Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 5:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Windows 10 pre-CC .package file prep/instructions
I tried searching the forum, didn't find find anything within 5-10 minutes of searching. Thus, I try this.

I have new machine, running Win 10 64 bit, and have all exp packs and 1 stuff pack, all running well. (It's an awesome PC!) I have CC via .sims3packs, but here on MTS, you have mostly .package files. I looked for instructions for installing/getting ready to install .package files, but there was only some for up to Win 7. No idea if the Win 7 method will work on Win 10, or if it will mess up my new computer. (Which I will be paying off for the next 2 years, BTW, so I REALLY don't want to do anything to it w/out asking people who have more experience than I do!)

I've played Sims 3 on my old Win 7 computer, and I miss some mods and other wonderful stuff from MTS! Please, any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Kim
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 11:46 PM
All I can tell you is that the instructions for Windows 7 also work for Windows 8. I don't have Windows 10, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work for Windows 10, unless either it has done away with the Documents folder or you are really bad at reading and following directions.

I'm assuming what you found is this: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Setup_and_Files

The framework setup on that page is just an archived folder with two subfolders and 3 files in them. They should cause no harm unless you get really creative about how or where you extract them.
Run your game and save it. (Unless you've already done that.) Then find the Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder in Documents. (the game will have created it when you played it.) That is the folder where the Framework is extracted to. The directions for Windows 7 will give you a clue about where to look for it, even if your user documents have been moved again under windows 10. If there is a saved game showing under Saves, you've found the right folder.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 12:58 PM
The only thing that Win 10 does differently is, for some users, it keeps trying to build a game folder on OneDrive even if the player isn't using OneDrive. But if your game is already working well and you can see that its game folder is in Documents where it belongs, then the procedure is exactly the same as with Win 7/8.x.
Instructor
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
The only thing that Win 10 does differently is, for some users, it keeps trying to build a game folder on OneDrive even if the player isn't using OneDrive. But if your game is already working well and you can see that its game folder is in Documents where it belongs, then the procedure is exactly the same as with Win 7/8.x.

I guess that's why I don't have this kind of problem with TS3 in win 10 because I disabled it since I never use it, thanks for mentioning it Igazor

OneDrive is enabled automatically by default whether the user use it or not, but it can be disabled anytime, just right click on its icon in the tray bar, click setting, navigate to setting tab, unchecked the "Start OneDrive automatically..", click "ok" to finish the setup. And then go to the tray bar one more time, right click on its icon one more time, but this time click "exit" to close it down. Restart your computer and OneDrive is permanently disabled until it's being enabled again by the user.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
All I can tell you is that the instructions for Windows 7 also work for Windows 8. I don't have Windows 10, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work for Windows 10, unless either it has done away with the Documents folder or you are really bad at reading and following directions.

I'm assuming what you found is this: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Setup_and_Files

The framework setup on that page is just an archived folder with two subfolders and 3 files in them. They should cause no harm unless you get really creative about how or where you extract them.
Run your game and save it. (Unless you've already done that.) Then find the Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder in Documents. (the game will have created it when you played it.) That is the folder where the Framework is extracted to. The directions for Windows 7 will give you a clue about where to look for it, even if your user documents have been moved again under windows 10. If there is a saved game showing under Saves, you've found the right folder.

Yes, the framework is what I am afraid would mess up my Win10 settings. Thanks for the info, I will do this. I remember having to set up a program, I think it was Silverlight, and I have no idea if this applies to Win10, though I don't recall seeing any instruction for Silverlight on the instructions that I read. Anyway, will try this out; thank you muchly!

Kim