have them all there. Then, just click on part 1. It has the instructions inside it to tell itself to continue with the other parts without you doing anything. The only renaming you have to do is to remove anything that is different besides the part number. If the parts all read exactly the same except for that, you're good to go.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 10:05 PM
I'm trying to install a fixed version of Appaloosa Plains. I have the zips saved in a desktop folder. However. when I right click the first file and say "extract here," it works, but the following files only give me duplicates. I need to get from the zip into the game.
Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonshine
I'm trying to install a fixed version of Appaloosa Plains. I have the zips saved in a desktop folder. However. when I right click the first file and say "extract here," it works, but the following files only give me duplicates. I need to get from the zip into the game.

I'm not clear what you're saying--it sounds like you're trying to open the further files yourself. You should only click on the first one. You should not click on the other ones. The first zip unzips the other ones, if they are together in one folder and their names are the same except for the part number.

Have you looked closely at the file that results from clicking on the first zip? It should be the whole world, assembled into a Sims3Pack. You shouldn't have to do anything more now besides click on it to make the Launcher install it.

Check that first: if it's not a good Sims3Pack of the world, check to see if you downloaded all the parts and renamed them correctly. Other than that I have no ideas.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 2:16 AM
Hi Lucy, I have looked at the file and it is not a sims3pack file. Maybe that's why I'm getting so confused. I saved each of the 6 parts to a folder on my desktop and when I choose "extract here" (maybe that's where I'm going wrong?), all I get is a .world file. The icon next to it is just a blank piece of paper.
Site Helper
#6 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 3:57 AM
Icons don't matter. That just shows what the computer will try to open it with if you double click it.
If you end up with a .world file after following all instructions, you're good to go. (or should be.)

Just above the Mods folder is "Installed Worlds." Drop it in there and see if it's working.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Alchemist
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 6:55 AM
You are supposed to end up with a .world file. I suppose if you REALLY want to open it yourself (which would only be useful if you want to extract/change stuff from it i.e. NOT what a regular user, who just plays the game, needs) you can change the file extension of the .world file to .package, and then open it in S3PE.

Multi-part downloads are simply large files broken up into smaller-sized chunks to fit within the limit allowed on MTS. Like others before me have said, you are supposed to download all the archives, then use the "Extract Here" command on only the first archive. You will then get a file, either .sims3pack or .world.
To install the .sims3pack, just double-click it or right-click -> Open With Sims 3 Launcher.
To install the .world, cut/paste it from where you extracted it, usually into:
[installation folder, NOT My Documents] \ Electronic Arts \ The Sims 3 \ GameData \ Shared \ NonPackaged \ Worlds.
^ This is the folder for basegame and custom worlds. For worlds that came with each EP, check their own folders
e.g. The Sims 3 World Adventures \ GameData \ Shared \ NonPackaged \ Worlds for China, Egypt and France.

However, ellacharmed has kindly written these instructions herself, on the download. For this .world file, since it replaces the original .world file provided by the game, you are supposed to put it into:
[installation folder, NOT My Documents] \ Electronic Arts \ The Sims 3 Pets \ GameData \ Shared \ NonPackaged \ Worlds.
I would keep a backup copy (just copy the old one somewhere else) in case you ever want to restore it.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 9:16 AM
Thanks Ghost! It worked and now I have the fixed version of Appaloosa Plains.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 15th Jul 2023 at 10:39 PM
I know this is an old post, but now that EA has taken over instead of origin, how do i install the worlds now? My worlds won't show up that I put in that folder now that EA has taken over. Is it in another folder now?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!