Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2010 at 12:15 PM Last edited by phuc28 : 21st Feb 2010 at 12:37 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Problem with Store Items
Hi everyone!
Recently there is a problem with Store Items (or Store Content) occur on 1.8/2.3 patch (High-end loft stuff needs patch 1.9, which means all HELS users will have to encounter with this). Items download from the store (paid items!) couldn't be used in the game! NickJohn from the sims 3 official forum wrote:

Quote:
1.82 was an attempt to thwart custom content sharing. Unfortunately, the code that accompanies the item conflicts with the game especially if the game is an older version that has been patched. Ex:1.06 to 1.4 to 1.6 to 1.7 etc. The point of including a validation binary was to guarentee that objects would only work that were purchased directly from the EA store. Unfortaunate side effect was that any games that had mods or pirated software, awsomemod, a borrowed or shared texture or anything downloaded from a community site messed up a good previously working game. What galls me is I spoke to a coder and compiler who works a EA I met at a New Years party and he explained to me that it is all a big joke at EA about the Sims game. To respect his privacy, I told him I would not reveal who he was so he did tell me a few other things. They are going to make the game and patching mandatory to run the game, so that any custom content must be bought from EA, smart business profits, dumb for the developing community. Which means, if you run the Sims3 and are conected to the internet, you will get a notice that the game needs to be patched or it will not launch. So here's what I make of this, play the game as made by EA, buy there stuff if you like it, don't mess around with mods and third party stuff as it effects the next patch that will block some other work around to all this. It seems to me that this video game company is more invested in protecting its intellectual property than providing a good stable game. It's in their right to do so, read your EULA, it is also your right not to buy their games or expansion packs or whatevere they produce if you don't like the way they code their software.

According to his words, EA has tried to protect their profits and ignore the sims 3 community like us. But this problem can be solved by extracting sims3pack to package file(s) and install them like installing a mod. There is one thing you need to know that the more package files installed, the more your game will be slow down. The game consider package files as the core files. More package files means more things to load so the game will run slowly (actuality proved!). This will not happen to sims3pack file somehow.

There is another way. All the exchange items will not be affected by that problem. They can be normally installed and used. That's the point. We could convert all the sims3pack to package then convert them again to sims3pack. Doing this will make those files work perfectly with the game, i think, so i look forward to a program which can do these work massively.

Do you have any idea?

There is also a recommendation that all items should be converted to sims3pack instead of package file (only good for mod/hack).
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Feb 2010 at 12:25 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 21st Feb 2010 at 12:42 PM.
We have a stickied thread in the Help section (where I have moved your thread) about sims3pack content not working post-patches, with suggested fixes.

But the bit about ALL other custom content not working or borking the game simply isn't true - outdated custom content can cause game issues, but 99% of stuff still works fine with the latest patches, and stuff like Awesomemod gets updates for patches quite quickly.

My game works fine with a bunch of Store content (extracted from the sims3packs as package files) as well as just regular custom stuff. You can also combine your package files into one big package and have no real negative impact in performance due to having bunches of packages (the game treats them just as it does its dbc files). There's links to instructions on how to do that covered in Game Help:Improvign Sims 3 Performancewiki. I haven't combined mine and my game still runs fine besides a bit of an increase in initial loading time (maybe an extra minute), but I have a very nice PC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 10:20 AM
I suggest playing Riverview from saved game file (unpatched version).
In the Arena
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 9:59 AM
All the alternative tools that are currently known to being developed are in the Launcher sticky that HP mentioned.

So, are you having problems with your game in getting it to recognize CC or is this thread about expressing your opinion on that quote?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 4:44 AM
everyone should know what happened to their game
shiny!
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 5:03 AM
Sorry but this is not a discussion forum. Please make sure you read forum rules before making posts. These can be found in the stickies and announcements within forums. This forum is only for broken games. Since you say you only made this to inform people, and not get help, I am going to have to close this. Also, as others have said, we already have a sticky with the correct information to help our forum users.
Locked thread | Locked by: callistra Reason: not a help thread