Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 1:22 PM
I'm having trouble with textures
Does anyone know of a good tutorial for textures with SimPe? I've got my first mesh in the game (yay!) but I can't get the textures to work properly

Thankyou in advance!

Rachael :howdy:
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:06 PM
Default Me again :)
This is my chair, before adding textures (it's still using the cloned chairs texture).
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:11 PM Last edited by missrer : 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:14 PM. Reason: not quite making sense!
Default ...and here is how it's supposed to look!
lol, if I get this right once, I promise never to bug anyone too much again! :bump:

This is how it is supposed to look...
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:12 PM
It seems to me that you have to modify the UV map (i.e. tha way the texture is applied to the mesh) to match your new mesh. You can't do that with SimPE, and I don't very much about this. I hope that someone else will give a good advice.

EDIT:
I see your second picture right now, you posted it while I was writing.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:14 PM
That is not a SimPE issue. That is a UV mapping issue. Before importing your mesh into the game, you need to assign UV coordinates. I like the program UVMapper... easy to use, good free version. It's at uvmapper.com if you're interested. They also have good tutorials for using it on the site, and if you google uvmapper tutorial you get lots of good hits.

A UV map is a set of instructions that tells any 3D program (including the game) what part of a 2D texture to apply to what part of the associated 3D mesh.

RG
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:16 PM
Sounds good to me! Going to download right now. Thank you for your help
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 4:32 PM
Default giving up...
Giving up... at least for tonight! I still can't get it to work but I will try again tomorrow. I'm using a 3dmax object, taking it into milkshape, then simpe... somewhere after that I am getting completely confused. I've downloaded the software you suggested, I think i just need a good night's sleep (it's 3.30am!) and I will get back into it when I am awake tomorrow lol! TY all for your help

Rachael
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 4:53 PM
Default Giving up again
I've tried the uv mapper, and I'm still having the same problems. I've experimented for hours and got three results: original texture instead of new; no texture at all (invisible!) and flashing objects! I know I am doing something very wrong but at this point I am totally clueless! I've tried working with a new 3ds model (which I export as an autodesk 3ds model into milkshape), keeping my texture co-ordinates (I've uv-mapped them). The tutorials I've read so far aren't covering textures? I have gone by the book so far but I think somewhere in converting the 3d models I'm stuffing up :confused: Another question too, do I keep the shadow boxes etc in my 3d objects? My hopeful table pic is attached... Sorry I'm such a pain lol!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 5:17 PM
When something's invisible, it's usually because that part (that group) isn't named the same thing as it originally was. Your mapping may be correct. Your group probably got renamed. (Look in the GMDC items 3 tab).

Flashing usually means the texture named in the matd isn't the same one as the texture in your file, OR the matd isn't named the same thing as the one called in the shape file's "parts" section.

Original texture means it's calling the original matd. (It can't find YOUR shape file because the reference in resource node is wrong, or the reference in gmnd is wrong.)

Do the first three posts in the following thread. Your file will be linked to itself properly and then you can proceed with checking out your uv mapping.
http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42014
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 1:11 AM
Default Thankyou!!!
It is now working perfectly, thank you so much for all your help. I didn't realise the Mesh Tool Tutorial had been updated, it's much easier to follow now. Thank you all again soooooooooo much for your help!

Rachael :howdy: