Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 3:24 PM
Default About Pianos?
Hi :3
So I've decided that I wanna learn how to play piano by myself, and I will need to buy a keyboard.
I've found one called Yamaha DGX-650 Black
Are there anyone who knows if this is a somewhat ok keyboard to start with?
And do you have any tips for a newbie like me?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 4:35 PM
I learned keyboard at school for 5 years. They look similar to the keyboards we used so I presume it would be a good keyboard to start with.
I don't really have any tips specific to keyboard, but you should be able to find a lot of useful videos on YouTube, but it would be better if you hire someone to teach you.
Also, it helps to get a sharpie or marker and write on which keys are which. Might ruin the look of the keyboard, but I found it way easier like that. Get something that would wash off afterwards if you can.

Though, it's been years since I played keyboard and I only played it once a week in Music lessons. So I'm no expert.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 5:05 PM
The only thing that I know of to consider with a keyboard is that it's large enough to have all or most of the keys. Many keyboards are smaller. Oh, there is another thing, they can make key boards with a touch sensitivity so that it feels like a real piano. That might be nice. Also, some of them have the ability to record music you compose in written form. That's another plus.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 5:20 PM
If it's piano specifically you're interested in (rather than playing the keyboard), you need to make sure the keyboard has weighted keys. This is not quite so vital for beginners but after a while, the difference in playing an electronic keyboard and a piano keytboard becomes a problem (you use your fingers differently). Otherwise, the general guidance is the bigger the keyboard (no. of keys), the higher the quality of the instrument (with pianos, it's the height of the sound board). Yamaha are generally a good make (for an amateur) though you pay that bit more. Surprisingly, that advice is good for both pianos and electric keyboards.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 7:16 PM
@VerDeTerre Yamaha DGX-650 has 88 keys and has the weighted keys like on a piano, so I've already thought about that
@maxon
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 8:17 PM
A digital piano like you're looking at is certainly good (I have a Casio Celviano something-or-other that I got for a bit over $1000 at my primary residence), but you might be surprised how cheap you can find a secondhand actual piano... even an upright or a baby grand, sometimes. A lot of people don't want to take something that big and unwieldy with them when they move, so they'll list them on Craigslist or something similar for incredibly cheap prices- my friend got a full upright piano for $50, and you'll even see them listed for free sometimes, if you'll move it yourself!
Just something to think about- a real piano requires a lot more caretaking than a digital one, but you know it's the real deal!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 8:25 PM
@Zarathustra I know you can get cheap ones second hand and even free pianos. But I am a 14 year old girl, and I only have a little room where I live so I don't have the space haha c:
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 9:05 PM
Well 88 keys is the standard for an upright piano so that sounds good. Are you going to learn to read music or learn to improvise (or both)? Do you know what sort of materials you are going to use? What kind of music are you interested in?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Octopuss
@Zarathustra I know you can get cheap ones second hand and even free pianos. But I am a 14 year old girl, and I only have a little room where I live so I don't have the space haha c:

Haha, alright, fair enough! Lack of space (and portability) is why I decided to go with spending the money for a digital piano as opposed to getting a cheaper real piano too! As far as digital pianos go, there's a couple things I'll mention (and please forgive me for being a little long-winded here! ):

First, looking at the Yamaha you mentioned, it looks like it doesn't come standard with the three floor pedals you'd find on a real piano- you'll definitely want to buy whatever accessory pedals are designed for this model, since there's a lot of music out there that doesn't sound right if you can't use pedals to alter the sound. (don't get a single-pedal accessory- spring for the one that gets you all three- trust me, you'll be happier!)

Second, there's a big difference between a keyboard and a digital piano, and it looks like that model might be trying to bridge the difference, which you shouldn't really try to do at that low of a price. (it's hard to tell for sure from just the quick look I did) With a keyboard, it's fine to have hundreds of sounds and rhythms and whatnot to play around with, as long as you know that they're all going to be well below the quality of an actual instrument. A digital piano should basically just be as close to the sound of a real piano as you can get- bells and whistles (pun intended) just get in the way!

