Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired
retired moderator
#26 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 4:15 PM
Is there any chance of overcoming the issue with the dropped city description? The way EA have integrated this feature so poorly into the game makes me worried that this will become a regular issue for CAW users. Will weather, for example, be exclusive to a particular town just as "citydom" appears to be for Bridgeport?

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 4:19 PM Last edited by zano972 : 13th Nov 2010 at 9:11 PM.
An another BIG THANK YOU simsample for these explications. Now i really understand what you mean.

have a nice day.
Theorist
#28 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
So- if we have a mod that cleans up these vehicles, it looks like we need to manually replace them as they don't respawn?

Not sure what you mean. Awesome clears derelict cars from the hood to save on bloat and bugs, but it is accidentally also wiping out the food trucks in a non-bridgeport city.
Another way AM appears not to understand the modification is apparent when you go to neighbourhhod view. It flags all taxis as derelict, resulting in 50 - 60 ugly extra markers on your map.
This will presumably be fixed when Pescado (and Twallan?) get wind of the problem.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#29 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 7:20 PM
we have the food trucks and parking spaces unlocked over on pretty sims. Bill did it a couple of days ago, only problem is that the food truck stays there all the time, that's not a problem for me and likely not a big problem to anyone who wants them.

How do we import this resource into a world? I mean I can't find a way to import anything in CAW. I'd like to give this a try
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 11:15 AM Last edited by simsample : 11th Feb 2011 at 1:26 PM. Reason: Re-linked images
kiwi_tea- I've been trying to fix this but with no luck yet. Sunset Valley will keep the correct world description when changed to a city, but custom worlds will not. The difference between custom worlds and Sunset/ Twinbrook/ Bridgeport is that custom worlds use a text string in the WDDT:

Whereas Bridgeport, Twinbrook and Sunset reference the game data files:

The differences in 0x296A6258 are as follows-
Suburb:

City:

So far I can't figure out what it is that this change does that would affect the WDDT. If you have any ideas or information, it would be much appreciated! For the weather bit, if you mean the 'weather' in Bridgeport then that is just as with Twinbrook and created with ini files in the world file.

tizerist- I think Twallan is aware of this, and is (or perhaps has?) dealing with it in Overwatch. What I was meaning was, if the trucks are deleted by a mod, will they respawn? The answer seems to be yes, although you need several truck spaces before this occurs, and I can only make it happen in a city.

fluttereyes- the one you are referring to on PrettySims is a clone of the food truck and parking space, which means that the game treats it as a new object. If Bill's intention was to just 'unlock' the food truck then he/she has done it wrong- to do that all that should have been done is to extract the OBJD and change that to flag it to appear in the catalog. Bill's truck and parking space will behave differently to the in-game food truck, as it is not the same object- it may also not be future proof, as any changes made to the food trucks in future patches will not be present in Bill's trucks.

For importing this resource into a world, I explain how (using S3Pe) in my post above- just import it to a world file. Please don't share changed worlds yet though- we don't know if they are 'safe' yet- we know there is a problem with the world description, so there may be other problems we haven't discovered yet. It would be good if you could try it out and let us know of any glitches you find, though.
Screenshots
Retired
retired moderator
#31 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 12:03 PM
I was more concerned about future implementation of seasons, snow etc. It just baffles me that they would make making cities so much less accessible, and an aspect of the very world file itself. It seems odd to take these features, which were largely in the hands of players in TS2, and put them firmly in the hands of the more technically-minded.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 12:51 PM
I'm hoping they will build it in to a future release of CAW, but don't hold your breath!
Scholar
#33 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 7:07 PM
I don't suppose this is any different to a vacation hood in WA then. They won't want us to be able to build them as then they couldn't sell worlds to us, like the Barnacle Bay one. I hope you guys crack this, good luck.
Theorist
#34 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 6:16 PM
Something I just noticed that had flew right under my radar because of windows lack of a 'sort by folder size' filter or to display folder sizes in windows.
My save game has shot up by 130 mb since doing this trick!! I happened to randomly check the folder size and it was 370 mb!
Still, fine by me. As long as it is playing smoothly.
Anyone else had that??

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 11:13 AM
That's most likely due to the traffic in a city- also, perhaps more townies generated. That does sound like a lot though- I'll check it out.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 8:27 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 20th Nov 2010 at 11:42 PM.
Would this flag effect the ambient sounds played at all? I've only just booted up LN for the first time and have noticed that there seem to be a lot less bird sounds in Bridgeport. Or I suppose it could just be that there is extra traffic sound.
I'm going to give this resource in my CAW world a go sometime soon.

