Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 6:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
Yep, know exactly what you're talking about. Those jogging bottoms should be really matte, not shiny! I get it with lots of dresses too. I don't want all my sims to look like they have a latex fetish.

I totally agree. Even with the fuzziest texture they look shiny in black. A shinyness-slider would be epic!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 9:57 AM
I totally understand and agree with the OP. The Sims 3 seems to go kinda overboard in the shiny department when it comes to textures on clothes, and often gives them a wierd rubbery or plastic look.

Regarding the pudding faces, well I kind of agree and don't at the same time. In order to get away from the pudding you really have to spend some time in CAS when creating your sims. Of course, some mods do help. But it mostly comes down to the player in making their sims look good. I know from experience that spending some time in the creation process can actually result in some very decent, non chubby faced looking sims. Though the pudding pandemic typically hits the townies the worst I find.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#28 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 10:27 AM
Y'know what would be cool? If you guys see an outfit that is too shiny in-game, not just in CAS, snap a picture for me, and post it on this thread. I've decided I'm going to fix those fracking speculars. I don't think it's -everything- that's too shiny... the basic tee shirts, for example, for both genders, young adult, seem to be fine. But I may as well fix the damned things for everything else. Especially useful would be stuff like career outfits and so forth, that I can't test myself just going into CAS (or is there a cheat to unlock those, that doesn't require Awesomemod?).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Retired
retired moderator
#29 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 11:42 AM
As far as I can tell the only really obvious bug with ATI cards (I have one on my computer, but have used other cards on other computers with TS3 as well) is that the trees bug out in map view, ESPECIALLY with AAA enabled.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 1:45 PM Last edited by Nalia : 18th Mar 2011 at 8:40 PM. Reason: because ImageShack sucks
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Y'know what would be cool? If you guys see an outfit that is too shiny in-game, not just in CAS, snap a picture for me, and post it on this thread. I've decided I'm going to fix those fracking speculars. I don't think it's -everything- that's too shiny... the basic tee shirts, for example, for both genders, young adult, seem to be fine. But I may as well fix the damned things for everything else. Especially useful would be stuff like career outfits and so forth, that I can't test myself just going into CAS (or is there a cheat to unlock those, that doesn't require Awesomemod?).

HP,
I have been talking about how clothes look in-game, not in CAS. Here are just a couple of examples:
One of the t-shirts

The Martial Arts outfit

The fit jean trousers (you need click on the bigger size to notice it)

In my opinion, everything in dark shades becomes automatically shiny.

Edit:
One of the formal outfits. (Even the bow-tie looks disgustingly shiny.)

Twallan's MasterController has the option "Disable Clothing Filter", which, according to Twallan's description, "Removes the clothing category filter in CAS" I haven't used it but maybe it works like AM's "unlock"?
retired moderator
#31 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 1:51 PM
kiwi_tea - There's the trees thing, but also text doesn't render perfectly (especially small fonts) and there was the bug with ATI cards not having the tops of new walls show up which they fixed in 1.18. They're nothing game-breaking or major, just annoying.

Nalia - I specified in-game vs. CAS simply because sometimes things render differently in CAS vs. in-game - I've got some hairs that look like they were doused in bacon grease in CAS, but look fine in-game. Thanks for the pics - I'll try to start working on specular replacements probably tomorrow.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 2:03 PM
Yes, I know what you meant and why you felt the need to make the distinction between in-game vs CAS. I just pointed out that the problem is actually found in-game, which matters the most. No matter what material you use shiny "feature" rules them all!

If you can fix how clothes appear I, for one, would be grateful! Thank you for all your efforts -- successful or not.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 2:25 PM
HP I love you :lovestruc I'm going on my game in a bit so will take some pics of the offending items then. Many of the clothes are fine, but the shiny ones do look ridiculous.
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
It is not odd, it is exactly as HystericalParoxysm described it above. I have noticed it in my game too -- one of the reasons I always end up using specific colours and fabrics. I hate that.

It is possible that with better cards you see it. I have a rather old card, good enough for the Sims 3 but not fantastic. So maybe that is why I don't see it as much as you do. Please..I was not using the word odd as an insult to you, just odd that I don't see it as well. Unfortunately, its far too easy to read insults into a post on the forums but that is now how I meant it.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 6:30 PM
Especially useful would be stuff like career outfits and so forth, that I can't test myself just going into CAS (or is there a cheat to unlock those, that doesn't require Awesomemod?).

Hi HP. As far as I know, to get the career outfits in your CAS, you have the cheatcode "unlockoutfits on", and I'm pretty sure it works without Awesome Mod. Just type it before entering the "Create a Sims" thing.

I think it also works with the dresser thing and the Makeover station from Ambitions. (I'm really sorry for using so much the "thing" word in my post, but looks like my english doesn't seem to work properly today... My brain must need rest. :p)
Alchemist
#36 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 7:45 PM
Yeah, the shine and pudding-faces are a big minus for TS3, but it's better than TS2 if you have sliders and all that jazz. I'd be more than grateful if someone would make some kind of a shine slider.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
retired moderator
#37 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 7:48 PM
Thanks Fyrefly, I'll give that a try.

TheCreeper - I don't think a shine slider's going to be possible since there's really no mechanism to control shine in-game. Besides, does anyone -really- want all-over-greasy sweatpants, ever? Especially when the actual shine for an item can be controlled by the pattern applied, and doesn't have to be controlled by the clothing item itself?

Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 1:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
It is possible that with better cards you see it. I have a rather old card, good enough for the Sims 3 but not fantastic. So maybe that is why I don't see it as much as you do. Please..I was not using the word odd as an insult to you, just odd that I don't see it as well. Unfortunately, its far too easy to read insults into a post on the forums but that is now how I meant it.

I didn't take it personally at all, and I didn't "read" any insult, in any form, behind the lines; I took it as a simple opinion, and I replied by giving mine.
Test Subject
#39 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 7:50 PM
I hate that, too.
On most of the EA clothes I simply use that grey fabric pattern and color it. I guess it's really annoying, but nothing that can't be fixed.
Test Subject
#40 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 9:27 PM Last edited by Vueiy_Visarelli : 28th Feb 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by RoseCity
I know - you have to compensate. Like I use that sweatshirt knit type fabric if I want to use a solid color on clothing that tends to be shiny. But I think those pajama bottoms that HP mentioned are the worst. The shininess really gets to me - it reminds me of polyester from the 70s. (I have an Nvidia card also.)

One way I compensate is using lighter colors (unless I want the rubber/leather look). I've noticed that it's hard to tell how high the specularity (shininess) is when you use a lighter color. The same theory applies for other clothing items with weird effects on them (like stuff using metalic shaders); use a different color type (light, dark, pale, intense, etc.).

Still, I'd rather not have to compensate at all (some items would just suit certain characters better if they were dark--and not shiny), so I'm looking forward to HP fixing the specularity.
Instructor
#41 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 9:40 PM
According to SimGuruMeatball it's the drawback of the create-a-style tool. He said that the textures definitely looked better in TS2. Since light interacts with with every structure differently, he explained, they would have had to program it for every possible structure which would be impossible so they went with something generic so not all of the textures look good. Sorry if what I said doesn't make sense I'm just paraphrasing here. lol

ETA:I don't recall people needing extra sliders for TS2. This is a pure TS3 anomaly. The sliders are terrible and the sims look doll-like even when you use good quality CC skin and eyes. I also noticed that the sims look different in-game than they look in CAS. When I first started making TS3 sims without CC, I would something looked good in CAS and then I would go in-game and the sim would look just aweful.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Instructor
#42 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 10:10 PM
Keep in mind that this thread was originally made in 2010.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Test Subject
#43 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EmotedLlama
Keep in mind that this thread was originally made in 2010.

Argh, you're right, I missed that!
Forum Resident
#44 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 12:22 AM
I don't agree, I LOVE the look of the sims 3 sims. Especially with all the custom skins available, there lip textures, knees, bones in the back, is way better than the previous two games. As for the in game textures, I have a pretty decent graphics card so my textures turn up great. I'm a big fan of the way sims 3 sims look, so I'm definitely biased. I think it just depends on what you like. I've played sims 2 sims, and I don't like the graphics that comes with it. It looks like an 80's game to me. (shrug)
Instructor
#45 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 12:45 AM Last edited by virgalibabe : 29th Feb 2012 at 1:06 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Simsdestroyer
I don't agree, I LOVE the look of the sims 3 sims. Especially with all the custom skins available, there lip textures, knees, bones in the back, is way better than the previous two games. As for the in game textures, I have a pretty decent graphics card so my textures turn up great. I'm a big fan of the way sims 3 sims look, so I'm definitely biased. I think it just depends on what you like. I've played sims 2 sims, and I don't like the graphics that comes with it. It looks like an 80's game to me. (shrug)

It's not the graphics card. Like I said the SimGuru actually admitted that not everything will look code the way they coded the game.

This was the question
Quote:
Is there anything you can do to make cloth look like cloth instead of rubber?

This was the answer he gave
Quote:
Sure, more than happy to answer

This is something I am not too happy with either and it's one of the few downsides with our Create-A-Style system. In real life, light acts differently depending on what kind of material it hits, it can get absorbed, spread, reflected etc. But due to the fact that with our system, you can put any kind of material on a surface, and since the only specularity (shininess) property that comes with the actual material in our game is intensity, you can’t get those different behaviors. We are forced to use a global setting that works for most cases, rather than the most optimal, thus it looks a bit weird in some cases. In theory, we could expose all material properties to the player, but it would not be very user friendly and it is also a matter of optimization. It would be very expensive (read performance heavy) to have a huge amount of different types of material settings running around at the same time.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Theorist
#46 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 1:30 AM
I read that whole thread where he conversed with us; SimGuruMeatball is the Sims 3 Art Director.

So yeah, I know this is an old thread but this subject comes up every now and then because some clothes still look like rubber! :-)

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Instructor
#47 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 2:23 AM
Well I just copy pasted the reason once again I rather have the freedom of create-a-style even though the clothes may end up looking rubbery.

Quote:
Instructor
#48 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 3:38 AM
kiwi_tea - There's the trees thing, but also text doesn't render perfectly (especially small fonts) and there was the bug with ATI cards not having the tops of new walls show up which they fixed in 1.18. They're nothing game-breaking or major, just annoying.

Oh.. THAT's why my font is so stupid looking and hard to read... :/

waiter, there's a conundrum in my soup
The Adom Legacy
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 3:57 AM
With a few default replacements and various CC applied, does this look pudding-faced to you?

I made her, btw.
Scholar
#50 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 4:38 AM
It's pretty puddingface imo, yes. Pretty, though.

Problem is if you change the hair color, eye color, clothing, etc, there's nothing really remarkable about the face. It's a bit generic.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Page 2 of 4