Third, Yamaha is a great manufacturer, and when I was shopping, I looked at a lot of their models myself, but I ended up going with a Casio, so don't get hung up on one brand if you can help it. I originally like Yamaha models more, but I got a Casio because I liked the feel of it more once I played a few different models in the store's showroom- which leads me to my last point.

While you can get a lot out of looking online and comparing the features of digital pianos, for something like this you really really want to be able to play it before you spend that kind of money on it! Even if it means a few hours drive to find a store with enough of a selection for you to do some decent comparisons, when you're talking about spending more than $1000, it's worth it! (plus, if you're actually in the store, then you have a chance of getting a salesman who'll be able to give you a discount! I got my digital piano for a couple hundred dollars less than the online price, since I actually went to the store!) Like I said- worth it!

Also, since this is a Sims site, here's the piano sheet music for those awesome TS1 Build Mode piano themes!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Well 88 keys is the standard for an upright piano so that sounds good. Are you going to learn to read music or learn to improvise (or both)? Do you know what sort of materials you are going to use? What kind of music are you interested in?

@maxon As right now I want to learn how to play songs I like.
But I talked with my parents and they will let me get some piano classes before I buy the keyboard so I'm sure that it's something for me, so I will get some classes.
I am planning to learn how to read sheet music.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 11:00 AM
@Zarathustral
The website where I found it says it comes with a pedal, also it says that it has 552 sounds where they mention Grand Piano, "Natural", "Sweet", "Live" and "Cool"
And don't get me wrong, I've been looking at all brands they had on the website, it was just the Yamaha that were the one with 88 keys and weighted keys to a somewhat ok price.

Oh wait I might have found a new shop that sells digital pianos
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 11:09 AM
Oh my god, I've been looking at the wrong thing the whole time hahahaha
Ok so I've found Yamaha P-45 Black, Yamaha P-115 Black and Casio PX-150 Black
Good you pointed out the difference @Zarathustral haha
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 1:57 PM
@maxon As right now I want to learn how to play songs I like.
But I talked with my parents and they will let me get some piano classes before I buy the keyboard so I'm sure that it's something for me, so I will get some classes.
I am planning to learn how to read sheet music.

It's a bit chicken-and-egg with learning to play. The problem is that it is a physical skill as well as an intellectual and creative one. Without something to practice on, you will very quickly become frustrated at your lack of progress. I would suggest (as I used to advise my own students back in the day) that if you want to try it out (and that seems sensible), try to organise an instrument you can practice on in the meantime, even if it is only for 10-15 minutes a day. Would your school permit you to use their piano for instance, or a local church or even a friend? Bear in mind with a friend that that is going to mean (ideally) visiting their house every day.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:41 PM
It's a bit chicken-and-egg with learning to play. The problem is that it is a physical skill as well as an intellectual and creative one. Without something to practice on, you will very quickly become frustrated at your lack of progress. I would suggest (as I used to advise my own students back in the day) that if you want to try it out (and that seems sensible), try to organise an instrument you can practice on in the meantime, even if it is only for 10-15 minutes a day. Would your school permit you to use their piano for instance, or a local church or even a friend? Bear in mind with a friend that that is going to mean (ideally) visiting their house every day.

@maxon I haven't started yet, I will start when I've bought the digital piano.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:15 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Jun 2015 at 6:29 PM.
I tried learning to play the piano when I was ten, but gave up a few years later. I only had this tiny keyboard that lacked at least an octave on each side. The keys were too easy to press down, and made the same noise no matter how hard the key was pressed. It also didn't have the option for pedals. So when I once in a while sat by a proper piano, I didn't quite manage to handle the difference, with much heavier keys that could sound soft and hard, with pedals that could drag the sounds out, and with all keys actually available.

So get a quality keyboard while you're at it. That way you can learn playing the piano properly. The best would be a proper piano, of course, but that depends on your economy and how much space you've got to spare. For practice, a keyboard is just fine.

