Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 9:50 AM
Default Maryellen Larkin and Baby Peggy
Did these two Sims lately, the one being the protagonist for an upcoming American Girl doll release, while the other is a silent-era child actress who made it big prior to Shirley Temple.

Maryellen:

Peggy:

I was thinking of altering the Raon mesh a bit as it looked a bit too unkempt compared to Peg's, but what do you guys think?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 8:38 PM
Good start! For the first child, I'd suggest wider nostrils and a taller bottom lip (up and down). A close up of the face for reference would be helpful, if available. I like the hair for the second child. The second child needs a narrower mouth with much more exaggerated V in the upper lip and a more "pouty" lower lip. An in game picture would help a lot as sims tend to look a lot different in game than in CAS.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 12:07 AM
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. And yup, as what I can attest ingame, CAS tends to sparkle it up with different shaders for sims compared to the ones used in normal gameplay.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 9:33 AM
Excuse for the bump, but here's Peggy ingame along with an IRL publicity photo of her:

Scholar
#5 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 10:02 PM
Nice pose but a straight on head and shoulders shot would be good for comparison. The model appears to have a really turned up/pushed up nose and very circular eyebrows. Those might be hard to achieve. Good work!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 5:57 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 19th Jul 2015 at 8:01 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
Nice pose but a straight on head and shoulders shot would be good for comparison. The model appears to have a really turned up/pushed up nose and very circular eyebrows. Those might be hard to achieve. Good work!

I gotta look for some decent ref pics of Peggy first, but do you have any more suggestions on adjusting Sim!Peggy's facial features, or is this alright for now?

EDIT: Here's an Imgur gallery with a bunch of reference pics I gathered:
http://imgur.com/a/aw6l3

EDIT 2: Was it just me or do I need to use a septum slider for this? Based on the pics it looks like her lower nose profile's a bit flat. I tried using AWT's septum slider, but it's no effect as the lower nose is still protruding especially if I view her by the side.
Instructor
#7 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 8:56 AM
So, I was wondering a bit about the sliders available when creating children, because I'm afraid I think the two girls you're showing are very similar, apart from the styling. So I made a pot of coffee and booted Sims up. I haven't done a lot, I was mostly curious about the mouth bit. The CAS shot is cr.... ehm... not very good, because I couldn't get screenshots to work. The two pictures are to show, that in-game shots really are needed. Anyway, I mostly fiddled with upper lip thickness, mouth definition and ...ehm...upper lip definition? Sorry, I already forgot the name of that one. Particularly the mouth definition helps a lot.

Anyway, I hope it's helpful? Looking forward to seeing how it will develop
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jul 2015 at 3:50 PM
It'll be golden if you show me the slider parameters or something, and yes, 'twas a pain in the butt to get them to look right imo, partly as some of the features I wanted to alter seem locked out or something.
Instructor
#9 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 9:43 AM
Well, unfortunately I work with MC set to fiddle with multipliers, so I don't think my settings will be very useful for you. Can you do some ingame headshots?(Preferable better lit than my sad excuse for a headshot )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigerdyhr
Well, unfortunately I work with MC set to fiddle with multipliers, so I don't think my settings will be very useful for you. Can you do some ingame headshots?(Preferable better lit than my sad excuse for a headshot )

The MC set? Are you referring to a certain core hack or something? As for ingame screenshots of the sims in question, here's a pair which I took off Peggy:

And yes, I'm looking for a septum/lower nose slider so that I can better adjust it to account for the IRL person's nasal features. So far AWT's didn't do the trick for me. I'll post some more pics of Maryellen once I set her family up asap.
Instructor
#11 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 6:36 AM
Oh, sorry, I can see how that can be read like that. I meant that my mastercontroller is set to slider multipliers.

Can you do some side-by-side comparisons?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 8:20 AM
Oh, sorry, I can see how that can be read like that. I meant that my mastercontroller is set to slider multipliers.

Can you do some side-by-side comparisons?