ETA: I CANNOT get the food truck parking space to show up in my game no matter what. Do I need the city resource added first? The truck shows up fine in the debug catalogue but not the space for it.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 6:38 PM
Menaceman44- not sure whether this gives differing ambient sounds, but there is definitely a lot more noise from traffic (the 'fake' taxis). Perhaps you could listen out for that when you test, and let us know?

Regarding the food truck space- it should show up in buydebug> Misc, in catalog the thumbnail looks like a regular parking space. Are you using the ones I enabled or someone else's? You don't need the city resource for them to show up.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 6:50 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 22nd Nov 2010 at 9:49 PM.
I was using yours. I'll give them another go and see if I can find them.

ETA: I found the food truck space. I had been overlooking it as I expected it to look like it does in game, not like the firetruck parking space.
I'm yet to test my world in the game properly as either a city or suburb.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 9:32 AM
Menaceman44- don't forget to backup before you do test this- I haven't had a chance to look into the WDDT problem, and also there may be other glitches which I haven't discovered yet. So keep a safe copy of your world!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 5:26 PM Last edited by yeabil : 25th Nov 2010 at 6:16 PM.
Hi

Just tested it in Simsville and it worked! I used this person's version of the food truck and parking space : http://nene.modthesims.info/download.php?t=424758

It worked with trucks moving about the city and parking!

Cheers

Simbil

Will play more to test.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 8:19 PM Last edited by yeabil : 26th Nov 2010 at 1:48 AM.
The traffic seems to work fine and game performace was fine but I did come accross a major glitch. It seemed to interfere with school and telling me that it was not in session and no way to get to it even though earlier it said one hour to go. Not sure if it also affects jobs.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Something I just noticed that had flew right under my radar because of windows lack of a 'sort by folder size' filter or to display folder sizes in windows.
My save game has shot up by 130 mb since doing this trick!! I happened to randomly check the folder size and it was 370 mb!
Still, fine by me. As long as it is playing smoothly.
Anyone else had that??

I just tried, made a copy of a game I've been playing. When I saved the modified it went from 161mb to 240mb. I did not notice any performace hits yet.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info, Yeabil- have you had any luck with the school yet? Try deleting and replacing the lot.

Thanks for the info!
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 3:01 PM
Guys would you mind telling me EXACTLY and CLEARLY how can I turn my custom world into a city? If you can add pictures would be great :p
Mad Poster
#45 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 3:26 PM
First you will need to download the resource from the first post on the first page.
Then, as I understand it, you need to open your .world file with S3PE. When you have done that, right click and choose 'import from file'. Then select the file you downloaded from the first post.
Save your file that now has the new resource in it and that should be your world changed to a city.
I hope I got that all right.

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 3:32 PM
Got it ... at first I opened the downoaded file then I imported it into the world file without opening it XD
Top Secret Researcher
#47 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 4:22 PM
Just wanted to you that AM has been updated and doesn't wipe out the food trucks anymore.

Stupid question: would injecting the needed city resource/tag into the food truck itself or in the parking space itself would work? I guess the game would implode but hell you never know with EA...
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 6:20 PM
It works... but when I tested on my new world, it was empity... and when I placed one building, no car were around the world... should I wait to populate my city to see cars??
Field Researcher
#49 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 8:38 PM
Works like a charm. I put it in a custom world and instantly there were taxis around and food trucks.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
First you will need to download the resource from the first post on the first page.
Then, as I understand it, you need to open your .world file with S3PE. When you have done that, right click and choose 'import from file'. Then select the file you downloaded from the first post.
Save your file that now has the new resource in it and that should be your world changed to a city.
I hope I got that all right.

Thanks Menaceman, the only bit you missed out was FIRST backup YOUR FILES!

Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
Just wanted to you that AM has been updated and doesn't wipe out the food trucks anymore.

Stupid question: would injecting the needed city resource/tag into the food truck itself or in the parking space itself would work? I guess the game would implode but hell you never know with EA...

Thanks for the information, MiniMimi! Also, thanks for volunteering to test out your idea. I'd like to know if that would work, too! Don't forget to FIRST backup YOUR FILES though!

LS_Bari, I noticed the fake taxis right away in my unpopulated world.
Locked thread
Page 2 of 9