If you want a cheap option, you might be lucky and find a used keyboard (or even a piano!) on the net.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:32 PM
@maxon I haven't started yet, I will start when I've bought the digital piano.

Oh sorry - that's not what I got from this:
But I talked with my parents and they will let me get some piano classes before I buy the keyboard.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 6:43 PM
Oh sorry - that's not what I got from this:

@maxon Oh yeah sorry...But it's not like it's gonna be for half a year or so without a digital piano. That was mostly because of the price for the keyboard, my parents wouldn't let me buy it before I'd at least got 5 classes, which would be 5 weeks, but since the digital piano is cheaper I don't think it will be for that long.
I don't have any places I can borrow a keyboard or a piano, my school doesn't let you play on the instruments unless you have music classes, and I don't.
Don't know anyone that plays piano or owns one either.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I tried learning to play the piano when I was ten, but gave up a few years later. I only had this tiny keyboard that lacked at least an octave on each side. The keys were too easy to press down, and made the same noise no matter how hard the key was pressed. It also didn't have the option for pedals. So when I once in a while sat by a proper piano, I didn't quite manage to handle the difference, with much heavier keys that could sound soft and hard, with pedals that could drag the sounds out, and with all keys actually available.

Sounds about right! This is why understanding the difference between a keyboard and a digital piano is so important when you're looking at electronic instruments! I tend to consider a keyboard as being something of a glorified toy, with lots of stuff that's fun to play around with, but not all that good musically- a digital piano is basically supposed to be an electronic version of the real deal, and in as many ways as possible, it should look, feel, sound, and play like one! That's why I so strongly say that you'd want the opportunity to actually play the pianos in person before you drop that kind of money on them!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 8:54 PM
Does anybody know if a Yamaha P-45 is ok for a newbie? It's the cheapest one of them all haha
Mad Poster
#20 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 2:21 AM
Does anybody know if a Yamaha P-45 is ok for a newbie? It's the cheapest one of them all haha

Doesn't look bad, and I'd certainly say go for something like that instead of a keyboard! Just know that you are going to run into a few things with a lower-end model like that. Portability factors into most of them- it may be a selling point for a lot of people, but it also means that any stand that goes with the piano won't be as stable, so you may not want to leave it set up all the time for fear of knocking into it and sending it tumbling to the ground. Having the keyboard itself be detachable and portable also means there's less room for speakers, which usually results in a tinnier, more metallic, and more artificial sound. It'll still probably be orders of magnitude better and more realistic than a keyboard, but if you're willing to spend a bit more and have one that's not immediately portable, you can get a much better sound quality out of it.
The two models I had narrowed my search down to by the time I finally bought mine were this one, from Yamaha , and the one that I actually ended up buying, this one, from Casio - both really good sound, and not too expensive! Online price for both of these strikes me as being quite a bit higher than what I saw in stores, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was true for the ones you've been looking at too, so I say again, if it's at all possible, go to a brick-and-mortar store and try some different models out before you buy- you'll get a much better sense of what you're buying, and it can be a lot cheaper that way too!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 10:15 AM
@Zarathustra Thank you very much ^^
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 9:38 PM
don't even know if anyone remembers this post at all, but ya know, thought it would be funny to update y'all!!!

so i got the yamaha p-115 nearly a year ago, got piano lessons for like a few months but stopped because something happened with my teacher, but i'm still playing today, and i'm actually quite good considering i have played for nearly a year. i'd like to say thanks for helping me out ^^ it definetly helped me looking for the right e-piano yass
Mad Poster
#23 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 6:36 AM
My opinion on pianos is I have failed too many times to play. I had a sucky education compared to my father's. I rather shove a baby grand piano into the same gorge, waiting for the dissonant groan to rise where my father permanently lost his keys while hiking to photograph mushrooms and slime molds.

Unless you have the extra money to be taught, I advise against it.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)