Ahh, thought you were referring to some other core mod. As for side-by-side pics, I couldn't find a really, REALLY neutral reference pic of Peg atm, so we'll settle with this for now:

If you have any suggestions on how to make her face look less generic, please please please let me know.
Scholar
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 5:12 AM
The lips look better! I'd suggest smaller eye scale and more tear shaped eyes, wider jaw, and shorter chin, if possible. Eyes maybe a bit closer together as well. I'm not sure what to tell you about the nose. Perhaps others will have ideas. Sorry to be picky but the best comparison sim shots are inside pictures with lots of light and a neutral background. Thanks for having an in-game and reference photo in the same post. It's very helpful. Good work!
Instructor
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 6:17 AM
Everything Simmy said
Neutral expressions is also needed for the best sculpt, since Sims have complete rubber-faces

While the lips definitely look better, I would still suggest making the mouth less wide, especially the lower lip.

Looking forward to it
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 8:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
The lips look better! I'd suggest smaller eye scale and more tear shaped eyes, wider jaw, and shorter chin, if possible. Eyes maybe a bit closer together as well. I'm not sure what to tell you about the nose. Perhaps others will have ideas. Sorry to be picky but the best comparison sim shots are inside pictures with lots of light and a neutral background. Thanks for having an in-game and reference photo in the same post. It's very helpful. Good work!

Everything Simmy said
Neutral expressions is also needed for the best sculpt, since Sims have complete rubber-faces

While the lips definitely look better, I would still suggest making the mouth less wide, especially the lower lip.

Looking forward to it

You're welcome, and true, 'tis hard to find a relatively neutral pic of her. I might re-watch the documentary I have to see if it has some decent pictures e.g. from her vaudeville days and whatnot. Peggy has a flat septum afaik, and that's generally my biggest beef with TS3 as I couldn't seem to adjust it directly.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 3:33 AM
Alright, did a few tweaks with Peggy, so yeah:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 8:51 AM
Sorry for the triple-post bump, but anyone?
Instructor
#18 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 11:14 AM
It's very hard to tell from CAS, but I think the brows and the mouth still need work.

Again, it's hard with very emoted comparison pictures, but it seems her brows are more straight. Maybe even a different set of brows?
Peggy's lips are thick in the middle, but slim on the sides - also she has a very narrow mouth, so I think some of that can be fiddled with
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 2:14 AM
It's very hard to tell from CAS, but I think the brows and the mouth still need work.

Again, it's hard with very emoted comparison pictures, but it seems her brows are more straight. Maybe even a different set of brows?
Peggy's lips are thick in the middle, but slim on the sides - also she has a very narrow mouth, so I think some of that can be fiddled with

The lips are more or less average the last time I looked into her pics; she seems to be doing a kissy-lips expression hence why it looks so unusually short:

Oh, and since you asked for some more ingame shots, here's an imgur gallery I took just recently: http://imgur.com/a/uqzGB#0

I was also wondering how can I adjust the septum on my Sims' noses; it's been bugging me to no end lately especially with kids, as I couldn't get AWT's mod to work on them.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 4:45 AM
Anyone?
Instructor
#21 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 7:12 AM
I could really use some side-by-side comparison.

I'm awfully busy these days, might have better time tomorrow, but to me, it looks like her lower lip is almost folded? Can you show me a profile picture?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 10:55 AM
I could really use some side-by-side comparison.

I'm awfully busy these days, might have better time tomorrow, but to me, it looks like her lower lip is almost folded? Can you show me a profile picture?

Care to elaborate about "almost folded"? As for the side profile, here's a quick shot of Sim!Peggy and IRL:

The chin needs a bit of work, but at least I managed. Same goes with the sputum, hence why I badly needed some help on it.
Instructor
#23 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 12:01 PM
The eye bottom seems to be more uprising, it looks slightly flat now, and the nose should be more "upward", the brows should be closer to the eyes.
Good work!!
Scholar
#24 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 4:25 PM
As for Maryellen, if you want to match the doll a little more, I'd make the lips thinner and the nose smaller and more upturned. She's looking like a classic mold doll, and fuller lips/nose is more a thing on Josefina mold dolls.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 1:48 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 8th Aug 2015 at 6:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
As for Maryellen, if you want to match the doll a little more, I'd make the lips thinner and the nose smaller and more upturned. She's looking like a classic mold doll, and fuller lips/nose is more a thing on Josefina mold dolls.

Yeah, based on what the leaks show, but I'm afraid they're churning out way too many classic molds these days.

And please let me know how to alter that pesky septum thing too.
Page 1 of 2